Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePlasterFig
Voyager
Male

Loc: In Transit
First Grow
    #15948578 - 03/14/12 09:31 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Hello Shroomery!
    Pardon the cliche, but I've been lurking the forums for a good while now, and I recently decided I've become knowledgeable and ambitious enough to set up my first grow..
    It's been somewhat difficult to figure out how to actually step onto the scene and start posting with anything other than a grow-log; as everyone knows, any question I have has been answered a hundred times. Nonetheless, I hope this particular thread becomes something worth looking at! :thumbup:

I'm going to go with a fairly unmodified PF Tek, with a few experiments on the side. I'm shooting for 12 cakes, and my spores are set to arrive some time this weekend. I have my jars all ready to go, hopefully a few days on their own won't breed contams...
    Just to see what happens, I plan to take a jam jar filled with BRF and inoculate that as well as the cakes, plus a first attempt at an LC. Neither of these have much motive, other than proof of concept, and a fun way to use the last .5cc of my syringe. If either goes well of course, I'll set about trying to make use of them..

Again, nice to meet all of you, I hope I can eventually help contribute some meaningful data to give back for how much you guys have helped me learn already!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRest NVS
Seeker of knowledge
Male

Loc: Colorado
Re: First Grow [Re: PlasterFig]
    #15948802 - 03/14/12 10:17 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Nice to meet you too! I have just recently started this hobby, but it is definitely going well. All if the info you need is listed on this site. All I can say is clean, clean, and more clean! You need to make sure that is #1. My first grow went down the tubes do to contams. Since my change to Mr. clean thing have been going great!

InvisibleMagicCarpetRide89
Sideways Traveler
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
    #15948952 - 03/14/12 10:53 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

get er done man!! :banana:    :dancingshroom:

--------------------
If it's anonymous you want... IRC: irc.apexsec.ca SSL port: +6697  Room #Apexsec

OfflineAaron8001
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: First Grow [Re: MagicCarpetRide89]
    #15948978 - 03/14/12 11:01 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

welcome to the club

--------------------
My Trade List

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Einstein

OfflinePlasterFig
Voyager
Male

#15950338 - 03/15/12 10:27 AM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Haha thanks, people.

So I'm currently building my SGFC, but due to the constraints of what I had on hand, it won't be exactly standard. It's a bit on the small side at 12 gallons, and I hot punched 1/8" holes about 1.5" apart all over it. The main sticking point is its very odd lid. It has an opaque blue lid that actually sits in hinges on either side of the lid, and opens up in the middle like a french door. Since it is opaque, I need to either get rid of it entirely or modify it.
    Naturally, I choose to see if I can frankenstein the thing together.  :cool:
    What's your thoughts on this? If I were to cut a large circle of plexiglass bigger than the cfl fixture I want to put on there, and kind of "inscribe" it into the lid so as to have a sort of clear porthole, would I be getting enough light?

Offlinewhitetail
Stranger

#15950457 - 03/15/12 11:06 AM (12 years, 6 days ago)

:syringe: Due to lack of recources I'm Thinking of doing a grow. Been wantin a look at the world through the rabbit hole for years but without access. I figured a couple cakes would suffice. That's what I said before all the hrs. of research. Now it's like the Mycellic network is useing me to propigate itself, (though I haven't even started). Is big brother watching us? Shit's a felony here but I gotta have it. Think I might be able to talk myself into stop smoking & shit. Good luck to all the noobs, many thanks to all the contributors. Sorry if I'm off thread, no I'm not.

OfflineRest NVS
Seeker of knowledge
Male

#15950471 - 03/15/12 11:08 AM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Pics???? You can basically put anything on to of the FC that will keep th RH up. You just want to be able to have FAE, but the holes on your FC and fanning 5-6 times a day should be enough. Ive seen grows in all sorts of crazy containers! And hey, since you seem to like to make things it shouldn't be to hard to modify something to fit over the top with maybe a Plexiglas window in it. Definitely send some pics once you get everything put together, you sparked my interest.   
:dancingshroom:

Offlinewhitetail
Stranger

Re: First Grow [Re: whitetail]
    #15950480 - 03/15/12 11:11 AM (12 years, 6 days ago)

And I gotta have 10 posts to veiw some more info the shroomd demand it!

OfflineRest NVS
Seeker of knowledge
Male

Re: First Grow [Re: whitetail]
    #15950560 - 03/15/12 11:36 AM (12 years, 6 days ago)

What are your questions? I have a ton of stuff book marked and Id be happy to send you the link. I know that htis site helped me to figure out pretty much every problem Ive had so far. Im loving this growing of fun guys, and if I can help anyone in any way to have a great time like Im having I did my job!:grin:

OfflinePlasterFig
Voyager
Male

Re: First Grow [Re: Rest NVS]
    #15950940 - 03/15/12 01:26 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Sure thing, this is my FC so far.. (I think I'll go buy the plexiglass sometime next week, I'll definitely post pictures when I get that together..)

Also, as far as light goes, if I read correctly, more is SOMEWHAT like better. I had originally planned to put just one 23W 5000k cfl on top, but RR made some posts about cubes liking more light, and that more light was better, to a point of diminishing returns. I can only assume that two bulbs is WAY less than that point, and if it helps the yield I'll throw two on there. The plan is to screw the two lightbulbs into a Y connector that terminates in a male plug, and just hook it up to an extension cord. Then I can take some baling wire and wire the fixture onto the FC, then use perhaps polished aluminum (Or in a pinch the shiny side of foil) as a reflector).

Another sidenote:

I bought a pc today, but instead of redoing all 12 jars, I'm going to redo half, and then compare the results of the two processes. I was also see there's divided opinions about whether to re-tape or not after inoculation, so I'll test that as well. So I'm going to have four groups of three cakes each. 3 pressure cooked and retaped, 3 pc'ed and left open, 3 boiled and retaped, etc.

Not that 3 cakes can verify a result or anything, but it adds another data point; a drop in the bucket of other setups.. I'll keep you all posted on what happens.

Edit: (Also Rest NVS, you're quite correct. I love to make things. Craft of various types is my passion, haha... I also make wooden bows, various swords, armors, mailles, furniture... You name it.)

Edited by PlasterFig (03/15/12 01:29 PM)

OfflineRest NVS
Seeker of knowledge
Male

#15951162 - 03/15/12 02:14 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Damn, you drilled the shit out of that FC! :laugh: Mine doesn't have quite so many, but I live in a very dry climate. Hopefully that will hold the RH. I tried one with 75% as many and I couldn't get the RH up until I had taped up several.
As for the lid, I don't see why that wouldn't work! but if you want to change it up you can. What I would do is just go buy a new one. Those tubs are pretty cheap and it might be easier to just buy a new tub With a better lid and drill your holes. But as you said you like to modify things. :grin:
I personally dont tape my jars after inoculation because they need to be able to breath. I leave the foil on lightly just to cover the holes. I have heard tons of different ways of doing it, but I guess I have figured that if its not broke than why fix it. I just PC them with foil on top and use my glove box  to inoculate and that has worked fine for me.

OfflinePlasterFig
Voyager
Male

#15951243 - 03/15/12 02:32 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Haha yeah, I put a hell of a lot of holes in it, but as I said, they're only 1/8", so they have significantly less area per hole than 1/4".
I'm about 2-3 hours from the Gulf coast, so it's pretty warm and humid here. I think FAE is going to be a bigger factor than RH for me. However, what do you use to measure RH? I notice some people have sophisticated hygrometers, and I wonder how necessary that is.

If I may ask, NVS, are you running 1/2 pint jars? If so, how fast are you getting full colonization with no tape, and what's your contam rate? Also, do you tape at all or foil the whole way through?

I've also made a very rudimentary monotub glove box and an alcohol lamp from an old airwick scented oil thing. I'm really looking forward to getting to work on knocking those jars up!

OfflineBjJiggles
Gym seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #15951248 - 03/15/12 02:33 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

I wouldn't tape the holes. And if you absolutely have to for experimental purposes. Use some kind of breathable tape like micropore. If you completely seal them they are likely to stall. Just make sure you have a half inch dry verm layer at the top of your jar. Make sure you wipe the rim before putting the dry verm in. GL keep us posted

--------------------

Alan Rockefeller said:No!  Do not feed the type collection of a new species to animals!

OfflinePlasterFig
Voyager
Male

Re: First Grow [Re: BjJiggles]
    #15951279 - 03/15/12 02:40 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Jiggles, do you recommend foil loosely on top like NVS does?

OfflineRest NVS
Seeker of knowledge
Male

#15951303 - 03/15/12 02:44 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Once i started cleaning the shit out of my house and grow area I have had ZERO problems with contam, and yes Im using 1/2 pint jars and foil from PC till birth. I havent had really any issues once I started keeping my shroom room spotless. Lysol has to love me seeing that I use a lot of it and alcohol.
I solved my FAE problem by putting a fan next to the wall facing away from the FC's. This has seemed to give enough air flow in the room to keep the fun guys happy.

OfflineBjJiggles
Gym seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #15951345 - 03/15/12 02:51 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

If the rooms relatively clean then not really. But I will Say that my friend has had some in a questionable closet with cobb webbs on the ceiling so he kind of folded the foil in a dome shape making sure to leave room for GE but preventing any falling contaminates to come through the holes. The dry verm layer is just about all you need. My friend hasn't had a contam yet in 4 bulk grows and 24 pf tek jars. No contams until later flushes I mean, those are almost inevitable. But yeah, if it makes you feel better i don't see a huge deal with the foil as long as its very loose. But as long as you don't introduce contams during inoculation the dry verm will be plenty.

--------------------

Alan Rockefeller said:No!  Do not feed the type collection of a new species to animals!

OfflineRest NVS
Seeker of knowledge
Male

Re: First Grow [Re: BjJiggles]
    #15951410 - 03/15/12 03:04 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

BjJiggles said:
If the rooms relatively clean then not really. But I will Say that my friend has had some in a questionable closet with cobb webbs on the ceiling so he kind of folded the foil in a dome shape making sure to leave room for GE but preventing any falling contaminates to come through the holes. The dry verm layer is just about all you need. My friend hasn't had a contam yet in 4 bulk grows and 24 pf tek jars. No contams until later flushes I mean, those are almost inevitable. But yeah, if it makes you feel better i don't see a huge deal with the foil as long as its very loose. But as long as you don't introduce contams during inoculation the dry verm will be plenty.

:whathesaid:
I fold the foil down around the jars to hold it in place, but I don't press it against the jar.  Jinggles is right about the layer of verm being some what of contaminate shield, and that is why I dont see the need for tape. As long as you inoculate your jars in as sterile as possible conditions the foil is all you need while the jars colonize. To each their own though I guess. :grin:

OfflinePlasterFig
Voyager
Male

#15951580 - 03/15/12 03:53 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Alright, perhaps I've been over-thinking it. Sounds like I'm trying to make it harder than it has to be, I'll just rip the tape off after inoculation and just leave the foil loosely on all of them.

OfflineOOOG
Stranger

#15951596 - 03/15/12 03:57 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

:thumbup:

OfflinePlasterFig
Voyager
Male

Re: First Grow [Re: OOOG]
    #15959848 - 03/17/12 02:46 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

Syringe came in today, lost no time in getting to work.

As of now, I have:
6 PCed 1/2 pint BRF jars,
6 Boiled 1/2 pint BRF jars,
2 WBR grain jars w/tyvek
1 large BRF jar for spawn experiment
1 quart Honey LC

all Knocked Up and ready to go!

Now begins the long waiting game... :biggrin:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures