Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleStateOfMind404
Cosmic Drifter/Failed Seeker
 User Gallery

On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research * 11
    #16200701 - 05/08/12 04:01 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.maps.org/mmj/dealawsuit/MAPS_Oral_Args_11May2012_PR_FINAL.pdf

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MONDAY, MAY 7, 2012
Allen Hopper, Criminal Justice and Drug Policy Director, ACLU of California
Contact via Communications Director Laura Saponara: 510-367-8453
U.S. APPEALS COURT TO HEAR ORAL ARGUMENTS IN CASE
CHALLENGING DEA’S DENIAL OF LICENSE FOR MEDICAL
MARIJUANA PRODUCTION FACILITY

On Friday, May 11, the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit in Boston, Mass., will hear
oral arguments in a federal lawsuit against the Drug Enforcement Administration for denying University
of Massachusetts-Amherst Prof. Lyle Craker a license to grow marijuana for privately funded medical
research. The arguments are the culmination of nearly 11 years of legal and administrative proceedings
seeking to end the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) monopoly on the supply of marijuana for
research.

The lawsuit is a response to an August 15, 2011, final order issued by the DEA rejecting a DEA
Administrative Law Judge’s 2007 recommendation that it would be in the public interest to grant Craker
the license. A laboratory at the University of Mississippi funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse
is currently the only facility in the U.S. permitted to grow marijuana for research.
Craker is represented in the case by Washington, D.C., law firm Covington & Burling LLP and the
American Civil Liberties Union.

Craker first applied in June 2001 for a DEA license to start a marijuana production facility at the
University of Massachusetts-Amherst under contract to the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic
Studies (MAPS), a non-profit research and educational organization whose mission includes developing
marijuana into an FDA-approved prescription medicine. Prior to Craker’s application, NIDA had refused
to sell marijuana to two FDA-approved MAPS-sponsored protocols, preventing them from taking place.
In September 2011, NIDA refused to sell marijuana to a third FDA-approved MAPS-sponsored protocol,
this one in 50 U.S. veterans with chronic, treatment-resistant posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD),
preventing it from taking place. MAPS and Craker are working to open the door for privately funded drug
development studies conducted under FDA regulations.

Despite increasingly widespread recognition of marijuana’s therapeutic benefits and formal policies in 17
states and the District of Columbia, the federal government still insists that marijuana is a dangerous drug
with no medical value. Even if MAPS and Craker’s efforts to open the door for privately funded,
federally regulated non-profit medical marijuana research are successful, it will likely take a decade for
marijuana to become an FDA-approved prescription medicine. In the meantime, getting PTSD patients
access to the treatments they need will depend on the continuing success of state-based medical marijuana
policy reform.

DOCKET TO BE CALLED FRIDAY, MAY 11, 2012 AT 9:30 A.M
COURT OF APPEALS PANEL COURTROOM, 7TH FLOOR
BEFORE JUDGES: Torruella, Lipez, Howard
09-1220 Lyle E. Craker v. Drug Enforcement Administration
Appellant 15 min. Appellee 15 min.
###

The Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit research and
educational organization that works with government regulatory agencies to develop whole-plant
marijuana into an FDA-approved prescription medicine.

More information is available at www.maps.org/research/mmj.

The Petitioner’s Reply Brief in Lyle E. Craker v. Drug Enforcement Administration is available at
www.maps.org/mmj/dealawsuit/2012.05.04_Craker_Reply.pdf.

--------------------
Do you believe that getting caught with LSD should not result in a life sentence? This person is serving one~ click and sign this petition to hopefully bring about change in this man's life if you feel this way. Life imprisonment for lsd is just immoral.
http://www.change.org/petitions/clemency-for-roderick-walker-life-for-lsd

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDest
PsyconaughtBrainSurgeonSleuth
 User Gallery

Loc: Land of the Red
Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: StateOfMind404] * 1
    #16200765 - 05/08/12 04:21 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

42 years and they are finally getting a taste of their own medicine

Invisiblejohnnyrad

Loc: on an award tour
Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research *DELETED* [Re: StateOfMind404]
    #16200841 - 05/08/12 04:42 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by johnnyrad

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinegref
Philosoraptor

Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: johnnyrad] * 1
    #16200852 - 05/08/12 04:44 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

I fucking HATE the DEA so much!!!  :smokerage:

--------------------

AMU TEKs

OfflineStatuesCryBleeding
Mycology Enthusiast

Loc: The Great White North Flag
Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: gref] * 2
    #16201178 - 05/08/12 05:53 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Ah whatever, this is why America is falling behind.. I'm sure Germany or Canada once Stephen-the-puppy-rapist-Harper leaves parliament, will pick up the slack in medical research.. Actually I trust the American studies on cannabis nearly as much as I trust the Chinese research.

OfflineShroom_i
Gatherer
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Zone Six (6)
Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: StatuesCryBleeding]
    #16201333 - 05/08/12 06:24 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

I don't understand how the federal govt can say something's illegal, if the states that give them the power to govern say it's not.

WE give them the power to make laws that WE agree are beneficial.

The fuck they think they are actin like this. Pussies.

--------------------
Prisoner#1 said:
[quote]destructo_low said:
Prisoner's posts by percentage.

Smart and witty - 9.9999922409044%

Kind and caring - 0.0000077590956%
[/quote]

worthy of a facepalm - 90%[/quote]

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

Loc: Misty Mountains, B.C. Flag
Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: Shroom_i] * 1
    #16201599 - 05/08/12 07:13 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Fuck the DEA. I hope the bastards get the living shit sued out of them, and it sets some precedent.

:finger:

--------------------

Offlinewithoutawire
Bunny Lover
 User Gallery

Loc: San Francisco
Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: The Vapor] * 1
    #16201608 - 05/08/12 07:14 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

FUCK THE DEA.

--------------------
:tigerbunny:

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Happy, happy, joy, joy!
 User Gallery

Loc: Meadow
Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: The Vapor]
    #16201804 - 05/08/12 07:47 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The Vapor said:
Fuck the DEA. I hope the bastards get the living shit sued out of them, and it sets some precedent.

It is like when local cops are sued for abuse of power. The money comes out of YOUR POCKETS. Thus they cannot really lose.

--------------------

As predicted by theoretical physics:
            The Higgs Bison!

OfflineDest
PsyconaughtBrainSurgeonSleuth
 User Gallery

Loc: Land of the Red
Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: StatuesCryBleeding] * 1
    #16201908 - 05/08/12 08:06 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

StatuesCryBleeding said:
Ah whatever, this is why America is falling behind.. I'm sure Germany or Canada once Stephen-the-puppy-rapist-Harper leaves parliament, will pick up the slack in medical research.. Actually I trust the American studies on cannabis nearly as much as I trust the Chinese research.

Marijuana kills!no wait it cures cancer. It harms your lungs! Cannabis improves lung function..

What u mean our science is infallible.

Offlinerunningfox2002
Green Thumb
Male User Gallery

Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: Dest]
    #16202912 - 05/08/12 11:05 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

I hope they point oit the fact that ecstacy was approved for ptsd research yet the weed wasnt.  Nida was the only one who blocked these guys.  I thought the dea granted them the license but nida had final say so in the matter of who gets funded on mary j.

--------------------
                              ...to have some fun?                            Nobody knows :wink:

Anything I say or talk about is strictly for my own search of knowledge and to satisfy my thirst of curiosity.

Invisiblejboredone
Money-The root of all evil....
 User Gallery

Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: runningfox2002]
    #16202922 - 05/08/12 11:09 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

"It is like when local cops are sued for abuse of power. The money comes out of YOUR POCKETS. Thus they cannot really lose.":bigyesnod:

--------------------
Peace Pot Micro-Dot God Loves You High or Not!!!
In order to grow old and wise, you must once have been young and dumb!

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: Shroom_i]
    #16203454 - 05/09/12 03:48 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Shroom_i said:
I don't understand how the federal govt can say something's illegal, if the states that give them the power to govern say it's not.

It is due to the commerce clause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commerce_Clause

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Happy, happy, joy, joy!
 User Gallery

Loc: Meadow
Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #16203601 - 05/09/12 05:21 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Worst ruling from the Supreme Court ever. Nothing Constitutional or according to Law - all about political pressure.

--------------------

As predicted by theoretical physics:
            The Higgs Bison!

Offlinei like cow poo
Nature Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mother Nature's Vagina
Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #16203901 - 05/09/12 07:52 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

DEA is just a terrorist group organized to harass druggies. Fuck the DEA:kingcrankey:

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

Loc: Misty Mountains, B.C. Flag
Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #16203929 - 05/09/12 08:05 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

The Vapor said:

It is like when local cops are sued for abuse of power. The money comes out of YOUR POCKETS. Thus they cannot really lose.

It doesn't come out of my pocket for the DEA, I'm in Canada.

--------------------

InvisibleEnlil
The Johnny Appleseed of Hope
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #16203940 - 05/09/12 08:13 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Worst ruling from the Supreme Court ever. Nothing Constitutional or according to Law - all about political pressure.

Lol...there are much worse SCOTUS decisions:

Dred Scott v. Sanford
Plessy v. Ferguson
Griswold v. Connecticut

There are plenty more...Commerce clause cases are tame in comparison...

--------------------
Fuck the Amish

Ellis Dee said, "And those kids in CT deserved to die and I'm glad they're dead. I am glad that the survivors will have to "live with it" too. hahaha"

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

Loc: NJ Flag
Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: The Vapor]
    #16204051 - 05/09/12 08:46 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The Vapor said:

this. as everyone has said, we will ultimately wind up paying for it, but at the very least, a victory against the DEA will at least be symbolic in some way, even if it doesn't change anything.

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

sheekle: fuck peace love and unity
sheekle: death despair and misery
sheekle: is where it's at

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: Absent Minded]
    #16204309 - 05/09/12 10:16 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Fuck the DEA.  They are evil.  This is great.

--------------------

Offlinefunkyjunky
Sigh Low Sippin'
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: brick city
Re: On 5/11/2012, the DEA goes on trial for blocking medical cannabis research [Re: Enlil]
    #16204335 - 05/09/12 10:21 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:

Lol...there are much worse SCOTUS decisions:

Dred Scott v. Sandford
Plessy v. Ferguson
Griswold v. Connecticut

There are plenty more...Commerce clause cases are tame in comparison...

First two are bad decisions, I agree, but the third
Quote:

The case involved a Connecticut law that prohibited the use of contraceptives. By a vote of 7–2, the Supreme Court invalidated the law on the grounds that it violated the "right to marital privacy".

source: wikipedia  seems just to me.  Invalidating prophylactic prohibition via the right to marital privacy, and sets a precedent of privacy counter to recent abortion rights debates.  Unless I'm missing something (briefly scanned the wiki)?

And re: the topic; This case has been going on way too long.  I feel the dea is using stalling tactics that would land any citizen in jail.  iirc, the dea has ignored court mandated deadlines and has given no reason for doing so.  Medical research being blocked by a regulatory agency that can't even get pharmaceutical API quotas right.

--------------------
Long Live the Shroomery
Peace

Edited by funkyjunky (05/09/12 10:30 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service