Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Terrence McKenna, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinetrulyknotmadly
impromteau therapist
Female User Gallery

Loc: texas Flag
experimenting with teks.
    #16380203 - 06/14/12 11:52 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

So, I got four new bags in the mail, and I think that once they colonize, I'm going to try the monotub tek (brf bags from a sponsor).  I -really- think that the shotgun terrarium I built has holes that are really too big, because it seems to dry out a lot.  The monotubs look like they have very big flushes, and I think that the lack of moisture is what is giving me these tiny little things.  In fact, after trying to rehydrate the cakes, I've gotten two small flushes from both of the bags that survived the initial hit-or-miss that I went through.  The quality of the mushrooms, however, seemed pretty good (although not so experienced with mushrooms, I really don't have anything to base it on).

One of my friends stumbled upon my experiment, and after watching me consume with no side effects, they thought they'd test my lil crop.  And so now, to further my hobby, they are going to back the funds for a pressure cooker (yay!  Hey man, don't judge - 100 bucks for even a cheap one is expensive when you're jobless).  Which means I'll start looking around locally for organic brf or rye berries (easy enough, we've got Whole Foods and other places like that in this large city).  And....well, as a side note, I -did- get some oyster mushrooms for mom and the kids, and they're doing exceedingly well.  I think for that particular venture, I'm gonna try shiitake too towards the fall.

When I get the monotub set, I'll take pictures.

Using Ecuador, I had a few that were hand length, but most of them stayed small if I picked them before the veils ripped.  I had to go on a trip that took two days, Mom misted for me, but by the time I got back, there was spore shit all over my perlite, so one little guy is struggling up from there.  I thought I'd leave him to see if he got big, then ask you guys the ill-effects of them growing on the perlite.

However, it's summer, and as a stay at home mom, I don't linger here too much because the kids are running free-range.  Sometimes I wish I lived more remote where I could house my science experiments in a garage instead of the bathroom -nobody- uses, but we can't have everything, can we?

Eventually, I would like to take spore prints, so pointing out a good tek for it would be cool of you guys.

Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated from more seasoned warriors.  Thanks.

--------------------
"You're only given a litttle spark of madness. You  mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams (1951 - )

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOH1Ogrown
Student
Male User Gallery

Loc: Treasure Coast
Re: experimenting with teks. [Re: trulyknotmadly]
    #16380216 - 06/14/12 11:57 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------

Offlinetrulyknotmadly
impromteau therapist
Female User Gallery

Re: experimenting with teks. [Re: OH1Ogrown]
    #16456048 - 06/29/12 03:16 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

So, some of you guys kinda gave me hell for the fact I wasn't doing this on my own and I was buying bags.  So I figured I'd start experimenting WITH the bags, had some extra money, and started setting in supplies:syringe:.  I bought a 22 quart Presto pressure cooker off of Ebay for about sixty bucks before shipping (Figured it was like, a steal - only thing wrong with it is that it's got scratches from wear on it :dancer: ).  A handle was cracked, so the seller refunded me the cost of replacing the handles.:thumbup:

I've ordered a bag sealer, bags with filters, spores (Yeah, I'm a noob:awesomenod:) got verm and gonna get some organic BRF from Whole Foods or something.  I got a container, but I'm thinking it's really much too big for the monotub, so I'm gonna go get some smaller ones.

--------------------
"You're only given a litttle spark of madness. You  mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams (1951 - )

OfflineOH1Ogrown
Student
Male User Gallery

#16456279 - 06/29/12 04:04 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

I had the same experience with my Ecuador multispore on manure bulk and on coir bulk. Mostly smallish fruits, but a few hand length.
I just now reread this thread and realized you're a woman. Rock on. lol

--------------------

OfflineYouKnowEdDavis
Lurker Aficionado
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: i ain't tellin you NUFFIN...
    #16456833 - 06/29/12 06:28 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

good maneuver getting that PC; you'll love yourself forever for it.

not to thread jack, but small fruits are sometimes just genetics, but other times (i figure most of the time) it is from inadequate moist content in the substrate.

i've found in my own works that dunking for a little longer than necessary works in my favor, but i also exchange a lot of air, so they dry out a little bit faster than normal. works out though, with killer pinsets.

anyhu, scope out this thread; its got lots of good shit, and even if you can't relate to some of it, you'll still learn what to look out for.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14508610

OH!! and please do not buy BRF (unless its super cheap), just buy Brown rice, then put that shit in the blender for a while. :awesomenod:

and spore printing. you dont have to get this crazy, but it gives a very good intro into the concepts behind it. once you got it down, you can do it however you want; we all make our own systems.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6439449#

--------------------

Offlinetrulyknotmadly
impromteau therapist
Female User Gallery

Re: experimenting with teks. [Re: YouKnowEdDavis]
    #16457288 - 06/29/12 08:01 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, the pressure cooker does great on chicken breasts.  Man, the first thing I did to check whether or not it would pressurize was make chicken-n-dumplin's.  Mmmmm.

I guess to save some dough, I could try the bird seeds first, but really, I'm no lab rat - some of these guys are amazing in their setups, but really, people would start to question exactly what momma was doing.

I had three bags that actually made it to fruition.  On a second and third flush, I got about 30 grams, which had me hopping in delight.  I wanted to see if the monotub would give a higher yield, because like YKED said, there was low moisture content.

My mother's like in her early 70s, and she thinks it's funny as hell that I'm trying to do this.  She checks on them daily about as much as I do.  But really, she's happy that I'm experimenting because I also try to bring in edibles in the house that everyone can enjoy.  (Pointers there would be good.)

I also wanted to know if/why the black trash bag that lines most of the bottom of the tubs are nessecary.  Can I just use black duct tape to black out the bottom instead or is there more purpose behind it?  I will probably use the coir mixture, because I don't see my self eating something that grows outta manure.

--------------------

OfflineProject
Ride the Spiral

#16457316 - 06/29/12 08:09 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

If you're interested in bulk, I've got pretty much every tek you would need right in my signature, so you don't have to search around for info.

If you can't find or don't want to use horse manure, just pick a different bulk substrate recipe, prepare it accordingly, then you can just swap that out for manure and still go by the tek.

If you want to do bigger monotubs, just make them larger.  Monotubs work under similar principles regardless of size.  Smaller ones are easier to maintain and work with but larger ones tend to yield a lot more (though they require more spawn/bulk).

Read the teks, put it all together, and you'll be on your way to good harvests.  I even have G2G and grain LC teks if you want to have second and third grows using spawn from your first round!  :smile:

OfflineTheApprentice
retired.
Male User Gallery

Re: experimenting with teks. [Re: Project]
    #16457380 - 06/29/12 08:20 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Project said:
If you're interested in bulk, I've got pretty much every tek you would need right in my signature, so you don't have to search around for info.

If you can't find or don't want to use horse manure, just pick a different bulk substrate recipe, prepare it accordingly, then you can just swap that out for manure and still go by the tek.

If you want to do bigger monotubs, just make them larger.  Monotubs work under similar principles regardless of size.  Smaller ones are easier to maintain and work with but larger ones tend to yield a lot more (though they require more spawn/bulk).

Read the teks, put it all together, and you'll be on your way to good harvests.  I even have G2G and grain LC teks if you want to have second and third grows using spawn from your first round!  :smile:

:bender:

--------------------

RR Videos -Best $9 Ever Spent *
No Pour AGAR Tek Easy COIR Trays! *
Pink Oysters on Newspaper TEK

"Yeah?  Well, DRACULA called... and he said he's coming over tonight, and I said OK!" :mastershake:

Offlinetrulyknotmadly
impromteau therapist
Female User Gallery

Re: experimenting with teks. [Re: TheApprentice]
    #16459541 - 06/30/12 08:55 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you, Project!

Tonight though, I'm killing off the first round with two of my buds.

I gotta ask, being a noob....I read a lot of different things, and I am just to the point of enjoying these sacred fruits....How much do people average in a go?  1-3 seems cool.  I think I read that Terrence McKenna said 1-12 was like, a superhero dose. 

How much/how often do you guys eat them?  Are cubes really all the same, or do you have a other variables?  I suppose I'm looking for amount taken/easy to grow/potency as the three factors I'm really interested in.  I know that it's kind of off topic in a sense, and there are MILLIONS of posts here on the shroomery, so I guess I'm asking about more personalized experience in reference to how people started out growing.  Some people have the kind of money to sink into a project, others don't (my kids will ALWAYS come first - this is a hobby, not a habit).  But everyone was a noob at one point.  It would be kind of cool to hear how people started off.

And, of course, as the other processes develop, I'll show pics.

:grin::mushroom2:

Oh, and now I'm editing this post, because I don't know whether or not editing will bump it, and I don't want to get aced for bumping.

I'm reading through the teks, and going from jar to jar with needle is kind of cool.  If you do that, how long can you store the needle with mycelium?  How long will it live?  I am thinking since I bought bags (10.00) and a bag sealer (2.15 or so and free shipping off Ebay), this is just as easily used for that.

The jars in the threads have gaskets, which are cool.  There's a clear one and a red one.  The red one is for the needle, but where would you get the clear, filter one? Ive seen some 'filtered' on ebay, but I really don't need 100 for 50 bucks.  If I wind up making half a dozen jars running at one time, I'm good.  Mainly, it's just me and a very, very few select buddies - so I'm not making magical pizza for the masses, so to speak.

--------------------

Edited by trulyknotmadly (06/30/12 09:09 AM)

Offlinetrulyknotmadly
impromteau therapist
Female User Gallery

#16459617 - 06/30/12 09:36 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

OH1Ogrown said:
I had the same experience with my Ecuador multispore on manure bulk and on coir bulk. Mostly smallish fruits, but a few hand length.

Yeah, I noticed that too.  I got a few real big ones, then I'd get these tiny little stragglers.  I broke up one cake to total pieces and just gave it a light layer of verm to cover it...then I had tons of tiny little tape-worm looking guys.  It was kind of weird.  I think the holes in the shotgun terrarium are too big, and the moisture evaporates so quickly (it's hitting 105 outside, so yeah, it's a challenge keeping the house cool), so frankly, I just started dumping the squirt bottle into the the verm-covered trays.  I got it to give me a few more puny flushes, but with two small brownie trays where they're snuggled in vermiculite, I don't think it's too bad.

Quote:

OH1Ogrown said:I just now reread this thread and realized you're a woman. Rock on. lol

This made me kind of laugh.  I don't know if it's just a guy's preference or chicks don't talk about it or what.  I did kinda get the sausage fest vibe, but I haven't had any creepers contact me, which is good. :awesomenod:

I'm happily married to a straight-laced guy that looks at me strangely sometimes. :facepalm3:  And someday, he's gonna get a big ole fat shroomy pizza if he's not careful. :evil:

--------------------

OfflineOH1Ogrown
Student
Male User Gallery

#16462852 - 07/01/12 12:56 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

lmao yeah, I don't know how my girlfriend supports my hobby. She's my biggest motivator though.

--------------------

OfflinexDUBSx
Stranger
 User Gallery

#16463611 - 07/01/12 06:27 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Me and my wife share in the hobby.

One of few things we have in common :laugh:

Offlinetrulyknotmadly
impromteau therapist
Female User Gallery

Re: experimenting with teks. [Re: xDUBSx]
    #16469960 - 07/02/12 02:03 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

All the monotub teks have the bottom lined in black plastic bags.  Is this really nessecary?  Why do they do it?

--------------------

OfflineBjJiggles
Gym seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #16469969 - 07/02/12 02:07 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

To keep light off of tHe bottom and sides and the bag will kinda stick to the substrate when it pulls away from the tub, so there's not that little humid Gap between the sub and tub to form a perfect littl micro-climate to form pins... No light/no air exchange = little to no side pins..

--------------------

Alan Rockefeller said:No!  Do not feed the type collection of a new species to animals!

Offlinetrulyknotmadly
impromteau therapist
Female User Gallery

Re: experimenting with teks. [Re: BjJiggles]
    #16470076 - 07/02/12 02:42 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Holy fuck, batman.

NOTHING but NOTHING makes a mess like dropping a 22 quart pressure cooker filled with coir, coffee grounds from Starbucks, and BRF.  NOTHING.:facepalm3:

But the kitchen smells like coffee!:dancer:

--------------------

OfflineOH1Ogrown
Student
Male User Gallery

#16470318 - 07/02/12 03:39 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

trulyknotmadly said:
All the monotub teks have the bottom lined in black plastic bags.  Is this really nessecary?  Why do they do it?

If you look at the growlog in my signature, there are two tubs pictured. The first, with all the mushrooms on the sides is without the bag. The second, with pins all over the top had the liner, and zero side pins.

--------------------

Offlinetrulyknotmadly
impromteau therapist
Female User Gallery

#16470376 - 07/02/12 03:49 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

I bought black duct tape to black out the bottom and sides of the tub.  I don't see the pics you're referring to, bro.  The duct tape won't black it out?  I mean, they're TRASH BAGS, so I have them.  I'm just curious if I -need- them.  If it deals with a moisture problem or actually aids the flush, no worries.  If I can use the duct tape without any problems well, that too.

:confused:

--------------------

OfflineOH1Ogrown
Student
Male User Gallery

#16470719 - 07/02/12 04:56 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

I duct taped the sides and bottom of the tub without the liner, it still side pinned. It yielded the same amount as a tub half the size because it pulled away from the sides and all the pins started in the resulting microclimate.
The liner will stick to the sides of the substrate as it shrinks from being digested, preventing the annoying side pins.
Just a suggestion. Some people have success without liners.

--------------------

Offlinetrulyknotmadly
impromteau therapist
Female User Gallery

#16470945 - 07/02/12 05:44 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Dude, I think I totally aced my pressure cooker.  I'm sweatin' it.  It didn't seem to want to heat up, I poked at the little black stopper thing on the top and got a fountain of brown shit out all over the place.

Mess #2 for the day.

Fuck me runnin'.

So I'm letting it cool down, gonna pry the lid off and see what damage I did.  I will be PISSED if I can't get it to pressurize properly.

:facepalm:

--------------------

OfflineBjJiggles
Gym seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #16471330 - 07/02/12 07:07 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Hopefully u won't die from a damaged PC, just sayin... If we don't here back from u we'll know what happened...

--------------------

Alan Rockefeller said:No!  Do not feed the type collection of a new species to animals!

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Terrence McKenna, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation