Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week
    #15534712 - 12/18/11 12:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week
December 18, 2011 - mediaite.com

ABC’s This Week began the first in a series of big debates that will continue throughout the next year. Today’s topic was whether government is too big or not, with two advocates on each side arguing for each position, and naturally the conversation made its way to drug legalization. In quite a surreal moment, Barney Frank asked George Will his position on marijuana and if it should be legalized.

Will admitted that he was a supporter of the internet gambling legalization bill Frank has fought for in Congress, but admitted that regarding marijuana, he would need to learn more about its effects on the human body and how government would regulate it. Frank responded to the notion of marijuana being a gateway drug by saying “anything is a gateway to anything.” Will argued his position was a “quest for information,” and Frank asked how long it would take because marijuana has been around for a long time already.

Christiane Amanpour awkwardly tried to change the conversation to social mobility, which Paul Ryan was somewhat relieved about. Frank injected to say that if Ryan and Will were arguing that big government is wrong, they should be intellectually consistent by not taking the position that government should prohibit people from doing what they wish to their bodies or telling people who they can marry or not.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethedream
The Most High

Re: Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week [Re: veggie]
    #15534773 - 12/18/11 12:33 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

He certaintly shut them up! Frank just got a few more points in my book for that one. He is absolutely right on the money and it just goes to tshow that people are getting fed up with all the same old rhetoric against marijuana.

InvisibleBirdsIView
Mr. Helms
 User Gallery
Re: Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week [Re: thedream]
    #15534793 - 12/18/11 12:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Just a shame how the topic gets laughed at and brushed aside as if it is of no importance.

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week [Re: BirdsIView] * 1
    #15534801 - 12/18/11 12:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Its a shame that barney frank is leaving the house :sad: he is a great guy

(and its hilarious that he has been around for so long as a gay politician with a funny sounding lisp :grin:)

:peace::gd_icon:

--------------------
Nothing I say or do is factual; every single thing I write is a work of fiction. Got no idea what I'm talking about here~

"Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"~  (Grateful Dead)

"o puer, qui omnia nomini debes"; "You, boy, who owe's everything to a name"~ Mark Anthony

"Nihil est incertius vulgo, nihil obscurius voluntate hominum, nihil fallacius ratione tota comitiorum."; "Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system."~ Cicero

OfflineLighterOfDoobies
Stranger

Re: Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week [Re: LongStrangeTrip]
    #15535040 - 12/18/11 01:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I like Barney Frank.  Like Ron Paul, he is one of the few outspoken civil libertarians in Congress who does not seem to be corrupted by money, corporate influence, etc., even though he is to some degree a partisan liberal.

He is also one of the few Congressmen who voted Nay to the Military Defense Bill.  All those that voted Nay should be applauded, and all those that voted Aye should be impeached from office and tried for treason.

Offlinedoeboy99
Stranger
Re: Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week [Re: LighterOfDoobies]
    #15535400 - 12/18/11 03:20 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The only reason why Barney Frank can be this outspoken at this point in time is that he isn't going to run for re-election because they changed the area his seat covers.  He doesn't think he can win so he is leaving.  This is the same guy that a month or two before the housing crash was saying fannie/freddie were great investments.  What a complete idiot.  The guy is right about civil liberties and what conservatives have become.  When this country's treasury bonds rise in interest rates from market forces then I think things will be forced to change, but I wouldn't expect any major changes until this country suffers from the same problems europe is having with selling its debt.  The question is do we cut government down dramatically or print money and force a worse evil on the people a la asset price inflation(commodities)  any talk about anything changing before then is totally ridiculous.  Maybe the guys that think it will or that a state can legalize without the feds stomping all over their ass in the form of removing federal monies need to go buy some good shit cause they are gonna need to smoke something to get the pain of the real reality out of their head.

InvisibleBeefy1
GONE

Loc: around
Re: Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week [Re: LighterOfDoobies]
    #15535532 - 12/18/11 03:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

LighterOfDoobies said:
I like Barney Frank.  Like Ron Paul, he is one of the few outspoken civil libertarians in Congress who does not seem to be corrupted by money, corporate influence, etc., even though he is to some degree a partisan liberal.

He is also one of the few Congressmen who voted Nay to the Military Defense Bill.  All those that voted Nay should be applauded, and all those that voted Aye should be impeached from office and tried for treason.

Not so fast there.

It's nice he's supposedly a champion of civil liberties but when it comes down to it he's just another degenerate politician.

The name Steve Gobie ring a bell?

How about his pal Maxine?

Wasn't he in charge of the House Financial Services committee when all that sub-prime shit hit the fan?

You're blinded by his flaming homosexuality.

OfflineLighterOfDoobies
Stranger

Re: Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week [Re: Beefy1]
    #15535934 - 12/18/11 04:58 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Beefy1 said:
Quote:

LighterOfDoobies said:

Not so fast there.

It's nice he's supposedly a champion of civil liberties but when it comes down to it he's just another degenerate politician.

The name Steve Gobie ring a bell?

How about his pal Maxine?

Wasn't he in charge of the House Financial Services committee when all that sub-prime shit hit the fan?

You're blinded by his flaming homosexuality.

Lol no, I was simply unaware of those scandals.  I based my appreciation for him on his opposition to the War on Drugs despite the unpopularity of this idea, his support of auditing the Federal Reserve, opposition to the military defense bill, etc.  Had nothing to do with his homosexuality.

Offlinepoiuytrewa
Full-Retard
Male

Loc: Behind you!
Re: Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week [Re: Beefy1]
    #15536114 - 12/18/11 05:26 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i like when he makes them look bad on personal liberties they quickly try to change the subject

--------------------
Anything I post is a lie, including that...and that.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week [Re: veggie]
    #15536197 - 12/18/11 05:40 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I despise Barney Frank and what he and his ilk have done to this country, but on this issue... he is spot on.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #15539473 - 12/19/11 11:34 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
I despise Barney Frank and what he and his ilk have done to this country,

:lolz0rz: :lolsy:  :tyrone:

--------------------
Nothing I say or do is factual; every single thing I write is a work of fiction. Got no idea what I'm talking about here~

"Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"~  (Grateful Dead)

"o puer, qui omnia nomini debes"; "You, boy, who owe's everything to a name"~ Mark Anthony

"Nihil est incertius vulgo, nihil obscurius voluntate hominum, nihil fallacius ratione tota comitiorum."; "Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system."~ Cicero

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week [Re: LongStrangeTrip]
    #15539502 - 12/19/11 11:41 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

He, and other politicians who spend money like we had it, have driven us deep into debt.

What's so funny about that?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #15539958 - 12/19/11 01:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Well when you switch from blanket statement to one with an opinion backing it, you really cut out the comedic factor :wink:

I like your posts much more when you explain yourself!

--------------------

OfflineMushroomDogMan
Me
Male

#16682308 - 08/11/12 02:04 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Thought I would bump this thread since Mitt Romney just announced this morning that Paul Ryan will be his running as his VP candidate.  Check out Ryan's attitude toward marijuana in this video.  He laughs at the idea that marijuana legalization should even be a serious topic of discussion.  The news media is portraying Ryan as a libertarian.  He is not a libertarian at all.  He is a strict social conservative who wants to control the behavior of other adults.  Both Romney and Ryan laugh off any discussion of marijuana.  Obama is the same way these days.  Makes you feel like we have no voice in the political process.  I can't vote for any of these tools.  I'll probably end up casting my vote for a third party candidate with no chance of winning... but at least I'll have a clear conscience as I do it.

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week [Re: MushroomDogMan]
    #16682907 - 08/11/12 04:07 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MushroomDogMan said:
Thought I would bump this thread since Mitt Romney just announced this morning that Paul Ryan will be his running as his VP candidate.  Check out Ryan's attitude toward marijuana in this video.  He laughs at the idea that marijuana legalization should even be a serious topic of discussion.  The news media is portraying Ryan as a libertarian.  He is not a libertarian at all.  He is a strict social conservative who wants to control the behavior of other adults.  Both Romney and Ryan laugh off any discussion of marijuana.  Obama is the same way these days.  Makes you feel like we have no voice in the political process.  I can't vote for any of these tools.  I'll probably end up casting my vote for a third party candidate with no chance of winning... but at least I'll have a clear conscience as I do it.

You cannot base your vote on one issue, aka, a candidates stance on cannabis.

You have to add that to OTHER issues that are important to you...when mine add up, ESPECIALLY hearing about the Ryan pick for VP.... You can for sure call me an Obama man this year~

(Though the VP really does not "do" anything of significance :shrug:)

--------------------

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

#16682911 - 08/11/12 04:08 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

If all your thinking about is weed....well fuck I would call that in itself a mistake :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineMushroomDogMan
Me
Male

#16683376 - 08/11/12 05:54 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

LongStrangeTrip said:

You cannot base your vote on one issue, aka, a candidates stance on cannabis.

You have to add that to OTHER issues that are important to you...when mine add up, ESPECIALLY hearing about the Ryan pick for VP.... You can for sure call me an Obama man this year~

(Though the VP really does not "do" anything of significance :shrug:)

First of all, I'll base my vote on whatever the hell I want to.  Second of all, marijuana isn't the only thing my vote is based on.  My vote is based on the overall principles of freedom and liberty, to which Mitt Romney, Barack Obama, Paul Ryan, and Joe Biden have all shown no regard.

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week [Re: MushroomDogMan]
    #16683471 - 08/11/12 06:21 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

^^Yea you may be right (and I did not mean to sound like I was "telling" you how to vote :shrug::peace:).

But since your concerned with these principles.... can you even name a president we have EVER had that lives up to such a broad "principle"; freedom and liberty... I often sit and think, wtf does that actually mean? Freedom and liberty for whom? For what? How? And if you think deep enough, it goes to a set of core issues. They are different for different people I suppose. And it changes over time.

("freedom and liberty" was tossed around as we established ourselves as a country; a country who owned slaves, did not let women vote, while pursuing a "revolution" that was basically a bunch of rich old educated white men who were pissed off about paying taxes)

That phrase "freedom and liberty" (I am NOT attacking you right now, that phrase is used by politicians all the time, especially now, and ESPECIALLY if you listened to Ryan's speech this morning) is so ambiguous, as it is used... I am not even convinced it means anything. Its like its just some action phrase a politician uses to get people all riled up. And you can be of any political persuasion and get all up in arms over your "freedom and liberty".

I absolutely loathe Romney and Ryan, and I bet me and you have similar qualms with what our current presidential cabinet has done over the past few years... things we both disagree with, because I certainly do not think Obama has been some sort of "savior" for our country. Its pick and choose I suppose, who represents you "more".... assuming anyone represents us at all :eek:

/philosophical conundrum  :rofl:

--------------------

OfflineSCleROTiUM_LICK
ResearchedFiction Writer

#16683550 - 08/11/12 06:44 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Frank injected to say that if Ryan and Will were arguing that big government is wrong, they should be intellectually consistent by not taking the position that government should prohibit people from doing what they wish to their bodies or telling people who they can marry or not.

Amen on both the drug and the gay marriage issues.  They are BOTH issues of unnecessary governmental interference.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomDogMan
Me
Male

Re: Barney Frank Goes After George Will Over Marijuana Legalization On This Week [Re: SCleROTiUM_LICK]
    #16683751 - 08/11/12 07:26 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

@LST,

Fair enough.  Sorry if I snapped at you a bit there.  But here's my problem with both Obama and Romney in the grand scheme of things: both of these guys are for the status quo of increasing government power, involvement, and spending.  Bush exploited the 9/11 attacks to push through the Patriot Act and to get us involved in foreign conflicts.  Clinton was the last pres who had any concept of how to balance a budget and reign in spending.  Debt is a form of bondage that limits potential and sells our long term well being for short term gain.  Both parties want to spend more than we can afford and entangle us in wars that are bankrupting us and turning the rest of the world against us.  Both parties are willing to throw our civil liberties under the bus in order to keep pushing forward the current agenda.  Our country is in a very dire state of affairs for several reasons, and I view our least popular civil liberties (like being able to use drugs or enter into gay marriage, etc) as the canaries in the room that signal the overall health of our constitutional republic.  Things are very bad right now and in my opinion a vote for either Obama or Romney is just a vote to let things keep getting worse.  Ron Paul is a political juggernaut and Obamney and the others shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as the guy.  I'm probably going to end up writing him in or voting third party.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale