Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims
    #15281891 - 10/26/11 06:32 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims
October 26, 2011 - Huffington Post

WASHINGTON -- U.S. attorneys have a message for California's medical marijuana advocates: Don't blame Barack Obama. After it was announced that the crackdown on medical pot establishments in the Golden State was a collective decision by the four U.S. attorneys in California and not the result of any directive from Washington, spokeswoman Lauren Horwood emphasized that the administration never even green-lighted the ramped-up enforcement actions.

The only D.C.-based official with whom California U.S. attorneys coordinated, Horwood said, was Deputy Attorney General James Cole, who was chosen by Attorney General Eric Holder, an Obama appointee.

"He's the one who provided the quote for our press release, and he's chosen by Eric Holder," Horwood told HuffPost in an interview. "But we didn't have direct talks with Eric Holder -- not that we wouldn't, he's been out and visited -- but just the way the Department of Justice works, he's not that hands-on on these kinds of details."

An article by Phoenix Times reporter Ray Stern claimed Horwood acknowledged that California's U.S. attorneys received "Obama's blessing" in implementing the crackdown. But in an interview with The Huffington Post, Horwood, a spokeswoman for U.S. Attorney Benjamin Wagner in California's Eastern District, distanced herself from that language.

"What I said, or at least meant to say, was that the U.S. Attorneys in California saw the need for coordinated enforcement actions and spoke with folks in Main Justice in D.C. (not the Obama Administration)," she told HuffPost in an email.

Cole declined to attend any California press conferences on the issue not, Horwood insisted, because he was distancing himself from the crackdown, but because California is a long way to travel.

California voters approved the use of medical marijuana in 1996 with the passage of Prop. 215, later named the Compassionate Use Act, which allows patients to possess and cultivate cannabis with a doctor's permission. The law has been interpreted many times since then. In City of Garden Grove v. Superior Court in 2007, the trial court sided with the patient, finding that it "is not the job of local police to enforce the federal drug law." A California Supreme Court ruling in 2010 found that residents may grow or possess "reasonable amounts" of marijuana with a doctor's permission.

But under federal law there are no such allowances.

Obama as a candidate promised to maintain a hands-off approach toward pot clinics that adhered to state law, with Attorney General Eric Holder publicly asserting that federal prosecutors would not initiate enforcement actions against any patients or providers in compliance with state law, deeming it an inefficient use of scarce government resources.

Such language didn't stop federal prosecutors from launching an attack on medical marijuana shop owners earlier this month, vowing to shutter state-licensed marijuana dispensaries regulated by local governments and threatening landlords with property seizures.

State Senator Mark Leno (D) has joined Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco) in requesting meetings with the Department of Justice and the Internal Revenue Service to discuss the reasons behind the crackdown.

So far their requests have gone unanswered. "They're talking amongst themselves," said Ammiano of federal prosecutors, "and really causing tremendous, unnecessary chilling effects."

Steve DeAngelo of Oakland medical cannabis club Harborside Health Center said such effects may be the end goal.

"Federal prosecutors are not trying to clean up the regulated medical cannabis industry, they are trying to destroy it," he said at a Tuesday press conference in San Francisco. "Their real target is not criminal gangs, but rather the systems of licensing and regulation implemented by dozens of communities state-wide. This is destroying tens of thousands of jobs and hundreds of millions of tax dollars in local, state and federal tax revenue."

The crackdown comes even as 50 percent of Americans favor legalizing marijuana, according to a recently released Gallup poll, up from just 36 percent in 2006.

When asked to respond to the claim that the Obama administration isn't implicated in the decision, Ammiano was indignant.

"Somebody's going to have to fall on their sword about this," he said. "This is becoming more of a mainstream issue. I mean, this was really a mistake."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTieACable2aTree
Humble Hardworking Dude
Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims *DELETED* [Re: veggie] * 1
    #15281954 - 10/26/11 06:52 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by TieACable2aTree

Reason for deletion: g

--------------------
"What ever happened to all these flashbacks we were supposed to get?  I might demand my money back!" Ken Kesey

Edited by TieACable2aTree (10/26/11 07:06 PM)

Offlinemarmarwoohoo
Male

Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: TieACable2aTree]
    #15282022 - 10/26/11 07:04 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

He won't get my vote either. I'm not really sure who will at this point.  Maybe ill just write in 'Mary Jane, Fuck this Game'

Invisibleanunnakian
 User Gallery

Loc: State of Jefferson
Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: veggie]
    #15282421 - 10/26/11 08:31 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

U.S. attorneys have a message for California's medical marijuana advocates: Don't blame Barack Obama.

Because he still need your vote.
Damage control anyone.

OfflineMGMT
Not A Stranger

Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: anunnakian]
    #15282527 - 10/26/11 08:49 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, constantly amazed at how the federal government reminds me of elementary school playground talk.
Stick your fingers in your ears and go "lalalalalalala".

--------------------
Ron Paul 2012

OfflineOdd_Nonposter
Unrecognizable
Male

Loc: Ohio Flag
Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: MGMT]
    #15282782 - 10/26/11 09:43 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Obama is ultimately responsible for is appointees' appointees' appointees'... so the blame does rest on him eventually. It's now his responsibility to fire the guys who strayed from his policy. If somebody doesn't get fired over this whole scandal, I'll be pretty pissed. Scratch that, I'll still be pissed because those affected by this shit won't ever be granted amnesty or be compensated.

Tinfoil time! :tinfoil:
I'm betting that this is a political conspiracy. Once Obama cleans up this mess, he'll be "reaffirming" his position on MMJ, making him look better to pro-cannabis voters so he can get reelected.

If it's true, then it's really disgusting. Arresting innocents and seizing property in order to achieve political ends. Now if that doesn't say tyranny, then I don't know what does.

--------------------
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
-Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Invisibleuber_aj
Goodbye Shroomery!
Male

Loc: Much love to you all
Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims *DELETED* [Re: veggie]
    #15283734 - 10/27/11 12:48 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by uber_aj

Reason for deletion: .

InvisibleShr00mZ
Space Invader

Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: uber_aj]
    #15284173 - 10/27/11 02:31 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

If politicans want to fight a war. Why dont you fight a war against the people who dont want legalization?

--------------------

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: anunnakian]
    #15284650 - 10/27/11 06:29 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

anunnakian said:
Damage control anyone.

I agree 100%.  Obama could end this unpopular and unseemly governmental thievery with ONE phone call.  Make the call B.O. or you've lost my vote and a shit-ton of others.

N.B.

--------------------
All submitted posts are by Someone Who Isn't Me (SWIM) -  and in any event are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I no longer answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend, so don't bother.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread...no exceptions.  Anyone with less than 1,000 posts is automatically assumed to be a cop.

InvisibledwpinealM
Psychedelic Artist
 User Gallery

Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: Nature Boy]
    #15285205 - 10/27/11 11:33 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Nature Boy said:
Quote:

anunnakian said:
Damage control anyone.

I agree 100%.  Obama could end this unpopular and unseemly governmental thievery with ONE phone call.  Make the call B.O.

N.B.

Unfortunately I cannot vote as my voting rights have been taken away as part of the movement to dis-enfranchise cannabis smokers. By taking away the rights of people convicted of marijuana crimes, they make it so that the people affected by the laws can no longer have a say in how the laws are written and enforced...I cannot get them back in my state, (tried several times. but I promote to those who can...

Offlineguest1
Mycena
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: dwpineal]
    #15285417 - 10/27/11 12:37 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Obama won't get my vote in 2012, he lost my trust.
Ron Paul 2012.

Invisiblegamer4life
Natures Child
Male

Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: guest1] * 1
    #15286905 - 10/27/11 05:55 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

guest1 said:
Obama won't get my vote in 2012, he lost my trust.
Ron Paul 2012.

Yea Yea ,  We can rise if Ron Paul takes office, but we also must get the congress that Ron would need to get the job done.

Ron Paul 2012

--------------------
Legalize!
  Stop putting our children in prisons.

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery

Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: TieACable2aTree]
    #15290679 - 10/28/11 02:09 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Obama lost my vote years ago when he escalated the wars in iraq and afghanistan... recently he announces he's pulling the troops from iraq by years end... that was a reelection ploy, just like his justice department trying to distance themselves from these dispensary raids... SHAME ON OBAMA... if his base returns to re-elect him they will be disappointed once again we he redeploys troops back into iraq... Obama turned out to be quite the scumbag... he's as close an ally to wall street and big business as any republican is... in my opinion the best man for the office is dennis kucinich, a man who is basically ignored in congress because they know he's right on issues... he truly cares for the middle class and poor, something others in congress, including most democrats don't...

enough of my mini rant! :smile:

Kensho :psychsplit:

Offlineacidlover123
Stranger

Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: cateyes]
    #15294534 - 10/29/11 11:38 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

i wish i still had the ability to vote. (convicted felon for a minor weed violation) but THe country is fucked no matter who is elected. The democrats are being stupid and are choosing Obama to run again. and everyone is pissed off at him right now. the republicans are all retards excecpt the libertarians like ron paul. but they arent getting any media attention so they are not going to win. SO THE COUNTRY IS FUCKED.

OfflineNanoAugmented
Stranger

Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: acidlover123]
    #15295123 - 10/29/11 02:00 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Well.. yeah. of course he didn't have anything to do with it. You really think Obama sits in the oval office scheming on drug policy? No. He has advisers and policy makers to do that. He's just a mouthpiece for them

InvisibleMadcaps
mushroom stalker
Male User Gallery

Loc: north-south-east coast fl... Flag
Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: NanoAugmented]
    #15295148 - 10/29/11 02:08 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

NanoAugmented said:
Well.. yeah. of course he didn't have anything to do with it. You really think Obama sits in the oval office scheming on drug policy? No. He has advisers and policy makers to do that. He's just a mouthpiece for them

bullshit.... he knows whats happening, he watches the news, he is advised, he's just another bull shitting politician, lie's lie's and more lie's

--------------------

InvisibleLongStrangeTripS
Deadhead

Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: Madcaps]
    #15295399 - 10/29/11 02:59 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Madcaps said:
Quote:

NanoAugmented said:

bullshit.... he knows whats happening, he watches the news, he is advised, he's just another bull shitting politician, lie's lie's and more lie's

I call bullshit on your bullshit. The president is not like a king, and he does not govern the country alone; or without the support of insane corporations through lobbying power. To think that it is just him "being a bastard and lying" is narrow minded and unrealistic. It is just not the way the American system of government works :shrug: sorry

This is INCREDIBLY interesting though...do you EVER remember a time when a president actually had someone in his white house address the public like this? Distancing himself from his own white houses' drug policies?

The times are a changin'.....for the better maybe

:peace::gd_icon:

--------------------
Nothing I say or do is factual; every single thing I write is a work of fiction. Got no idea what I'm talking about here~

"Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"~  (Grateful Dead)

"o puer, qui omnia nomini debes"; "You, boy, who owe's everything to a name"~ Mark Anthony

"Nihil est incertius vulgo, nihil obscurius voluntate hominum, nihil fallacius ratione tota comitiorum."; "Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system."~ Cicero

InvisibleMadcaps
mushroom stalker
Male User Gallery

Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: LongStrangeTrip]
    #15296525 - 10/29/11 07:57 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

This is INCREDIBLY interesting though...do you EVER remember a time when a president actually had someone in his white house address the public like this? Distancing himself from his own white houses' drug policies?

The times are a changin'.....for the better maybe

:peace::gd_icon:

so ur saying he is having somebody else address the public about HIS policies= he's a fucking liar, there his policies, he needs to man up and stop playing with peoples minds and medicine!!!!

--------------------

InvisibleLongStrangeTripS
Deadhead

Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: Madcaps]
    #15298486 - 10/30/11 09:29 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

so ur saying he is having somebody else address the public about HIS policies= he's a fucking liar, there his policies, he needs to man up and stop playing with peoples minds and medicine!!!!

:facepalm:

Well ok you don't get it at all, but that's ok...

STILL, if you can't tell, he is actually thinking about it (his drug position). It is hurting him bad enough that he is, yes, having other's IN HIS WHITE HOUSE distance HIM from his WHITE HOUSE'S policy (more than 1 person in an administration ya know...).

Its incredible, actually

--------------------
Nothing I say or do is factual; every single thing I write is a work of fiction. Got no idea what I'm talking about here~

"Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"~  (Grateful Dead)

"o puer, qui omnia nomini debes"; "You, boy, who owe's everything to a name"~ Mark Anthony

"Nihil est incertius vulgo, nihil obscurius voluntate hominum, nihil fallacius ratione tota comitiorum."; "Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system."~ Cicero

InvisibleMadcaps
mushroom stalker
Male User Gallery

Re: Obama not to blame in California medical marijuana crackdown, U.S. Attorney claims [Re: LongStrangeTrip]
    #15298514 - 10/30/11 09:45 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

tell us how incredible it is, in my house, im the leader, i say what goes. bottom line, in his house, it doesn't matter what he say's... he's the fucking pres, believe me he talks to his good buddy eric holder, who he gave the job to, at-least a few times a week, fuck they've been good friends for yrs. all he has to do is tell holder to back the fuck up.... ill tell u what the prob is, mr know it all.... big pharma and big alcohol, r seeing revenue losses in areas that have medicinal mj, and there lobbyist r crying... until they hold the rights of mj and the people dont, thats when they'll let up....

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service