Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBenteen_Bevalier
Stranger

Re: twist n pull or cut? my babies are ready (pics) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15193504 - 10/07/11 08:49 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the clarification RR. Also anyone know if the stump will inhibit other mushrooms from growing in the same spot?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroom_Goon
Just Some Guy

Re: twist n pull or cut? my babies are ready (pics) [Re: Benteen_Bevalier]
    #15219661 - 10/13/11 02:06 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I've been twisting and pulling and it leaves vermiculite all over the bottom of the mushrooms. Cutting seems like it would prevent this from happening. Sounds good :smile: Also I'm interested in Benteen's question as well.

--------------------
:peace: :heart: :mushroom2:

OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: twist n pull or cut? my babies are ready (pics) [Re: Shroom_Goon]
    #15219704 - 10/13/11 02:15 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

About the stumps? - no, they don't inhibit anything except right where the stump is - but when you twist off a blob of sub with the shroom you lose any knots that were in that sub to future flushes.  I do either twist or cut depending on how many fruits there are - big and few I'll twirl 'em off, smaller and many I'll clearcut the field.

:peace:PS

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

OfflineIGetTight
Stranger

Re: twist n pull or cut? my babies are ready (pics) [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #15334836 - 11/07/11 08:04 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I'm gonna have to try using the cutting methods. All my tubs end having amazingly dense flushes and it takes forever and makes a mess pulling them all out. and I end up losing a solid inch of sub. Pulling the easy to ones to make room for my hand sounds great. I will be trying this very soon... in a couple days. Hard to harvest flushes like this

InvisibleViruk
Stranger
Re: twist n pull or cut? my babies are ready (pics) [Re: IGetTight]
    #15348883 - 11/10/11 08:28 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

That looks like a chore you've got there, but a damn beautiful one.
I'd cut all those down.
Which leads me to my next point, I tried cutting over twisting. The results were GREAT! Just fantastic really. Not only is it easier, allowing you to hack down a whole bunch really quickly, but the stumps cause no problem what so ever.
I actually noticed the stumps getting re-colonized before the 2nd flush was in. They also seemed to noticeably shrink over time, and round off, and cap any holes left by hollow stems.

Listen to RR and cut your shrooms!

OfflineXobil3
Local Host

Loc: 127.0.0.1 Flag
Re: twist n pull or cut? my babies are ready (pics) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15349037 - 11/10/11 09:34 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

kingpsilo281 said:
nice fruits !!  you did a great job:thumbup:  twist and pull gently like russhroom said..you wanna get the root of it out too, or it will rot in the substrate..

That is flat-out incorrect.  The substrate by fruiting time is 100% colonized with mycelium. Leaving the stump is not going to rot any more than the rest of the substrate will.  In addition, mushrooms don't have roots.

Best results are obtained by slicing off the stem at or just above substrate level.  Obviously, one needs a sharp knife.

Some strains barely attach to the substrate and fall over on their own when mature.  However, most are tenaciously attached to the substrate and need to be cut off.
RR

Hah I feel bad for you RR. I've been seeing so many of these 'twist n pull vs cut' topics recently and you're always posting in them saying that cutting is the correct way. Yet no one seems to be getting the message or utilizing the search tool.

--------------------
Always remember, there's at least one person in this Universe that would do anything for YOU

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: twist n pull or cut? my babies are ready (pics) [Re: Benteen_Bevalier]
    #15349114 - 11/10/11 09:51 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Benteen_Bevalier said:
Also anyone know if the stump will inhibit other mushrooms from growing in the same spot?

It will help it.

Quote:

San said:
Fungi are very modular organisms, so if you knocked up your substrate with an isolated organism then this is probable, since the fruit and the mycelium will get along well together.

It also helps that the fruiting body will continue to grow and mature after it's picked, slowly eating itself and converting stalk/cap hyphae to mycelium in an attempt to re-attach itself.

I'm not sure if there's a name for the trait that allows it to do this, but it is more noticeable in various families/genus/species

Quote:

San said:
You could also describe them as having "Fluid" growth cycles, since they can revert to a previous state of being as a means of reaching their final mature state. Fungi are described as "Modular" as opposed to "Unitary". Modular organisms are characterized by having repetitions of small sections.

Examples are:

Corral
Fungi
Plants that reproduce by cloning
Moss?

What really allows it to do this (Reattach) is a combination of having a fluid growth cycle and being modular in nature.

I know thats a quote from a thread about reattaching pins, but its still relevant. The same principal applies to here to the "stump" left attached to the cake.

Offlinejimmyjame1
Lover
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: twist n pull or cut? my babies are ready (pics) [Re: Munchauzen]
    #15349213 - 11/10/11 10:18 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

CUT, anyone who says other wise is not listening to the trusted cultivators of our community.

--------------------
:nyan:Link to My Journaland My Trade List :nyan:

LOVE PEACE AND BEAUTIFUL MUSIC.

InvisibleBrain Fart
Mushroom Nerd
 User Gallery

Loc: Your Mom Flag
Re: twist n pull or cut? my babies are ready (pics) [Re: Wing]
    #15349387 - 11/10/11 11:10 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

winged_1 said:
I usually barely tug on a few fruits until I find some that easily come off and then I use that cleared space to get my hand in there and get a good angle on cutting.

Excellent advice

--------------------

OfflineKoD
Vive liber
Male

Re: twist n pull or cut? my babies are ready (pics) [Re: Brain Fart]
    #15349698 - 11/10/11 12:16 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Scissors or single bladed knife?

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: twist n pull or cut? my babies are ready (pics) [Re: KoD]
    #15349759 - 11/10/11 12:25 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I feel like you can get more precise with a knife, but scissors, especially angled scissors, still work perfectly fine.

OfflinePrimalSoup
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15349910 - 11/10/11 12:53 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Scissors are easy, you can take out clusters with kitchen shears then go back and trim the stumps down to the sub. :thumbup:

--------------------

Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

OfflineEliteAmericans
Glorious American
    #15349928 - 11/10/11 12:56 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

IGetTight said:
I'm gonna have to try using the cutting methods. All my tubs end having amazingly dense flushes and it takes forever and makes a mess pulling them all out. and I end up losing a solid inch of sub. Pulling the easy to ones to make room for my hand sounds great. I will be trying this very soon... in a couple days. Hard to harvest flushes like this

Machete, or a Weed wacker.

--------------------
[EQ Tub]|[Penis]|[Rez]|[APE]

Offlineilovephish1
Stranger
 User Gallery

#15349953 - 11/10/11 01:00 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

IGetTight said:

I will take the chore of slice and dice, pull or twist, over trimming cannabis any day.  I got me some carpel tunnel in both hands,  and trimming just sucks for say a dozen plants.  I think I am going to inject some spores.  Thanks for your picture and the inspiration.

Mushrooms are from outer space.

InvisiblePinsWellWithOthers
Thread Derailer

Folding@home Statistics
Re: twist n pull or cut? my babies are ready (pics) [Re: ilovephish1]
    #15350112 - 11/10/11 01:31 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Get those cool scissors that are curved slightly at the ends.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=curved+Scissors&hl=en&safe=off&gbv=2&prmd=imvns&biw=1799&bih=898&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1291234841095169392&sa=X&ei=9zO8Tt3PHKbW0QGO4bjfCQ&ved=0CI0BEPMCMAI
You can get right at sub level without having to cut at weird angels or poke your fingers around on the sub. The example link is a little pricy, check ebay, craft stores or your local medical supplier.

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: twist n pull or cut? my babies are ready (pics) [Re: ilovephish1]
    #15350162 - 11/10/11 01:41 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ilovephish1 said:
Mushrooms are from outer space.

:ancientaliens:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia

OfflinePrimalSoup
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15352632 - 11/10/11 08:56 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Nah, spores are from outer space.  Mushrooms are from my fruiting chamber. :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleHorizonSpawn
Gettin' my grow on :)
Male

Loc: Myco-Tek.org Flag
Re: twist n pull or cut? my babies are ready (pics) [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #15352825 - 11/10/11 09:38 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I perform my mushroom amputation surgery using these:

--------------------
Please assume any and all prints exchanged are "WILD" in nature; and thus, should NOT be considered ASEPTIC...

NOTE:  Please excuse my brevity, as it is a bitch 'n' a half and slow as hell to type on this here phone :frown:

Invisiblekingpsilo281
the Perfectionist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulfcoast
Re: twist n pull or cut? my babies are ready (pics) [Re: HorizonSpawn]
    #15354358 - 11/11/11 07:38 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

nice horizon !!  those look like they work perfectly..

I still choose to pull and twist my fruits;  only when i have super dense clusters that i know will rip out some substrate, then ill use my scissors.. but alot of the time, the come off clean without rippin my substrate..

--------------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...

infowars.com  shatterthedarkness.net  stevequayle.com

OfflineIGetTight
Stranger

Re: twist n pull or cut? my babies are ready (pics) [Re: kingpsilo281]
    #15358793 - 11/12/11 02:04 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I just cut down a first flush with a razor. Worked great way easier, especially on the cleanup. Waiting to see what the second flush does tho.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals