Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: ----------> Flag
Pinning in Jar before 100% Colonization. What to do?
    #16010241 - 03/28/12 06:48 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

As you can see there are lots of pins that are just getting bigger. It's not fully colonized. I've searched around this site and have come up with mixed results on what to do so I thought I'd ask here to see what the current consensus is. I've had one jar already do this (With only a few pins) but it was already 100% colonized so I let it consolidate for about 4 days or so, it's in the fruiting chamber. I am not sure what to do about this one. Thoughts please?

--------------------
Just let it all go..
Laugh at the world and be free,
Then Just breathe, Just breathe...
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!
:peace: :nyan: :peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Pinning in Jar before 100% Colonization. What to do? [Re: Blackd0ve420]
    #16010295 - 03/28/12 06:58 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Keeping your jars in the dark will  prevent this, but they also colonize slower in the dark so it's a trade off. I switch mine to the dark at some point after I see signs of germination  (in the case of MS). This is done at any point when I get the time, cause it's not the least bit pressing.

When my jars pin in vitro I just let the mushrooms grow until they are near maturity. Then I spawn the jar to bulk, even if a portion of the jar isn't colonized yet. Of course, when you do this, do not birth/spawn uncolonized substrate. Just mycelium. Not that it's a big deal tho.

The reason I spawn the jars before the mushrooms reach maturity is b/c I don't want spores all over the mycelium and I don't want the mushroom to overmature and be reconsumed by white mycelium. It probly doesn't matter though, I just like to keep things neat.

One of the big things about shroom growing is realizing what matters and what is relatively inconsequential. You of course don't wanna devote much research to minor issues. The more jars you have, the more you can experiment.

InvisibleFallenSpartan
His Dudeness

#16010303 - 03/28/12 06:59 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

I've had this problem before. It was due to it being to dry on the bottom because they were sitting on a heating pad and started to pin because they got a little too much sun. But as I understand it, contams could also cause this.

Check for sour smells, growth rate and also hard lines along the mycelium (like it hit a brick wall)..those would raise contam flags to me and I would most likely birth immediately and cut away the uncolonized area with a sterile knife.

Otherwise I'd let them continue to grow and fully colonize.

--------------------
*On this forum I act out the fictitious role of a mushroom enthusiast. All posts made by me on this forum are strictly for role playing & educational purposes only. All pictures were obtained from my pen pal in the British Virgin Islands where the cultivation of psilocybe cubensis is legal, openly on the internet without rights restrictions, or from other private forum boards with the authors permission.*

Offlineelkart
Mushroom Servant
Male

Re: Pinning in Jar before 100% Colonization. What to do? [Re: FallenSpartan]
    #16010319 - 03/28/12 07:02 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Next time, colonize in the dark

--------------------
Shroom Honey Preservation Tek

InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Pinning in Jar before 100% Colonization. What to do? [Re: FallenSpartan]
    #16010341 - 03/28/12 07:06 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Thanks for the input. I have two theories for why it happened. I don't think it is contam because I birthed the other cake that did this too and the smell was pure mushroom and no contams where visible.

I think

1. It was exposed to my 6500 Cfl lights which might have triggered it..

2. Because I retaped these after I inoculated perhaps the movement of when I picked them up and tilted them caused a shift in c02 levels resulting in pinning. (I knocked up 5 more jars with out retaping as an experiment)

I am not too worried about it, my only concern is some pins aborting and having rot inside of the jar while it is colonizing.

I guess I am trying to decide between
A. Just wait it out and let it fully colonize/consolidate and let the pins do their thing

B. Birth it and wash off or cut that uncolonized substrate then dunk/roll. (I guess pro to this is I'll have some baby magic mushrooms :laugh:

Edit: When they were colonizing I had them in my glove box which I wrapped all around with tin foil to block out light..I guess some light still got in but I was trying to keep them in the dark

--------------------
Just let it all go..
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!

Edited by Blackd0ve420 (03/28/12 07:07 PM)

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

#16010389 - 03/28/12 07:14 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

The reason it happened is b/c cubes fruit in response to light, you have an aggressively fruiting strain in those jars, and there is light in your room. Ambient sunlight could also do it.

I've had jars fruit in vitro that were never shaken or moved. The holes or hole that you have drilled in the lid apparently allows sufficient gas exchange for some strains.

I've let mushrooms sporulate and be re-covered my white mycelium in vitro and then spawned shortly thereafter with no detrimental effects. Aborts probly aren't gonna rot in vitro because there are no competing organisms and not enough O2.

For general practice, I would strongly steer you toward spawning to bulk vs. birthing a whole cake and casing it.

Once you're swimming in mushrooms, experiment w/ other fruiting methods just for shits and gigs. Monotubs are really where it's at and they are easy as pie.

InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Pinning in Jar before 100% Colonization. What to do? [Re: Capers]
    #16010446 - 03/28/12 07:24 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Hm interesting. I am using costa ricas for my first grow. Getting my feet wet with this method then I might research that monotub method.

I guess I'll continue to see how it continues to colonize.

--------------------
Just let it all go..
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

#16010523 - 03/28/12 07:41 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

When I say strain I don't mean commercial variety. I mean the hellaunique genetic combination between the spores that germinated. I'm no mycologist tho. I'm not saying costa rica is an aggressive fruiter. Just the strains in that particular jar.

Yea casing a cake is fine. I just think it takes the same amount of work and time as spawning to bulk and you get less yield. Really doesn't take much research. Get a clear plastic container, drill a few holes and fill w/ broken up colonized grain and coir or manure.

InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

#16016037 - 03/29/12 08:49 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Got a lot of people telling me to invitro grow this. What do you all more experienced growers think? Leaning towards dunking/rolling.

--------------------
Just let it all go..
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!

InvisibleRyeOverHarrde
Mountain Drunkard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Inland Northwest
    #16016065 - 03/29/12 08:56 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

I think in-vitro is your best bet.

If you dunk and roll that you must know that those fruit bodies are vulnerable to contamination. I don't know if this fact is applicable to your situation or not, but I recommend NOT exposing un-colonized substrate to open air and ESPECIALLY not water.... unless,,, perhaps,,,, it's distilled water in a semi-sterile environment. If you have such an environment then you MIGHT get some fruit..... but I doubt it.

*By semi-sterile environment I mean a room that is sealed from the outside environment with a controlled and filtered air circulation system and an antechamber on either side of the entrance.
Just because it's semi-sterile doesn't mean it's easy.

--------------------
Never be afraid to speak your mind, but always be willing and able to expand it.

It's hard to feel real gangster when you're always getting kissed.

InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Pinning in Jar before 100% Colonization. What to do? [Re: RyeOverHarrde]
    #16016079 - 03/29/12 08:58 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

If I was dunking/rolling I was planning on cutting with a sterlized knife/washing off the uncolonized part just FYI. I am pretty unfamilar with invitro grows soooo would I just continue to keep the lid closed and let it fruit? Or would I take the lid off and let it grow out?

--------------------
Just let it all go..
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!

InvisibleRyeOverHarrde
Mountain Drunkard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Inland Northwest
    #16016101 - 03/29/12 09:04 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Blackd0ve420 said:
If I was dunking/rolling I was planning on cutting with a sterlized knife/washing off the uncolonized part just FYI. I am pretty unfamilar with invitro grows soooo would I just continue to keep the lid closed and let it fruit? Or would I take the lid off and let it grow out?

Soldering off the uncolonized part would help, but not guarantee anything at all.

I've only ever seen fruits in a jar after I saw mold and threw the whole jar away. When I looked in the garbage a couple days later I saw fruits in my garbage jars........

Your situation is ODD to say the least.
I can't see how this happened to you unless there was a present contam or something else.......

--------------------
Never be afraid to speak your mind, but always be willing and able to expand it.

It's hard to feel real gangster when you're always getting kissed.

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

#16016137 - 03/29/12 09:13 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

I am an experienced grower. It's hellasimple dude. Just leave the jar alone until you are ready to birth/spawn it. Then pick whatever grew in vitro.

Contam's have nothing to do with it. Cubes will fruit in vitro if light is present. This is just an aggressive strain that fruited before the mycelium consumed the entire jar of substrate. It's not odd or unique.

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

#16016167 - 03/29/12 09:20 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

All in vitro means is within glass.

If you took the lid off the jar and let the shrooms grow out it would no longer be in vitro. It would be a glass tray within a fruiting chamber or a glass fruiting chamber in its own right, covered loosely with a plastic bag or dome.

But that is definitely a legitimate option.

My best advice tho: just leave the jar as is on your shelf until you get the time to fuck w/ it. Then just birth/spawn as per your original plan and cut away the uncolonized substrate w/ a sterile knife.

InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

#16017644 - 03/30/12 04:41 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

zappateer said:
All in vitro means is within glass.

If you took the lid off the jar and let the shrooms grow out it would no longer be in vitro. It would be a glass tray within a fruiting chamber or a glass fruiting chamber in its own right, covered loosely with a plastic bag or dome.

But that is definitely a legitimate option.

My best advice tho: just leave the jar as is on your shelf until you get the time to fuck w/ it. Then just birth/spawn as per your original plan and cut away the uncolonized substrate w/ a sterile knife.

Alright thanks for the info, very helpful. When I birth it should I also continue with the regular PF tech method of dunking/rolling as well? Or would dunking cause the pins/mini fruits to rot?

--------------------
Just let it all go..
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!

OfflineDJ_avocado
SardinoBambino
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hawai'i, USA Flag
    #16017687 - 03/30/12 05:06 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Maybe it is getting too much air.  How'd you make the lids exactly?

InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Pinning in Jar before 100% Colonization. What to do? [Re: DJ_avocado] * 1
    #16019002 - 03/30/12 12:23 PM (12 years, 1 day ago)

Lol if anything they're not getting enough air. I drilled 4 holes in them..nothing special honestly. After inoculation I retaped them with medical tape. Out of the 5 jars I had this one do its crazy early pinning, had the 2nd colonize in 3 weeks and do sort of what you see here but not nearly as aggressive (It's in the fruiting chamber now, pins forming), 3rd one started slow then rapid colonization with no pins in the jar, one jar showed no growth, 5th jar is still colonizing but doing fine.

--------------------
Just let it all go..
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

#16019774 - 03/30/12 03:34 PM (12 years, 1 day ago)

I would pick all the mushrooms before you dunk and roll. If not, I don't think they would rot, but some would probly break and they would impede the process of covering the entire cake with casing.

I think that's a half-pint jar you've got so you will get a fair amount of shrooms. Don't worry if you end up picking those first fruits before maturity. The cake will just use that energy to produce more shrooms.

InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

#16021839 - 03/30/12 10:37 PM (12 years, 1 day ago)

Yeah it's a half pint, almost used full pints but I was advised against it. Alright thanks for the info :thumbup:. I'll go ahead and pick them then. I wasn't sure if picking them at this stage would cause the cake to stunt its end fruiting yield.

Birthed it and cut out the mushies, was probably good thing I did like you said because they weren't attached on there too solid, they would have come off in water. I also cut off any uncolonized verm and proceeded to dunk.

Definitely got a fair amount I am happy :smile:. Behold the first mushies I have ever grown lawl :laugh: babies! I call them poppers :P

--------------------
Just let it all go..
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!

Edited by Blackd0ve420 (03/30/12 11:22 PM)

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

#16023467 - 03/31/12 10:29 AM (12 years, 23 hours ago)

Quote:

Blackd0ve420 said:
Yeah it's a half pint, almost used full pints but I was advised against it. Alright thanks for the info :thumbup:. I'll go ahead and pick them then. I wasn't sure if picking them at this stage would cause the cake to stunt its end fruiting yield.

Birthed it and cut out the mushies, was probably good thing I did like you said because they weren't attached on there too solid, they would have come off in water. I also cut off any uncolonized verm and proceeded to dunk.

Definitely got a fair amount I am happy :smile:. Behold the first mushies I have ever grown lawl :laugh: babies! I call them poppers :P

Lol, actually I thought it was a pint jar. I typed half-pint cause I had the wrong word in my head. Still tho, doesn't change my answer. I don't know why on earth you were advised against pint-jars...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck