Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinejayfromtheSE
A simple fool.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia, Melbourne. Flag
peyote cactus, possible rot?
    #15254399 - 10/20/11 09:31 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hey guys, I've got 2 buttons that are 1.5cm in diameter.
They've currently got like a yellow patch on them that covers maybe 2/6th of the cactus and I'm just curious if that's rot or not?

If it is rot, what should I do next?, the only thing I gather is not to water them for a few months until the rot goes away.

I think its from a night I left it outside and there was heavy down pour that might have clipped it as they where under a veranda.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Sincerely
Jay.

ALSO
I've got Peytote seeds, what's the best way going about growing them from a seed?
Once again, thank you.

--------------------
I dreamed I was a butterfly, floatting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder; Am I a man who dreamed of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLocky
Dont Spill Me!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over here, yes, here
Re: peyote cactus, possible rot? [Re: jayfromtheSE]
    #15254439 - 10/20/11 09:39 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Im no expert, but, maybe just keep it out of soil in a light, dry place until it fully heals. Then proceed to plant it or whatever you want to do with it.

--------------------

OfflinejayfromtheSE
A simple fool.
Male User Gallery

Re: peyote cactus, possible rot? [Re: Locky]
    #15254511 - 10/20/11 09:57 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Locky said:

Im no expert, but, maybe just keep it out of soil in a light, dry place until it fully heals. Then proceed to plant it or whatever you want to do with it.

So leave it out of the soil until it heals?, when will I know it has healed?

--------------------
I dreamed I was a butterfly, floatting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder; Am I a man who dreamed of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?

InvisibleLocky
Dont Spill Me!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over here, yes, here
    #15254544 - 10/20/11 10:03 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

does it have a thick scab on it?

--------------------

OfflineRourkeAnderson
<3 <3 <3
Male User Gallery

Loc: Surrey, BC, Canada
Re: peyote cactus, possible rot? [Re: Locky]
    #15254563 - 10/20/11 10:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

If it's soft and squishy; even puss-y then it's rot. If it feels dry and firm-ish; then it's already started healing.

Either way; pot it up into bone dry soil; dust with a bit of sulfur and let ot sort itself out. Peyote is touch as nails when it has to be. He should be fine <3

OfflinejayfromtheSE
A simple fool.
Male User Gallery

Re: peyote cactus, possible rot? [Re: RourkeAnderson]
    #15254989 - 10/20/11 11:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RourkeAnderson said:
If it's soft and squishy; even puss-y then it's rot. If it feels dry and firm-ish; then it's already started healing.

Either way; pot it up into bone dry soil; dust with a bit of sulfur and let ot sort itself out. Peyote is touch as nails when it has to be. He should be fine <3

Its squishy.
So putting it in dry soil is the best idea?, or should I keep them out to dry for a while?
When they become dry should they start growing again?, when will I know if they're healed?, does the color or anything change about them?
Or do they just calcify?, how long roughly does it take for them to heal :O?

sorry for the excessive amount of questions, you've been a great help.
thank you.

--------------------

OfflineRourkeAnderson
<3 <3 <3
Male User Gallery

#15255043 - 10/21/11 12:11 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Okay; squishy isn't good. Goo-ey is even worse though. It doesn't look too dire from here, but then again in person is a very different thing.

Dusting it with sulfer powder is standard for most cacti-related ailments.

Unless the roots are soaked; putting them into bone-dry soil is never a bad plan. You'll know when the cacti us feeling better when it firms up; the flesh of Lophophora type cacti gets soft when they are dehydrated or over-watered.

From what I know about lophs is; it'll grow over the injury within a year or two.

Actually; it's pretty close to dormancy time isn't it? I'd put him into some dry soil and give him dormancy (No watering, cooler temperatures) and monitor him closely; he should heal up just fine. Also, if you believe in positive energy and such; put your hand over each of them and just give them some positive vibes; I've pulled a couple of really dire cacti out of tough spots with some strongly directed love.

Offlinepeyotenayth
Peyote Farmer
Male
Loc: England Flag
    #15255847 - 10/21/11 08:18 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hey Guys i think there is a chance my peyote are rotting,
i first noticed the squishyness about 2 months ago when it was getting quite hot i haven't had my peyote long and they all seem to be getting kinda squishy, i have also noticed some yellow staining which has appeared on the sides of some of my cacti i was hoping one of you experienced peyoteors could tell me what i am dealing with or if i have nothing to worry about... thanks :wink:

--------------------
Cant help but wondering if i will still have my babies in 10 years time.!?

This is my best Peyote

OfflineRourkeAnderson
<3 <3 <3
Male User Gallery

Re: peyote cactus, possible rot? [Re: peyotenayth]
    #15256274 - 10/21/11 10:40 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Give us picturesssssssssssss

OfflinejayfromtheSE
A simple fool.
Male User Gallery

#15256356 - 10/21/11 11:01 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RourkeAnderson said:
Okay; squishy isn't good. Goo-ey is even worse though. It doesn't look too dire from here, but then again in person is a very different thing.

Dusting it with sulfer powder is standard for most cacti-related ailments.

Unless the roots are soaked; putting them into bone-dry soil is never a bad plan. You'll know when the cacti us feeling better when it firms up; the flesh of Lophophora type cacti gets soft when they are dehydrated or over-watered.

From what I know about lophs is; it'll grow over the injury within a year or two.

Actually; it's pretty close to dormancy time isn't it? I'd put him into some dry soil and give him dormancy (No watering, cooler temperatures) and monitor him closely; he should heal up just fine. Also, if you believe in positive energy and such; put your hand over each of them and just give them some positive vibes; I've pulled a couple of really dire cacti out of tough spots with some strongly directed love.

How essential is having sulfur powder?, I don't have any and zero founds to rush out and buy any.

Yeah I will chuck them in a different pot and wont water them for a while.
I have another 3 growing that are healthy and a few other things (:

Well I'm only going to have hotter temperatures as we are approaching summer, knowing this piece of information would you change your advice?
Coincidentally I've got quite a few crystals sprinkled in the bed of each pot plant that I have.

Admittedly prior to two months another two peyotes where exactly like that but have since nearly returned completely normal.
I'm hoping to get the original two back to normal within 3 months, hopefully.
(:

Thank you for the advice, I'm looking forward to your response.

--------------------

OfflineRourkeAnderson
<3 <3 <3
Male User Gallery

#15256410 - 10/21/11 11:16 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Oh shit son; you're in Aussie-land.

Then I guess no dormancy for them.

If that's the case; give him similar treatment for about a month; no water, dry soil. Once he starts looking thristy then give him little bits to drink; on the side that isn't damaged. I think lack of water is the most important part; it almost seems like sick Peyote have trouble dealing with water when they're trying to heal themselves, like it's an extra burden.

Sulfur isn't required; but almost every cacti-crazy shroomery member touts it as a great substance to use for Cactus.

Crystals is a pretty good idea ^_^; do you find any dramatic differences with/without them?

OfflinejayfromtheSE
A simple fool.
Male User Gallery

#15256734 - 10/21/11 12:42 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RourkeAnderson said:
Oh shit son; you're in Aussie-land.

Then I guess no dormancy for them.

If that's the case; give him similar treatment for about a month; no water, dry soil. Once he starts looking thristy then give him little bits to drink; on the side that isn't damaged. I think lack of water is the most important part; it almost seems like sick Peyote have trouble dealing with water when they're trying to heal themselves, like it's an extra burden.

Sulfur isn't required; but almost every cacti-crazy shroomery member touts it as a great substance to use for Cactus.

Crystals is a pretty good idea ^_^; do you find any dramatic differences with/without them?

Oh ok, thanks for the advice, will plant them in a few hours when the sun comes up.
Having a bit of a smoke (:

As for the crystals, you should try them out yourself.
I believe there is a 'dramatic' increase though you should try it to prove it to yourself.

I hate to be a hassle but;
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15244395

is my other thread, if you know anything about growing peyote seeds or salvia seeds i would greatly appreciate you having a look.
you seem like an intelligent guy and I need some advice (:

thanks once again!,
peace and stay safe

--------------------

OfflineRourkeAnderson
<3 <3 <3
Male User Gallery

#15256808 - 10/21/11 12:57 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I actually posted a short little bit about it in that thread ^_^.

This last month I sprouted 50-ish little lophs without a humidity dome whatsoever; they've been doing really fine in a 40/60 Peat/Perlite mix. (The pro cactus guys will tell you that Coir/Perlite/Sand is much better though) All I did is wet the soil to a point where I could squeeze it and only a few drops would come out; then pressed the seeds into the soil and misted mornings and evenings making sure the medium was damp but not soaked. (Light helps the seeds germinate, so don't cover them with soil)

I had a 75% germ rate from what I can imagine are rather old seeds. Apparently using a humidity dome is a really good plan, but I always end up with fungus/damping issues; so I've been doing the misting twice/day method. I have 1000 mixed loph seeds coming soon and I'm considering crushing the perlite and adding a bit of vermiculite to the mix. Soil-free cactus mixes seem to be the least hassle for seedlings.

OOH, and another good point; if you see damping off fungus or other gross things, spray the problem parts with 50% diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide; it'll kill the living heck out of the bad stuff, and won't hurt the little cacti.

What type of crystals would you suggest? The ones that come to mind are quartz and amethyst, but I can't remember any other strong ones.

OfflinejayfromtheSE
A simple fool.
Male User Gallery

#15257000 - 10/21/11 01:41 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RourkeAnderson said:
I actually posted a short little bit about it in that thread ^_^.

This last month I sprouted 50-ish little lophs without a humidity dome whatsoever; they've been doing really fine in a 40/60 Peat/Perlite mix. (The pro cactus guys will tell you that Coir/Perlite/Sand is much better though) All I did is wet the soil to a point where I could squeeze it and only a few drops would come out; then pressed the seeds into the soil and misted mornings and evenings making sure the medium was damp but not soaked. (Light helps the seeds germinate, so don't cover them with soil)

I had a 75% germ rate from what I can imagine are rather old seeds. Apparently using a humidity dome is a really good plan, but I always end up with fungus/damping issues; so I've been doing the misting twice/day method. I have 1000 mixed loph seeds coming soon and I'm considering crushing the perlite and adding a bit of vermiculite to the mix. Soil-free cactus mixes seem to be the least hassle for seedlings.

OOH, and another good point; if you see damping off fungus or other gross things, spray the problem parts with 50% diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide; it'll kill the living heck out of the bad stuff, and won't hurt the little cacti.

What type of crystals would you suggest? The ones that come to mind are quartz and amethyst, but I can't remember any other strong ones.

Ok well I'm going to try germinate my ten seeds in the next few days, or was it 20.
Will follow as per instructed :wink:

There is no 'strong' types to be honest, it's more different crystals do different things.
Though mine I'm assuming (long story) is from a crystal shop, I recommend you go. You can get
scoops of them for like 1.50$ over here and it's plenty.
I only have 10 very small crystals in each pot.

quartz's major relation is with dreaming and amethyst's major relation is with the third eye.

--------------------

Offlinepeyotenayth
Peyote Farmer
Male

Loc: England Flag
    #15267505 - 10/23/11 04:54 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

hey guys,
i recently planted about 50-70 peyote seeds in the right conditions in a plactic container with an air tight seal, the soil was watered with sterile water and left for about 19 hours to drain, then i planted my seeds. the tub sits under my bed under 2 fluorescent lamps, which arent very strong however i have used these and the same conditions to germinate peyote seeds in the past with no trouble.

Its been three days since i planted them and i have noticed some yellow specks forming around the majority of the seeds i am quite worried that i may lose the cacti before i they have even started to grow i was hoping that someone would have some experience with this strange yellow crazyness and could enlighten me as to what i am dealing with here.
thanks,

heres a pic btw ive circled the possible problem in green.

peyote pro by peyotenayth, on Flickr

--------------------
Cant help but wondering if i will still have my babies in 10 years time.!?

This is my best Peyote

OfflineRourkeAnderson
<3 <3 <3
Male User Gallery

Re: peyote cactus, possible rot? [Re: peyotenayth]
    #15270600 - 10/24/11 11:19 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hey Peyote; didn't you post this in another thread? Or am I just going crazy? :crazy2:.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder