Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemycoscopy
Mushkateer
 User Gallery

Loc: TX
COOLEST thing I've ever found...seriously!!
    #16382240 - 06/14/12 05:55 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Habitat:
Where does it grow? Eg. woods, pasture, state, province, country, altitude, etc. What does it grow on? Eg. soil, dung, wood (dead, living, what kind of wood?), etc.
Semi-wooded lot in pine & oak debris, SE GA

Gills:
Color, attached/not, gills/pores, etc.
spines/teeth, they were minute, can't estimate length but they were seriously tiny- warm light brown in color

Stem:
Length, diameter, color, texture, hollow/solid, thin/thick, etc.
hard to decipher, it grew from a BRIGHT TANGERINE ORANGE base that was the same reishi-like texture as the cap

Cap:
Diameter, color, texture, conical/spherical, convex/concave, etc.
It was approximately 3 in across, maybe a tad bit bigger, oblong shaped, lobed. The texture was smooth and kind of rubbery, and slightly pitted. AND BRIGHT,LIGHT, LAVENDER-BLUE PURPLE!!

Spore print color:
Very important! I didn't take one, i put it back where I found it- I was being eaten alive by chiggers!

Bruising:
Color that the mushroom bruises, if any. Damaged areas of the tooth surface seemed to bruise a darker shade of their own color.

Other information:
Scent of the mushroom, anything else you think is important, large close-up pictures showing stem, cap and gills.
Smelled pleasantly earthy/mushroomy. Like reishi but... fruitier?

I can't find this in my field guide, Mushrooms of the Southeastern United States. Shape is similar to what is described for Mycorrhaphium adustum (kidney-shaped), but the colors/textures are all wrong. My crappy phone camera pics don't show the cap to it's greatest advantage, it was definitely PURPLE. In fact when I spotted the cap, before I bent down, I thought I was about to finally find a Lactarius indigo (which i WILL be finding this year, dammit!). I'm on a roll with purple mushies, hopefully that L. indigo isn't far behind! :smile:
If anyone can fix these pictures please do, and i am going to be getting an SD card for my new camera this weekend and putting a stop to these smeary pics!

--------------------
Mushroom nerd, future farmer, lab rat.
Anything I say about psilocybes is purely hypothetical.

Edited by mycoscopy (06/14/12 08:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblevjp
Canowicakte
 User Gallery

Loc: Ste-ye-hah' mah
Trusted Identifier
Re: COOLEST thing I've ever found...seriously!! [Re: mycoscopy]
    #16382382 - 06/14/12 06:38 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hydnellum species

Offlinemycoscopy
Mushkateer
 User Gallery

Loc: TX
Re: COOLEST thing I've ever found...seriously!! [Re: vjp]
    #16382528 - 06/14/12 07:19 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hydnellum caeruleum?
Blue and orange hydnellum, should be a really unusual find for my area.
I guess my lackluster pics really undermine the beauty of this amazing mushroom. :sad:

--------------------
Mushroom nerd, future farmer, lab rat.
Anything I say about psilocybes is purely hypothetical.

Edited by mycoscopy (06/14/12 08:29 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom