Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRhizohunter
myco-nerd
Male

Re: Record Ovoid season? [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #15841214 - 02/21/12 04:16 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Either way I think I know areas that flood from the Allegheny. I'll give it a shot.

It's more the thrill of finding and photographing these mushrooms than eating them. It would be pretty sweet to find some regular patches every spring though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedickenz07
Hunter/Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.W. West Virginia
Re: Record Ovoid season? [Re: Rhizohunter]
    #15841556 - 02/21/12 07:51 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

They definitely come from the feeder creeks and rivers first...ive found them in WV waaaay too far from the ohio river...in a small feeder river. My guess is that if you find the right habitat..within or close to the range..youll have a good chance of finding them.

--------------------
WEILII

Ovoids

OfflineRhizohunter
myco-nerd
Male

Re: Record Ovoid season? [Re: dickenz07]
    #15841569 - 02/21/12 07:53 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

dickenz07 said:
They definitely come from the feeder creeks and rivers first...ive found them in WV waaaay too far from the ohio river...in a small feeder river. My guess is that if you find the right habitat..within or close to the range..youll have a good chance of finding them.

West Virginia was our plan of travel this year. I'll just watch the shroomery and go from there.

Invisibleavidpicker
funnycolorsinmymushrooms
 User Gallery

Loc: Mushroom Mountain
Re: Record Ovoid season? [Re: Rhizohunter]
    #15842673 - 02/21/12 01:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

alcoholichunter said:

It's more the thrill of finding and photographing these mushrooms than eating them.

:thumbup: Totally agree with you.Its quite the experience sippin on some ovoid tea every now and then too.

--------------------

InvisibleToe_Jam
Bluefoot Bandit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around some corner... Flag
Re: Record Ovoid season? [Re: avidpicker]
    #15843106 - 02/21/12 03:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

avidpicker said:
Quote:

alcoholichunter said:

It's more the thrill of finding and photographing these mushrooms than eating them.

:thumbup: Totally agree with you.Its quite the experience sippin on some ovoid tea every now and then too.

No doubt to anything above.

Best of luck to all you cats, I sure hope it's a record season.:thumbup:

--------------------
God lay his finger at the Mouth of the Serpent

March 1984

A pleasing land of drowsy head it was,
Of dreams that wave before the half-shut eye,
And of gay castles in the clouds that pass,
For ever flushing round a summer sky. -Castle of Indolence

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Record Ovoid season? [Re: Toe_Jam]
    #15843152 - 02/21/12 03:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

me too, I'd rather eat cubes. Those stems are awefully tough :crazy2: and fresh  can't hardly choke them down

Offlinedickenz07
Hunter/Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Re: Record Ovoid season? [Re: SomeGuy]
    #15885566 - 03/01/12 11:51 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Yeah but much more potent in my experience..:crazy2:

--------------------
WEILII

Ovoids

Offlinedickenz07
Hunter/Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Re: Record Ovoid season? [Re: dickenz07]
    #15885977 - 03/01/12 01:39 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Of course weilii will always be my favorite..ovoids 2nd..cubes 3rd...and then panaeolus cinctulus 4th..i havent yet had the opportunity to experiment with any other species yet.

--------------------
WEILII

Ovoids

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Record Ovoid season? [Re: Gravija]
    #17620421 - 01/27/13 06:52 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Gravija said:
Quote:

koods said:
The lack of snow is not going to portend dry soil this spring - only the amount of rain this spring will matter. Most of the areas of the country where you find ovoids do not experience melting snow packs in the spring at all. Last year here in the DC area we had one snowstorm the entire winter, it was completely melted within a week, followed by a warm and somewhat dry spring - I still found a bunch of patches despite not looking until the end of May (when the temperature hit 100).

Spring flooding isn't caused by snow melt in your immediate area. It's caused by countless miles of snow melt up river of your area. As the IMMENSELY knowledgeable bobzimmer pointed out, spring rains typically begin too late to greatly impact ovoid mycelium.

Thought I would bump this thread. I get frustrated when threads never get around to answering the questions they pose:

"Was last season a record one?"

For me, yes. It got off to a slow start because of the mentioned near record drought. It literally did not rain for the last half of March and the first half of April. There were quite a few fruits found at the beginning of April that had no chance - they just dried up. However, once the rains came back, it was fucking gangbusters.

So, not to disrespect the esteemed Gravija and Bobzimmer, it really doesn't seem to matter if there is an ongoing drought or rain deficit, all that seems to matter is how much rain you've received in the previous couple days.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

InvisibleGravija
Make way for the cavalcade
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Record Ovoid season? [Re: koods]
    #17620727 - 01/27/13 07:55 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I think this is true of saprobes in general. I'm glad you had a great season. I can think of three days this year when I found more than 10 mushrooms in a day. I found five entire morels this year. Five.

The relationship between Psilocybe ovoideocystidia and floodwaters seems less clear then it did at the time of the above quoted conversation. The number of observations from urban areas in California has been surprising (to me, at least.)

--------------------
Listen to my music

Here

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Loc: NY
Trusted Identifier
Re: Record Ovoid season? [Re: Gravija]
    #17620948 - 01/27/13 08:39 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
So, not to disrespect the esteemed Gravija and Bobzimmer, it really doesn't seem to matter if there is an ongoing drought or rain deficit, all that seems to matter is how much rain you've received in the previous couple days.

Well Jesus tap dancing Christ on a shit stained scooter, I guess I was wrong!:hillbilly:

Glad you had a bumper season!:hatsoff:

Quote:

Gravija said:
I think this is true of saprobes in general. I'm glad you had a great season. I can think of three days this year when I found more than 10 mushrooms in a day. I found five entire morels this year. Five.

The relationship between Psilocybe ovoideocystidia and floodwaters seems less clear then it did at the time of the above quoted conversation. The number of observations from urban areas in California has been surprising (to me, at least.)

Yeah my season was pretty similar. They're finding ovoids everywhere...even in Cali. I wonder if any Shroomerites had anything to do with that? Still haven't found any ovoids 'round here...just some funky bluefoots...:shrug:

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Record Ovoid season? [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #17621087 - 01/27/13 09:08 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Yep. The 2012 morel numbers were WAAY down from the spring of 2011. But, the ovoids seemed like they were on a hair trigger, just waiting for the first soaking rain (it was a nor'easter) to fire.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix