Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAzurescens89
Stranger
Whitehouse Petition Response to "End the War on Drugs"
    #16136632 - 04/25/12 04:14 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

OFFICIAL OFFICE OF NATIONAL DRUG CONTROL POLICY RESPONSE TO
End the destructive, wasteful and counterproductive "War on Drugs" and 1 other petition
Reforming the Criminal Justice System
By Benjamin B. Tucker

Thank you for participating in We the People and signing a petition related to drug control policy in the United States. The public engagement these petitions provide informs our work moving forward. And in many cases, we've found it also offers an opportunity to explain our view -- and perhaps share some things we're already doing that you may not know about.

For example, we agree that it's time to move past the idea of an enforcement-only "War on Drugs" and focus on reforming the drug control, treatment, and incarceration systems in the United States. That's not just rhetoric; here are some specific steps we've taken:

In August 2010, President Obama signed the Fair Sentencing Act into law. This important and long-overdue criminal justice reform dramatically reduced a 100-to-1 sentencing disparity between powder and crack cocaine. And more recently, we advocated for, and the U.S. Sentencing Commission approved, the retroactive application of these sentencing guidelines that became effective on November 1, 2011.

This Administration strongly supports drug courts, which place non-violent drug offenders into treatment and provide them with supportive services instead of incarceration. There are over 2,600 drug courts across the Nation, diverting about 120,000 people a year into treatment instead of prison.

The Administration is taking action to implement the Second Chance Act, which provides resources for programs that improve coordination of reentry services and policies at the state, tribal, and local levels, including demonstration grants, reentry courts, family-centered programs, substance abuse treatment, employment, mentoring, and other services needed to improve transition from prison and jail to communities and reduce recidivism.

The Administration is working to help formerly incarcerated individuals successfully reenter society after serving their terms. This is vital because, of the more than two million people behind bars, 95 percent of them will be released back into their communities. Successful, evidence-based reentry initiatives provide a major opportunity to reduce recidivism, save taxpayer dollars, and make our communities safer. To break the cycle, in 2010, the Department of Justice awarded $100 million in grants to support 178 state and local reentry programs that provide a wide range of services. In late September, the Department awarded another $83 million to 118 new grantees. In addition, the Department of Justice is successfully encouraging the creation of reentry courts for Federal offenders across the country.

Since day one, President Obama has led the way in reforming our Nation's drug policies by, among other things, addressing drug use and its consequences as a public health problem. Science shows that drug addiction is a chronic disease of the brain. It affects judgment and reasoning, and changes the brain's chemistry. By recognizing drug addiction as a disease, we are working to prevent and treat the underlying substance use disorders that drive a great deal of crime and recidivism in America. We believe that it makes much more sense to support programs that address underlying substance abuse problems before the condition becomes chronic and harder to treat. The President's National Drug Control Strategy balances efforts to prevent and treat substance use disorders with smart law enforcement efforts that work to dismantle drug trafficking organizations.

Our Nation's illegal drug problem harms every sector of our society. It tears apart families, strains our healthcare system, drives crime, and places tremendous burdens on our criminal justice system. In fact, last year, the Department of Justice released new data showing that drug use costs our society about $193 billion a year (PDF). Of that amount, $56 billion of those dollars can be traced directly back to costs associated solely with the criminal justice system.

While the vast majority of individuals in Federal and state prisons for drug offenses were sentenced for more serious drug trafficking offenses (as opposed to simple possession), these staggering costs reveal the need to continue reforming our Nation's criminal justice system to break the cycle of drug use, crime, incarceration, and re-arrest. We have made significant progress over the past three years, but more needs to be done.

We are working with our Federal partners to improve access to employment, eliminate barriers to accessing benefits and health care, and clarify Federal regulations and laws which have been misinterpreted as erecting barriers to reentry for formerly incarcerated individuals:

The Administration has worked to make (PDF) certain that local public housing authorities understand Federal law regarding the discretion housing authorities have to allow ex-offenders access to public housing. Research shows that ex-offenders who do not find stable housing in the community are more likely to recidivate than those who do. Studies also have found that the majority of people released from prison intend to return to their families (PDF), families who may live in public or other subsidized housing. Clarifying these rules allowing ex-offenders to rejoin their families is therefore an important part of our overall criminal justice reform efforts.

The Administration is also funding a demonstration project involving four jurisdictions to support the successful reunification of formerly incarcerated or chronically homeless men and women with their families, and to offer the comprehensive support needed to help them avoid reoffending while becoming both social and economic assets to their family and community.

The Department of Justice has urged state attorneys general to review the legal collateral consequences of their State laws that may burden ex-offenders' successful reentry into society. This effort parallels the Department of Justice-led review of Federal collateral consequences as a step to reducing the unnecessary burdens placed upon reentering offenders.

We continue to strongly support the role law enforcement plays in making communities safer and taking down violent transnational criminal organizations that threaten public safety. But the Obama Administration's approach to drug policy is also guided by three facts: addiction is a disease that can be treated; people can recover; and innovative new criminal justice reforms can stop the revolving door of drug use, crime, incarceration, and re-arrest.

Benjamin B. Tucker is Deputy Director of State, Local and Tribal Affairs at the Office of National Drug Control Policy

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAzurescens89
Stranger
Re: Whitehouse Petition Response to "End the War on Drugs" [Re: Azurescens89]
    #16136634 - 04/25/12 04:15 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

OfflineNullface

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Whitehouse Petition Response to "End the War on Drugs" [Re: Azurescens89]
    #16136804 - 04/25/12 05:56 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Link doesn't work.

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Too fucking cute!
 User Gallery

Loc: Meadow
Re: Whitehouse Petition Response to "End the War on Drugs" [Re: Azurescens89] * 3
    #16137010 - 04/25/12 08:35 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

If Obama truly believed in the drug war, he would turn himself in for possessing an using. And Clinton and Bush could also join him.

--------------------

OfflineJacksonMetaller
Stranger

Re: Whitehouse Petition Response to "End the War on Drugs" [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #16137084 - 04/25/12 09:28 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
If Obama truly believed in the drug war, he would turn himself in for possessing an using. And Clinton and Bush could also join him.

but Clinton didnt inhale. his morality shall stand unquestioned

--------------------
Drugs to try: Alcohol, Weed, LSD, AL-LAD, LSZ, Mushrooms, DMT:heart:, DPT, MET, 4-AcO-DMT, 4-HO-MET, 5-MeO-MiPT, LSA, Ayahuasca, Changa, Mescaline, 2c-b, 2c-e, 2c-p, 2c-t-7, 25i-nbome, DOC, MDMA, MDA, Methylone, DXM, Ketamine, N2O, MXE, Salvia, Kratom

InvisibleEnlil Happy BirthdayM
The Johnny Appleseed of Hope™
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Whitehouse Petition Response to "End the War on Drugs" [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #16137367 - 04/25/12 11:27 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:

What good would that do?  There's no evidence that they have used recently...and there is a statute of limitations on crimes...so they couldn't be prosecuted even if they wanted to be.

--------------------
Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Ellis Dee said, "And those kids in CT deserved to die and I'm glad they're dead. I am glad that the survivors will have to "live with it" too. hahaha"

akira_akuma said, "fuck the freedom to speech, it's all crap"

OfflineSage.Phish
Guerrilla Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: City 17
Re: Whitehouse Petition Response to "End the War on Drugs" [Re: Enlil]
    #16137750 - 04/25/12 02:11 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

george washington is my pot dealer :p

Invisibleunknown1123
Experimental
 Arcade Champion: Cricket

Re: Whitehouse Petition Response to "End the War on Drugs" [Re: Sage.Phish]
    #16137918 - 04/25/12 02:57 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

I find it funny that the first thing they mention is the crack and cocaine sentencing difference. Too bad the American public as a whole wouldn't dare follow anyone that wanted to revolt and take back the power like the founding fathers did.

:facepalm:

--------------------

Offlinesonamdrukpa
Wayfarer

Re: Whitehouse Petition Response to "End the War on Drugs" [Re: unknown1123]
    #16137992 - 04/25/12 03:19 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Too little, too late.

--------------------

Offlinexpl0de
ḆËŦŦЯ_őƑ_Ŧwo ƹvïlz
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Whitehouse Petition Response to "End the War on Drugs" [Re: sonamdrukpa]
    #16138950 - 04/25/12 07:53 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

:feelsbadman:

--------------------

Invisibletrip forever
Stranger

Re: Whitehouse Petition Response to "End the War on Drugs" [Re: xpl0de]
    #16139646 - 04/25/12 10:45 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

As long as the majority of violence stays in Mexico the U.S won't give a shit.

--------------------

OfflineAmsu Jackal
Urcan Refugee
 User Gallery

Re: Whitehouse Petition Response to "End the War on Drugs" [Re: trip forever]
    #16140524 - 04/26/12 02:20 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

so they just never answered the question, but beat around the bush, as always with all of these questions.  its basically a "no, and fuck you for asking" response it seems. they just said hey, heres what we can offer now for people that just got out of jail/prison. idiots.

--------------------
Perfect calm is the sensation of pure awareness.

Invisiblemaug
 User Gallery

Loc: inside you
    #16140888 - 04/26/12 04:38 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

trip forever said:

As long as it's violence, the US won't give a shit. There's plenty of violence in the US already. Without the war on drugs, we wouldn't have "the streets."

It's people talking openly that makes them uneasy.

--------------------
I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction. -Calvin and Hobbes

OfflineDosile Kouki
derp

Loc: Paradise
Re: Whitehouse Petition Response to "End the War on Drugs" [Re: maug]
    #16140924 - 04/26/12 05:03 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

i think the administration wants to legalize drugs and knows that sooner or later they have to, but i think also that they are caught in a game of stalemate. nobody wants to be "that guy" who put the bill through the senate, or "that guy" who legalized drugs, or "that country" that legalized drugs. slowly but surely things are changing, but its a gradual process. bearauecracy never moves at a fast pace. and the people in control are very conservative in the way they conduct themselves. they aren't just going to wake up one morning and legalize everything.

--------------------

InvisibleBalleriumM
Petrichor
Female User Gallery

#16140925 - 04/26/12 05:05 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

How is wanting a little bit of chemical pleasure in life considered a disease?

--------------------

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Whitehouse Petition Response to "End the War on Drugs" [Re: JacksonMetaller]
    #16141112 - 04/26/12 07:11 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

JacksonMetaller said:
Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:

but Clinton didnt inhale. his morality shall stand unquestioned

He was still in possession of illegal cannabis drugs, and therefore was consorting with jazz playing negros who use the devil weed to seduce white women.

--------------------
Wiccan_Seeker said:
slide down a pole than with your legs spread and using your pussy as a brake. Ask the fire department :imslow:

Invisibletrip forever
Stranger

#16141747 - 04/26/12 11:45 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

maug said:
Quote:

trip forever said:

As long as it's violence, the US won't give a shit. There's plenty of violence in the US already. Without the war on drugs, we wouldn't have "the streets."

It's people talking openly that makes them uneasy.

True.

But there is much much much more violence in Mexico, can't  really compare it to the U.S, even cops, politicians, judges, journalist, innocent people are getting killed and they can't do anything about it.

Here it's usually just crime members get ping murdered with a few civilians missed in there.

--------------------

OfflineSynapse Trap
In search of euphoria..
 User Gallery

#16142555 - 04/26/12 03:37 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

hey thanks for posting the severed heads while I was eating.

A warning would be nice next time.

--------------------
:mushroom2: Synapse Trap :mushroom2:
"Johnny's in the basement mixin' up the medicine..
I'm on the pavement thinkin' 'bout the government.." -Dylan
-------------------------------------
Black Sabbath live in Paris 1970

-------------------------------------

^^  LSD circa 1985 Houston, Texas ("Globes" and a.k.a "New World Order")

Invisiblemaug
 User Gallery

Loc: inside you
Re: Whitehouse Petition Response to "End the War on Drugs" [Re: Ballerium]
    #16142862 - 04/26/12 05:00 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Ballerium said:
How is wanting a little bit of chemical pleasure in life considered a disease?

I was thinking about this a little lately, and about some outspoken doctors like Dr Drew on LoveLine. It might be because they only see the worst of humanity - people with no discipline, motivation, or self-control. There's some money and bad science there, but I think there's enough people behind it that believe their own lies. It doesn't help that they use phrases like "drugs."

--------------------
I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction. -Calvin and Hobbes

InvisibleBalleriumM
Petrichor
Female User Gallery

#16145020 - 04/27/12 01:02 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

I think that people just want to skirt around the fact that people like pleasure, and I just can't understand why wanting pleasure is so wrong in this society. This world sucks, and people want their lives to be as happy and enjoyable as possible. So of course people are going to try all kinds of things out that are fun, including drugs. Be it just for enjoyment or for an escape from this shitty world. And they think that fining everyone/locking everyone up is going to stop the problem. As long as there is curiosity and thirst for pleasure in this world, the demand to use drugs recreationally will never go away.

--------------------

Edited by Ballerium (04/27/12 01:03 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service