Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
Loc: Europe
Salvia leaves curling up???
    #1637471 - 06/16/03 01:24 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hi all... my salvia plants have started to have curled up leaves... espacially the new growth... they were next to some fluos, so I at first thought it was a low humidity problem, but after a few week of more spraying, nothing changed... I transferd a plant back to my room, next to a window (no direct sunlight), and nothing noticed..... what could be their problem??

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Salvia leaves curling up??? [Re: psylo33o]
    #1637576 - 06/16/03 02:04 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I think it's still to dry. I had/have the same problem. a few weeks spraying may not show any noticeble improvement yet. They need an overall high humidity :smirk:

Offlinesomebodyelse
In_Is_Out

Re: Salvia leaves curling up??? [Re: stefan]
    #1637663 - 06/16/03 02:44 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Some curling is OK. They're pretty resilient. (But check underneath before you sigh with relief - there just might be bugs.)

Wilting means not enough water (the stems sag, the leaves look lifeless).

If they start to yellow, they have too much sunlight.

If they get brown crispy bits on the end, there's not enough humidity (but generally the next generation of leaves will be OK). And I repeat that mine do fine with as little as 20% humidity.

Post a photo if this doesn't reassure you.

Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
Loc: Europe
Re: Salvia leaves curling up??? [Re: somebodyelse]
    #1638934 - 06/17/03 03:40 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I(d love too post a pic, unfortuanly I don't have a digicam... I see what you mean with curled up leaves with your pics in your post up there, but the curling on my leaves is much more pronouced... it's litteraly doing spirals... anyway, I moved a plant in my room were it gets more humidity, and I starting to aclimate one to the outside to see what she thinks of it... thanks for the help..

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

OfflineHaso
Stranger
 User Gallery
Same problem with pictures [Re: psylo33o]
    #10878366 - 08/17/09 08:33 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I hope watering it less will fix it, these look to me like their in bad shape. The new leaves on top look good as you can see from the pictures, but the ones sprouting at the bottom have brown tips already. Do you guys think I should spray them less or just cut watering?

I spray them 3-5 times a day and keep the temp at 68-75 degrees. Also, it looks like something has been eating the two top leaves on both plants, is that just the leaf dying or should I be worried about pests too?

Respectfully,
Haso

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
Re: Same problem with pictures [Re: Haso]
    #10878513 - 08/17/09 08:54 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

They don't look too happy, but their not going to die either.
Divinorum has a tendency to look like when its conditions are even slightly altered, but will eventually spring back. They sometimes take a while to become fully acclimated, but be patient and they will look better with time.
Your spraying routine sounds fine, you don't have to change anything there.Is that spot where they are in the photo their usual position, or is that for photo purposes only? You may want to consider more lighting; Despite what you may hear, Divinorum will thrive in good lighting, no direct sun of course.
Also, what is your watering schedule? Indoors, you should always use a well draining soil and allow it to dry in between waterings. Also, chlorinated water can be devastating on Salvias. Try distilled, or fill a bucket with water and let it sit in the sun for a few hours; chlorine is very volatile and will evaporate in no time.

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Invisiblejds

Re: Same problem with pictures [Re: satyr]
    #10878854 - 08/17/09 09:39 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

The stem is really thin on the left one. You should put a fan near them and give it strong wind, they will get fat stems

--------------------
“No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.”

― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
    #10880442 - 08/18/09 02:02 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

what satyr said :yesnod:

i would say that misting is the cause of the browning and curling of the older leaves.
if you insist on misting then use distilled water.

oh, and please start a new thread if you have a question rather than bumping a 6 year old thread... thanks :smirk:

--------------------
View My Gallery

OfflineHaso
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Same problem with pictures [Re: satyr]
    #10881073 - 08/18/09 06:30 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

That spot is for photo purposes, I use rainwater to spray them, does a strong fan really make the stems fatter? I had them on a wick watering system, I stopped that since they soil wasn't drying out, I'm going to water it once a week. soil is 2/3 miracle grow general purpose soil, and 1/3 perlite with rocks at the bottom of the pot of air.

Thanks alot everyone, Sorry about the bump didn't realise it was a million years old lol

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
    #10881192 - 08/18/09 07:28 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Rainwater is good, so long as you don't live in Los Angeles.

And yeah, ditch the wicking system, its good when you can't be around to do the watering, but indoors, over time it can cause harm. Don't attempt to remove the wick, Salvias' roots are easily damaged. Just cut the wick of where it comes from the pot and then water as usual.
Your soil sounds good, Divinorum does well in anything so long as it doesnt hold water.
And as for the fan, yes, they are good for your plants. At the moment, I would use a very small fan, or situate one where it will blow just a gentle breeze over the plants; too much will just add to their stress.
This will of course improve circulation of air, help dry out the soil a bit faster, and will help the plants develop thicker, more sturdy stems, as helldragon said.

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies