Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDr. Fungus
another man
Male User Gallery

Loc: primate body, cranium cha...
Does Psilocybin affect our pheromonal signature? * 4
    #16311707 - 05/31/12 01:53 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Test into a natural insect repellent properties of the intoxicated body.

After almost two years of continuous and documented observations, here comes the time to share them with the bigger crowd.

I collected and carefully documented direct observational cases of 20 people who, while under the mushroom spell, reported that regardless of the fact they were fully exposed to environment rich with all sorts of parasitic insects (mosquitoes, flees, so on), on each and every occasion, they didn't receive a single bite.

I concur that I myself tried the idea five times, spending outdoor nights while manageably inebriated in shorts and short sleeve t-shirt,in the middle of May, next to sober people who were asked to be a true guinea pigs and refrain from using any repellents. The uninibriated party soon fled the scene due to inability to sustain the itching and growing concern for the number of critters descending to have free snack at the expense of my curiosity and their friendship :smile:

Each of these cases indicated that insects avoid consuming the blood of people who took moderate to high doses of the Psilocybin. I have not had a chance to check other tryptamines for the same properties.

Any one can pitch in to confirm or contradict are absolutely welcome!

I checked blogs and academic reports (Heffter, Erowid and MAPS, along with few other well-reputed sources to start with), but perhaps someone knows about a formal or underground research that revealed the same peculiar fact?

I think if there is a bigger pool of sample data available, this might pave way for a formal research into neuropharmacology of the psylocybin-inebriated body and how/if any lymphatic, endocrine or pheromone-secreting systems and their functions are affected by Psilocybin. After all, it as an aromatic compound.

--------------------
"Para mi solo recorrer los caminos que tienen corazon, cualquier camino que tenga corazon. Por ahi yo recorro, y la unica prueba que vale es atravesar todo su largo. Y por ahi yo recorro mirando, mirando, sin aliento."

(For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly.)

~ Don Juan
___________________________________________________________________________________________

"You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down."
~Ray Bradbury

Edited by Dr. Fungus (05/31/12 02:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineelkart
Mushroom Servant
Male

Re: Does Psilocybin affect our pheromonal signature? [Re: Dr. Fungus]
    #16311718 - 05/31/12 01:55 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

That's fascinating! Thanks for sharing. I don't have any input.

--------------------
Shroom Honey Preservation Tek

OfflineCannashroom
Smoke two Joints
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
    #16311719 - 05/31/12 01:55 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I definitely notice a difference in secretion when tripping.  I sweat and my BO is slightly off than normal (or maybe it just appears that way).  I seem to release more oil into my hair or something too, its really strange.

--------------------
"A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe'; a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest us.

Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty.

Nobody is able to achieve this completely but striving for such achievement is, in itself, a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

Albert Einstein

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #16311729 - 05/31/12 01:57 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

+1, good post dude. I believe it. My wiener dog loves to lick me all the time, but as soon as I eat some mushrooms he don't lick me anymore. Obviously the taste of my skin changes :smile:

OfflineOH1Ogrown
Student
Male User Gallery

Loc: Treasure Coast
Re: Does Psilocybin affect our pheromonal signature? [Re: SomeGuy]
    #16311745 - 05/31/12 02:02 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

There's a few post that delve into why the mushrooms produce psilocybin in the first place. Your study seems to suggest that it could possibly be to ward off critters.

Awesome job dude.

--------------------

OfflineCouperj
Male User Gallery

Loc: Umerika
Re: Does Psilocybin affect our pheromonal signature? [Re: Cannashroom]
    #16311752 - 05/31/12 02:03 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I have found that after ingesting about a foot of bridgesii in tea form, biting insects tend to steer clear of me. I watched them swarm my friend and I for hours, yet -hey left us alone. Not so much success with shrooms though.

--------------------
(¯`'·.¸(♥)¸.·'´¯) But suddenly you're ripped into being alive. And life is pain, and life is suffering, and life is horror, but my god you are alive and it is spectacular!

OfflineDr. Fungus
another man
Male User Gallery

Re: Does Psilocybin affect our pheromonal signature? [Re: Couperj]
    #16311787 - 05/31/12 02:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Oh, I just finished tuning my post but then found all these wonderful return posts, thanks guys!

Yes, William S. Burroughs WAS ONTO SOMETHING - if you recall in the Naked Lunch, if you shoot the pesticide and exhale onto a cockroach, it will fall off dead (LOL)

But who else if not the kitchen mycologists like all of us who can help established scientific academia with the rekindled psychedelic research by providing (perhaps not truly scientific) but honest anecdotal data that can help to back up the direction of the overall research?

:wink:

--------------------
"Para mi solo recorrer los caminos que tienen corazon, cualquier camino que tenga corazon. Por ahi yo recorro, y la unica prueba que vale es atravesar todo su largo. Y por ahi yo recorro mirando, mirando, sin aliento."

(For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly.)

~ Don Juan
___________________________________________________________________________________________

"You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down."
~Ray Bradbury

Edited by Dr. Fungus (05/31/12 02:12 PM)

InvisiblezZZz
jesus
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#16311788 - 05/31/12 02:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

as interesting as this is, it doesn't surprise one bit.

--------------------
https://discord.gg/NHHd5y2Uyv

Offlinecarnage11
Mushroom Magician
Male User Gallery

Loc: 407 Flag
    #16311808 - 05/31/12 02:16 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I have totally wondered this myself. This is amazing because I had a conversation with my wife several months ago, where I was pondering if we secrete the mushrooms through our sweat glands and if it acts as a natural mosquito repellent.  I have noticed that when I trip I can walk out into my back yard and not get bit or bothered at all from the mosquitoes, but when I am not tripping, if I go out there I get eaten alive.

I have also noticed that my BO smells a bit different when I'm tripping, but I always thought that maybe my sense of smell was heightened in some way.

It's very interesting to know that there are other people out there that have had the same experience as me.  I wonder if one day we will use psilocybin as a natural insect repellant.  Thanks for the post man. :thumbup:

--------------------
You're breathing so I guess you're still alive
Even if signs seem to tell me otherwise.

Offlinehalo
Tripper
Male

Re: Does Psilocybin affect our pheromonal signature? [Re: zZZz]
    #16311959 - 05/31/12 02:49 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quite interesting.

This reminds me of Terence Mckenna's Stoned Ape theory.

I forget which post on here but his idea that the psilocybin increased visual acuity leading to an evolutionary advantage has been pretty much debunked. The scientist behind the study that Terence liked to quote said that Terence took his ideas out of proportion.

But, maybe the theory is still viable. Perhaps our ancient ancestors, upon eating the mushroom, experienced this effect. I hesitate to say, but I wonder if it has anything to do with warding off larger prey as well.

Either way this is very interesting.  :strokebeard:

--------------------
All drugs should be legal

InvisibleChubbyPitbull
Delta 9
Male User Gallery

Loc: Stargazing
Re: Does Psilocybin affect our pheromonal signature? [Re: halo]
    #16312287 - 05/31/12 04:07 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Very interesting :strokebeard:

I sit outside at night on mushrooms all the time and honestly now that I think about it, yeah I don't get tore up by them... I guess I never even put two and two together. But just the normal nights I would be fending them off and slapping my legs constantly..

I do notice that I definitely have an increased sense of smell, and all other senses.

Also normally I could not stand to have a wasp or hornet around me, but if I'm tripping I'm fine if they land on my face. Like I feel in this state they will not sting me. Nothing to do with secretions or OP's point though..

Halo we should test out your theory of predators too.. Lets go into grizzly country or a lion's den tripping and see how it goes.. Haha:awelol:

--------------------

Disciple of Design and Love of Knowledge

Offlinecarnage11
Mushroom Magician
Male User Gallery

Loc: 407 Flag
Re: Does Psilocybin affect our pheromonal signature? [Re: ChubbyPitbull]
    #16312363 - 05/31/12 04:25 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ChubbyPitbull said:

Also normally I could not stand to have a wasp or hornet around me, but if I'm tripping I'm fine if they land on my face. Like I feel in this state they will not sting me. Nothing to do with secretions or OP's point though..

It might still have something to do with pheromones. Maybe you are more open to the world around you, and less frightened, then in turn sending off a non-threatening scent that they pick up on and are less likely to be threatening themselves.

I wish there was more serious studies being done on psychedelics in general.  It's a shame it's all so hindered by bogus drug laws.

--------------------
You're breathing so I guess you're still alive
Even if signs seem to tell me otherwise.

InvisibleChubbyPitbull
Delta 9
Male User Gallery

Loc: Stargazing
Re: Does Psilocybin affect our pheromonal signature? [Re: carnage11]
    #16312482 - 05/31/12 04:49 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe you are more open to the world around you, and less frightened, then in turn sending off a non-threatening scent that they pick up on and are less likely to be threatening themselves.

Yes, I do intuitively feel this way about it.. That's why even though it seemed I was joking with the theory of predators.. I honestly feel it does have some merit to an extent...

I mean you wouldn't want to approach a predator the wrong way being on psilocybin or not.. But I do truly feel that if you were in that state, that certain predators would sense your vibrations and leave you completely alone. Some people do approach lion's and others swim with great white sharks... Now these people have to be in a very controlled state of mind and projecting the right energy waves to do this..

I do kind of feel, for myself, that having mushrooms running through my system might just put me automatically in those states of mind..
Also it affect everyone differently, of course..

Not to get all cooky now either, but personally, I feel I have harnessed telepathy with plants & animals to a degree. Now telepathy's not what one would think; it's not words, it's not like a conversation you or I have; it breaks through all barriers of language. It's feelings and vibrations passed along, maybe a quick story exchanged. But it's not one to be re-told in our language or remembered. It's simply gone, input and output, then blown away with the breeze.

--------------------

Disciple of Design and Love of Knowledge

Offlineelkart
Mushroom Servant
Male

Re: Does Psilocybin affect our pheromonal signature? [Re: ChubbyPitbull]
    #16313093 - 05/31/12 07:01 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
Shroom Honey Preservation Tek

OfflineDr. Fungus
another man
Male User Gallery

Re: Does Psilocybin affect our pheromonal signature? [Re: halo]
    #16313140 - 05/31/12 07:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

You right, Terence's idea about symbiont seams quite applicable to me. That the fungus actually incorporates itself into omnivore's diet and along the side improves its' propagation while being transported, and in return provides tangible physical and intelligent services that go a long way. A true Zen :wink:

What amazes me in this situation though, that how consistent the effect is for everyone i subjected to this test. I am talking river and lake lands of Arkansas in the mid Summer, with night air teaming with insect life, from huge moths and plate-size butterflies to myriads of hungry singing bloodsuckers and not one bite! If we look at the molecular formula of psylocybin, the only idea that makes sense to me is that as it passes blood brain barrier and dumps phosphoric component while turning into psylocin, that chemical leftover affects body's lymphatic, endocrine or pheromone-secreting systems. Otherwise we have to look for a mechanism that so dramatically alters our chemistry so even parasites will shy away from, and that should be triggered by the base differences between serotonin and psilocin chemical architectures. How? That's somebody else's dissertation or even qualification for research grant, who knows...

Of course unless we are ready to say that pharmacological opening of certain portals of the mind make one untouchable to harm, but someone more brave than I will have to test it at the local Zoo lion's pavilion...

--------------------

~ Don Juan

~Ray Bradbury

Edited by Dr. Fungus (06/01/12 12:38 AM)

Offlinebishlap
Po Thead
Male

#16313185 - 05/31/12 07:19 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I never really thought about it but I suffer few if any mosquito bites while night tripping, but I always have a fire going.

but I can say with certainty that it doesn't repel ticks, I always get at least one of those nasty fucks crawling up my leg.

but any bug I find that doesn't consider me a meal ill try to catch and examine, then release.

--------------------
"If you're not worried that you took way
to much, you didn't take enough" -
Terrence McKenna

There is no soul, only the ego dies.
The body was never yours.

OfflineDr. Fungus
another man
Male User Gallery

Re: Does Psilocybin affect our pheromonal signature? [Re: bishlap]
    #16313311 - 05/31/12 07:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

but I can say with certainty that it doesn't repel ticks, I always get at least one of those nasty fucks crawling up my leg.

Re: But the question is - do you notice if the ticks ever bite you? I had them on too, but they never bite. They stay put though, probably attracted by warmth of the body, or perhaps they don't react so sensitively as, say, mosquitoes, but we observed ticks and flees too, and while some do stick around, at least no one I observed personally got bitten, and these things are usually easy to spot once they bury their heads into the top epithelium.

--------------------

~ Don Juan

~Ray Bradbury

Offlinebishlap
Po Thead
Male

#16313396 - 05/31/12 07:52 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Fungus said:
Quote:

Re: But the question is - do you notice if the ticks ever bite you? I had them one too, but they never bite. They stay put though, probably attracted by warmth of the body, or perhaps they don't react so sensitively as , say, mosquitoes, but we observed ticks and flees too, and while some do stick around, at least no one I observed personally got bitten, and these things are usually easy to spot once they bury their heads into the top epithelium.

I have never been bit, but I check often for ticks, I havr some what of an unnatural fear or disgust for ticks, I don't like touching them to remove them from my body.

I think I am going to take some mushrooms next time I go night fishing and try to pay attention to if I'm being bitten or not.

--------------------
"If you're not worried that you took way
to much, you didn't take enough" -
Terrence McKenna

There is no soul, only the ego dies.
The body was never yours.

OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
    #16313470 - 05/31/12 08:05 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Interesting.  I'll keep track of mosquito traffic when straight and shroomed.

SFAIK mosquitoes follow CO2 to warm blooded mammals.  Do people not get bitten (when they land); are they not attracted at all; or do are they actively repelled?

Quote:

the only idea that makes sense to me is that as it passes blood brain barrier and dumps phosphoric component while turning into psylocin,

Nah, doesn't work that way.  Only psilocin is active in the brain (well along with a couple trace alkaloids) and it's dephosphorylated in the liver before hitting the bloodstream.

But definitely agree in a change in body odors.  There's also a change in metabolism, which may account for it - different byproducts, one of which repels biting insects.

:peace:PS

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

OfflineCrypt Keeper
Stranger Danger
Male

Loc: The Crypt
    #16313624 - 05/31/12 08:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Never get bit by bugs while tripping on shrooms, even large animals tend to avoid me.
Except for my cat, he gets a contact trip or something and goes bonkers as fuck, clawed me one but he apologized.
My dog gets sketched out and runs away half scared-half playing. I smell like mushrooms an hour after consumption.
Sober strangers can pick up on the vibe and they get wierded out too, often keeping distance and a watchful eye.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck