Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Former FBI chief in Seattle endorses marijuana legalization initiative * 1
    #15369535 - 11/14/11 02:55 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Former FBI chief in Seattle endorses marijuana legalization initiative
November 14, 2011 - SeattleTimes.com

Charlie Mandigo is not a household name, but the former Special Agent in Charge for Seattle’s FBI office is well-known with law enforcement. In his 27-year FBI career, he led investigations against Ahmed Ressam, “Millennium Bomber” caught at Port Angeles, white supremacists in North Idaho and countless drug smuggling cases.

Now retired and in the private sector, Mandigo believes it is time to change course on the 74-year-old federal ban on marijuana and has endorsed a proposed state initiative, I-502, which would legalize small amounts of marijuana and regulate sales in state-run pot stores. Mandigo describes drug laws as “discretionary” public policy that are too expensive and carry to many unintended consequences.

In a statement, Mandigo writes:

There is no question the time has come when government must curtail discretionary programs. If the resources were available, continued enforcement of criminal laws for possession and use of small amounts of marijuana might be a discretionary function of government. But we have gone beyond the point where the resources are available or there is a justifiable cost-benefit to society. There must be an end to sacred cows.

Mandigo joins a growing group of retired federal law enforcement to endorse the New Approach campaign attempting to send I-502 to the state Legislature in January. Former U.S. Attorney for Seattle Kate Pflaumer, a Clinton appointee, joined a successor in that office, John McKay, a George W. Bush appointee, as a New Approach sponsor over the weekend.

In an interview, Mandigo said he endorsed the measure because of New Approach’s conservative approach to marijuana regulation. The complex, 64-page initiative would not strip away police authority for drug smuggling or street-level dealing, and keeps the existing ban on marijuana possession for persons under 21. “ I’m not aware of any case I worked on that this law would have changed,” he said. He said he does not condone the use of illegal drugs.

But he believes it’s time to have a frank discussion about the costs of marijuana enforcement. “Governments, local, state and federal, need to sit down and be realistic about what money they have, and what do they want to spend it on. This is one that law enforcement can sit down and decide if we want to spend money on. Just because they can spend money on (marijuana enforcement), it doesn’t mean we should.”

Mandigo, a Cornell Law graduate, served as congressional liaison to former FBI director Louis Freeh, and understands the politics of drug enforcement well. He, like McKay, said if I-502 passes, it would not unravel the federal-state conflict. “Should I-502 pass, it doesn’t give anyone automatic immunity. But it makes a very strong political statement that a concesus of opinion.”

According to the group Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, other former federal law enforcement officials who have come out for marijuana legalization include former Illinois U.S. Attorney Thomas Sullivan; the former head of the FBI’s Jacksonville, Fla., office, Mike Kahoe, and senior federal judge John L. Kane of Denver.

If I-502 gathers enough signatures – as expected – it will go to the 2012 state Legislature, where lawmakers can pass it or kick it to the November 2012 general election.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineguest1
Mycena
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Former FBI chief in Seattle endorses marijuana legalization initiative [Re: veggie]
    #15370056 - 11/14/11 05:00 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

:congrats::bow2:

Reply to comment below:
Yes, I hate the stereotype they have for cannabis users being a "stupid smelly hippy".:shake:
I know someone who actually believes that cannabis kills brain cells, just like alcohol. :facepalm:
I tried to explain that there are studies about it being "neuro-protective" and "anti-tumor" and so on, but as long as it is illegal, this person believes it is as harmful as alcohol.:nonono:

Edited by guest1 (11/15/11 02:51 AM)

OfflineYouBiffed
Male

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: Former FBI chief in Seattle endorses marijuana legalization initiative [Re: guest1]
    #15371195 - 11/14/11 08:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

If i were to guess this initiative has a lot of backing. Including the democratic party. If we are successful in getting enough signatures, i imagine it would pass. With this sort of backing, we more importantly gain legitimacy. Throwing out old stereotypes is already happening and is a important part of the marijuana legalization movement.

--------------------

]

Offlinebloodsheen
ChemChaplin
Male User Gallery

Re: Former FBI chief in Seattle endorses marijuana legalization initiative [Re: YouBiffed]
    #15373115 - 11/15/11 05:44 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Former former former! I so fucking tired of everyone that supports this shit publicly being former somethings! Nothing gets done if all the smart people with power keep their mouths shut

--------------------

A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale