Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBitis arietans
Fried

Loc: Western Cape province, So...
Mushroom cloud
    #16004830 - 03/27/12 05:43 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

http://www.newsreview.com/reno/mushroom-cloud/content?oid=5513515
22 March 2012

At 17, David Melendez is McQueen High School’s resident expert on magic mushrooms—and he is determined to make them legal. To Melendez, the classification of psilocybes is not only a needless restriction on a harmless substance, but also a roadblock to medical therapy.

Tell me a little bit about what you want to accomplish.

I feel like there are just so many negative connotations about drugs and the counterculture that it brings with it because there are so many manmade drugs out there. But psilocybin and mushrooms have been around for centuries. I just really think that if people look deeper into it and see what a profound experience it is and see how it can help [people], there would be a big change and people would understand a lot more about the world we live in and how we connect to other people.

Explain to me what exactly these mushrooms do.

Psilocybin is a chemical that’s found in certain types of mushrooms and those are known as “magic mushrooms.” Those give you a hallucinogenic trip. But, what most people find is that it’s more than just hallucinations. It’s a finding of yourself and an experience where you delve deeper into your person. I think that’s what people don’t see. They just see it as a drug.

What’s your argument for legalizing magic mushrooms?

Hallucinogenic mushrooms in the United States are completely illegal. I fight for the legalization of psilocybin for use with terminally ill cancer patients. What I see with a lot of terminally ill cancer patients is that they’re just flooded with an amount of opiates that people have prescribed to them. When I talk to people and they talk to me about drugs, I tell them like, with opiates, you can’t tell me every single step that was taken to make that pill and you don’t know what you’re putting into your body. You can name the name of it. Perhaps you might not even be able to pronounce it. I can tell you what process a mushroom’s been through from the vulva collapsing, to the gills coming down, and it’s all natural. I saw some interviews of a terminally ill cancer patient who they administered a dose of psilocybin to, and she said that she felt like she could breathe. She wasn’t muddled through all these opiates. I really feel like you can get into a sense of dependence and then depression when you’re on those pills. It’s like the most terrible way to leave this world. If you’re going to die, then why die dependent on a man-made drug? Psilocybin is not addictive at all and gives you a body high that would get a lot of cancer patients through the pain. It also helps the cancer patients come to terms with the passing through this world because you see interconnectedness in this world.

Are these mushrooms dangerous?

The number one danger is identifying it. For example, Amenita Muscaria, that like the toadstool that everyone sees in Mario, red with the white caps and everything, there’s 200 species of just that mushroom and only three of those are hallucinogenic, but most of them are deadly poisonous. Identifying is hard. The main problem would be that, it is a fungi, so if you’re not taking care of your body while you’re doing it, it can rip up your esophagus if you’re eating too much too soon.

What steps do you plan to take on the path to legalization?

First off, I need to inform people. What people need to see is what they’re doing with opiates that they’re making and giving to civilians. Look at the crime rate because of the drugs—people are high on narcotics that the government is making and giving to our people. But, you don’t see someone be violent on mushrooms. They don’t feel violent, they just want to love. It’s free love pretty much. We have to fight the government. We have to fight for more experimentation with all of it. I think that as a community we need to drop all preconceptions of the mushroom. We need to see that it will do a lot more good than what we’re doing right now, drugs wise.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMeteloides
Clinically Expressed

Re: Mushroom cloud [Re: Bitis arietans]
    #16004889 - 03/27/12 06:00 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

It's cool that he's doing this.

But the push for legalization of mushrooms can go fuck itself if they feel like they must continue to demonize synthetic drugs to make the natural ones look more desirable.

:shakefist:

--------------------
:smoking:

Offlinemarmarwoohoo
Male

Re: Mushroom cloud [Re: Meteloides]
    #16004945 - 03/27/12 06:12 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Meteloides said:

But the push for legalization of mushrooms can go fuck itself if they feel like they must continue to demonize synthetic drugs to make the natural ones look more desirable.

Come on dude, get off your high horse. Opiates fuck people up in more serious, societaly harmful ways. The "demonization" is an attempt to distinguish mushies from addictive drugs. I'm so proud of this kid. Mushrooms should be getting as much legalization attention as marijuana right now. The shift is happening

OfflineTHIHT

Re: Mushroom cloud [Re: marmarwoohoo] * 1
    #16004952 - 03/27/12 06:13 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

If it is illegal it will have a dangerous black market.  Legalize and regulate it all.

--------------------
meow

InvisibleMeteloides
Clinically Expressed

Re: Mushroom cloud [Re: marmarwoohoo] * 1
    #16005011 - 03/27/12 06:26 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

marmarwoohoo said:
Quote:

Meteloides said:

Come on dude, get off your high horse. Opiates fuck people up in more serious, societaly harmful ways. The "demonization" is an attempt to distinguish mushies from addictive drugs. I'm so proud of this kid. Mushrooms should be getting as much legalization attention as marijuana right now. The shift is happening

I'm not the one on the high horse here, though.
It's easy to pick on opiates when you're talking about mushrooms. Because you're comparing two things that are entirely dissimilar. One of them is incredibly valuable in the management of pain, and the other is mostly effective at eliminating death anxiety in terminal patients.

Quote:

When I talk to people and they talk to me about drugs, I tell them like, with opiates, you can’t tell me every single step that was taken to make that pill and you don’t know what you’re putting into your body. You can name the name of it. Perhaps you might not even be able to pronounce it. I can tell you what process a mushroom’s been through from the vulva collapsing, to the gills coming down

Just because I don't know all the steps in the synthesis of morphine, and this kid memorized the growth cycle of a fungus, that means Psilocybin is somehow safer? That's absurd.

Quote:

and it’s all natural.

Here is the classic "my drug is better than your drug because it grows in the ground" argument. Even if it's just implied here, it shows the way this kid thinks.

Quote:

I saw some interviews of a terminally ill cancer patient who they administered a dose of psilocybin to, and she said that she felt like she could breathe. She wasn’t muddled through all these opiates. I really feel like you can get into a sense of dependence and then depression when you’re on those pills.

Yes, Psilocybin is valuable at easing death anxiety. But that doesn't mean it does anything at relieving the sometimes all-consuming pain these patients experience.

Quote:

It’s like the most terrible way to leave this world.

Opinion. I think dying is made a lot worse when you are in excruciating pain.

Quote:

If you’re going to die, then why die dependent on a man-made drug?

Here is another example of the "naturals are better than synthetics" argument.
Also, why not die dependent on a man-made drug? Addiction is only a big deal because it's unsustainable and it makes it harder to function in society. If you only have a short amount of time left to live, why would you even be worrying about dependency? You're in a hospital. They have more than enough drugs to keep you good until you die.
Besides. Maybe these people are dependent on the drug because it's beats the alternative: terrible pain.

Quote:

Psilocybin is not addictive at all and gives you a body high that would get a lot of cancer patients through the pain. It also helps the cancer patients come to terms with the passing through this world because you see interconnectedness in this world.

Maybe. But did you really have to bash an entire useful class of drugs to be able to say this?

--------------------
:smoking:

InvisibleCelestial Traveler
Random Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Idaho
    #16005168 - 03/27/12 07:03 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Yes!!  I'm glad to hear that someone is talking SPECIFICALLY about the legalization of psilocybin mushrooms, even if it's just some random 17-year old high school kid. 

There are actually petitions on change.org to legalize shrooms too and NJWeedman was talking about it in  his campaign for NJ governor.

Nothing serious happening about it but it's looking like shrooms are next after marijuana.

--------------------
Funny Video              Pokemon But With Animals Instead              B

Offlinegrasschopper
Male

Loc: north
Re: Mushroom cloud [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #16005287 - 03/27/12 07:30 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

it's good that he is being noticed for what he is saying,
but i think it will be hard for people to take him seriously because he is so young. :sad:

InvisibleInvisible_Woe

Loc: Mabase
Re: Mushroom cloud [Re: grasschopper]
    #16005359 - 03/27/12 07:43 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

"Its all bullshit and its bad for you." - George Carlin

--------------------
These are not the answers you should be questioning.

Offlinesk8ordude
Stranger
Re: Mushroom cloud [Re: Invisible_Woe]
    #16006124 - 03/27/12 10:39 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

He just might be our Mushroom Messiah.

Edited by sk8ordude (03/27/12 10:40 PM)

InvisibleLSDylan
bass music enjoyer
Male

Loc: Michigan
    #16006170 - 03/27/12 10:50 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Meteloides said:
Quote:

marmarwoohoo said:
Quote:

Meteloides said:

I'm not the one on the high horse here, though.
It's easy to pick on opiates when you're talking about mushrooms. Because you're comparing two things that are entirely dissimilar. One of them is incredibly valuable in the management of pain, and the other is mostly effective at eliminating death anxiety in terminal patients.

Quote:

When I talk to people and they talk to me about drugs, I tell them like, with opiates, you can’t tell me every single step that was taken to make that pill and you don’t know what you’re putting into your body. You can name the name of it. Perhaps you might not even be able to pronounce it. I can tell you what process a mushroom’s been through from the vulva collapsing, to the gills coming down

Just because I don't know all the steps in the synthesis of morphine, and this kid memorized the growth cycle of a fungus, that means Psilocybin is somehow safer? That's absurd.

Quote:

and it’s all natural.

Here is the classic "my drug is better than your drug because it grows in the ground" argument. Even if it's just implied here, it shows the way this kid thinks.

Quote:

I saw some interviews of a terminally ill cancer patient who they administered a dose of psilocybin to, and she said that she felt like she could breathe. She wasn’t muddled through all these opiates. I really feel like you can get into a sense of dependence and then depression when you’re on those pills.

Yes, Psilocybin is valuable at easing death anxiety. But that doesn't mean it does anything at relieving the sometimes all-consuming pain these patients experience.

Quote:

It’s like the most terrible way to leave this world.

Opinion. I think dying is made a lot worse when you are in excruciating pain.

Quote:

If you’re going to die, then why die dependent on a man-made drug?

Here is another example of the "naturals are better than synthetics" argument.
Also, why not die dependent on a man-made drug? Addiction is only a big deal because it's unsustainable and it makes it harder to function in society. If you only have a short amount of time left to live, why would you even be worrying about dependency? You're in a hospital. They have more than enough drugs to keep you good until you die.
Besides. Maybe these people are dependent on the drug because it's beats the alternative: terrible pain.

Quote:

Psilocybin is not addictive at all and gives you a body high that would get a lot of cancer patients through the pain. It also helps the cancer patients come to terms with the passing through this world because you see interconnectedness in this world.

Maybe. But did you really have to bash an entire useful class of drugs to be able to say this?

I agree.

Yes mushrooms should be legal, but this is some ignorant 17 year old that has probably eaten mushrooms like four times.

--------------------
DanceSafe | Voluntaryism

Offlinesk8ordude
Stranger
Re: Mushroom cloud [Re: LSDylan]
    #16006268 - 03/27/12 11:14 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Surprising we arent hearing about him being punished for his opinions by the school.

Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Re: Mushroom cloud [Re: marmarwoohoo]
    #16006318 - 03/27/12 11:31 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

marmarwoohoo said:
Quote:

Meteloides said:

the problem is never the drug but how people use it. There are lots of 'retards' and 'assholes.' Which is always a problem man! If someone has a beer, it's not big deal, but when you have a bum walking up and down the street with a vodka bottle in a brown paper bag saying shit to everyone he walks by, society sees it and says DUI THE SHIT OUT OF PEOPLE, CURFEW CERTAIN CITIES ETC. ETC.

Now A mushroom is often a very light experience, except for the 20 minutes someone realises they are tripping balls, and think that they will be tripping balls harder then ever forever. But one? Unless it's a whole Cubensis(whoo I've been there, one time while driving, holy shit one can get as big as a whole bag of stems.) Anyway unless it's a whole shroom the size of your arm, one shroom will generally give someone a mild experience, and possibly for a short time eye open them to how extreme of a drug it can be. It's NOT that serious

what it is, is when have a guy with a heroin needle in his arm, or people at woodstock tripping and at the same time fucking in front of everyone, with a sheet licked and attached to their back, then freaking out for two days because they can't spell their name without the words turning into 'other people from past lifetimes shooting into the future of infinite space and reforming itself into the tiny place in your mind that contains your sense of being'

or some crap. Or people taking that, and xanax, and valuum, and oxycodone, and walking up streets with drugs in their backback flipping off cops because they are too high to give a shit, it becomes insane. I mean extreme scenarios? Maybe. But ask yourself, would people be able to handle this if it was legal? No, but then people can't handle alcohol. The perception becomes real severe to people clearly, when incidents happen in their community, that destroy things, and they are responsible for feeling like the government, including police, should do something, to enforce safety.

Now I understand to some people this is more extreme. To some people it should be none of their business. But people are always going to question SAFETY. And to them, alcohol is a drug that is consumed at the dinner table, and people take it out of hand outside of that environment. But mushrooms will never ever be a drug that is consumed at the dinner table, and taken out of hand outside of the environment. It is a recreational drug, as xanax would be, but cannot be prescribed the way xanax can be. Although some people question using it for therapeutic purposes to open up feelings deeper within a person. But in terms of completely legal, no I don't feel it will ever be accepted at the dinner table, not even pot would be accepted at the dinner table. However medically pot is a big hit, considering how much it helps patients eat, sleep, avoid depression. Not something that could be used during surgery, clearly. Won't incapacitate someone, but will ease the burden of a slow painful process.

Now on the other hand, it is unwise to charge someone with possession of a drug that grows on the side of the road. Now a marijuana plant grows on the side of the road, but it's hard to justify having it trimmed, with lights, fertiliser, and say it was an accident :lol:
mushrooms however, well I guess they must be grown somewhere, but honestly you go to a cow field, they grow out of the dirt if cow manure was previously there, dry up into tiny pieces, and are not really distributed because of the perishable nature of the product in large kilos, shipped in cars, start drug gang violence, etc.

kind of weird to make them illegal, but allow belladonna trees to grow, even though people die from belladonna flowers. I mean insanity at it's finest, make much sense? It almost randomly gets you high, considering some people don't find hallucinating an effect but a poisonous process associated with a side effect.

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
    #16006336 - 03/27/12 11:37 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Meteloides said:

Honestly? You think morphine is safer? A person taking it for the first time can kill them self with a small dose, the fact it happens rarely is amazing. Mushrooms are impossible to kill yourself with. Almost semi permanent insanity? Possibly. Death? Sure, with a poisonous picked one. Why are poisonous mushrooms not illegal? Because they can't be sold? Ridiculous.

Goes to show what drug laws are made of. hipocracy. I guess owning poisonous shrooms wouldn't be illegal since you are just going to kill yourself and not get high :rolleyes:

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

OfflineeaSe
E@Se
Male

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Mushroom cloud [Re: imachavel]
    #16006428 - 03/28/12 12:11 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

I love opiates! If i get cancer and am on my death bed I will be flying high on opies! Keep up'ing the dose doc!!!!

Dont get me wrong, I love mushrooms. I try to enjoy at least 4 or 5 trips a year to help keep my mind in check, but opiates are f'in awesome.

BTW opiates come from a natural source called poppies (papaver somniferum and others). Yes theyre synthed but only because the amount of poppies one would need to injest for appropriate pain relief is massive.

All i know is that if im terminal and dying (god forbid), Ill be getting multiple scrips for pain meds, and Im crusing into the afterlife nodding out in my wheelchair!

--------------------
"Man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what?
For some pimpily little puke! To treat you like dirt! unless youre on a teeeam! Well I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt...That stuffs loaded with nutrients, I can't compete with that stuff."

InvisibleCelestial Traveler
Random Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Idaho
Re: Mushroom cloud [Re: eaSe]
    #16006518 - 03/28/12 12:38 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Still mushrooms are non-addictive, have never led to a documented fatal overdose, and they don't lead to long-term decreases in testosterone, disable the body's ability to create it's own painkilling hormones, blah blah blah you get the picture.

Not dissing opiates, I like them and they have their medical uses but let's face it mushrooms are safer recreationally.

That doesn't mean the legalization of mushrooms should come at the price of demonizing opiates.

Then again that's the only way any drug will ever become legal, by making the other ones look worse by comparison, even with marijuana.  You know how the game works.

--------------------
Funny Video              Pokemon But With Animals Instead              B

OfflineSharpstuff

Loc: Australia Flag
Re: Mushroom cloud [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #16006929 - 03/28/12 03:56 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Surprise theirs no mention of other psychadellics.

LSD all the way :awehigh:

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Mushroom cloud [Re: Bitis arietans]
    #16007111 - 03/28/12 06:34 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Bitis arietans said:

The number one danger is identifying it. For example, Amenita Muscaria, that like the toadstool that everyone sees in Mario, red with the white caps and everything, there’s 200 species of just that mushroom and only three of those are hallucinogenic, but most of them are deadly poisonous. Identifying is hard. The main problem would be that, it is a fungi, so if you’re not taking care of your body while you’re doing it, it can rip up your esophagus if you’re eating too much too soon.

Either the reporter misquoted this kid horribly, or he doesn't know much about mushrooms.

He can't spell Amanita, muscaria should not be capitalized, there are not 200 species of A. muscaria, more like 5, and none of them are deadly poisonous.  It can not rip up your esophagus.

Offlineegodeathflux
Guttersnipe
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Stygian Pits Flag
Re: Mushroom cloud [Re: eaSe]
    #16007339 - 03/28/12 07:59 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

eaSe said:
I love opiates! If i get cancer and am on my death bed I will be flying high on opies! Keep up'ing the dose doc!!!!

Dont get me wrong, I love mushrooms. I try to enjoy at least 4 or 5 trips a year to help keep my mind in check, but opiates are f'in awesome.

BTW opiates come from a natural source called poppies (papaver somniferum and others). Yes theyre synthed but only because the amount of poppies one would need to injest for appropriate pain relief is massive.

All i know is that if im terminal and dying (god forbid), Ill be getting multiple scrips for pain meds, and Im crusing into the afterlife nodding out in my wheelchair!

Morphine is a natural alkaloid, it does not need to be synthesised, merely extracted, it is present in raw opium/latex.

:themoreyouknow:

--------------------

"Atrophic interludes weave through my life far too often, for me to fight the biggest enemies"

"Standing on the corner of 5th and Vermouth"

Invisiblemaug
 User Gallery

Loc: inside you
Re: Mushroom cloud [Re: egodeathflux]
    #16008374 - 03/28/12 12:00 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

The argument shouldn't be that one drug is safer than another. That's a red herring. The argument should be politicians are not medical doctors (except Ron Paul =P). If they can make botulism medicinal, then there's no reason not to open all other chemicals and plants to scientific study.

One of the phrases I kept on hearing repeatedly when reading the scientific journals and papers on LSD and MDMA from psychedelic therapy of the 1960's and 70's was "directly address." As far as I know, psychedelics and MDMA are still the only way that therapists can directly address psychological issues like trauma, ptsd, manias, ethics, and addiction.

The kid didn't know his mushrooms, but at least he mentioned the medicinal value. Imo the research on it can speak for itself.

--------------------
I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction. -Calvin and Hobbes

OfflineMushyMatt
LSD-25
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under a Mushroom
Re: Mushroom cloud [Re: maug]
    #16014562 - 03/29/12 04:21 PM (12 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Da fuck is he talking about?

--------------------
Reborn - 6/08/13

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate