Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLucy25
Restless Wind
Male User Gallery

colonizing spawn to substrate/ misting and fanning
    #16781836 - 09/03/12 02:35 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

So my Rye jars are almost done, for moving them to the bulk substrate do I just mix about an inch of manure and straw (pasturized) then take the spawn and mix with that then put another inch on top (1:4)?

Also looking to get cake tins for the substrate, What are the best demensions? I have 3 quart jars and I want a quart in each tin? misting 3 times a day and fanning for 3 does that sound good?

--------------------
"Lady finger, dipped in moonlight, writing "What for?" across the morning sky.
Sunlight splatters, dawn with answer, darkness shrugs and bids the day goodbye."

"Waitin till that deal go down, dontcha let that deal go down."

"Leavin Texas 4th day of july, clouds so low sun so hot and the eagles fill the sky."

"shake it shake it sugaree"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheDeathryder
Reaper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hell Flag
Re: colonizing spawn to substrate/ misting and fanning [Re: Lucy25]
    #16781881 - 09/03/12 02:44 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

The "Everything A New Cultivator Needs To Know!" link in my signature will tell you everything you need to know in regards to misting and fanning.

You'll need to so some math while your shopping for your tins.  Also keep in mind that mycelium will eat through aluminum.  If you want to spawn at a 1:4 ratio, you'll need a pan that will hold 5 quarts of spawn/substrate at a substrate depth of 2 to 4 inches.  What you need to do to find the right pan is to measure the length and width, then find the volume at 4 inches.  1 quart has a volume of 57.75 inches.  Length x Width x 4 = volume, and you want to get as close to volume = 57.75 x 5 as possible.

When you spawn, just mix your spawn and substrate together, holding back just enough substrate to make a thin layer to cover any exposed grains on the top.

OfflineLucy25
Restless Wind
Male User Gallery

Re: colonizing spawn to substrate/ misting and fanning [Re: TheDeathryder]
    #16782152 - 09/03/12 03:27 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Ahh I did not know the Myc thing about eating through Aluminum thanks for saving me there! (this is my first bulk grow I usually do BRF cakes in shotgun) But thanks for the Link!

Another thing, I don't think I want all my spawn in one tub or container because If one gets contamed I dont want to have to toss all of them being my first time I would like one quart of spawn to x substrate in different containers...do you think this is a good idea?
or should I jsut put in all in one like you said?

BTW I like how your sig helps noobs, I hate when people tell me to read because I do read its just theres so much contrasting opinions and methods its hard to decide what works best you know? so 5 mushies to you sir thank you

--------------------
Sunlight splatters, dawn with answer, darkness shrugs and bids the day goodbye."

"Leavin Texas 4th day of july, clouds so low sun so hot and the eagles fill the sky."

OfflineTheDeathryder
Reaper
Male User Gallery

#16782212 - 09/03/12 03:35 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry my wording wasn't very clear in my previous post, my mind and fingers operate at 2 very different speeds :smile:

1 quarts of spawn to 4 quarts of substrate makes a 1:4 spawn ratio.  1 quart of spawn and 4 quarts of substrate also creates 5 quarts of spawn/substrate.  You have 3 jars, so you can make 3 pans with a total of 5 quarts of spawn/substrate mix each.

Multiple containers is always a great way to expand your mycelium, protect yourself against contaminates, and maximize your harvest weights!  Your doing great so far :smile:

I made that post because of my own frustrations as a noob :smile:  When I first started, the mass of information thrown at me by the search engine in a completely unorganized manner was very overwhelming, so I made a goal to assemble a good core set of teks together in 1 location to help other new cultivators become pro's and help spread the love of mushrooms to as many people as possible! :smile:

OfflineLucy25
Restless Wind
Male User Gallery

Re: colonizing spawn to substrate/ misting and fanning [Re: TheDeathryder]
    #16783080 - 09/03/12 06:13 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

yeah well that link really helps, unfortunately i lost a jar I had 4 i shook it too much and shocked the myc :frown: wish i new this link before I did that!

--------------------

OfflineTheDeathryder
Reaper
Male User Gallery

#16783087 - 09/03/12 06:15 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I only just posted the guide last night, so don't feel too bad :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags