Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleK1ngSp4de
CHUT UP!!!
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Outrageous Lies Monsanto and Friends Are Trying to Pass off to Kids as Science
    #15981103 - 03/22/12 12:30 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

http://www.alternet.org/food/154602/outrageous_lies_monsanto_and_friends_are_trying_to_pass_off_to_kids_as_science?page=entire

March 20, 2012

It's not enough that the biotech industry -- led by multinational corporations such as Monsanto, Dow, Syngenta, BAS, and Dupont -- is poisoning our food and our planet. It's also poisoning young minds.

In a blatant attempt at brainwashing, the Council for Biotechnology Information (CBI) has widely circulated what it calls a Biotechnology Basics Activity Book for kids, to be used by "Agriculture and Science Teachers." The book -- called Look Closer at Biotechnology -- looks like a science workbook, but reads more like a fairy tale. Available on the council's Web site, its colorful pages are full of friendly cartoon faces, puzzles, helpful hints for teachers -- and a heavy dose of outright lies about the likely effects of genetic engineering on health, the environment, world hunger and the future of farming.

CBI's lies are designed specifically for children, and intended for use in classrooms.

At a critical time in history when our planet is veering toward a meltdown, when our youth are suffering the health consequences (obesity, diabetes, allergies) of Big Ag and Food Inc.'s over-processed, fat-and sugar-laden, chemical-, and GMO-tainted foods, a time when we should be educating tomorrow's adults about how to reverse climate change, how to create sustainable farming communities, how to promote better nutrition, the biotech industry's propagandists are infiltrating classrooms with misinformation in the guise of "educational" materials.

Brainwashing children. It's a new low, even for Monsanto.

You don't have to read beyond the first page of Look Closer at Biotechnology to realize that this is pure propaganda:

Hi Kids! Welcome to the Biotechnology Basics Activity Book. This is an activity book for young people like you about biotechnology -- a really neat topic. Why is it such a neat topic? Because biotechnology is helping to improve the health of the Earth and the people who call it home. In this book, you will take a closer look at biotechnology. You will see that biotechnology is being used to figure out how to: 1) grow more food; 2) help the environment; and 3) grow more nutritious food that improves our health. As you work through the puzzles in this book, you will learn more about biotechnology and all of the wonderful ways it can help people live better lives in a healthier world. Have fun!
Before we take a closer look at the lies laid out in Look Closer at Biotechnology -- lies that are repeated over and over again, the better to imprint them on young minds -- let's take a closer look at the book's publisher. The Council for Biotechnology Information describes itself  as "a non-profit 501(c)(6) organization that communicates science-based information about the benefits and safety of agricultural biotechnology and its contributions to sustainable development."

According to the Internal Revenue Service, a 501(c)(6) organization is a "business league" devoted to the improvement of business conditions of one or more lines of business. The mission of a 501(c)(6) organization "must focus on the advancement of the conditions of a particular trade or the interests of the community."

The bottom line is that CBI exists to advance the interests of the corporations that it was formed to promote -- in this case, the biotech industry. While it purports to communicate "science-based information," in fact, that's not its mission at all. Its mission is to maximize the profits of Monsanto and the biotech industry.

Not surprisingly, CBI is funded largely by the biotech, chemical, pesticide, and seed industry giants: BASF, Bayer CropScience, Dow Agro Sciences, Dupont, Monsanto, and Syngenta.

There's nothing new about corporations lying to the public. Corporations routinely lie to their employees. They lie in advertising. They lie in the lopsided so-called studies and research projects that they self-fund in order to guarantee the outcomes that support their often false, but self-serving premises. They buy off politicians, regulatory officials, scientists, and the media.

Although here we're focusing on the biotech industry trying to brainwash our kids, CBI certainly does not limit its propaganda to just children. CBI recently contributed $375,000 to the Coalition Against the Costly Labeling Law -- a Sacramento-based industry front group working to defeat the California Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act of 2012. If passed in November, this citizens' ballot Initiative will require food manufacturers and retailers to label foods containing genetically engineered ingredients, as well as ban the routine industry practice of labeling or advertising GE-tainted foods as "natural" or "all natural." CBI, the Farm Bureau, and the Grocery Manufacturers Association are campaigning furiously to preserve their "right" to keep consumers in the dark about whether their food has been genetically engineered or not, and to preserve their "right" to mislabel gene-altered foods as "natural."

Clearly, the Council for Biotechnology Information has little or no regard for "science-based" information. But lies aimed directly at kids -- under the guise of science education? In our schools? (continued in link above)

--------------------
                                    PC Repair and Troubleshooting Forum

If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.
                                                - Thomas Jefferson

Si peccasse negamus fallimur et nulla est in nobis veritas.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Outrageous Lies Monsanto and Friends Are Trying to Pass off to Kids as Science [Re: K1ngSp4de] * 4
    #15981135 - 03/22/12 12:37 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Oh, so they're like World Civilization and American History books.

This is so sad and yet another reason why my children will be home-schooled.

I'd rather 1) do it myself or 2) hire one multi-disciplinary teacher instead of forcing my children into an ideological state apparatus.

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: Outrageous Lies Monsanto and Friends Are Trying to Pass off to Kids as Science [Re: Adden] * 5
    #15981170 - 03/22/12 12:47 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Wow...that story isn't slanted at all.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineConstantine
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm a teapot

Re: Outrageous Lies Monsanto and Friends Are Trying to Pass off to Kids as Science [Re: Enlil]
    #15981212 - 03/22/12 12:57 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Source : Alternet

.. :smirk:

--------------------

InvisibleK1ngSp4de
CHUT UP!!!

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Outrageous Lies Monsanto and Friends Are Trying to Pass off to Kids as Science [Re: Constantine]
    #15981245 - 03/22/12 01:04 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:

When you actually look into what these companies do it may be slanted but it's far closer to the truth than what any of them would say against it. I don't think that big companies should even have access to print our children's textbooks. If you don't believe the article you should go on a strict GM food diet and see what happens bro.

--------------------

If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.
                                                - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Outrageous Lies Monsanto and Friends Are Trying to Pass off to Kids as Science [Re: K1ngSp4de] * 2
    #15981340 - 03/22/12 01:26 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

That article used the word "lie" 9 times, but failed to point out any of the lies.

The closest they come is quoting from the book.  "1) grow more food; 2) help the environment; and 3) grow more nutritious food that improves our health"  Strictly speaking, that isn't a lie.  Biotech can help people achieve those goals.

I see some propaganda here, but no lies.

Offlinecrimsondrac
Stranger
Re: Outrageous Lies Monsanto and Friends Are Trying to Pass off to Kids as Science [Re: K1ngSp4de] * 1
    #15981342 - 03/22/12 01:26 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Indoctrinate the children.  It is what religion has been doing for thousands of years. Worked for them.

Offlinesonamdrukpa
Wayfarer

Re: Outrageous Lies Monsanto and Friends Are Trying to Pass off to Kids as Science [Re: K1ngSp4de] * 1
    #15981343 - 03/22/12 01:27 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

K1ngSp4de said:
Quote:

Enlil said:

When you actually look into what these companies do it may be slanted but it's far closer to the truth than what any of them would say against it. I don't think that big companies should even have access to print our children's textbooks. If you don't believe the article you should go on a strict GM food diet and see what happens bro.

It isn't a textbook.  It's a workbook - kids aren't being forced to read this.

If you're looking for propaganda, look no further than the editorial itself - its entire argument consists of ad hominem claims of bias based solely on the fact that the book is produce by GM companies.  How about some evidence that any of the claims the book puts out are false?  The fact that GM plants make more food is unimpeachable, and the claims that GM food is better for the environment and contains more nutrients seem at least plausible, given that that's what they're engineering the crops to do.

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15981368 - 03/22/12 01:32 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

K1ngSp4de said:
Quote:

Enlil said:

Yeah...I did that for awhile and didn't notice any difference...Couldn't really find any studies that showed any adverse health effects of GM food either...

I'm not a scientist, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus at all that GM food is bad for you...

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinesonamdrukpa
Wayfarer

Re: Outrageous Lies Monsanto and Friends Are Trying to Pass off to Kids as Science [Re: Enlil]
    #15981421 - 03/22/12 01:42 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

I was under the impression that most everything we eat in the US at least has GM products in it, no?

--------------------

InvisibleK1ngSp4de
CHUT UP!!!

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Outrageous Lies Monsanto and Friends Are Trying to Pass off to Kids as Science [Re: Alan Rockefeller] * 2
    #15981429 - 03/22/12 01:43 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

If you read the total article it explains how those things are explicitly false, studies in lab mice have shown kidney failure which puts out our health. Even the USDA says that these crops use more pesticides SINCE the crops are engineered to be coupled with them, where does the pesticide go, into the ground and eventually reaches water somewhere. which is a point off for "helps the environment" and "improving our health". Furthermore if you've ever had to fight spider mites you will find that you can't use the same pesticide over and over the bugs build tolerance and will find a way to eat your shit anyways, same with round-up ready crops. Finally "grow more food"? The article states that studies have been conducted in India that shows not only do they not grow more but may be close to inferior in yield. These people are the same ones that will sell your neighbor seed and when your crop becomes pollinated from the wind, they will use their unlimited amount of money and lawyers to sue you for patent infringement.

--------------------

- Thomas Jefferson

Edited by K1ngSp4de (03/22/12 01:43 PM)

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Outrageous Lies Monsanto and Friends Are Trying to Pass off to Kids as Science [Re: sonamdrukpa]
    #15981430 - 03/22/12 01:44 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

sonamdrukpa said:
I was under the impression that most everything we eat in the US at least has GM products in it, no?

I thought so, too...even most organic stuff is GM..

And if it doesn't produce higher yield, then why would farmers use it?  It seems that they'd make more money in crops that produce higher yield.

InvisibleK1ngSp4de
CHUT UP!!!

Folding@home Statistics
    #15981448 - 03/22/12 01:46 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

sonamdrukpa said:

I buy organic or grow all my produce, avoid McDonalds and fast food as much as possible.
Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

sonamdrukpa said:

I thought so, too...even most organic stuff is GM..

LMAO if its labeled organic it means that the US has strict regulations that the crop can't be GM.

--------------------

- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15981474 - 03/22/12 01:51 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

K1ngSp4de said:
LMAO if its labeled organic it means that the US has strict regulations that the crop can't be GM.

That's not true, kiddo..Organic only means that no pesticides were used...has nothing to do with GM

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinetobeacagefighter
Stranger
Re: Outrageous Lies Monsanto and Friends Are Trying to Pass off to Kids as Science [Re: Enlil] * 4
    #15981491 - 03/22/12 01:54 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

They're not engineering crops to have more nutrients. Please provide an example of a company doing this. Although theoretically possible, it is not what is being done. The concerns are entirely commercial, such as shelf-life, ripening, resistance to common pests, etc. and none of it is great for the environment. For example, "Roundup Ready" crops by Monsanto are made to tolerate glyphosate, which is not good for the environment. One could argue that canola's GM was a good thing, I suppose, but I still think it is much better to eat grass fed meat and get essential fatty acids in that manner. There are too many variables to account for and study to justify the widespread use of these chemicals in our food. Buy organic, support organic farmers, you will improve the community around you and avoid these unnecessary risks, and eventually prices will be competitive. The only reason we are promoting something like this is because of our societal delusion that we are separate from nature, and because of supply and demand manipulated by greed which has forced smaller farmers out of business. I'm not saying GM is inherently bad or wrong, but it is something that must be studied very intensely for a long period of time before releasing it into the environment.

OfflineOdd_Nonposter
Unrecognizable
Male

Loc: Ohio Flag
Re: Outrageous Lies Monsanto and Friends Are Trying to Pass off to Kids as Science [Re: sonamdrukpa]
    #15981504 - 03/22/12 01:57 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

First of all, this doesn't qualify as SNS material. SNS is for drug-related news.

Second, the article is continued in the OP's link, where the article elaborates on its claims. I haven't read them quite yet, but I'd suggest that anyone that wants to debate the article's merits please read all of it.
(OP, next time, please post articles in full. Other boards may do it differently, but copyright law can go screw itself around these parts.)

Third, I'll have to tear this one apart. Virtually no one here ever tries to represent biotech & "big ag's" side of the story.

OfflineImFauxreal
Out there with the Truth

Re: Outrageous Lies Monsanto and Friends Are Trying to Pass off to Kids as Science [Re: Enlil] * 1
    #15981506 - 03/22/12 01:57 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

K1ngSp4de said:

That's not true, kiddo..Organic only means that no pesticides were used...has nothing to do with GM

Lol speaking of propaganda...looks like school children aren't the only victims. But you should know better.

InvisibleK1ngSp4de
CHUT UP!!!

Folding@home Statistics
    #15981523 - 03/22/12 02:00 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Sorry I knew that it wasn't drug related but I thought it was controversial and some on here would be interested.
Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

K1ngSp4de said:

Okay I'll give you that one because I haven't read enough about it BUT I do know that to be marketed as heirloom vegetables it can't be GM. Anyways most GM crops are engineered to use pesticides such as Round-up ready soy bean or there are the ones they engineer to metabolize pesticides in every cell such as BT corn.

--------------------

- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Outrageous Lies Monsanto and Friends Are Trying to Pass off to Kids as Science [Re: ImFauxreal]
    #15981535 - 03/22/12 02:02 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

ImFauxreal said:
Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

K1ngSp4de said:

Lol speaking of propaganda...looks like school children aren't the only victims. But you should know better.

I don't see anything in this that says that GMOs can't be certified organic...do you?

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3004446&acct=nopgeninfo

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Outrageous Lies Monsanto and Friends Are Trying to Pass off to Kids as Science [Re: tobeacagefighter] * 2
    #15981572 - 03/22/12 02:11 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
I'm not a scientist, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus at all that GM food is bad for you...

GM food is not bad for you.  There are other problems with it, but unhealthy food is not one of those problems.  The main issues, as I see it, are cross-polination with non-gmo crops, leading to lawsuits from GM companies, and GM herbicide tolerance, so they can use more herbicides and only kill weeds.

Quote:

sonamdrukpa said:

People have been genetically modifying food crops for hundreds of years by selective breeding.  Only recently have we been able to actually modify the DNA in the lab.  None of this is inherently bad - the bad stuff comes in with terminator seeds and huge evil corporations trying to monopolize the seed supply. 

Quote:

K1ngSp4de said:
If you read the total article it explains how those things are explicitly false

Which GMO crops cause kidney failure in mice?  Why would they do that?

Quote:

Even the USDA says that these crops use more pesticides SINCE the crops are engineered to be coupled with them, where does the pesticide go, into the ground and eventually reaches water somewhere.

Correct, that is a real problem.

Quote:

which is a point off for "helps the environment" and "improving our health".

Just because GM foods could "help the environement" or "improve our health" doesn't mean that they always do.  Usually people modify food crops to be less tasty and wholesome, but keep for longer so they don't have so much rot before it can be sold.  Its bad for the consumer but good for the food sellers.

Quote:

Finally "grow more food"? The article states that studies have been conducted in India that shows not only do they not grow more but may be close to inferior in yield.

It is possible to genetically modify plants to produce more food.  The easiest way to do it is to collect seeds from plants that produce more than usual, and keep breeding those plants with other plants who also produce more food than usual.

Quote:

These people are the same ones that will sell your neighbor seed and when your crop becomes pollinated from the wind, they will use their unlimited amount of money and lawyers to sue you for patent infringement.

Yes, they totally do that.  Its one of the worst things about genetically modified plants.

Quote:

tobeacagefighter said:
They're not engineering crops to have more nutrients. Please provide an example of a company doing this.

They do that because foods with higher nutritional content can be sold at a premium.

A good example is high lycopene tomatoes.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds