Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewildernessjunkie
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Trusted Cultivator
First unwitting "In Vitro" grow
    #14949477 - 08/19/11 08:45 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well Ive been struggling with some pretty significant contamination issues lately. And while looking for a solution, I had one fall into my lap.

The original plan was to use this specific bag to try my hand at some Pan Cyan RDU. However I ended up needing to go out of town for work, and with the timing the way it was, I didn't want the bag to just be sitting here waiting. So I injected some Cube spores. When I came back home after about a week, I had some decent colonization. I massaged the bags and had full colonization in about another week. Well, then I had to go out of town for another week.

When I get back, I totally spaced it and forgot about the bag. A week after Im home I remember that I have a bag colonizing in the cabinet. I pull it out and the thing has got a bunch of pins. Hadn't even exposed it to light. Now my plan had been to plop this whole block into a Mini Mono and let it fruit. But it was already growing in the bag, and I had been fighting with the contamination, hoping to find a solution. So I just let it go, wanted to see how it would turn out.

I had read about "In Vitro" grows before, but it had always seemed to me that it was a really inefficient way to go. Damn was I wrong!

Thats a large, gusseted filter patch bag with the .2 micron filter.

Recipe was:
3 Cups cow manure
5 Cups Vermiculite
10 TBS BRF
3 Pinches of Gypsum

Spores:
P. Cubensis "Orissa India"

Im wishing I would have kept some notes, though it started out as a half ass, last minute grow.

The amount of shrooms in there is significant, especially considering the total amount of substrate in that bag. There was no birth, dunk, or roll. Nothing could have been simpler. I just sterilized the bag of substrate, inoculated with spores, and mixed the bag at about 25%. Beyond that, nothing. Because its a sealed environment no contamination issues.

Im waiting on the caps to do their thing, as I want the prints. But I could have harvested these right now if I wanted. Im sold on this method, and have found a new way to grow.

Updated:

I was a little sloppy with the clean up. A lot of sub came with the stems during the harvest. But heres the yield report:

The biggest of the batch

Total yield minus 7 caps I removed for printing.

So a rough estimate would probably be about 225g fresh off the first flush. I also looked at the note I wrote on the bag, my original time frame I think was a little off. Inoculation was on 7-27-11 and first harvest was today. So about 3 weeks from injection to harvest. Seems pretty fast to me. After the harvest I put the substrate block back in the bag and dumped a couple of quarts of water in. Tomorrow Ill drain the water and seal it back up for round 2.

Edited by wildernessjunkie (08/20/11 03:31 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

Loc: U.S. Flag
Re: First unwitting "In Vitro" grow [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #14949498 - 08/19/11 08:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Damn thats badass man!

--------------------
My Trade List

I post fictional information that i have developed through years of extreme delirium and from suffering strange delusions that i partake in illegal activites. The shroomery.org is merely my outlet for these delusions.

Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First unwitting "In Vitro" grow [Re: Fungus_monk]
    #14949510 - 08/19/11 08:52 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Thats a full size lysol can I threw in for scale. Hands down these are the biggest mushrooms Ive ever grown. And did it all basically as an accident.

Cant wait for my new PC to get here so I can make up some more bags like that.

InvisibleUnnamedGrower
The AMUiest
Male User Gallery

Loc: I'll be where I'm at
    #14949700 - 08/19/11 09:32 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

:popcorn:

We have already talked about this.  Glad you got some decent reults:congrats:

Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First unwitting "In Vitro" grow [Re: UnnamedGrower]
    #14949720 - 08/19/11 09:35 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

UnnamedGrower said:
:popcorn:

We have already talked about this.  Glad you got some decent reults:congrats:

Yep. Just wanted to show off my babies independent of the other thread. In Vitro FTW!

Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Trusted Cultivator
    #14969627 - 08/24/11 06:32 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Brand New AA 930 got here today!

That means more of these bags in the works tomorrow. Will be inoculating with more OI MS. And a few others with Pan. Cyan. RDU GLC. Not sure if the Pans will fruit In Vitro, but we'll find out soon.

Also, looked at the original bag just a bit ago. Lots of pins in there. Second flush is in the works, and I suspect it will be comparable to the first flush.

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

Loc: U.S. Flag
    #14969647 - 08/24/11 06:38 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

looking forward to it!

--------------------
My Trade List

I post fictional information that i have developed through years of extreme delirium and from suffering strange delusions that i partake in illegal activites. The shroomery.org is merely my outlet for these delusions.

Invisiblemaug
 User Gallery

Loc: inside you
    #14969666 - 08/24/11 06:48 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I got about a half pound of fresh from my BHT, and I fruited in a bag. They were grown on rye berries. It was my first grow too =P

--------------------
I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction. -Calvin and Hobbes

Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First unwitting "In Vitro" grow [Re: maug]
    #14994474 - 08/29/11 12:14 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Second flush is in.

Was about 78g wet minus 6 average caps that were removed for printing. So I would estimate probably about 85-90g total. Significantly less than the first flush, which was expected.

Additionally I found that the mushies didn't hold on to the substrate as tenaciously as the last flush. But the substrate also seemed significantly weaker. On the first flush the block was very firm, and the mushrooms were firmly attached. The harvest on this flush almost fell off as I put my hand on them. And as I tried to remove the block from the bag, it broke into several pieces.

I didn't really expect more than 2 flushes anyway, so I crumbled the substrate back up, and Ill bury it in the garden tomorrow.

I've got AA 930 now, and I've been sterilizing grain and substrate over the last few days. I've already inoculated several bags with some Pan. Cyan. RDU GLC, and a few with some more OI spores. Once these OI syringes are used up, Im thinking Ill move on to another strain, maybe a red spored variety, or maybe CRS, something unique anyway.

OfflineMushroomman3710
Male User Gallery

#15085576 - 09/16/11 12:29 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Wow, very surprised that they got so big! Congratz.

--------------------
:mushroom2::syringe:Peace,:syringe::mushroom2:
:mushroom2::syringe:Mushroomman3710:syringe::mushroom2:
Finally! I AM BACK!!! Check out my next grow log and what new things I'm doing. :smile:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15863768
Please go to my 1st grow log. I need as much help as i can get.
Here's the link:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15082286[/url]

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Not Wisconsin
Re: First unwitting "In Vitro" grow [Re: Mushroomman3710]
    #15085693 - 09/16/11 01:46 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Nice man :awethumb:. Im sure you have heard talk of the EZ Grow kits, thats exactly what the give you, a bag exactly like that with the substrate in it already sterilized, and some kind of Q-Tip swab that you break open and drop the head of the Q-Tip into the substrate and let it colonize and fruit in the bag. Oh they give you a fancy little box to keep your bag in to prevent side pinning I guess. I only know this from this dudes youtube videos:[url=
youtube.com/watch?v=v31frPBlilU&feature=related[/url].

InvisibleEsmash
aye Pan Cyan!!!
Male

Loc: the Hot Desert Flag
Re: First unwitting "In Vitro" grow [Re: The Influence]
    #15277986 - 10/25/11 07:14 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hello Wildernessjunkie,
I had a question, did you ever open the bag for air exchange (FAE) ever at all? Im doing something like this but using a ziplock baggie instead that has a hole in it filled with polyfil. Thanks so much for this post, I've been looking and looking for this exact thread about in vitro bags.

--------------------

Invisiblemaug
 User Gallery

Loc: inside you
Re: First unwitting "In Vitro" grow [Re: Esmash]
    #15278912 - 10/25/11 10:29 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I had a WBS bag with a .5 micron filter fruit invitro, and the mushrooms were definitely not getting enough FAE.

--------------------
I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction. -Calvin and Hobbes

Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First unwitting "In Vitro" grow [Re: maug]
    #15279271 - 10/26/11 12:16 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Nope. Never opened it until harvest. The second flush I did though.

I imagine if I had provided more FAE the harvest would have been a little bigger. Though I definitely cannot complain about how much I ended up with. As it all kinda happened by accident, I just went with it and let it do its thang.

OfflinePadawanShroomNoob
Stranger
Re: First unwitting "In Vitro" grow *DELETED* [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #21119184 - 01/14/15 05:44 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Really sorry to bump this ancient thread, but what do you mean in your inition post when you say you "mixed the bag at about 25%" - I'm sorry, I'm a noob and I have the same simple set up that you have. Thanks in advance.

Edited by PussyFart (01/16/15 02:29 AM)

InvisibleEsmash
aye Pan Cyan!!!
Male

Re: First unwitting "In Vitro" grow [Re: PadawanShroomNoob]
    #21121970 - 01/14/15 07:13 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

PadawanShroomNoob said:
Really sorry to bump this ancient thread, but what do you mean in your inition post when you say you "mixed the bag at about 25%" - I'm sorry, I'm a noob and I have the same simple set up that you have. Thanks in advance.

Yeah very old thread....Whoa!
I think he meant 25% Ratio, either the Substrate mixture and Spawn.
Or he meant he filled the 1/4th of the way.

I like the Bags sometimes :laugh: very stealthy.

Look at my pics that wildernessjunkie helped me achieve with my question.

--------------------

Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Trusted Cultivator
    #21122472 - 01/14/15 08:50 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Haha...the shit that gets dug up.

As I replied in the PM, Ill repeat here so everyone else that reads this knows.

The % 25 had to do with the amount if colonization. When about 1/4 of the bag was colonized I broke up the chunks as small as I could and tumbled the bag end over end to mix it up. The process is called "massaging".

InvisibleEsmash
aye Pan Cyan!!!
Male

Re: First unwitting "In Vitro" grow *DELETED* [Re: PadawanShroomNoob]
    #21127772 - 01/16/15 02:24 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

PadawanShroomNoob said:
Post deleted by PadawanShroomNoob<p>Reason for deletion: Do not want any trail, I have a professional job and am getting my masters and decided to abandon this scientific endeavor.

Allot of people have Jobs on this site. As for Quitting this Hobby then that's fine, whatever, suit yourself but why even bump a 3 year old thread, and then DELETE the post?

--------------------

Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First unwitting "In Vitro" grow *DELETED* [Re: Esmash]
    #21127817 - 01/16/15 03:07 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

High five to Pussy.

Nice save.

Offlineaykaye47
Shroomerys Gangster

#21127947 - 01/16/15 04:27 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

What size ziploc is that 1 gal?

--------------------
"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures