Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: drSE]
    #15649323 - 01/11/12 09:39 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

theoretically it's constant that doubling the power gains you 3db. Did you read that link in my last post? interesting stuff in there, like if you move back anther meter, you lose 3 db, if you add another speaker you gain 3db(assuming your amp can handle the impedance) ect. good stuff

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: United States
Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: SomeGuy]
    #15649440 - 01/11/12 10:13 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I plan on reading think when i get some free time. Right now i'm trying to program a new cash register for the bar without a manual >.< Sounds like a good read.  I haven't dabbled in the stereo field in awhile but I used to be a Pro-Installer for a place called Pro Auto Sound and Security.  Used to have a good solid background in Electrical Theory (degree to prove it) but its been so many years since i used that knowledge.  Almost like I never learned it lol.

Also, you Impedance is a massive issue you have to pay attention too when (i hate when i see people do this) Bridging (<--) your amps and other areas of your layout when running your setup in parallel.

My latest run into this was with Volume Controllers in a house breaking the system down to 1ohm on a non-1ohm stable amp.

Point of this story? Don't Bridge your amp, if its 1 ohm stable its probably a mono-block.  Odds are its not 1 ohm stable and you will cook your hardware on any given hot summer day.

Now back to whatever the OP was talking about again \m/ >.< \m/

p.s. this thread is starting to get off topic a little.

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: GabbaDj]
    #15958238 - 03/17/12 01:26 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Adding ear level tweeters wont do much because high notes make up a minor part of the music spectrum in general.  What type of music are you listening to most?

I added two 7/8" Pioneer tweeters (~$30 a pair) on the front door sail(?). They have a simple inline crossover (capacitor?). I soldered the wires in parallel with the front door speakers and used a pre-existing hole to mount them. They look like they belong there and are about neck level.

I did one first and listened to 6 kinds of music. I turned the rears off and set the balance full right and full left for each type of music. The difference was subtle, but amazing. After intalling both, I repeated the experiment doing full fade front to rear. No comparison. It now sounds open and I can hear hi-hats, snares and subtle guitar harmonics that were muffled before.

I am very pleased at the overall balance without a control. I was afraid the tweets might be overpoweringly shrill and tinny, or too underpowered to notice. Sounds so good (for what I am looking for) that I will probably keep my stock head unit. The only thing missing is a bit of bass punch.

One more question: the internal grills have a lot of interfering plastic which must reflect the sound to some degree plus the door panel itself has its own exterior speaker grill. I left one off and one on. Am not sure if I can hear the difference, but the one speaker seems safe enough from damage without the internal thick plastic grill speaker. Any thoughts one way or the other?

--------------------

InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #15966528 - 03/19/12 08:54 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

it wouldn't matter one way or another really. at least not to your ears.  If you wan't more bass depth out of the door speakers look for plastic/foam Baffles to put in behind them.  they are like little boxes for your speakers that fit inside your door causing bass resonance to occur.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#15969357 - 03/19/12 09:00 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

I have seen those. Are they noticably different on small woofers? Have you tried them?

--------------------

InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15970913 - 03/20/12 08:58 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

I find that the foam or hard plastic baffles make a noticeable difference.  Gets rid of that hollow port sound when you hit a dead bass beat.  They make a cheesy thin plastic one too that just makes it sound worse also.  In all new vehicles the door speakers come housed in a hard plastic baffle now.  You can definitely tell the difference from new car with baffles vs. old ones.  :awesomenod:

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#15971029 - 03/20/12 09:34 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

I went to Crutchfield and half the reviewers found poor fit or worse sound with those preformed baffles. Think I will leave them as is.

--------------------

OfflineSomeGuy
Male User Gallery

#15971073 - 03/20/12 09:52 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

here's the thing, door speakers are usually small, so they suck at playing bass anyway :shrug: Even 6 1/2s (6 3/4)can't play the lowest notes as well as a real subwoofer, so you might as well use a crossover if you have a subwoofer. Putting in a baffle just makes the area behind the speaker smaller, which kills the bass even more, if you simply must play bass through your door speakers, get some "dyna-mat" asphalt based acoustic insulation, and put it on the metal frame of the door, don't cut any holes in it (except where you have to) and put the door panel back over the top

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: GabbaDj]
    #15971308 - 03/20/12 10:57 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

GabbaDj said:
Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

unknown1123 said:
upgrade your head unit. If it's stock and has something to do with audio in your car, it is shit.

Amazingly, if I add an expensive amp and a new head unit, my front sepakers will still be placed too low in the door and have no highs. The non-existent highs will now be louder and crisper.

Your "non-existent" highs are because you bought Pioneer.  Pioneer just makes poor speakers.

Thankyou! I'm glad someone else agrees with me on this. I've heard pioneer speakers, and I always just thought it was my personal preference. I don't know much about car stero's (still managed to swap out the duff radio that came with my mate's Nissan Micra K12 for a philips unit of some sort) and haven't done much research in them.

Now, apart from it being bulky and ungainly (and that a car is not a good sound stage) I'd quite like to have the Mission 760i's with their cabinets.

Actually I don't see this as being a problem for the back. A friend of mine in his old ford fiesta had TEAC LSX8's in the rear and even without the subwoofer those had plenty of noise and didn't get distorted with this 4x45w amplifer/cd player they were hooked into. We tried it without the front speakers (whatever ford puts in them) and it sounded leaps and bounds better.

Alas, those aforementioned speakers are hard to come by today, and really this could go into another thread but I'd like to see a thread about the use of hi-fi speakers in a car, taking into consideration that the cabinet will be either nothing (speakers mounted into the boot) or a metal and plastic door. Ideally, you'd want some tweeters at shoulder level (or ear level if you're short/you have tweets in your pillars) but the sound quality of all rounder speakers is not atrocious.

--------------------

InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #15971341 - 03/20/12 11:07 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

^^ I also agree.  I don't like there Head Units either.  Just a lot of fluff like windows >.<

OfflineSomeGuy
Male User Gallery

#15971385 - 03/20/12 11:20 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

the problem with pioneer is they refuse to rate their stuff like everyone else does. They won't list the -3db of a woofer(=f3) they list all of theirs @ -10db which makes like it plays a lot lower than it really does. On the head units, they rate the output wattage @ 1% thd and everyone else is rating theirs @.1%. :mad2:

Invisiblefunkyfish77
out
 User Gallery

Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: SomeGuy]
    #16033030 - 04/02/12 10:24 AM (12 years, 17 days ago)

Yeah pioneer is known for using cheap pre amps in there head units. Harmonic distortion is the
Main killer of sound quality.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss
3,346 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 15 queries.