Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline2 cats freckles
Just wondering
Male

Loc: Someplace West of Jesus a...
Flipping jars
    #15532624 - 12/17/11 09:27 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I have flipped my jars upside down to see if the mycelium will grow upwards to cover the bottoms.  Anybody see a problem with this?

--------------------
When I looked up, the clouds shimmered....when I looked up again, they were gone, followed by the sound of distant shattering crystals

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleUmeltin
Gregory

Re: Flipping jars [Re: 2 cats freckles]
    #15532656 - 12/17/11 09:34 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i do this all the time when the jars take forever to colonize the bottoms.

OfflineKoD
Vive liber
Male

Re: Flipping jars [Re: Umeltin]
    #15532675 - 12/17/11 09:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If you put a layer of vermiculite on the top to protect against contamination you lose that benefit by flipping/shaking.

Offlineroaddog
turnip
Male User Gallery

Loc: third rock from the sun Flag
    #15532681 - 12/17/11 09:40 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

2 cats freckles said:
I have flipped my jars upside down to see if the mycelium will grow upwards to cover the bottoms.  Anybody see a problem with this?

Its doable, but could be a little risky.

Offlinejim617
untrusted cultivator
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Flipping jars [Re: roaddog]
    #15532701 - 12/17/11 09:47 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I remember when I was first learning PFtek I was told to flip my jars, there was a lot of talk about flipping jars to get them to colonize faster, not sure if that was ever proven though. I have flipped my jars in the past with no problems but I am more patiant now.
be careful, sometimes once you flip your jars , then re-flip them back up, the dry verm layer tends to fall down the side of the jar. thats not good.

--------------------
MrFunGuy: "I figured if I put a 15lb cinder block on top of the pot lid that it would cook @15 psi."[]

Offline2 cats freckles
Just wondering
Male

Re: Flipping jars [Re: jim617]
    #15532748 - 12/17/11 10:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Well, it seems to be accelerating the colonization.  I think the risk is if I turn them back over.  I should probably keep them upside down now until birthing.

--------------------
When I looked up, the clouds shimmered....when I looked up again, they were gone, followed by the sound of distant shattering crystals

OfflineKoD
Vive liber
Male

#15532765 - 12/17/11 10:08 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

2 cats freckles said:
Well, it seems to be accelerating the colonization.  I think the risk is if I turn them back over.  I should probably keep them upside down now until birthing.

That sounds like a good idea. Here's a relevant RR quote for other readers.
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
When you examine them, don't turn them upside down.  That can cause the verm barrier to shift.  You can expect there to be contaminant spores near the air/inoculation holes, and if you shift the jar around, those mold spores can be shifted down and into the substrate, contaminating it.

InvisibleUmeltin
Gregory

Re: Flipping jars [Re: KoD]
    #15532781 - 12/17/11 10:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

yeah that does sound like its risky. but i do this every batch and never had a contam:shrug:. i read on here somewhere it makes it colonize faster when you flip it because of the ge.

maybe try it out on just a couple jars and see how it goes. what might work for me might not work for you.

OfflineKoD
Vive liber
Male

#15532788 - 12/17/11 10:14 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I shake my PF Jars at ~30%, hasn't contam'd yet. :bigjoint:

Offlinejim617
untrusted cultivator
 User Gallery

#15532860 - 12/17/11 10:31 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

KoD said:

you shake your PF jars?

--------------------
MrFunGuy: "I figured if I put a 15lb cinder block on top of the pot lid that it would cook @15 psi."[]

OfflineKoD
Vive liber
Male

#15532882 - 12/17/11 10:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jim617 said:
you shake your PF jars?

Yes, they colonize faster. Chunks of the mycelium spread around the jar and branch out gaining more points to expand from. This results in it covering more surface area quicker (and with better coverage in my experiences). I keep a very clean environment so contamination hasn't been an issue.

Offlinejim617
untrusted cultivator
 User Gallery

#15532940 - 12/17/11 10:57 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

KoD said:
Quote:

jim617 said:
you shake your PF jars?

Yes, they colonize faster. Chunks of the mycelium spread around the jar and branch out gaining more points to expand from. This results in it covering more surface area quicker (and with better coverage in my experiences). I keep a very clean environment so contamination hasn't been an issue.

are you using a dry verm layer or are you using grain lids for your cakes?  if your shaking pf cakes with the standard verm layer then youve been very lucky to not get a contam. a properly made cake shouldnt even have that much room for shaking.

--------------------

InvisibleUmeltin
Gregory

#15532990 - 12/17/11 11:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jim617 said:
Quote:

KoD said:
Quote:

jim617 said:
you shake your PF jars?

are you using a dry verm layer or are you using grain lids for your cakes?  if your shaking pf cakes with the standard verm layer then youve been very lucky to not get a contam. a properly made cake shouldnt even have that much room for shaking.

yeah i dont see how that would work either. is the cake even a cake when fully colonized or is it just a loose clump of mycelium? i could shake my jars all day and nothing would move inside. but if you mean grain jars then thats different

OfflineKoD
Vive liber
Male

#15533004 - 12/17/11 11:15 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jim617 said:

I keep a dry verm layer on top and use a Tyvek filter disc, usually i end up breaking the substrate in half, but mycelium still spreads around very well. The gap fills with a very large frosting of mycelium for sure :smile: A lot of mushrooms usually form around there.

My jars break up pretty good because I have many other ingredients in the substrate.
:toast:

Offlinetrophycase
Dickface

#15533012 - 12/17/11 11:17 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I've heard you can be fairly safe flipping them as long as you flip once and leave it that way. Don't flip your jars 20 times back and forth examining them.

--------------------
All of the cultivation photos uploaded by this account were taken in an area of the globe where such practices are legal and uninhibited.

InvisibleUmeltin
Gregory

Re: Flipping jars [Re: trophycase]
    #15533029 - 12/17/11 11:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

trophycase said:
I've heard you can be fairly safe flipping them as long as you flip once and leave it that way. Don't flip your jars 20 times back and forth examining them.

yup thats about the same thing i read. i just flip once and leave it til its done colonizing and consolidating

OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Loc: Passing through the bulk Flag
    #15533183 - 12/18/11 12:09 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I've heard this, and vehemently disagree, not just empiracally, but theoretically as well.

The verm layer serves a single purpose, to protect against unwanted airborne contaminants. It does this by two factors.

1. Volume of undesirable bacterial/fungal food. Dry vermiculate, or at least very low moisturized vermiculite is a very poor food source for most bacteria and fungi. Thus the sheer volume (area multiplied by mass) of vermiculite is a deterant of contamination because it doesn't, inately, contain much of what is needed to purport those organisms.

2. Physical barrier for contaminants. Much on the same wavelength, this is related to vermiculite's available air space, physical space, or, it's volume. Because there is so much space and empty crevasses in verm, it's an ideal absorber of physical particulates. Due to many electrical and physical forces which i, very honestly, don't fully understand myself, particulates in the air (not bacteria or fungal spores themselves, but the much larger particles they're attached and tethered too) adhere to the spaces and surfaces in verm, and other filters.

This principle is made MUCH more valid when using filter disks, or tyvek, or anything that can otherwise hinder the flow of free air between the filtered parts, which verm doesn't do. Because it inherently has spaces between itself, verm isn't the best choice for filtering, because a majority of the larges particles will take the least path of resistance, which of course is between the verm itself.

It's the combination of the two, plus the virtual sterility of the substrate matched with the immense amount of spores most inoculate their jars with, that give our PF experiments such high success rates.

Both of these factors are independent of gravity (or "which way the jars is flipped", however you look at it. And i have. :sun:

--------------------
Will all the big boomers please unveil, please unveil, please unveil.

Offline2 cats freckles
Just wondering
Male

#15533193 - 12/18/11 12:10 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Shaking these would be pointless, except to encourage the verm layer on top to slip down the sides, then I would be screwed

--------------------

OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Loc: Passing through the bulk Flag
    #15533212 - 12/18/11 12:17 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I've heard this, and vehemently disagree, not just empiracally, but theoretically as well.

The verm layer serves a single purpose, to protect against unwanted airborne contaminants. It does this by two factors.

1. Volume of undesirable bacterial/fungal food. Dry vermiculate, or at least very low moisturized vermiculite is a very poor food source for most bacteria and fungi. Thus the sheer volume (area multiplied by mass) of vermiculite is a deterant of contamination because it doesn't, inately, contain much of what is needed to purport those organisms.

2. Physical barrier for contaminants. Much on the same wavelength, this is related to vermiculite's available air space, physical space, or, it's volume. Because there is so much space and empty crevasses in verm, it's an ideal absorber of physical particulates. Due to many electrical and physical forces which i, very honestly, don't fully understand myself, particulates in the air (not bacteria or fungal spores themselves, but the much larger particles they're attached and tethered too) adhere to the spaces and surfaces in verm, and other filters.

This principle is made MUCH more valid when using filter disks, or tyvek, or anything that can otherwise hinder the flow of free air between the filtered parts, which verm doesn't do. Because it inherently has spaces between itself, verm isn't the best choice for filtering, because a majority of the larges particles will take the least path of resistance, which of course is between the verm itself.

It's the combination of the two, plus the virtual sterility of the substrate matched with the immense amount of spores most inoculate their jars with, that give our PF experiments such high success rates.

Both of these factors are independent of gravity or, "which way the jars is flipped", however you look at it. And i have. :sun:

--------------------
Will all the big boomers please unveil, please unveil, please unveil.

Invisiblewildernessjunkie
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Trusted Cultivator
    #15533242 - 12/18/11 12:30 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

KoD said:

Dont do this.

Also, only flip jars that have stalled. And once you flip, leave them flipped. Dont turn them right side up again.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract