Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCid2112
Newb
Male

Loc: Ohio
Ready to jump in, I think I have everything to get started (w/Pics)
    #15261909 - 10/22/11 01:57 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The wife and I Love mushrooms, and I am getting very displeased at the price, selection and quality of the mushrooms form our local market.  So I started looking into growing my own.  So that's whats brought me here to this magnificent site to learn and maybe someday master the cultivation of gourmet mushrooms. 

First off I want to say... What a GREAT Community This Is!  I can't thank the founding members and all the folks that contribute here enough for having IMO the Best Mycology Community site there is.  The wealth of information here is near endless and I am looking forward to doing what I can to support and contribute to this awesome site. 

After lurking around here for the last month or so, and reading hundreds of threads, I started getting all my equipment together and now I am ready to dive into this Head First.  Wow...What have it got myself into? 

Equipment I have bought so far;

PC Presto 23qt

Various size syringes, surgical masks, latex gloves, gauze sponges, alcohol burner, isopropyl and denatured alcohol, spray and squirt bottle.

Half gallon, quart, pint, and half pint wide mouth jars, jar funnel, plastic lids, lid gaskets, SFD's,  whatman filters, and inoculation rubber stoppers.

For my glove box, 103qt box, Plexiglas, silicone, 4 inch PVC with covers.

One LC syringe of Pleurotus pulmonarius Phoenix Oyster and one Free bounce LC of Stropharia rugosoannulata Garden Giant

I am looking to trade the Garden Giant syringe, as I wont use it, looking for Pleurotus eryngii King Oyster or  Shiitake Lentinula edodes (Shitake 75) in trade.

2 bales of wheat straw, 1 bag of Rye, 1 bag of hard wood pellets and some free gypsum board.

Our dog Sheba, she likes mushrooms to.

4 shelf green house and 2 cool air humidifiers form Salvation Army.  The brown one on the right has  2 gallon tank and puts out almost twice as much mist.

Perlite for the bottom tray of the green house if I decide to use it.

Still on order, dial hygrometer / thermometer, tyvek sleeves, inoculation loop, scalpel and blades, petri dishes agar, test tubes, and poly tubing.

Don't know how much work this is going turn out to be, but my goal is to harvest a pound or two weekly.  I will be starting off with the Phoenix Oyster, then move to the Shitake and or the King Oyster.

Well I am off to get started making my glove box and jar lids, I will post post pics here when I am done. 

Can't wait to knock-up my first jar of rye for the GLC.

--------------------
Cid

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledtowntoker
gimme a spliff
Re: Ready to jump in, I think I have everything to get started (w/Pics) [Re: Cid2112]
    #15261942 - 10/22/11 02:03 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You're setting up well, I have a feeling you'll be very successful in your mushroom growing endeavours

--------------------

Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Ready to jump in, I think I have everything to get started (w/Pics) [Re: dtowntoker]
    #15261948 - 10/22/11 02:06 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Get ready for hard work, I like the dog btw.

--------------------

InvisibleEvilMushroom666
Heretic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ready to jump in, I think I have everything to get started (w/Pics) [Re: Cid2112]
    #15261951 - 10/22/11 02:07 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Looks like you are off to a good start!

If you are looking for some learning tools I would suggest:

Roger Rabbit's "Lets Grow Mushrooms DVD"
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms by Paul Stamets
Mycelium Running by Paul Stamets

Also be sure to check out the Gourmet and Edible section of the forums
for more information on edibles, grow logs, methods, etc etc. The Mushroom
cultivation forum is mostly for active species containing psilocybin.

InvisibleTranscendingLife
I Don't Need a Life to Live
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ready to jump in, I think I have everything to get started (w/Pics) [Re: audiophoenix]
    #15261957 - 10/22/11 02:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Looks great.

What are the 1/2 gallon jars for?

There's an SAB design/tek in my signature.
I've got a lid tek in my signature & some other useful information in the AMU Q&A Link in my sig, too.

Welcome to the shroomery.

--------------------
AMU: We Quickly Answer Questions Here
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs
"You are as dead now as you will ever be" - Seth

Invisiblesavage.renegade
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bay area
Re: Ready to jump in, I think I have everything to get started (w/Pics) [Re: EvilMushroom666]
    #15262008 - 10/22/11 02:18 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Good luck with your grow:goodluck:
Are you fruiting your oysters in bags?
The half gallon jars worked fine for me with oysters because of how aggressive the mycelium is.

--------------------

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

Re: Ready to jump in, I think I have everything to get started (w/Pics) [Re: savage.renegade]
    #15262059 - 10/22/11 02:29 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

holy cow thats quite a jump you just took!

goodluck brother!!

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

OfflineCid2112
Newb
Male

Re: Ready to jump in, I think I have everything to get started (w/Pics) [Re: savage.renegade]
    #15264931 - 10/23/11 05:00 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Quote:

EvilMushroom666 said:
Looks like you are off to a good start!

If you are looking for some learning tools I would suggest:

Roger Rabbit's "Lets Grow Mushrooms DVD"
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms by Paul Stamets
Mycelium Running by Paul Stamets

Also be sure to check out the Gourmet and Edible section of the forums
for more information on edibles, grow logs, methods, etc etc. The Mushroom
cultivation forum is mostly for active species containing psilocybin.

Thanks for the info EM, i do have and read, Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms and alos The Mushroom Cultivator by Paul Stamets

Quote:

TranscendingLife said:
Looks great.

What are the 1/2 gallon jars for?

There's an SAB design/tek in my signature.
I've got a lid tek in my signature & some other useful information in the AMU Q&A Link in my sig, too.

Welcome to the shroomery.

Tl,
The 1/2 gallon jars were intended to be used for bran suplemented sawdust for King Oyster's but on further study i may do block/bags.  I was also thinking to use them for rye spawn because i can get 4 1/2gal jars in my PC and only 7qt jars, so i get an extra qt per PC load.

Quote:

savage.renegade said:
Good luck with your grow:goodluck:
Are you fruiting your oysters in bags?
The half gallon jars worked fine for me with oysters because of how aggressive the mycelium is.

savage.renegade,
I will be using 2/3gal buckets and or logs/bags for my oysters

--------------------
Cid

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15265993 - 10/23/11 12:08 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

1/2 gallon jars are prone to stall w/ grains.
If you're inoculating them, use a strong iso you've got going & G2G into it @ a high ratio.

--------------------
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs

Invisiblesavage.renegade
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bay area
Re: Ready to jump in, I think I have everything to get started (w/Pics) [Re: TranscendingLife]
    #15266919 - 10/23/11 03:00 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You can fit 9 quarts in that pc by laying two on top.
I guess the half gallons could stall but i haven't seen it even with cubensis multispore.
I do like to grain to grain transfer into them though because it does cut down time in the glovebox.

--------------------

OfflineCid2112
Newb
Male

#15269486 - 10/24/11 03:48 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

TranscendingLife said:
1/2 gallon jars are prone to stall w/ grains.
If you're inoculating them, use a strong iso you've got going & G2G into it @ a high ratio.

Quote:

savage.renegade said:
You can fit 9 quarts in that pc by laying two on top.
I guess the half gallons could stall but i haven't seen it even with cubensis multispore.
I do like to grain to grain transfer into them though because it does cut down time in the glovebox.

Thanks for the feedback, I will hold off on the 1/2gal jars for now.

I see what you mean, I can actually fit 10qt jars in my PC just a little tight and touching the sides, I will go with 9.

--------------------
Cid

OfflineCid2112
Newb
Male

#15269498 - 10/24/11 03:55 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I finished up making my lids last night, 4 with whatman filters for GLC and 12 with 3/8" hole with SFD.  Glove box is next. 

--------------------
Cid

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15270705 - 10/24/11 11:49 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

nice dude. Don't worry about the jars touching the sides of your PC.
Load 10 in that bitch if you can.
Here's my PC loaded w/ some of my "no-tilt" jars.
Notice the ones on the bottom are touching the side of the PC.
My SAB tek in my signature is perfect for ya.

--------------------

OfflineCid2112
Newb
Male

Re: Ready to jump in, I think I have everything to get started (w/Pics) [Re: TranscendingLife]
    #15412198 - 11/23/11 09:26 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Finally had some time to get my SAB done, 60 hour weeks are getting old.  Have this weekend off ...so far, and I will be able to start my GLC. 

Thanks TL For the TEK, I will be using Tyvek sleeves but not attaching them. 

--------------------
Cid

Offlinesmily
lookin 4 my ass wit both handz
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Lee HO FooKs
    #15412239 - 11/23/11 09:36 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Wow Wat a setup !!!!! Can't wait till ya start using all yer cool new gear.

Only thing comes to mind seeing all that gear..........

ATTACK

GL

:smile:

--------------------

CrAnKy PiLlOwS YeAh PiLlOwS

Invisiblescags
Scientific Enthusiast

Loc: northeast
Re: Ready to jump in, I think I have everything to get started (w/Pics) [Re: smily]
    #15412253 - 11/23/11 09:42 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i noticed that your .5pt jars look like they have a inward taper; are you planning on using them for cakes? If so, you may have a little trouble getting the cake out of the jar. Beyond that, it looks like you started off on the right foot!

--------------------
No posting executed under this name is intended to imply, condone, motivate, facilitate,encourage, and/or assist in any illegal activity. All activities/procedures discussed by me are are intended to be legal, scientific endeavors in hobby mycology, working with only legal cultures/specimens. I am not aware of any criminal intent and/or use of illegal substances in regards to anything discussed. I have no intent to commit, facilitate, or assist a crime by any discussion I view and/or participate in. Don't follow my advice if that is your intent.

Offlinesmily
lookin 4 my ass wit both handz
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Lee HO FooKs
Re: Ready to jump in, I think I have everything to get started (w/Pics) [Re: scags]
    #15412297 - 11/23/11 09:58 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Don't wanna start a battle, just a small method question.....

Are u sure about letting jars touch the sides ???  In the video RR Advises to keep even the bottom of jars outta the boiling h2o using lid rings to raise them up.

Won't prolonged super heating thru contact with h2o and PC sides weaken the jar and lead to more jar failure????

Cause BRF jars get over cooked at bottom wen in contact with boiling h2o anyway. 

Or did I miss something ?

--------------------

CrAnKy PiLlOwS YeAh PiLlOwS

OfflineKeyser Soze

Loc: Canada
Re: Ready to jump in, I think I have everything to get started (w/Pics) [Re: smily]
    #15412323 - 11/23/11 10:08 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Welcome to the boards Cid, looks like your off to a great start.
I have the same PC as you and I have no problems fitting in 10 liter jars in there. But if your overly concerned about PC space maybe consider going with bags? As we speak I have the PC filled with 4 4L bags, each of which weighing in at a whopping 2825 grams :smile: Just seems more efficient to me, my PC space is very precious.

--------------------
"A spook story that criminals tell their kids at night."
                                                Roger "Verbal" Kint

OfflineCid2112
Newb
Male

#15412339 - 11/23/11 10:13 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

smily said:
Wow Wat a setup !!!!! Can't wait till ya start using all yer cool new gear.

Only thing comes to mind seeing all that gear..........

ATTACK

GL

Thanks

Quote:

scags said:
i noticed that your .5pt jars look like they have a inward taper; are you planning on using them for cakes? If so, you may have a little trouble getting the cake out of the jar. Beyond that, it looks like you started off on the right foot!

No no not doing cakes, the 1/2 pt jars are for agar in place of petri dishes

Quote:

smily said:
Don't wanna start a battle, just a small method question.....

Are u sure about letting jars touch the sides ???  In the video RR Advises to keep even the bottom of jars outta the boiling h2o using lid rings to raise them up.

Won't prolonged super heating thru contact with h2o and PC sides weaken the jar and lead to more jar failure????

Cause BRF jars get over cooked at bottom wen in contact with boiling h2o anyway. 

Or did I miss something ?

Dont know maybe TL can shed some light on this

--------------------
Cid

OfflineCid2112
Newb
Male

Re: Ready to jump in, I think I have everything to get started (w/Pics) [Re: Keyser Soze]
    #15412349 - 11/23/11 10:15 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Putting 10 jars in do you let top row touch the sides of the PC or do you insulate the jars some how?

--------------------
Cid

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies