Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedutoit077
New Guy
I'm a teapot User Gallery

fruiting chamber and holes
    #16202393 - 05/08/12 10:27 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

So I found a random rubbermaid container in my house closet and decided it'll do the job of a fruiting chamber. But the trouble is that it's not very deep and is actually very long-a rectangular container. I believe that great surface area of the bottom will dry out the perlite rather quickly...so should I drill less holes in the bottom side? I'll try 2 get some pics up asap.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDesykaLamgeene
Stranger
Re: fruiting chamber and holes [Re: dutoit077]
    #16202446 - 05/08/12 10:34 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I don't know the answer to your question, but - I do have a question that may help those who can answer in doing so:

Will you be able to get at least 3" - 4" of perlite in it? Or is it too shallow for that?

Because I'd assume that if you could get the recommended 3-4" then you'd be ok...a shallower layer would probably dry out too quick, but like I said, I dunno - not experienced enough to answer that one.

Offlinedutoit077
New Guy

Re: fruiting chamber and holes [Re: DesykaLamgeene]
    #16202721 - 05/08/12 11:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It's actually a 6 inch deep container...obv gunna have some issues there? I mean if I could manage 3 inches of perlite there won't be much growth space for my shrooms. Then again my lid is opaque so I'm hoping my shrooms will grow more to the side. I'm wondering if I could also cut my cakes in a way that would also makes it grow more to the side?

OfflineTheBot0nist
Stretching my Cotyledons
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE USA Flag
    #16202768 - 05/08/12 11:27 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

EDIT: just read that last one. It sounds too short. pony up the $7 buck for the right container man. If it is your first try, it is important to follow the tek exactly to help ensure success.

If your making a shotgun fruiting chamber, which I recommend for PF tek cakes, then the length wont really matter, as long as it is high enough for the several inches of perilite, the cakes, and the soon to be there fruits. Follow the tek and drill 1/4 holes ever 2", all the way around and on every side, top and bottom. Like you shot it with a shotgun. If you have trouble maintaining a high enough RH, you can always tape a few holes up if needed easily. Your thick, and constantly moistened bed of perilite will provide plenty of moisture. Just remember to must as needed.

Get a hydrometer too. They are cheap at pet stores. I got a nice digi one with a thermometer too for $25 USD.

--------------------
U.T.F.S.E., and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

"Therefore I should infer from analogy that probably all the organic beings which have ever lived on this earth have descended from some one primordial form, into which life was first breathed." - On the Origin of Species Charles Darwin

The Secret of Life. Read it all, and every link, this is not a joke.

Don't judge each day only by the harvests you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.

OfflineDesykaLamgeene
Stranger
    #16203760 - 05/09/12 07:56 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Ah, yeah, I think you'd have problems with it being that shallow - unless you have TWO of those containers, in which case you could make a sort of 'dubtub' SGFC - with one tub upside down on top of the other, giving you a 12" high FC. Buuut, sounds like you only have 1.

I'd definitely work on getting a bigger tub - wish you the best!

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: fruiting chamber and holes [Re: TheBot0nist]
    #16203767 - 05/09/12 07:59 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TheBot0nist said:
If it is your first try, it is important to follow the tek exactly to help ensure success.

Agreed. Don't tape the holes up, that's not in the tek.
A hydrometer is a handy device, but a hygrometer is used to measure humidity.
You don't really need one if you build your shotgun FC correctly, but it's nice to have.
(I like digitals too, but they aren't popular around here)

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinedutoit077
New Guy

Re: fruiting chamber and holes [Re: Doc_T]
    #16208056 - 05/10/12 12:17 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

alright thanks guys

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates