Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

Loc: Andromeda
Re: Shroomsynergy's Edible Mushroom Cave [Re: shroomsynergy]
    #16015480 - 03/29/12 07:19 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

UPDATE::1upshroom:

I recently put a few Pearl Oyster blocks in the cave to get the party started. Here are a pics from a couple days ago...

I originally just cut X's into the bag of the test block and cut the top off just above the block, but the Oysters started fruiting were they wanted, regardless of the plastic so I just took off all but the bottom and the test block took off. I am now doing that with all of the blocks and they are fruiting from all over.

Here are some pics from today...

This last pic is of one of the straw/cardboard layered blocks I made. They were inoculated at the same time, but seem to be slower to fruit. they are just starting to show primordia, but they do look like they will fruit really strong. Note the primordia forming top center of the block.

I will be adding more pics here in the next couple days. I also have a test Reishi block colonizing in the incubator, and a test Lions mane block as well.  I recently inoculated qt grain jars: 2 pearl oyster, 2 Lions mane, 1 reishi and 1 pink oyster. So far so good.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere Flag
    #16017843 - 03/30/12 06:25 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Looking good, i love the grow tent!

--------------------
Mushroom medicines available at:
www.swordandshieldwellness.com

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

Re: Shroomsynergy's Edible Mushroom Cave [Re: Aleon]
    #16018442 - 03/30/12 09:35 AM (12 years, 1 day ago)

:hi:Thanx for stopping in Aleon. I know it's no were near the caliber of your cool op, but I hope it keeps my family eating great mushrooms for a while.  I just checked the blocks, and it's amazing how fast they grow. I can hardly wait to get my reishi and Lions mane blocks fruiting! I'm adding another LED rope today. Will post update pics after it's all said and done.

--------------------

OfflineSoulphoenix
daytripper
Male

Loc: Shpongleland
    #16024744 - 03/31/12 03:11 PM (12 years, 15 hours ago)

That tent looks great, I'm just about to start building a greenhouse chamber for my first grow, and will definitely be using some of your methods for growing reishi and oyster blocks. After you've harvested you should post a tek with what spawn and blocks methods work best for each kind

--------------------
-Everything that has a beginning has an end.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #16024772 - 03/31/12 03:18 PM (12 years, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

shroomsynergy said:

I Purchased a Vicks coolmist humidifier, cut out a 4" hole thru the grates directly over the fan which my ducting snapped directly into.
I ducted directly into the top vent in the cave.

This is why you have humidity problems.  The humidifier input should be at the bottom of the grow area, not the top.  Humid air is less dense than dry air and always floats to the top.  Furthermore, that looks like a wicking type humidifier, which won't raise your humidity above 80% anyway.  It's essentially nothing more than a cheap swamp cooler, and not suitable for mycology.

In addition, digital hygrometers are not accurate above about 80%, so you need to find a quality analog hair hygrometer for accuracy, and don't forget to calibrate it weekly with the damp towel method.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

Re: Shroomsynergy's Edible Mushroom Cave [Re: Soulphoenix]
    #16024992 - 03/31/12 04:14 PM (12 years, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

Soulphoenix said:
That tent looks great, I'm just about to start building a greenhouse chamber for my first grow, and will definitely be using some of your methods for growing reishi and oyster blocks. After you've harvested you should post a tek with what spawn and blocks methods work best for each kind

Hey there Soulphoenix! Thanx for stopping by the mushroom cave. I will document whats working best for me here with the different mushrooms on different substrates. I'll leave the teks to the people who have been doing it for much longer than I, but thanx for the thought! I hope I see ya here again!

--------------------

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

Re: Shroomsynergy's Edible Mushroom Cave [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #16025025 - 03/31/12 04:22 PM (12 years, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

shroomsynergy said:

I Purchased a Vicks coolmist humidifier, cut out a 4" hole thru the grates directly over the fan which my ducting snapped directly into.
I ducted directly into the top vent in the cave.

This is why you have humidity problems.  The humidifier input should be at the bottom of the grow area, not the top.  Humid air is less dense than dry air and always floats to the top.  Furthermore, that looks like a wicking type humidifier, which won't raise your humidity above 80% anyway.  It's essentially nothing more than a cheap swamp cooler, and not suitable for mycology.

In addition, digital hygrometers are not accurate above about 80%, so you need to find a quality analog hair hygrometer for accuracy, and don't forget to calibrate it weekly with the damp towel method.
RR

I agree about the humidifier. what would you recommend Roger? any Ideas?

...about the intake, that is why I put it on the top, so it blows around the humidity every time it turns on, and so the dry air blows out first thru the exhaust on the bottom. the only other way I could put it would be reversed. INtake on the bottom with an exhaust on the top. Since humidity rises I thought that would be a bad move, and the humid air would rise right out the top thru a ceiling exhaust vent, rather than trapping it at the top as it tends to do now.

I may look into a repti-fogger or ultrasonic so attach to the unit to suplimental humidity. I'm thinking about it.

--------------------

Edited by shroomsynergy (03/31/12 04:23 PM)

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
mycologically driven individual
Male User Gallery

#16025454 - 03/31/12 06:21 PM (12 years, 12 hours ago)

edit: didn't read whole post.... sorry...

--------------------
[url=http:

Edited by SuchSmartMonkeys (03/31/12 06:24 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #16025735 - 03/31/12 07:18 PM (12 years, 11 hours ago)

Feed the humidity in at the bottom.  It will absorb into the air as it travels upward.  You should have vents cut all over the sides and top for air exchange and exhaust rather than try to push it down and out opposite natural currents.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

#16025953 - 03/31/12 07:57 PM (12 years, 11 hours ago)

unfortunately I'm not willing to cut any holes in my growtent...it wasn't cheap and I will eventually get a minigreenhouse, but someday I will revert the growtent back to indoor veggies. I can however try setting the humidifier on the floor and pumping into the bottom, and see how that works. I'll try that sometime soon.

Thanx for the tip RR, do you know what kind of humidifier I should be looking for?

P.S. I just cut off my first bouquet of Pearl oysters and ate them in a salad. I tried one raw, and it's been so long since I had one I forgot just how strong they are. A mushroomy flavor EXPLOSION! POW!
Great with some ranch dressing tho. Even the kiddos liked them.

Tomorrow I'll be using another bouquet in omelette's. YUM! I've taken a few pics of the fruits that I'll post up tomorrow morning. Also looks like my Reishi may be getting close to fruiting stage. I believe I'm waiting for the block to change colors to a brownish yellow color? ...and I saw a couple spots starting to turn...woohoo!

--------------------

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

#16028958 - 04/01/12 12:10 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

UPDATE: :1upmario:

Here are some pics from a couple days ago:

And here they are today:
Made oyster muchroom omelette's this morning, and making mushroom swiss burgers out on the grill tonight! YUM!

now, I am noticing quite a few aborts. Please speak up if you think you know whats going on with this. I would appreciate it.  I do mist with a sprayer a couple times a day, and keep the humidity between 85-95% in the cave.

Thanx for looking!:hi:

--------------------

OfflineSoulphoenix
daytripper
Male

Loc: Shpongleland
Re: Shroomsynergy's Edible Mushroom Cave [Re: Soulphoenix]
    #16031307 - 04/01/12 09:32 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Damn, those look delicious. Do you notice a difference in taste from something you'd get at a grocery store? Grocery store produce is usually always quantity over quality so I'd assume the same might apply to mushrooms

--------------------
-Everything that has a beginning has an end.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #16031439 - 04/01/12 10:25 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

It's normal for there to be a lot of aborts with oysters.  With time and experience you'll get a higher efficiency from your substrates.  Oysters want very bright light, a day/night temperature differential, and 90% or greater humidity and massive fresh air.  Hit all those parameters and you can probably double the number of fruits per substrate, provided the blocks are sufficiently supplemented.  I also mix in some straw with my sawdust for oyster substrates.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

#16033079 - 04/02/12 10:40 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Soulphoenix said:
Damn, those look delicious. Do you notice a difference in taste from something you'd get at a grocery store? Grocery store produce is usually always quantity over quality so I'd assume the same might apply to mushrooms

They are really good. Too strong for me raw, but great when in salads or cooked. The only place that I know of that sells Oyster mushrooms is over 30min from my house and they are quite expensive, so I haven't tried them and can't make a comparison but they are in another league from the typical white buttons IMO. Very strong taste.  I've heard that they have positive health benefits, but I haven't found much info on this.

Thanx for stopping in!:hi:

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
It's normal for there to be a lot of aborts with oysters.  With time and experience you'll get a higher efficiency from your substrates.  Oysters want very bright light, a day/night temperature differential, and 90% or greater humidity and massive fresh air.  Hit all those parameters and you can probably double the number of fruits per substrate, provided the blocks are sufficiently supplemented.  I also mix in some straw with my sawdust for oyster substrates.
RR

Ok, thats good to know. I do have great air exchange, humidity is staying close to 90%, even above 90% about maybe half the day or so, but I think keeping it up there would help too. My substrates are not supplimented this run, but will be the next run. I wanna try to see the difference in flushes, etc. What is the benefit of adding straw to the sawdust mix? sorry for the beginner questions, but if I don't ask I'll never know. lol

I have noticed that the sawdust blocks are fruiting slower than the Coir/coffee block, but the Oysters are bigger. The straw/cardboard blocks are the slowest this time, but I'm hoping that they really do good. They look good anyways.:tongue2:

--------------------

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

#16042177 - 04/04/12 09:11 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, I'm going to dunk the blocks since fruiting flush 1 is done. I've been looking thru the site via search on dunking and find no solid advice on this.  How long should I dunk them for?

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #16042192 - 04/04/12 09:16 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

No mushroom should ever be eaten raw.

Soak the blocks for as long as it takes to return to original(or close) weight.  There is no formula for time because it depends on the substrate and size, etc.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

#16042205 - 04/04/12 09:23 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Ok. I guess I'll just soak them for a couple hours and check them then. I think that they were around 10lb when I fruited them. Any general timeline or links to tek would be very helpfull!

Thanx RR.

I agree. That oyster was sooo strong in flavor my right eye almost popped out!:crazyeyes: I know that they can give people adverse reactions, but I've had the oysters before. Not even raw on salads? Oysters? why not? (sorry if this is a stupid question.Dough!)

--------------------

Invisiblesparkle
Farmer
Female User Gallery

Loc: Philippines Flag
    #16042359 - 04/04/12 10:17 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

A day/night differential? By how many degrees please?

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

Re: Shroomsynergy's Edible Mushroom Cave [Re: sparkle]
    #16042380 - 04/04/12 10:20 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

between last night and today has been the most drastic differential so far. 63f at night, max 68f daytime.

Why do you ask? any help or good input/info is very much appreciated. Thanx for stopping in!

--------------------

Invisiblesparkle
Farmer
Female User Gallery

Loc: Philippines Flag
    #16042443 - 04/04/12 10:36 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Oh, I was referring to RR's advice...
Quote:

RR

I want to know how much differential is necessary for good oyster yields.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale