Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Melatonin

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineZardos
Stranger

Loc: Flag
Going to sleep late + waking up late = bad?
    #15559909 - 12/23/11 03:14 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

In my case, sleeping at 3-4am, waking up at around 2-3pm?

--------------------
December 1960:
"They took the drug one evening at Leary's house and had a profound experience, during which Ginsburg prophetically realized that it was a time to start "a peace and love movement". He then ran naked around the house, attempted to get Kruschev and Kennedy on the telephone and announced to the operator that he was God."

Edited by Zardos (12/23/11 03:20 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefoliocb
always running
Male

Re: Going to sleep late + waking up late = bad? [Re: Zardos]
    #15559920 - 12/23/11 03:18 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

depends on context. What constitutes sleeping 'late' and waking up 'late'? You're being too subjective with your wording.

--------------------
^v^

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery

#15559987 - 12/23/11 03:59 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

if your daily schedule allows you to sleep like this, i don't see a problem because you're getting more then enough hours in. if you want to correct your sleep schedule you can try to use melatonin. people tend to abuse this based on from some posts i've read on other websites, but it's typically used by those in the know who experience jet lag. it helps them get back on a normal sleep schedule once they get home. contrary to popular beliefs, melatonin doesn't help you sleep, it induces sleep, in other words it won't help maintain it. that's where serotonin comes in.

try giving melatonin a shot... take it an hour before you'd like to fall asleep and see what happens. use no more then 5mg though, people do seem to take more then that. i've read about it in other forums, people taking as much as 20mg. by doing this you may develop other issues... give it a week, if it works, cool, continue using it for another week then begin to taper off. the pineal gland produces melatonin by converting a small mount of serotonin. i doubt your low on serotonin, because your able to stay asleep at other times, but you never can tell when it comes to these things. the brain is mysterious... if you try this, update the thread and let us know how you made out...

you're what some endearingly call a night owl...

happy holidays...

Kensho :psychsplit:

OfflineZardos
Stranger

Re: Going to sleep late + waking up late = bad? [Re: cateyes]
    #15560000 - 12/23/11 04:05 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for the reply! I will try it out :smile:

--------------------
December 1960:
"They took the drug one evening at Leary's house and had a profound experience, during which Ginsburg prophetically realized that it was a time to start "a peace and love movement". He then ran naked around the house, attempted to get Kruschev and Kennedy on the telephone and announced to the operator that he was God."

Invisiblemoonrockmushy
certifiedpoopface

#15560088 - 12/23/11 05:21 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Just going by personal experience I would say that it is better to have a schedule that is based around sunlight.  I started staying up late and sleeping in because I wanted to have more time to myself, to get obsessive about whatever I was doing: reading, computer, drinking, getting high, anything that was not productive.  To me it was like time that others don't use so I could do whatever I wanted, this is mostly why I think it was bad for me, picked up lots of bad habits.

I think it is pretty important to spend time outside and get sunlight most days, this is why it is good to be getting up in the AM.  Other than that there's no real health risks as longs as you keep a regular schedule and are otherwise healthy.

The trick is finding a way to get back on a "normal" schedule once you have become offset, I haven't figured out an easy way for that. Sometimes trying to fix my sleep schedule in one day can cause alot of stress.  Yours sounds pretty normal actually, I am jealous that you are able to get that much sleep.  I rarely get over 4-5 hours but these days I am just happy to be able to sleep most every day, wasn't always like that.

--------------------
:bluemoon::hairmetal::mushroom:

OfflineZardos
Stranger

Re: Going to sleep late + waking up late = bad? [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #15560112 - 12/23/11 05:39 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Im on christmas break so I completely messed up my cycle! >_<

Btw I do sleep alot on days like this, but I still wake up groggy at times

--------------------
December 1960:

InvisibleUmeltin
Gregory

Re: Going to sleep late + waking up late = bad? [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #15560114 - 12/23/11 05:41 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

dude its almost 6 am here and im still not tired,probably wont sleep til about 9-10 and i have to wake up before 3. i hate this schedule. it seems i spend most of my time awake while everyone is sleeping. shit is getting old.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #15560151 - 12/23/11 06:28 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I used to be a night person, not getting to bed until 3:00am to 4:00am, like you.  Around ten years ago, I switched to being a morning person... without trying, it just happened.  I now get up around 4:30am, without using an alarm, and go to bed around 10:30pm.  I have no idea why the switch happened, but I have noticed one thing- consistency is key, especially on weekends when I have the option to stay up late and sleep in.  Instead, I get up at the same time, which usually puts me to bed at the same time.  If I stay up later than normal for a social event, I tend to get up at the same time as always, but end up taking a nap sometime the next day.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Anonymous #1

Re: Going to sleep late + waking up late = bad? [Re: Seuss]
    #15564237 - 12/23/11 10:53 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

i used to be a night owl, staying up until 4-6am every night and such.

this quote from moonrockrushy explains it perfectly : "I started staying up late and sleeping in because I wanted to have more time to myself, to get obsessive about whatever I was doing: reading, computer, drinking, getting high, anything that was not productive.  To me it was like time that others don't use so I could do whatever I wanted, this is mostly why I think it was bad for me, picked up lots of bad habits."

once i starting going to sleep at 11 or 12 and waking up at 9am or so, i began to feel so much incredibly better. it was also great to be in sunlight more rather than always living in darkness. definitely feels a lot healthier. now i'm actually on a regular schedule and i feel a lot more rested.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Melatonin

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being