Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRiboflavin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwestish
Re: Home Brewers, your skills are urgently needed for the science of intoxication! [Re: trendal]
    #16584742 - 07/25/12 07:57 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Aren't salts occasionally used by brewers to make the hops in an IPA "pop" a little more? Maybe a GHB IPA?

--------------------
All that groks is God.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Home Brewers, your skills are urgently needed for the science of intoxication! [Re: Riboflavin]
    #16584888 - 07/25/12 08:47 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Calcium carbonate(chalk), calcium sulfate(gypsum), calcium chloride, magnesium sulfate(epsom salt), and sodium bicarbonate(baking soda) are occasionally used to adjust the pH and adjust the mineral content to achieve a more authentic desired beer stlye. These are all naturally occurring salts and can be found in certain water sources all over the world.

OfflineRiboflavin
Male User Gallery

Re: Home Brewers, your skills are urgently needed for the science of intoxication! [Re: daussaulit]
    #16585581 - 07/25/12 11:20 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I've often heard of adding gypsum to an ipa, haven't tried it though.

--------------------
All that groks is God.

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Loc: Babylon Flag
Re: Home Brewers, your skills are urgently needed for the science of intoxication! [Re: Riboflavin]
    #16589972 - 07/25/12 11:26 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Fellow homebrewers?? ^ ^ nice!...

InvisibleAgingHippy
Flwr Pwr
Male User Gallery

Loc: Necropolis Flag
Re: Home Brewers, your skills are urgently needed for the science of intoxication! [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #16590191 - 07/26/12 12:16 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

MMmMmm fresh pressed apple juice

3.5L Simply Apple Juice in a 1 gallon jug
1/5 package of champagne yeast as directed per gallon
3.7g MSG (crystalline monosodium glutamate)

theoretically it should produce just over 2g of NaGHB, which is just about right for this amount of liquid...for a light weight

I'll be able to tell if it gets me more drunk than usual though. 

*I'm experienced when it comes to drinking alcohol with GHB so I won't be dying or poisoning myself as I've seen mentioned

**also, you don't automatically get raped when you eat GHB, it actually feels quite nice, more euphoria than alcohol

Edited by AgingHippy (07/26/12 12:29 AM)

OfflineNalim
OTD Kelly Girl
Female User Gallery

Re: Home Brewers, your skills are urgently needed for the science of intoxication! [Re: Asante]
    #16592241 - 07/26/12 12:10 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I might try this out if I can sweet talk someone at the lab for some time with the tandem GC/MS and the compound library.

--------------------

Rodney Brooks on Robots
Nalim said: "Quoting yourself is retarded."

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Home Brewers, your skills are urgently needed for the science of intoxication! [Re: AgingHippy] * 2
    #16607921 - 07/28/12 08:04 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

teefizzle said:
**also, you don't automatically get raped when you eat GHB

then I will not be trying it

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Re: Home Brewers, your skills are urgently needed for the science of intoxication! [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #16608624 - 07/28/12 11:44 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Teafizzle...that's insane. Let us know in the future ! Damn

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: Home Brewers, your skills are urgently needed for the science of intoxication! [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #16609508 - 07/29/12 07:30 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Oeric McKenna said:
Teafizzle...that's insane. Let us know in the future ! Damn

In the double blind test (like from drinking wood alcohol) you need a second "control" batch.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

InvisibleAgingHippy
Flwr Pwr
Male User Gallery

Re: Home Brewers, your skills are urgently needed for the science of intoxication! [Re: LunarEclipse] * 1
    #16610757 - 07/29/12 12:57 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i dont, ive brewed numerous numerous times with this same method minus the msg

this is an experiment to further my knowledge, not yours anyway so butt out :lol:

anyway, i have a big question from you brewing pros:

my understanding is champagne yeast is a pretty hyperactive fermenter, producing a lot more co2 quicker, but would it really die after only 4 dayS?

its no longer bubbling, so whats the point of leting it sit, the yeast has collected on the bottom as usual, so should i just filter it off, bottle it, and test it out or wait another 1 and 1/2 weeks?

InvisibleAgingHippy
Flwr Pwr
Male User Gallery

Re: Home Brewers, your skills are urgently needed for the science of intoxication! [Re: AgingHippy]
    #16610943 - 07/29/12 01:41 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

another way ill be able to tell is i will refrain from marijuana for several days before the bioassay on myelf
my thinking is ghb adds euphoria and when i drink minus thc, i get cranky and depressed

if there is in fact ghb in the drink i will notice euphoria

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
Re: Home Brewers, your skills are urgently needed for the science of intoxication! [Re: AgingHippy] * 1
    #16611064 - 07/29/12 02:05 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

my understanding is champagne yeast is a pretty hyperactive fermenter, producing a lot more co2 quicker, but would it really die after only 4 dayS?

its no longer bubbling, so whats the point of leting it sit, the yeast has collected on the bottom as usual, so should i just filter it off, bottle it, and test it out or wait another 1 and 1/2 weeks?

Most of your yeast doesn't "die" after fermentation, it just goes dormant.

Letting it sit is important to developing the right flavour profile. Depending on what is in the wort/must, yeast usually produces some unpleasant flavour compounds. Some of these will later be broken down or absorbed by the yeast. If you remove the yeast too early you will have no way to get rid of these flavour compounds.

Usually the rule of thumb with cider and mead is to let it age until it goes almost completely clear. In my experience with cider this takes maybe 1-3 weeks.

--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

OfflineRiboflavin
Male User Gallery

Re: Home Brewers, your skills are urgently needed for the science of intoxication! [Re: Heffy]
    #16611705 - 07/29/12 04:36 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Heffy said:
Quote:

Letting it sit is important to developing the right flavour profile. Depending on what is in the wort/must, yeast usually produces some unpleasant flavour compounds. Some of these will later be broken down or absorbed by the yeast. If you remove the yeast too early you will have no way to get rid of these flavour compounds.

Usually the rule of thumb with cider and mead is to let it age until it goes almost completely clear. In my experience with cider this takes maybe 1-3 weeks.

Yup, exactly. I actually dumped beers when I started because I was kegging too early and didn't realize how much the flavor profile will change as the yeast does it's work. Now if I get a funny tasting beer after kegging, I just put it aside for a couple more weeks and often time the flavor will continue to develop in part because of residual yeast in the keg.

--------------------
All that groks is God.

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

#16612167 - 07/29/12 06:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Yea man. The yeast will stop its action when it has either drown in alcohol or in your case, exhausted all its fermentable sugars. Champagne yeast has a high alcohol tolerance. Prime the bottles w corn sugar if you want sparkling.
@ riboflavin: I always use the "bottle conditioning" priming method for my kegs. Love the smooth texture and frothy head! I wait bout a month before cracking it

OfflineRiboflavin
Male User Gallery

#16612367 - 07/29/12 06:37 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I usually leave mine at 30 psi for a couple days and call it good, unless I'm really hard up, in which case I draw off and fill a 2 liter and chill in freezer, afterwards I attach this device.

The carbonater, it fits on top of any 2 liter soda bottle and I shake and bake at 30 psi for a couple of minutes, not as good as letting it sit though. You can force carbonate, but you can't force age.

--------------------
All that groks is God.

InvisibleAgingHippy
Flwr Pwr
Male User Gallery

Re: Home Brewers, your skills are urgently needed for the science of intoxication! [Re: Heffy]
    #16612488 - 07/29/12 06:57 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Heffy said:
Quote:

i can see your point, but it didnt start clear since it is real cider, not the see through motts stuff
any amendment?

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: Home Brewers, your skills are urgently needed for the science of intoxication! [Re: AgingHippy]
    #16615210 - 07/30/12 06:57 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

teefizzle said:
another way ill be able to tell is i will refrain from marijuana for several days before the bioassay on myelf
my thinking is ghb adds euphoria and when i drink minus thc, i get cranky and depressed

if there is in fact ghb in the drink i will notice euphoria

have some take out chinese food when you do the test that should intensify the MSG/GHB effect.

excitotoxins.  lovely.

--------------------

InvisibleAgingHippy
Flwr Pwr
Male User Gallery

#16616366 - 07/30/12 12:43 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Riboflavin said:
I usually leave mine at 30 psi for a couple days and call it good, unless I'm really hard up, in which case I draw off and fill a 2 liter and chill in freezer, afterwards I attach this device.

The carbonater, it fits on top of any 2 liter soda bottle and I shake and bake at 30 psi for a couple of minutes, not as good as letting it sit though. You can force carbonate, but you can't force age.

im not too interested in having it bubble, i got the champagne yeast for its efficiency, and since it's not beer, but cider, how does the taste develop?

would you say that letting apple cider sit longer makes for a better taste?

thanks

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#16616406 - 07/30/12 12:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

teefizzle said:
Quote:

Riboflavin said:

im not too interested in having it bubble, i got the champagne yeast for its efficiency, and since it's not beer, but cider, how does the taste develop?

would you say that letting apple cider sit longer makes for a better taste?

thanks

in this case, no. :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleAgingHippy
Flwr Pwr
Male User Gallery

Re: Home Brewers, your skills are urgently needed for the science of intoxication! [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #16616534 - 07/30/12 01:36 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

before i filter my brew now, can you assure me more without laughing

i feel like you may be playing a joke on me ahha

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains