Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ∞
joining a local mycological club
    #15951551 - 03/15/12 03:47 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

What are your experiences with this?

I've been hunting edibles for a while in Michigan (Morchella sp., Laetiporus Sulphureus, Grifola Frondosa, Coprinus Comatus, etc.). I've cultivated various species. I've been around this site for a while now which has taken my obsession to new levels. I'm trying to get a local edible market going and am returning more and more to the shroomery, as it's been home to me for a few years now.  I also feel a club may be the next step for me.

I'm considering joining after reaching about halfway into Eugenia Bone's 'Mycophilia', but I wanted to hear some of your opinions and experiences, I've learned so much from you all and value your input. My local club also offer a 'discounted' membership to the North American Mycological Association which I also am interested in experiences with..

I'm not sure if this was quite the appropriate forum, but i figured it was close enough as many clubs do multiple forays a year as well IDing for local hospitals and whatnot. It seems certain to improve not only my harvest and technique, but also versatility as well as expand my knowledge of cultivation furthur, mychorhizzal relationships to plants, etc...

What should i expect?

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫
lyrics from: Transglobal Underground - Eyeway Souljah (from Psychic Karaoke)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGravija
Make way for the cavalcade
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: joining a local mycological club [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #15951666 - 03/15/12 04:09 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

I'm interested in hearing others responses . I will be joining my local club this year as well. One of the benefits you didn't mention, cosmicfunguy, is the opportunity to attend lectures by published mycologists of great renown!

--------------------
Listen to my music

Here

OfflineOOOG
Stranger

Re: joining a local mycological club [Re: Gravija]
    #15951686 - 03/15/12 04:13 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

I say go for it.

Offlinewintersbefore
Trust me I'm a mycologist
Female User Gallery

Loc: Vonore, TN
Trusted Identifier
Re: joining a local mycological club [Re: OOOG]
    #15952008 - 03/15/12 05:18 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

I just joined the Asheville Mushroom Club... well actually I sent my 25 bucks and haven't heard back yet... but I'm sure I will shortly. I've heard they are a fairly active club and it will be neat to meet some new people...

Invisiblejboredone
Money-The root of all evil....
 User Gallery

Re: joining a local mycological club [Re: wintersbefore]
    #15952022 - 03/15/12 05:21 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

:nothingtoadd: thought it said you were joining a motorcycle club.....

--------------------
Peace Pot Micro-Dot God Loves You High or Not!!!
In order to grow old and wise, you must once have been young and dumb!

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Re: joining a local mycological club [Re: jboredone]
    #15952263 - 03/15/12 06:11 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

I enjoy our local puget sound group. Interesting set of people... Very

Joining any group can be tricky, tend to be a bit of old verses new... Depends on how social you are and the other members...

But good chance to learn in my opinion... I recommend it, not very expensive really

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

OfflineFungi01
John Plischke
Male User Gallery

Loc: Western Pennsylvania
Trusted Identifier
Re: joining a local mycological club [Re: CosmicFunGuy] * 1
    #15952557 - 03/15/12 07:32 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

CosmicFunGuy said:
What are your experiences with this?

I've been hunting edibles for a while in Michigan (Morchella sp., Laetiporus Sulphureus, Grifola Frondosa, Coprinus Comatus, etc.). I've cultivated various species. I've been around this site for a while now which has taken my obsession to new levels. I'm trying to get a local edible market going and am returning more and more to the shroomery, as it's been home to me for a few years now.  I also feel a club may be the next step for me.

I'm considering joining after reaching about halfway into Eugenia Bone's 'Mycophilia', but I wanted to hear some of your opinions and experiences, I've learned so much from you all and value your input. My local club also offer a 'discounted' membership to the North American Mycological Association which I also am interested in experiences with..

I'm not sure if this was quite the appropriate forum, but i figured it was close enough as many clubs do multiple forays a year as well IDing for local hospitals and whatnot. It seems certain to improve not only my harvest and technique, but also versatility as well as expand my knowledge of cultivation furthur, mychorhizzal relationships to plants, etc...

What should i expect?

I will however comment on the Michigan club since thats where you are from.  I was the mycologist for that club last year at their fall foray.  The club really likes edibles.  Depending on where you are located and which club some use Latin names for the shrooms others use common names.  Some clubs like edibles and other places a few people sometimes get offended is some one asks is it edible?  The Michigan club will be very helpful with learning mushrooms and will not be offended if you ask is it edible.  Its a really nice group of people and I even had a beer with them at past midnight, its not a wild group but no one would be offended if you had a beer.  They also are really good mushroom cooks and the do some mushroom eating at their foray.  I would strongly recommend joining that club, they are extremely friendly and are a really great group of people.  I can say enough good things about how extremely helpful a numbers of there members are.  I would 100 percent recomend joining the club.

As for the North American Mycological Association.  The thing I like best about NAMA is that they have forays in different parts of the country each year.  This year its going to be in California, last year we hosted it here in PA.  By going to the different locations its really nice to get to see some mushrooms that you dont get back at home.  They also tend to have a good number of mycologist giving programs at the foray and it can be good place to learn some mushrooms.  If you join NAMA pm me on how you like it and what you would like to see NAMA doing.

You should also check out the NEMF foray.  Its held in the North east every year.  This year it will be in PA.  We get a number of people from Michigan at the NAMA and NEMF forays.  Last year I believe at least 10 came from your area. 

If you have any specific questions PM me. 

John

Edited by Fungi01 (03/15/12 09:30 PM)

InvisibleGravija
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: joining a local mycological club [Re: Fungi01]
    #15952600 - 03/15/12 07:43 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Wow, that's a pretty detailed account.:lol:

Any chance you know something about the Illinois mycological association?

--------------------
Listen to my music

Here

OfflineFungi01
John Plischke
Male User Gallery

Loc: Western Pennsylvania
Trusted Identifier
Re: joining a local mycological club [Re: Gravija] * 1
    #15953262 - 03/15/12 10:14 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

I am familiar with the Illinois mycological association.  I spent some time mushrooming there.  Nice group of people.  One of there members is even a member of my local club having moved here.  What can I say.  Well when I started out mushrooming there were no mushroom clubs in Pennsylvania where I live, so When I started out I went out on my own with family.  We had a few books and used common names.  Picked Morels, Puffballs, Field Mushroms, and a few others.  Then my parents took me to NAMA and NEMF and some of the clubs in nearby states.  Most of them were more laid back and used a little Latin and a lot of common names.  So thats how I started out.  At my first NAMA foray many years ago I learned a lot and had a little culture shock.  The first lecture that I attended used mostly Latin and I probably only understood about 50 percent what the person was saying.  Not only did they use Latin names but strange names to describe the different parts of the mushroom.  For a little while I was not sure if I still wanted to study mushrooms.  lol.  Different clubs are more advanced than others the not saying one way is better than the other as long as you can understand what someone is saying.  Personally when I am talking to beginners I use mostly common names and just a speck of Latin to go with it.  If I am talking to more advanced people then more Latin.  I always think that both should be used for example on an ID slip at a foray where we label the shrooms I would prefer if we could use a common name and the Latin name so no matter what the skill level of the person they could understand it.  I also prefer using Latin names in the field guides that people have rather than using the most current Latin name that may or may not get accepted.  Some of the field guides that we have had the Latin name change over 7 times for one mushroom in the guide since it was written.  I personally feel its important not to scare of a beginner by using to much Latin, I have seen it happen many times.  All of a sudden some "expert" is talking and using real technical terms with 20 or more people around listening and 5 minutes later most are gone.  lol.  Not good. Here on the shroomery people can understand what one is talking about the only thing more advanced here is there are a lot of the newest Latin names being used.  Thats because of many of the people here also post on MO. 

Ok got distracted.  You will be ok in the Illinois mycological association.  They do use more Latin and just a few of the people there can on occasion go a little overboard when talking to a less advanced person but they are nice group of people.  You will be able to understand the talks there.  The club there is one of the more active clubs and have a decent number of walks and forays and monthly meetings.  One of the nice things there is that people from the club have a good mix of many different skill levels.  Some professionals and some advanced people as well as beginners.  A nice mix.  Go on a few walks.  Also go on a multi day foray, thats where you can really learn a lot.  I think the real plus of the club is that they are active and have lots of mushroom events.  I would recommend joing the club you will quickly advance if you regulary attend the events. 

I will not comment on if there is any more colorful aspects there.  lol.  Already edited my post about that in general.  lol.

InvisibleGravija
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: joining a local mycological club [Re: Fungi01]
    #15953304 - 03/15/12 10:22 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Thanks john! I'm actually very excited to attend their April meeting... Michael Kuo will be presenting. It will be very interesting going on a foray with other people. Up to this point I've always gone alone.

--------------------
Listen to my music

Here

Offlinepskept

Male User Gallery

Loc: /home/pskept
    #15954448 - 03/16/12 07:52 AM (12 years, 15 days ago)

i went to a few forays with my local mushroom hunting club when i first started getting an interest in fungi other than morels and cubes. the people leading the foray were very nice and knowledgeable. half of the attendees were cool and the other half were extremely annoying. as far as knowledge gained from the forays i gained little. the reason for this is because i went all aspidelic, per usual, by obsessing and reading and reading and reading about mycology constantly up until the day of the foray. because of that none of the information shared on the foray was new to me and i learned very little. i am pointing this out because if you are the same way you might also experience the boredom that i did. also, i would consider your sociability. if you are really into people and making friends then the club is probably a good thing for you. myself, i prefer to be left alone and one of the things i enjoy about foraging and hiking is the solitude so heading out in the woods with a club is not for me. this is likely why i found half of the people at the foray to be annoying.

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15954734 - 03/16/12 10:21 AM (12 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Gravija said:
Thanks john! I'm actually very excited to attend their April meeting... Michael Kuo will be presenting. It will be very interesting going on a foray with other people. Up to this point I've always gone alone.

Really? man.... i wish i had money and or transportation, i really want to see michael kuo, I just finished his book 'morels' in an attempt to improve my morel hunting prowess, and an april foray in illinois sounds like just the perfect followup... i've been going crazy waiting for the first mushrooms to pop this year.

I'm thinking I'll likely be joining, i'm sorta hoping to hear from a few old hands here and their experiences but it's no question that i'm hooked for life so i might as well join the club and expand my knowledge, experience and connections as well as credibility.

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫

InvisibleGravija
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: joining a local mycological club [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #16035948 - 04/02/12 09:18 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I just attended my first meeting with the Illinois mycological association. It was AWESOME! I must admit, I was pretty nervous walking in. I don't know why, that never happens to me( blatant lie). It was very disconcerting being the youngest person in the crowd by at least 10 years. So many interesting people! I only introduced myself to a couple of people that could have been dentists or lawyers or anarchists.
The presentation by Dr. Micheal Kuo was so f***ing cool. Micheal spoke at length about his soon to be released paper on Morels, coauthored by at least 10 other people. Apparently there are 20+ species in the us and Canada (he said they had trouble gathering resources from Mexico)! He only went in depth with the species that occur in the Midwest.
Kuo is just as funny in person as he is on ME. He seems to be a little TOO fascinated with phalluses:lol:. He spoke a bit about stinkhorns. If anyone collects stinkhorns this year they should send them along to Illinois for analysis! The mailing address listed for the project on ME is the english department at the university of Illinois. I can't even imagine the shit he will catch when packages of reeking stinkhorns start coming in.

Anyway, I just wanted to say- Anyone considering joining their local mycology club, Do it! Dues are cheap,there are cool people and lots of stuff to learn!

--------------------
Listen to my music

Here

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #16036045 - 04/02/12 09:42 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for that, i really wanted to go there just to see michael kuo speak, but i just got back from vacation in florida and it couldn't happen. i'm glad to hear a report of your experience though and am definitely joining soon.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
    #16036913 - 04/03/12 02:21 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Michael Kuo is an awesome person, and he kind of looks like a seal.

I don't give money to any mycological society, but I am speaking at the BAMS meeting on May 17 in Berkeley.  Topic will be Mushrooms of Mexico.

I usually show up at all of their events.  Many of the things cost around $200 but I don't pay and show up anyway and no one complains. 

They are awesome people but also really old!  I am 34 and I am often the youngest person there.

I like hanging out with cool old people.  They are rad.

InvisibleRiverDweller1
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: joining a local mycological club [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #16037545 - 04/03/12 09:25 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
... I am 34 and I am often the youngest person there.

wow that surprises me and confirms I'm old.  Geritol here I come!

Offlinewintersbefore
Trust me I'm a mycologist
Female User Gallery

Loc: Vonore, TN
Trusted Identifier
Re: joining a local mycological club [Re: RiverDweller1]
    #16037587 - 04/03/12 09:36 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RiverDweller1 said:
Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
... I am 34 and I am often the youngest person there.

wow that surprises me and confirms I'm old.  Geritol here I come!

Haha, I thought he was younger :-)

Offlinesuchen
Once and Future Noob
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shangri-la
Trusted Identifier
Re: joining a local mycological club [Re: wintersbefore]
    #16037630 - 04/03/12 09:49 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I picture him as a sort of 20-something James Dean.

--------------------
Rod Tulloss said:

The bulb is the bulb.

The volva is the volva.

They have a very long term realtionship, but they’re “just friends.”

InvisibleRiverDweller1
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: joining a local mycological club [Re: suchen]
    #16037656 - 04/03/12 09:57 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

he's gonna be mad when he reads this ahahahahaa

I thought he was in his late forties!  Here I held him as some sort of seasoned, elder-statesman ahahahahaa

Sadly, I turn 36 in August, wrinkly and grey and still humping it up those long forgotten trails.

Offlinepskept

Male User Gallery

Loc: /home/pskept
Re: joining a local mycological club [Re: RiverDweller1]
    #16037675 - 04/03/12 10:03 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RiverDweller1 said:
Sadly, I turn 36 in August, wrinkly and grey and still humping it up those long forgotten trails.

why sadly? of course i don't really know but i figure turning 36 is better than not turning 36 right? at least for the time being that is. bet we all got a few friends who we wish would have got to see their next year :frown:

i turn a cool computer related number next week. 32!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder