Home | Community | Message Board

ShroomSupply.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator, Dessicant, Silica Gel

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedatoker
Stranger
Dehydrated mushrooms stored in plastic became moist again
    #16085670 - 04/13/12 05:50 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

I dehydrated some shrooms the other day and put them in a ziplock bag.  I forgot them on the counter instead of putting them in the fridge and they seem to have rehydrated over night.  I just put them back in the the dehydrator.  My questions are;

1) Are they still safe?
2) Do you think they will loose much potency?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineShiroi Usagi
Psychonaut
Male

Re: Dehydrated mushrooms stored in plastic became moist again [Re: datoker]
    #16085683 - 04/13/12 05:54 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Something tells me they weren't fully dehydrated to begin with. It shouldn't cause a problem, but the sooner they are consumed the better. I don't think it will change potency.

--------------------
This is all a lie.

InvisibleTranscendingLifeS
I Don't Need a Life to Live
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dehydrated mushrooms stored in plastic became moist again [Re: Shiroi Usagi]
    #16085979 - 04/13/12 07:11 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

ziplock baggies aren't 100% airtight.
You should vacuum seal the mushrooms for long term storage or extract the alkaloids from the mushi.
Freeze them, if doing the extraction.
I've stored dehydrated mushis for months w/out any moisture problems.

--------------------
Looking for Dictyophora Indusiata (Phallus Indusiatus) Cultures Please PM me for a trade

AMU: We Quickly Answer Questions Here
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs
"You are as dead now as you will ever be" - Seth

OfflineProject
Ride the Spiral

Re: Dehydrated mushrooms stored in plastic became moist again [Re: TranscendingLife]
    #16086077 - 04/13/12 07:38 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

If you store them in plastic bags, make sure the area is very dry and cool.

Vacuum sealing is a great idea if you have one.

Otherwise I recommend using Mason jars.  I've kept dehydrated mushrooms in jars for well over a year and they're fine (still dry anyway).

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Re: Dehydrated mushrooms stored in plastic became moist again [Re: Project]
    #16086245 - 04/13/12 08:30 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

If they were partially dehydrated and only stored for a day they should still be good. I don't imagine they would have lost any potency from it.

--------------------

Invisibleandymc
cocoa beetles from zanzibar
Male User Gallery

Re: Dehydrated mushrooms stored in plastic became moist again [Re: Kizzle]
    #16086455 - 04/13/12 09:20 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

They won't rehydrate all by themselves.

Either the moisture is still there internally when you put them in the bag, or (less likely) it comes in from the outside.

--------------------
How I make spore prints
Trade List
My flow hood

If he asks me "Did you have a good time?" I'll say,
"Get the lights, Mr. Grim Reaper"  -odds

Offlinehusmmoor
Invitro

Re: Dehydrated mushrooms stored in plastic became moist again [Re: datoker]
    #16087805 - 04/14/12 04:19 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Shiroi Usagi said:
Something tells me they weren't fully dehydrated to begin with.

Quote:

andymc said:

Either the moisture is still there internally when you put them in the bag, or (less likely) it comes in from the outside.

I think so too. If the mushrooms had been cracker dry to begin with then it could only have become mushy overnight as you say if there is very high humidity where you live.

I've several times dried some mushrooms, but without reaching cracker-dry (i.e. you literaly crack them like a small dry stick if you twist them), and put them them in a bag or jar, and the next day they seem all wet.

I believe that when you touch the mushrooms and they feel dry, but are stil not cracker-dry, then there is still water inside the mushrooms. As long as they are in low-humidity open air or on tissue/paper drying, then the water from the mushrooms is slowly being removed from them. But put them in a small airtight space with no way for water to escape, and part of the remaining water will just dissipate from the inside of the mushrooms to the relatively drier surface, and they will seem wet. And will objectively become very mushy + at high risk of rotting very fast.

What I do now is 1) fan-dry until the mushrooms can't get any drier this way, which may fall short of cracker-dry unless the air is very dry where you live, or unless you also apply heat. 2) place dried mushrooms in coffee filters inside a container with calciumchloride (I believe this goes by the trade name "drierite" in the U.S.?). After a day or two they are usually cracker-dry. 3) I store my cracker-dry mushrooms in ziplock bags then put these in a jar with a good, tight lid, and some fresh silica-gel bags to still my extreme moisture-phobic paranoia.
This is just how I do it, it works well but can obviously be done in many other and probably better ways.

Invisibleandymc
cocoa beetles from zanzibar
Male User Gallery

Re: Dehydrated mushrooms stored in plastic became moist again [Re: husmmoor]
    #16088830 - 04/14/12 01:07 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

husmmoor said:
1) fan-dry until the mushrooms can't get any drier this way, which may fall short of cracker-dry unless the air is very dry where you live, or unless you also apply heat. 2) place dried mushrooms in coffee filters inside a container with calciumchloride (I believe this goes by the trade name "drierite" in the U.S.?). After a day or two they are usually cracker-dry. 3) I store my cracker-dry mushrooms in ziplock bags then put these in a jar with a good, tight lid, and some fresh silica-gel bags

:whathesaid:  ^^^ exactly this.

Silica gel packets FTW.  (Do not eat) :wink:

--------------------
How I make spore prints
Trade List
My flow hood

If he asks me "Did you have a good time?" I'll say,
"Get the lights, Mr. Grim Reaper"  -odds

InvisibleStygianKnight
A Mushroom

Re: Dehydrated mushrooms stored in plastic became moist again [Re: andymc]
    #16088886 - 04/14/12 01:23 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

I had that problem on my first dry.  Even if you think they are dry, give them longer or put Silica packets in with them.  Once cracker dry plastic back them then glass jar them to be sure.
When fully dry they should completely dust when crushed or ground.
Quote:

andymc said:

It depends, I'm in a humid enough place if they are left out in the open they can get flexible again from the water absorption.  Was a bitch the first time I left a batch out overnight only to need to redry in the morning.

Offlinecolax03
Stranger
Re: Dehydrated mushrooms stored in plastic became moist again [Re: StygianKnight]
    #16088916 - 04/14/12 01:34 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

i keep mine in a plastic big in a tupperware container that has desiccant in it. I just built a little screen to make sure the bag doesnt touch the desiccant. never had an issue

OfflineTriposaurus
Cold-blooded
Re: Dehydrated mushrooms stored in plastic became moist again [Re: andymc]
    #16088927 - 04/14/12 01:37 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Food dehydrators work well, and are not a huge investment considering the hassle of having to handle large amounts of calciumchloride. A standard dehydrator should be around 40-60 USD.

Some say the heat from a food dehydrator makes the alkaloids oxidate faster and thus make the fruits alot less potent, but from experience I can say the effect is negligable. However, just to be safe it might be a good idea to use a table fan to draw out most of the moisture first, then apply the dehydrator on lower setting.

InvisibleTranscendingLifeS
I Don't Need a Life to Live
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dehydrated mushrooms stored in plastic became moist again [Re: Triposaurus]
    #16088963 - 04/14/12 01:48 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

The heat from a food dehydrator (160F roughly) will not damage the potency.
Leaving the mushrooms on the dehydrator for too long will hurt the potency.
Take the mushis off the heat & fan immediately once cracker dry.

In my alcohol extraction tek, my mushrooms are double boiled at 212F for 2 hours w/out a problem.

--------------------
Looking for Dictyophora Indusiata (Phallus Indusiatus) Cultures Please PM me for a trade

AMU: We Quickly Answer Questions Here
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs
"You are as dead now as you will ever be" - Seth

Offlinedatoker
Stranger
Re: Dehydrated mushrooms stored in plastic became moist again [Re: TranscendingLife]
    #16094172 - 04/15/12 06:59 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

I used a food dehydrator, ran them through again and they seem fine.  Probably rushed it the first time.. Thanks

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator, Dessicant, Silica Gel

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation