Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelokendoch

Re: shroom grow help [Re: Lifted1]
    #16114112 - 04/19/12 10:43 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

With the dry verm layer 1/4 inch or more, you dont need foil or tape, just your standard tops with holes punched in it.

I have a bunch of different experiments going with tons of the the green mean monster floating around.(I know it is in the air I have a mini mono 1/4 covered with it :wink: still pumping mushies though) I noc up jars in open air, and have regular drinking glasses 95% colonized with no contams, with only dry verm on top, no foil(was just a test, I see all these post about the fear of contams and wanted to test what would happen)While I dont recomend you do open jars, your are pretty safe with jar tops with holes punched in em.

P.s.

I lose like 1-4 jars outta around 50 so contams do fuk ya up, but not so much where i'm at. Maybe it is my temps, maybe i'm lucky, or maybe some people just shouldnt fuk with their own mind.....

--------------------
I am you and what i see is me, do I take you by the hand and lead you across this land and help me understand the best I can?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

Re: shroom grow help [Re: Zulu The Most High]
    #16114122 - 04/19/12 10:46 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Zulu The Most High said:
Ive never put foil on top of my lids while colonizing and ive had mycelium growing on the dry verm layer on several jars

And I searched the forum and found that this is pretty common.

I dont think foil on top of the lids is what causes it

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I'd suggest removing the foil.  It serves to prevent water from dripping into your jars from the lid of the pc or kettle.  After sterilization, leaving the foil on can lead to damp filters, thus an increased risk of contamination.  Whether you use tyvek, polyfill, a verm layer, etc., you want it to remain always dry.
RR

Of course it does, it's trapping in all of the condensation from the moist substrate. Other things can cause it though, water splashing up the sides of your jars during sterilization. Having your jar bands too loose or loose foil during sterilization can cause this as well.

If it were a dry vermiculite layer the odds of colonization in it goes down severely as the mycelium has no desire to grow on it. A dry verm layer rarely ever gets colonized like a wet verm layer will.

Edited by VaeVictum (04/19/12 10:58 PM)

OfflineLifted1
Space Cadet
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East USA Flag
Re: shroom grow help [Re: lokendoch]
    #16114127 - 04/19/12 10:47 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

"I am you and what i see is me, do I take you by the hand and lead you across this land and help me understand the best I can? "

Echoes.... nice. Everything is green and submarine...

--------------------

Discovering yourself is only "discovery" in so much as you discovered that what you once thought was real, is only a mirage.

InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

#16114138 - 04/19/12 10:49 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Sorry for any thread-jacking here but Pink Floyd is such an amazing band especially that song. Great music for great times.

:soundsgoodman:

OfflineLifted1
Space Cadet
Male User Gallery

#16114143 - 04/19/12 10:51 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

You peeps keep saying he doesn't need tape cuz the verm is his filter.... The myc has penetrated his filter. Seems to me you'd want to cover the roads that contams would travel to colonizing myc at this point.

--------------------

Discovering yourself is only "discovery" in so much as you discovered that what you once thought was real, is only a mirage.

OfflineLifted1
Space Cadet
Male User Gallery

Re: shroom grow help [Re: VaeVictum]
    #16114151 - 04/19/12 10:52 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

VaeVictum said:
Sorry for any thread-jacking here but Pink Floyd is such an amazing band especially that song. Great music for great times.

:soundsgoodman:

man, meddle kicks arse.:rockon:

--------------------

OfflineSilent165
Male

#16114170 - 04/19/12 10:55 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yes in deed thanks man

--------------------
Sometimes people say they never have time but i belive there is more time than life.

InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

#16114171 - 04/19/12 10:55 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Lifted1 said:

man, meddle kicks arse.:rockon:

Saucerful of secrets is one of my favorites.

Also as far as the micropore tape goes yes he probably really should rush out and grab some micropore tape for those bad boys. Personally though I wouldn't be freaking out as much since I've had it happen several times, usually the damage is already done IMO and whatever happens happens. I usually end up with a bacterial contam when my verm layer gets moist. If you want to try and prevent any further damage though the micropore tape is a great idea.

Personally I'd be starting some jars in case something happens to those few jars. The 90% ones probably don't need micropore tape at this point, they're healthy and should be finishing up real soon.

InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

#16114190 - 04/19/12 10:59 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Are those pins in some of the jars or vermiculite that's fallen down the edges?

Offlinelokendoch

#16114200 - 04/19/12 11:01 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Myc is very resistant to contams, if it is eating his dry verm,(or more than likely just working it's way through it so it can reproduce) he has no problems. Birht the jars, scrape the dry verm and the myc of the top = to the amount of dry verm you put on and dunk then roll.

zzzzzzzz 3 replies while i was typing lol

Floyd rocks, old floyd is better, meddle, works, The final cut, Saucer full of secrets by far, and umma gumma studio albulm..........

--------------------
I am you and what i see is me, do I take you by the hand and lead you across this land and help me understand the best I can?

Edited by lokendoch (04/19/12 11:04 PM)

OfflineLifted1
Space Cadet
Male User Gallery

#16114212 - 04/19/12 11:03 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

VaeVictum said:

Personally though I wouldn't be freaking out as much since I've had it happen several times, usually the damage is already done IMO and whatever happens happens.

I totally agree with this statement. It's just that I always have micro pore tape on hand for this hobby, and since his filter has been breached, I don't see any other last ditch method available to save him if there's a chance at all that he'll get contams.  :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineSilent165
Male

Re: shroom grow help [Re: lokendoch]
    #16114215 - 04/19/12 11:03 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Just vermiculite

--------------------
Sometimes people say they never have time but i belive there is more time than life.

OfflineZulu The Most High
Soul Adventurer

Loc: Colorado
    #16114281 - 04/19/12 11:20 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

VaeVictum said:
Quote:

Zulu The Most High said:
Ive never put foil on top of my lids while colonizing and ive had mycelium growing on the dry verm layer on several jars

And I searched the forum and found that this is pretty common.

I dont think foil on top of the lids is what causes it

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I'd suggest removing the foil.  It serves to prevent water from dripping into your jars from the lid of the pc or kettle.  After sterilization, leaving the foil on can lead to damp filters, thus an increased risk of contamination.  Whether you use tyvek, polyfill, a verm layer, etc., you want it to remain always dry.
RR

Of course it does, it's trapping in all of the condensation from the moist substrate. Other things can cause it though, water splashing up the sides of your jars during sterilization. Having your jar bands too loose or loose foil during sterilization can cause this as well.

If it were a dry vermiculite layer the odds of colonization in it goes down severely as the mycelium has no desire to grow on it. A dry verm layer rarely ever gets colonized like a wet verm layer will.

I wasnt arguing the foil causing the dry verm to get wet.

I was saying, from what ive read, its pretty common for dry verm layers to get colonized even without FOIL on top of the lids. thats all i was saying.

lol wtf?

I dont speak on things i dont know bro.

but thanks for the extra info lol

--------------------
[

Edited by Zulu The Most High (04/19/12 11:24 PM)

Offlinejcalk
Beautiful Beautiful Fungus!
Male User Gallery

Re: shroom grow help [Re: Zulu The Most High]
    #16115230 - 04/20/12 06:56 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Man you just gotta love shroomery!

--------------------
"I just wish I could have stopped to cherish the moment while it lasted but maybe thats the point, the second your smart enough to recognize freedom your no longer free you see heaven isn't some place that we go to when we die It's that split second in life where you actually feel alive and until the end of time, we chase the memory of that
hoping the future holds something better than the past." - Michael Larsen

OfflineLifted1
Space Cadet
Male User Gallery

Re: shroom grow help [Re: jcalk]
    #16116413 - 04/20/12 02:00 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

We do  :plutonic:

--------------------

OfflineSilent165
Male

#16128340 - 04/23/12 12:25 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

so i added a extra vermiculite layer two days ago so hopefully no contams so far so good but before i did that i baked que ver..

--------------------

OfflineSilent165
Male

Re: shroom grow help [Re: Silent165]
    #16186654 - 05/05/12 03:58 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Well turns out that everything came out fine.. i also removed the foil and added pore tape on My other jars inoculated with ban nathons.. well ill keep posting new pics every other day to share.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck