Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Best guide for growing ephedra sinica?
    #15147910 - 09/28/11 04:02 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Has anyone out there found a solid guide to growing e. sinica from seed?  It would be great if there was a grow guide attached to each revolution thread vVv makes but since we don't have that luxury, I'm wondering if anyone has followed one found through google or similar and had good results.  I have a limited amount of seeds so I'd like to not be the guinea pig. :lol:

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecc2
Mush

Re: Best guide for growing ephedra sinica? [Re: SuperD]
    #15147979 - 09/28/11 04:16 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

AFAIK it's not exceedingly difficult, you just have to provide some drainage. excessive soil wetness as when using too much vermiculite can lead to rot.

a couple lines taken from an external source (can't post links 'cos that website sell seeds also sold by sponsors)

Seed germination, sowing instructions for Ma Huang. Ephedra sinica is easy to grow from seeds. Sow seeds in sandy soil. Do not cover the small seeds, but press gentle into the earth. Keep seeds in constant moisture with temperatures of about 68 degrees F

also on erowid

Ephedra should be planted in dry locations. It thrives in ordinary loamy soil and does very well in a loose rocky soil with full sun and little water. It is most often propagated by division of the clumps in spring, and seeds sown in a light sandy soil in early spring. It may also be propagated by layers and suckers.

InvisibleAgingHippy
Flwr Pwr
Male User Gallery

Loc: Necropolis Flag
Re: Best guide for growing ephedra sinica? [Re: cc2]
    #15149228 - 09/28/11 07:52 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

OfflineGoOnThen
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia Flag
Re: Best guide for growing ephedra sinica? [Re: AgingHippy]
    #15149596 - 09/28/11 08:50 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Recently I've had a fair few people ask me how I germinate Ephedra seeds. I used to follow methods found here and elsewhere, but always had poor results.

Now I use the following method, with reliably good results.

I've found the best way to germinate Ephedra seeds is to sow them on the surface of a good, but well draining mix. Getting a good seed raising mix and mixing it with a bit of coarse sand/fine gravel/perlite/diatomite should be ideal.

If you can be bothered, the seeds should be sown with the point down, so that the radicle emerges straight into the soil. If you just scatter the seeds across the surface without orientating each seed, the radicle may emerge skywards, resulting in the root arching over to find the soil, wasting energy in the process and risking drying out while exposed. It still works of course, but you might find yourself painstakingly trying to help out those seedlings which have not immediately found the soil.

Until the seeds germinate and the cotyledons have unfurled, you should keep them humid by whatever means you find convenient, such as polyethylene wrap placed over the pot/s, or placing them inside an enclosed plastic tub, etc. Then shortly after, harden them off to to atmospheric humidity so that the seedlings do not succumb to damping off. Be careful not to let the pot/container get too hot while enclosed with cling wrap or whatever you're using to keep it humid as they will cook (so full sun is not a good idea at first). Partial sun is good, at least initially. Full sun should be fine when they've established themselves a little. After that, treat them similarly to cacti, e.g. don't over water, etc, but also be careful not to under water. Just make sure that the soil is always at least a little moist, but not saturated.

Hopefully this will be of some help to others. :smile:

I copied this from another forum and I am sure the author wont mind.

Cheers
Got

--------------------

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Best guide for growing ephedra sinica? [Re: GoOnThen]
    #15155200 - 09/29/11 08:53 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the replies all.  My weekend project has been cut out for me.  Going to try and germinate a small number of these and if the results are overall positive, I'll germinate another larger batch.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

OfflineSKrink
KING MOB
 User Gallery

Re: Best guide for growing ephedra sinica? [Re: SuperD]
    #15155501 - 09/29/11 09:46 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Has anyone ever heard of a cold stratification period to break dormancy in ephedra seeds?
I remember reading it, I just can't find where.

--------------------
:crazy2: SWEET POTATO HOME FRIES :crazy2:
:mushroom2:HOW TO USE A PENIS ENVY SPORE SWAB:mushroom2:

... Oh mighty masticator, salivator, vocalizer, swallower, licker biter sucker brow-knitter looker blinker rubbernecker thumber prodder up-yours fingerer ringwearer nosepicker waver drinker armlifter bodybender hipswiveler kneer springer runner ZERO::::::::OOOOOOOOO:::::::: RUN!!!

OfflineWorld Seed SupplyV
Seed Man
Male

Loc: New York, USA Flag
Re: Best guide for growing ephedra sinica? [Re: SKrink]
    #15158549 - 09/30/11 03:02 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

They should not need much special treatment.  From what I've seen, they will grow according to the instructions by cc2.  Once they get going, the soil should definitely be kept on the dryer side.

--------------------
www.worldseedsupply.com
HELPING THE WORLD GROW!

50% OFF 1st KRATOM COLLECTION POWDER ORDER @ www.kratomcollectionshop.com
USE CODE WELCOME50NWEW!

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Loc: W-Europe
Re: Best guide for growing ephedra sinica? [Re: SKrink]
    #15162311 - 10/01/11 12:44 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

SKrink said:
Has anyone ever heard of a cold stratification period to break dormancy in ephedra seeds?
I remember reading it, I just can't find where.

I already posted this in another topic. I found the information on this site: http://www.ephedra.nu/en/botanical_2.htm.

"The dormancy also disappears after short periods (2 to 4 weeks) of chilling; this chilling also hastens the subsequent germination of nondormant seeds."

And I still need to plant my Ephedra sinica seeds, lol. They're in the fridge now for some months already. I hope it doesn't matter that much..

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

Re: Best guide for growing ephedra sinica? [Re: Poison Drink]
    #15162593 - 10/01/11 01:49 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

They grow here and they get frozen in the winters, which can have 3-5 months of frost. I'll try to get out and get some habitat shots at the nature center this next week. They grow well in sand and gravel mix basically, with more gravel than sand it seems.

--------------------
I challenge you to challenge yourself more! When you feel complacent and ready to hang it up, challenge yourself to get over it! If you fail, don't look at it as you didn't succeed, look at it as you would a rock face you're trying to climb. Stand back, wayyyy back, and look at it and plot another path. If you can't find one, shuffle down the way a little, a little change of scenery or a view from a different angle may give you the insight you need.

Anything I state is relayed information from a friend of a friend and should be viewed as completely fictitious. I do not partake in any illegal or grey-area-of-the-law activities, but do have lots of friends who may or may not.    -fngbronco

Pill Divider Agar Tek

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Loc: W-Europe
Re: Best guide for growing ephedra sinica? [Re: fngbronco]
    #15162741 - 10/01/11 02:27 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well the main reason I didn't plant them yet is the (lack of) grow lights. I was a bit busy these days, hehe. Though I think the seedlings might have enough with my grolux 18W tube until they germinate. I was about to sow some cacti seeds as well, so I might toss in some Ephedra seeds in the propagator too.

But I'd like to hear about other people's ways of growing E. sinica. In the past, I planted around 10 Ephedra seeds of which zero germinated.. Maybe the seeds were too old, but now I'm a bit cautious in planting them. I think it's a good idea of the TS, not sowing all your seeds at once.

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

Re: Best guide for growing ephedra sinica? [Re: Poison Drink]
    #15163293 - 10/01/11 04:38 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Grow them outdoors if it's spring where you are, they grow about like sage brush so indoors under lights wouldn't work (I would believe) and they need lots of space.

--------------------
I challenge you to challenge yourself more! When you feel complacent and ready to hang it up, challenge yourself to get over it! If you fail, don't look at it as you didn't succeed, look at it as you would a rock face you're trying to climb. Stand back, wayyyy back, and look at it and plot another path. If you can't find one, shuffle down the way a little, a little change of scenery or a view from a different angle may give you the insight you need.

Anything I state is relayed information from a friend of a friend and should be viewed as completely fictitious. I do not partake in any illegal or grey-area-of-the-law activities, but do have lots of friends who may or may not.    -fngbronco

Pill Divider Agar Tek

OfflineButhoscorpio
Re: Best guide for growing ephedra sinica? [Re: fngbronco]
    #15176984 - 10/04/11 02:24 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hi

Ephedra spp. is quite easy. Just place the seeds in cacti-soil about 0,5 cm deep.
It should be humid and warm. As soon as they sprout lower the humidity.
They dont need much water.
In summer they must be outdoor! They grow really poor if only cultivated indoor!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order