Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewaltersobchak
Stranger

Question about Damion's elementary coir tek
    #15586862 - 12/29/11 11:55 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

In his original tek he leaves a little coir in the bucket to spread this on top of the coir/spawn mix when he's done.

I've seen some newer posts where folks just dump all the coir and spawn in the monotub and mix it up good, without putting the pure coir layer on top.

Do you guys just mix everything up and let er rip, or should I still follow Damion's method of covering the mix with a little coir from the bucket?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegref
Philosoraptor

Re: Question about Damion's elementary coir tek [Re: waltersobchak]
    #15587013 - 12/29/11 12:34 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I've recently done both methods you mentioned and the only difference I've noticed is that spreading coir on top just makes your tubs take longer to colonize. In my experience the tubs that were mixed with some exposed grains did not contaminate.

P.S. I would not try the "frosting layer" tek if you've seen it, it makes your tubs look colonized when they are not. I'd say mixing in your spawn and substrate evenly is the best method.

OfflineHartge
Enthusiast
Male

Re: Question about Damion's elementary coir tek [Re: waltersobchak]
    #15587024 - 12/29/11 12:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

P. Cubes do not require a casing layer to fruit, however, using one will definitely increase your yield and it encourages fruiting.

All in all there is no reason not to use a casing layer, and Damion's tek just prepares the substrate and casing at the same time.

Offlinegref
Philosoraptor

Re: Question about Damion's elementary coir tek [Re: Hartge]
    #15587067 - 12/29/11 12:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Hartge said:
P. Cubes do not require a casing layer to fruit, however, using one will definitely increase your yield and it encourages fruiting.

All in all there is no reason not to use a casing layer, and Damion's tek just prepares the substrate and casing at the same time.

Walter is not talking about a casing layer. In Damion's tek he puts an extra layer of substrate to cover up the colonized spawn because he says that the grains are likely to contam if exposed. However, I disagree. Colonized grains do not contaminate easily, and putting a layer of substrate on top makes the tubs take an extra week to colonize IME. That means the top layer is open for contams longer, so I think it's actually worse than mixing the spawn and substrate together evenly.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom