Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Calling car stereo experts
    #15588154 - 12/29/11 04:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I have a 2000 Ford Contour SVT stock head unit and just upgraded all four speakers to Pioneer 3-way 6 * 8s and the sound is much improved, but the rear speakers were a waste as I rarely have back seat passengers and they have to be overcranked to add much to the sound, and the fronts are way down by my feet so the highs are muffled/lost.

I was thinking of adding some head level 1' soft dome tweeters for greater clarity. As this car is 11 years old, I am not wanting to put much more money into it so I don't need a serious system.

I am assuming I will need crossovers with them. Should I just disconnect the rears and run the power to the tweeters and that way I can control the fade/balance or should I run them in parallel with the fronts for easier installation.

Any installation tips would be appreciated. Also any recommendations for a tweeter pair in the $35 to $75 range with the note that I am not an audiophile.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #15598086 - 12/31/11 05:39 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
I have a 2000 Ford Contour SVT stock head unit and just upgraded all four speakers to Pioneer 3-way 6 * 8s and the sound is much improved, but the rear speakers were a waste as I rarely have back seat passengers and they have to be overcranked to add much to the sound, and the fronts are way down by my feet so the highs are muffled/lost.

I was thinking of adding some head level 1' soft dome tweeters for greater clarity. As this car is 11 years old, I am not wanting to put much more money into it so I don't need a serious system.

I am assuming I will need crossovers with them. Should I just disconnect the rears and run the power to the tweeters and that way I can control the fade/balance or should I run them in parallel with the fronts for easier installation.

Any installation tips would be appreciated. Also any recommendations for a tweeter pair in the $35 to $75 range with the note that I am not an audiophile.

Those rear speakers do much more than you think..  Its important to set a good sound stage in any vehicle.

Are you running amps with these speakers?  I would suggest spending the tweeter money on amps instead of crossovers and get a good wiring kit.  That would make your speakers perform like they should.

Your 6 X 8's should have built in passive crossovers and amps will give them punch.  Adding ear level tweeters wont do much because high notes make up a minor part of the music spectrum in general.  What type of music are you listening to most?

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: GabbaDj]
    #15603227 - 01/01/12 09:19 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

it'll make a big difference. Since you have a stock head-unit, I reccomend peizo tweeters. They are cheap, don't require cross-overs, and have a high impedance, so they can be hooked in parellel to your front speakers and not over-tax your head unit. They got them at radio-shack walmart and all over the place. $20.00-$25.00

Invisibleunknown1123
Experimental

Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: SomeGuy]
    #15605767 - 01/02/12 02:28 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

upgrade your head unit. If it's stock and has something to do with audio in your car, it is shit.

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#15609957 - 01/03/12 11:43 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks all for your suggestions. Think I am going to try this cool idea for mounting 1" tweeters on the A pillars here.

--------------------

InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Twighlight Zone
    #15620881 - 01/05/12 03:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

:2cents:

Should always have a crossover for mid-tweeter component set. Unless your Amp can do this for you, I.E: a high output per channel.  Last thing you want is Bass running through your tweets. 

Also, unless your pretty stereo/amp literate... i would suggest crossovers again due to the constant tweaking of the crossover on the amp.

P.S. just to clarify, when i say Crossover I mean Component Crossover not that slim external crossover you wire with RCA Pre-Outs to your Receiver (head-unit) or Amplifier, or the Amp Crossover..

Edit: also, don't use your rear speaker wires to wire your front tweets.  You will miss any high note that doesn't go to the front speakers, and pick up weird ones that are only delivered to the rear speakers, not to mention the wattage/resistance difference. As posted earlier, having a full 4 point stereo auto surround is best practice.

--------------------
Grow Room

Edited by drSE (01/05/12 03:53 PM)

OfflineSomeGuy
Male User Gallery

Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: drSE]
    #15620911 - 01/05/12 03:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

he has a factory head-unit. No amps, no crossovers, no nothing. Thats why I said piezo tweeters, 40k ohms impedance

Invisibleunknown1123
Experimental

#15620946 - 01/05/12 04:04 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SomeGuy said:
he has a factory head-unit.

Your SINGLE BIGGEST PROBLEM. :facepalm:

Please get that removed and replaced before you put anymore money into the audio.

--------------------

InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: unknown1123]
    #15621103 - 01/05/12 04:43 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

unknown1123 said:
Quote:

SomeGuy said:
he has a factory head-unit.

Your SINGLE BIGGEST PROBLEM. :facepalm:

Please get that removed and replaced before you put anymore money into the audio.

actually, in newer vehicle i sometimes prefer the head-unit. Not really a problem at all, and can most certainly power the speakers in the door, unless you bought High-End (don't always believe the box, in stereo its usually 80% wrong unless high-end). Which in that case you are probably buying an amplifier anyways. High-End Component sets can easily run you $500-$1,000 for just front end speakers.

Stock decks have things like, Auto-Vol, dimming, sirus/xm raido, blu-tooth, etc... and to obtain that kind of perfomance aftermarket, you would need a 1,000$ Head-Unit :thumbdown:

Unless its just a radio or tape deck, then BURN that shit.

--------------------
Grow Room

Edited by drSE (01/05/12 04:44 PM)

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#15625840 - 01/06/12 03:04 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

unknown1123 said:
upgrade your head unit. If it's stock and has something to do with audio in your car, it is shit.

Amazingly, if I add an expensive amp and a new head unit, my front sepakers will still be placed too low in the door and have no highs. The non-existent highs will now be louder and crisper.

--------------------

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #15626227 - 01/06/12 04:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

unknown1123 said:

Amazingly, if I add an expensive amp and a new head unit, my front sepakers will still be placed too low in the door and have no highs. The non-existent highs will now be louder and crisper.

Your "non-existent" highs are because you bought Pioneer.  Pioneer just makes poor speakers.

Now lets remedy your situation.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_347050/4-channel-Amplifiers.html?tp=35782

Get yourself a 4 chanel amp and run your speaker line inputs into said amp and rewire your speakers to run off the amp.    It don't need to cost too much money and will even be more impressive than buying tweeters just to boost your highs.

DON'T TRY TO SPLIT YOUR SIGNAL ANY MORE THAN IT ALREADY IS...

Think of it as bandwidth..  You only have soo much and if you pull a bit of it towards some crappy tweets, your just pulling away from some place else...  What you need is MORE POWER.

Just get the amp or amps, get a wiring kit, learn some basics and go to town..  Everything in a ford is meant to snap together...  Once you start taking shit apart you will notice that everything snaps back together, you cant screw it up....

What you need is more power.  Adding speakers will only take away from the power that you have... 

Placement is just a virtue.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Edited by GabbaDj (01/07/12 04:02 PM)

Invisibletrigger
non-trusted identifier
 User Gallery

Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: GabbaDj]
    #15645513 - 01/10/12 03:00 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

all above is a bunch of shit, you need high efficiency  speakers, a simple way to increase the vol and decrease the distortions.

pezo tweets and extra amps, all junk,

ive got 20watts deafening me at the moment, my pictures falling off the walls, neighbors calling the cops, all in a clear accurate sound stage 20 watts 4 speakers each getting 5w, high efficiency is the best, remember instillation is key!

--------------------
If you want to under stand me more better, use a hillbilly redneck voice while trans posing my words 

InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: trigger]
    #15646014 - 01/10/12 04:36 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

trigger said:

ive got 20watts deafening me at the moment, my pictures falling off the walls, neighbors calling the cops, all in a clear accurate sound stage 20 watts 4 speakers each getting 5w, high efficiency is the best, remember instillation is key!

HAHAAAH U High ^^

--------------------
Grow Room

OfflineSomeGuy
Male User Gallery

Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: drSE]
    #15646034 - 01/10/12 04:40 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

drSE said:
Quote:

trigger said:

HAHAAAH U High ^^

Invisibleunknown1123
Experimental

#15646261 - 01/10/12 05:26 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SomeGuy said:
Quote:

drSE said:
Quote:

trigger said:

HAHAAAH U High ^^

--------------------

Invisibletrigger
non-trusted identifier
 User Gallery

#15646341 - 01/10/12 05:41 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

unknown1123 said:
Quote:

SomeGuy said:
Quote:

drSE said:
Quote:

trigger said:

HAHAAAH U High ^^

looks like ya'll aint audiophiles....

--------------------
If you want to under stand me more better, use a hillbilly redneck voice while trans posing my words 

OfflineSomeGuy
Male User Gallery

Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: trigger]
    #15649082 - 01/11/12 08:24 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

actually, I am an audiophile. My klipsh 200 watt RMS sound system has no problem recreating most music, but if I really want to pound I go out to the truck, where I have 1050 watts rms, two rockford fosgate amps, kicker components and 12's in my standard cab.
    The difference between 1 watt and 10 watts is only 10 db:shrug: so Even with extremely efficient speakers(lets say 95db/1w1m) your 20 watt system could still only put out less than 110 db. My muffler is that loud:lol:
    also, in order to get bass extension down to the lowest bass guitar note (40hz) (low E) you would have to either have a big woofer, (10 inches or more) or drive a smaller speaker(6-8 inches) close to it's xmax, which typically requires more than 20 watts

Edited by SomeGuy (01/11/12 08:57 AM)

OfflineGalaxie500
Rat Bastard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the road from Jesco
    #15649138 - 01/11/12 08:41 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

You've got your wattage to decibels conversion jumbled a bit. A DOUBLING in wattage yields a 3dB increase. So if you have speakers that have a sensitivity of 90db/w/m, 2W would yield 93dB, 4W 96dB, 8W 99dB, 16W 102dB, and so on...

I'm not going to get into the stereo discussion, there's too much I'd argue with... Head unit is always the first to go, IMO.

--------------------
Tact is for those who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic

OfflineSomeGuy
Male User Gallery

Re: Calling car stereo experts [Re: Galaxie500]
    #15649173 - 01/11/12 08:55 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

you're right, It's been a long time. I had electronics class in 95-96 :awesomenod: I'll fix it this was interesting
http://www.globalrph.com/multimedia.htm

InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15649307 - 01/11/12 09:35 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Galaxie500 said:
You've got your wattage to decibels conversion jumbled a bit. A DOUBLING in wattage yields a 3dB increase. So if you have speakers that have a sensitivity of 90db/w/m, 2W would yield 93dB, 4W 96dB, 8W 99dB, 16W 102dB, and so on...

I'm not going to get into the stereo discussion, there's too much I'd argue with... Head unit is always the first to go, IMO.

My only question is don't db's take twice as much power to reach the next db? i.e: 140-141?  Or does that start at a certain part in the W-RMS/air ratio range of a 100db+

Quote:

SomeGuy said:
actually, I am an audiophile. My klipsh 200 watt RMS sound system has no problem recreating most music, but if I really want to pound I go out to the truck, where I have 1050 watts rms, two rockford fosgate amps, kicker components and 12's in my standard cab.
    The difference between 1 watt and 10 watts is only 10 db:shrug: so Even with extremely efficient speakers(lets say 95db/1w1m) your 20 watt system could still only put out less than 110 db. My muffler is that loud:lol:
    also, in order to get bass extension down to the lowest bass guitar note (40hz) (low E) you would have to either have a big woofer, (10 inches or more) or drive a smaller speaker(6-8 inches) close to it's xmax, which typically requires more than 20 watts

"DING DING DING, We have a Winner with that one Magic Word RMS" just missing the words True and Constant before it.  Its really the only truth written on the side of an Amplifier/Speaker Box.

--------------------
Grow Room

Edited by drSE (01/11/12 09:36 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss
3,346 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.