Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Magic Thrills in Hayes Valley with Alan Rockefeller * 14
    #16213409 - 05/11/12 02:30 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

A couple days ago a reporter contacted me and wanted to ask some questions about the psilocybin mushroom lecture I am giving this weekend.  This article is the result of her interview.

http://localaddition.com/2012/05/10/magic-thrills-in-hayes-valley/

Intense colors in nature, patterns coming to life and music ringing like the clockwork of angels. Those effects are well known among psychedelic mushroom fans. But Alan Rockefeller, an amateur mycologist, is here to tell you something you maybe didn’t know, like where to spot these shrooms in San Francisco, how to recognize them and how to avoid a painful death.
A Psychedelic Mushroom Identification lecture will be held on May 12 at 3 p.m. at the LGBT Center Rainbow Room, at 1800 Market St. Rockefeller, showing off all the psilocybin mushrooms that he found in his travels in North America. There are eight species of these mushrooms, growing in the local parks. Magic mushrooms simply like the San Francisco soil, vegetation and climate. But not all mushrooms popping up are edible. Rockefeller will talk about the key features to different species, the habitats where to find them and safety issues.

“If you go out in the park and eat the first mushroom you find, then you will poison yourself. Never eat a mushroom without checking that it’s not poisonous. There are deadly lookalikes,” he said.

Picking psychedelic mushrooms is a crime. However, it has been used in studies at John Hopkins University for medicating patients with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. It has also been used for cancer patients facing “end of life anxiety”. The results show that the conditions improved. According to Rockefeller, psilocybin mushrooms can also cure cluster headaches.
“The law against psilocybin mushrooms does more harm than it does good,” he said.

Every year, one person in California dies from eating poisonous mushrooms. But psilocybin mushrooms have never killed anyone. Rockefeller said that it is difficult to determine the effects these mushrooms may have because the experience is very subjective.

“A hippie would say that it makes your life wonderful. A policeman would say that it would ruin your life. The truth is something in between,” he said.

If you find a mushroom and want to find out if it will bring you death or hallucinations, simply take a picture and upload it to mushroomobserver.org, and shortly someone will identify the species for you. Or you could just show up at Rockefeller’s lecture and learn some more about the fungus growing in your neighborhood.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

Loc: south
Re: Magic Thrills in Hayes Valley with Alan Rockefeller [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #16214105 - 05/11/12 08:07 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like a good lecture... I wish i was in cali..keeep up the good work..

southern

OfflineShpongle1
Male

Loc: Above The Clouds Flag
Re: Magic Thrills in Hayes Valley with Alan Rockefeller [Re: SOUTHERN]
    #16214350 - 05/11/12 09:51 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

There are more people imprisoned for the commission of drug offenses in the United States - close to 500,000 - than are incarcerated in England, France, Germany, and Japan for all crimes combined.  Examined in another way, the United States has 100,000 more people incarcerated for nonviolent drug offenses than all the countries of the European Union combined, despite the fact that the European Union has 100 million more citizens. :crankey: 

- "Drugs and Drug Policy: The Control of Consciousness Alteration, 2007.

Offlinechobumms
Pokemon Master
Male User Gallery

Re: Magic Thrills in Hayes Valley with Alan Rockefeller [Re: Shpongle1]
    #16214374 - 05/11/12 10:00 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

A badass article! That is a great website to have handy!

--------------------
[/url]
My "Faster Germination For Popcorn Substrate" TEK
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8428361#8428361

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #16214465 - 05/11/12 10:28 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Wow Allen... I didn't realize you did that type of thing.

Kudo's to you.

:raisemyglass:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

Re: Magic Thrills in Hayes Valley with Alan Rockefeller [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #16214534 - 05/11/12 10:47 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

:awethumb::discorex:

--------------------

OfflineRevolutionine
number9..number9..num
Male

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Magic Thrills in Hayes Valley with Alan Rockefeller [Re: Humility]
    #16214589 - 05/11/12 11:04 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

cool article! nice work alan spread the truth! :mushroom2:

--------------------
All I ever wanted was to be free,

and in the end that's how it turned out to be...

Invisibledressel11
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Milky Way
Re: Magic Thrills in Hayes Valley with Alan Rockefeller [Re: Revolutionine]
    #16214704 - 05/11/12 11:34 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Wow this is awesome! Please do keep up the good work.

I know it says it is illegal to pick but could they really prosecute you for having fresh picked ones in the park. I mean who is to say you didn't think they were edible.

This is quite funny I ran across this article I recently ran into an old buddy of mine who I hadn't seen since working with him in 06-07 and he had the coolest story about how he managed to hitch hike out to San Fran where he was homeless, but made money selling psychoactive mushrooms another homeless man showed him how to pick in the park. He said he used the money to get south to Mexico and worked in construction for a couple months to get back to the Midwest.  My buddy seamed a little burnt so I took it all with a grain of salt, but now I guess I was just being a jackass.

OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

Re: Magic Thrills in Hayes Valley with Alan Rockefeller [Re: dressel11]
    #16214752 - 05/11/12 11:45 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

"they" can and will arrest you for lots of things, regardless of whether or not you're doing something illegal or immoral.

"They" get paid to put your warm body in a cold cell.  Never forget that.

--------------------

OfflineMortabis
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Magic Thrills in Hayes Valley with Alan Rockefeller [Re: Humility]
    #16215611 - 05/11/12 03:02 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Awesome article. Alan Rockefeller is quite the mushroom celebrity!

OfflineDest
Roller-Derby Coach
 User Gallery

Re: Magic Thrills in Hayes Valley with Alan Rockefeller [Re: Mortabis]
    #16215946 - 05/11/12 04:18 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Rock on Alan :rockon:

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Magic Thrills in Hayes Valley with Alan Rockefeller [Re: dressel11]
    #16216166 - 05/11/12 05:23 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Wow Allen... I didn't realize you did that type of thing.

I do a lot of work teaching people about psilocybin mushrooms.

I also run the psychoactive mushrooms table at the MSSF fungus fair.

Quote:

dressel11 said:
I know it says it is illegal to pick but could they really prosecute you for having fresh picked ones in the park. I mean who is to say you didn't think they were edible.

If you have a big bag of psilocybin mushrooms, it might be hard to argue that you didn't know what they were.  It is always a good idea to pick every mushroom you see, so you can claim to be a mushroom enthusiast taking many species home to ID.  If you have many species and don't admit to knowing what the blue staining ones are, you will probably not be arrested or convicted. 

Psilocybin mushrooms are much more illegal fresh because they have ten times the weight.

Quote:

This is quite funny I ran across this article I recently ran into an old buddy of mine who I hadn't seen since working with him in 06-07 and he had the coolest story about how he managed to hitch hike out to San Fran where he was homeless, but made money selling psychoactive mushrooms another homeless man showed him how to pick in the park. He said he used the money to get south to Mexico and worked in construction for a couple months to get back to the Midwest.  My buddy seamed a little burnt so I took it all with a grain of salt, but now I guess I was just being a jackass.

That is definitely possible in SF around November - January.

OfflineSinceWhen
Stranger

Loc: TX Flag
    #16217306 - 05/11/12 10:03 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Wish I could make it to your lecture.. Too bad I'm in Texas...

I love "A hippie would say it is the most amazing thing in your life, a policeman would say it will ruin your life. The truth is, it's something in between."

LOVE THAT!

Keep up the good work Alan! I look forward to seeing you spread the love and joy of mushrooms and even botany in general!

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Magic Thrills in Hayes Valley with Alan Rockefeller [Re: SinceWhen]
    #16218189 - 05/12/12 02:55 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SinceWhen said:
LOVE THAT!

Thanks! 

The reporter was asking about the long term effects of psilocybin mushrooms and I tried to give a balanced answer while making fun of both hippies and police.

She did a pretty good job with the story and I am pleased with how it turned out.  Speaking with reporters can be hit or miss - sometimes they twist your words, other times they do a good job of conveying what you meant.  Before I agreed to the interview I googled some of her other work and it looked pretty good.

OfflineHardTrippin
The Ambivalent
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
    #16219224 - 05/12/12 10:47 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

A fantastic article, while psilocybin does not actually "cure" cluster headaches, anyone suffering from them who reads this article will be sure to research this a little more heavily. Fantastic work Alan.

Offlinepfshroomer
MASTER OF MY DOMAIN
Male User Gallery

Loc: seeking the truth Flag
Re: Magic Thrills in Hayes Valley with Alan Rockefeller [Re: HardTrippin]
    #16220422 - 05/12/12 04:13 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

So Alan Rockefeller is your real name after all :wink:
Very cool article man!!
5 shrooms for you If I havent already given you 5 lol..
Either way,great read!

--------------------
"Follow the medicine path with an open mind and a clear heart, and you will surely find inner peace and enlightenment."

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Magic Thrills in Hayes Valley with Alan Rockefeller [Re: HardTrippin]
    #16221819 - 05/12/12 09:27 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

HardTrippin said:
A fantastic article, while psilocybin does not actually "cure" cluster headaches, anyone suffering from them who reads this article will be sure to research this a little more heavily. Fantastic work Alan.

The reporter was swedish and didn't speak perfect english, I think a couple minor misquotes in the article are due to that. 

The talk went really well, about 170 people came.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
    #16221968 - 05/12/12 10:04 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Keep up the good work Mr. Rockefeller. :thumbup: It must be great to be in a position to educate so many minds on a subject so fascinating to many of us.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Offlineh20chef
Stranger
Male
    #16221992 - 05/12/12 10:09 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you Alan, for a very informative and visually stimulating discussion this afternoon.  I enjoyed it immensely and judging by the audiences' reaction after your talk, you were very well received.  I spoke to you briefly before your talk and would like to initiate further dialogue with you. If that is possible please contact me at mestamm@hotmail.com.  Thanks, Michael

Invisiblecc2
Mush

Re: Magic Thrills in Hayes Valley with Alan Rockefeller [Re: h20chef]
    #16223108 - 05/13/12 05:27 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

awesome job once again Alan :wexican:

Edited by cc2 (05/13/12 12:08 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures