Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVibration
Student
Male User Gallery

Dont mix bleach with vinegar. It's highly poisonous.
    #15771144 - 02/06/12 10:09 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.ecofriendlycleaning.org/vinegar-bleach.html

"Vinegar/Bleach is a dangerous combination so you are never, under any circumstance, to mix them up together especially if you want to avoid getting your skin burned when handling it. Even as separate liquid solutions, vinegar and bleach are already very potent and highly reactive liquids.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what will happen when their molecules are forced to percolate on each other’s chemical make-up. It will be an unmitigated disaster that have very dangerous and possibly health threatening ramifications that you have to avoid at all costs.

Vinegar/Bleach should not be part of your cleaning supplies repertoire or at least not as a compound solution. If you really want a potent cleaning agent, you can use cane vinegar for such spaces as the bathrooms and really stained floors. Bleach on the other hand can be used on more stubborn stains such as soap scum and water stains on the shower door.

It is important that everyone in your house, especially those that handle cleaning besides you to know that the vinegar/bleach combination should never be used or attempted in any way. In fact, to avoid the harmful ramifications with this deadly combination, you should put them away separately. Since vinegar is usually used for cooking and other kitchen purposes, it should be kept in the cupboards while bleaching agents should be in a safe place far away from the reach of curious children and very playful teenagers who might attempt to do something foolish while adults are away."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2012/02/01/why-people-mix-bleach-and-vinegar.htm

If mixing bleach and vinegar releases toxic chlorine gas, then why do people do it? There are two answers to this question. The first answer is that vinegar lowers the pH of bleach, making it a better disinfectant. I'll explain how that works in a bit. The second answer to 'why people mix bleach and vinegar' is that people don't know any better or underestimate the risk. They hear mixing the chemicals makes them better cleaners and disinfectants, but don't realize it isn't going to make enough of a difference to justify the considerable health hazard.
What Happens When Bleach and Vinegar Are Mixed

Chlorine bleach contains sodium hypochlorite or NaOCl. Because bleach is sodium hypochlorite in water, the sodium hypochlorite in bleach actually exists as hypochlorous acid:

NaOCl + H2O ↔ HOCl + Na+ + OH-

Hypochlorous acid is a strong oxidizer. This is what makes it so good at bleaching and disinfection. If you mix bleach with an acid, chlorine gas will be produced. For example, if you mix bleach with toilet bowl cleaner, which contains hydrochloric acid:

HOCl + HCl ↔ H2O + Cl2

Chlorine gas attacks mucous membranes, such as your eyes, throat, and lungs and can kill you, so causing that reaction isn't in your best interest. If you mix bleach with another acid, such as the acetic acid found in vinegar, you get essentially the same result:

2HOCl + 2HAc ↔ Cl2 + 2H2O + 2Ac- (Ac : CH3COO)

There is an equilibrium between the chlorine species that is influenced by pH. When the pH is lowered, as by adding toilet bowl cleaner or vinegar, the ratio of chlorine gas in increased. When the pH is raised, the ratio of hypochlorite ion is increased. Hypochlorite ion is a less efficient oxidizer than hypochlorous acid, so some people will intentionally lower the pH of bleach to increase the oxidizing power of the chemical, even though chlorine gas is produced as a result.

What You Should Do Instead

Don't poison yourself! Rather than increasing the activity of the bleach by adding vinegar to it, just buy fresh bleach! Chlorine bleach has a shelf life. This is particularly true if your bleach has been hanging around for several months. It's far safer for you to buy fresh bleach than to risk releasing a chemical weapon on yourself by mixing bleach with another chemical. You can use bleach and vinegar for cleaning, just make sure you rinse before switching products.

--------------------
The trick is to combine your waking rational abilities with the infinite possibilities of your dreams. Because, if you can do that, you can do anything.

Edited by Vibration (02/06/12 10:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVibration
Student
Male User Gallery

Re: Dont mix bleach with vinegar. [Re: Vibration]
    #15771155 - 02/06/12 10:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not sure if there's a link between:

a) misting my room with bleach/vinegar/water

b) having aweful dreams and feeling like shit

--------------------
The trick is to combine your waking rational abilities with the infinite possibilities of your dreams. Because, if you can do that, you can do anything.

OfflineVC_Skittles
Seeker
Male

Loc: Southern US
    #15771157 - 02/06/12 10:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Did someone find this out the hard way? As a young boy I had the opportunity to play with pool chlorine with a variety of chemicals. Gotta say the 3-in-1 oil on half a tablet burned spectacularly. The shit kids do when they are bored.

OfflineCuriousgeorge22
Mad Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: mommas womb
    #15771163 - 02/06/12 10:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

ill keep this in mind

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off.
Why should I?” - Bob Marley

OfflineVibration
Student
Male User Gallery

Re: Dont mix bleach with vinegar. [Re: Curiousgeorge22]
    #15771201 - 02/06/12 10:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

One day my hand started bleeding. The skin was looking dry and it started bleeding. I thought that my skin just got too dry because of a cold weather.

It does make more sense to me now.

I've personaly taken that advice and used that solution alot. I thought that UGLY smell was nothing.

--------------------

Offlinezepski
Ya Momma
Male User Gallery

#15771228 - 02/06/12 10:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I could see people thinking this was good for mold spores but i trust agars way if i ever had to do it:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5032259#5032259

Offlinebishlap
Po Thead
Male

Re: Dont mix bleach with vinegar. [Re: zepski]
    #15771627 - 02/07/12 12:14 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

not shure if it was mentioned but don't mix bleach and ammonia either.
makes mustard gas

--------------------
"If you're not worried that you took way
to much, you didn't take enough" -
Terrence McKenna

There is no soul, only the ego dies.
The body was never yours.

OfflineBigPharma
Myco-Rising
 User Gallery

Re: Dont mix bleach with vinegar. [Re: bishlap]
    #15771702 - 02/07/12 12:27 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The most potent home-based cleaner you can safely use is a mix of isopropyl alcohol and hydrogen peroxide.  They won't react without a catalyst, and are quite powerful.  Not sure what the proper dilution is, or if its necessary.

--------------------
"There are no differences, but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."
-William James on NO2 in 1882

OfflineVC_Skittles
Seeker
Male

Loc: Southern US
Re: Dont mix bleach with vinegar. [Re: bishlap]
    #15771823 - 02/07/12 01:01 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bishlap said:
not shure if it was mentioned but don't mix bleach and ammonia either.
makes mustard gas

Not mustard gas... But it is a toxic mix of hydrochloric acid, chloramine, and liquid hydrazine.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dont mix bleach with vinegar. [Re: VC_Skittles]
    #15771859 - 02/07/12 01:10 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Pretty much, just as dangerous as mustard gas.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags