Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

Loc: Dirdy SOUF Flag
All the gold in the world could fit in two Olympic Size pools
    #15825018 - 02/17/12 07:52 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/01/gold/larmer-text/3

Quote:

For all of its allure, gold's human and environmental toll has never been so steep. Part of the challenge, as well as the fascination, is that there is so little of it. In all of history, only 161,000 tons of gold have been mined, barely enough to fill two Olympic-size swimming pools

If you imagine how many people there are in the world and how small two pools are and how popular gold is. I can hardly believe I have a gold ring. It's crazy to think about.

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:
You constantly make posts thatr fling middle school insults at people you don't like mixed in with maladjusted psychopathic comments about wanting to beat up the other poster with a crowbar.

You know how shit you are, you just don't give a fuck for precisely that reason.

I disendorse you.[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSalomon
ಠ︵ಠ balance ಠ_ಠ weaver ಠ‿ಠ
Male
Loc: America, FUCK YEAH Flag
Re: All the gold in the world could fit in two Olympic Size pools [Re: TheFakeSunRa]
    #15825044 - 02/17/12 07:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Olympic sized swimming pools are pretty big actually.

besides, there is such a thing as modern day alchemy. we can manufacture small amounts of gold from other elements.

it's extremely cost ineffective tho.

--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT

InvisibleLayinUp
Crush yo rating like yo butthole
 User Gallery

Loc: Between the permafrost an... Flag
Re: All the gold in the world could fit in two Olympic Size pools [Re: TheFakeSunRa]
    #15825051 - 02/17/12 08:01 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hard to believe. I'm sure there's plenty more where that came from. Accessing it has always been the issue it seems...

--------------------

Escape the box.

Offlinecinic

Re: All the gold in the world could fit in two Olympic Size pools [Re: LayinUp]
    #15825063 - 02/17/12 08:04 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ya this is not a definitive answer.

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

Re: All the gold in the world could fit in two Olympic Size pools [Re: Salomon]
    #15825065 - 02/17/12 08:04 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Olympic sized swimming pools are pretty big actually

Dude, there are almost 7 billion people in the world.

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:
You constantly make posts thatr fling middle school insults at people you don't like mixed in with maladjusted psychopathic comments about wanting to beat up the other poster with a crowbar.

You know how shit you are, you just don't give a fuck for precisely that reason.

InvisibleDieCommie

#15825078 - 02/17/12 08:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TheFakeSunRa said:
Quote:

Most of them have zero gold.  I think one issue is how big volumes really are.  People notoriously underestimate volumes.  Because if you see the side of a swimming pool be twice as long as another, you instinctively think of it as twice as big.  But its not, its eight times as big.

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

#15825090 - 02/17/12 08:09 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

An olympic sized swimming pool is pretty fucking huge. I mean really fucking huge.

According to Wiki, an average depth Olympic sized pool could hold over 660,000 gallons of water. That's a VERY conservative estimate, since there is no true definition of an Olympic sized pool since depth varies. They only classify it by length.

Water weighs about 8.35 pounds. So given the average olympic pool, the water would weigh 5,511,000 pounds.

Gold weighs almost 20 times more than water, so for the sake of making it simple, I'll just apply it to the standard olympic pool.

110,220,000 pounds x 2.

220,440,000 pounds. And that's the bare minimum. It could be MUCH more.

And we still haven't scratched the surface as far as how much gold the earth holds.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

Re: All the gold in the world could fit in two Olympic Size pools [Re: DieCommie]
    #15825101 - 02/17/12 08:10 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

TheFakeSunRa said:
Quote:

Most of them have zero gold.  I think one issue is how big volumes really are.  People notoriously underestimate volumes.  Because if you see the side of a swimming pool be twice as long as another, you instinctively think of it as twice as big.  But its not, its eight times as big.

I know how to measure volume. It's an incredibly small amount compared to how many people there are to covet it.

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:

InvisibleCrossingTheStar
Unoriginal Philosopher
Male

Loc: U.S. of A. Flag
Re: All the gold in the world could fit in two Olympic Size pools [Re: DieCommie]
    #15825102 - 02/17/12 08:10 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'll laugh my ass off if we all move to the moon, the earth explodes, and it turns out there were caverns filled with molten gold.

--------------------
:durrhurr: Smoke enough weed and you'll never grow up, mentally. Peter Pan strain. :durrhurr:

InvisibleAgingHippy
Flwr Pwr
Male User Gallery

Loc: Necropolis Flag
Re: All the gold in the world could fit in two Olympic Size pools [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #15825106 - 02/17/12 08:11 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

thats really misleading OP, you make it sound like that's all the gold on earth, but there's a shit ton of gold everywhere in the dirt and water that has yet to be harvested.

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: All the gold in the world could fit in two Olympic Size pools [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #15825107 - 02/17/12 08:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Damn, my number was way low for what Nat Geo stated.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Offlinebear jesus
long time lurker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: britland
    #15825109 - 02/17/12 08:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

But recent mining production has been thousands of tons per year.

I think the current amount is mainly due to way lower production in the past, at recent rates it should be less than 60 years before the total amount has been doubled and i think it probably took longer than 60 years to get the first 165,000 tonnes.

--------------------
The pastafarian Jesus.

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: All the gold in the world could fit in two Olympic Size pools [Re: bear jesus]
    #15825122 - 02/17/12 08:15 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Gold isn't going away just like oil isn't going away any time soon.

It's the cost of retrieving it vs what it's worth that's the problem.

--------------------

InvisibleSalomon
Male
    #15825156 - 02/17/12 08:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TheFakeSunRa said:
Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

TheFakeSunRa said:
Quote:

I know how to measure volume. It's an incredibly small amount compared to how many people there are to covet it.

not everybody is a jew for gold.

i don't care much for shiny things that aren't crystal in nature, personally

--------------------

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

#15825161 - 02/17/12 08:22 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm a little surprised at how you guys see this. Imagine if all the gold in the world were put into two pools and then every person on the planet was allowed to bum rush it and take what they could get. Think how hard it would be get some.

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:

InvisibleDieCommie

#15825166 - 02/17/12 08:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TheFakeSunRa said:
I'm a little surprised at how you guys see this. Imagine if all the gold in the world were put into two pools and then every person on the planet was allowed to bum rush it and take what they could get. Think how hard it would be get some.

What if the moon was made of cheese?  Would you eat it?

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery

Loc: all up in ya
Re: All the gold in the world could fit in two Olympic Size pools [Re: Salomon]
    #15825187 - 02/17/12 08:27 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

soon enough lead, brass, copper, sulfur, carbon, and potassium will be the most precious things to have.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

InvisibleSalomon
Male
    #15825190 - 02/17/12 08:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

TheFakeSunRa said:

What if the moon was made of cheese?  Would you eat it?

if i could achieve space travel i would :eaglekitty:

--------------------

InvisibleCrossingTheStar
Unoriginal Philosopher
Male

Loc: U.S. of A. Flag
Re: All the gold in the world could fit in two Olympic Size pools [Re: Psychoslut]
    #15825191 - 02/17/12 08:29 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Psychoslut said:
soon enough lead, brass, copper, sulfur, carbon, and potassium will be the most precious things to have.

I guess I better stock up on pennies and bananas

--------------------
:durrhurr: Smoke enough weed and you'll never grow up, mentally. Peter Pan strain. :durrhurr:

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery

Loc: all up in ya
Re: All the gold in the world could fit in two Olympic Size pools [Re: CrossingTheStar]
    #15825202 - 02/17/12 08:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

hardy har har

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order