Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OnlineSulfurshelfsean
Defender of Cubes
 User Gallery

Agaricus Blazei Murrill
    #15152791 - 09/29/11 12:54 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

So I just ordered some Agaricus Blazei Murrill  spores from mcrashop.org which I've heard is a good source. I was wondering what a good bulk substrate recipe would be for this type of grow, and if its possible to cultivate in a monotub. This is my first try at edibles, and chose this species because it could help a friend with severe chrons and ulcerative cholitis. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

~Sulfurshelf~

--------------------

Everything is better when it is done ON TOP OF A MOUNTAIN!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OnlineSulfurshelfsean
Defender of Cubes
 User Gallery

Re: Agaricus Blazei Murrill [Re: Sulfurshelfsean]
    #15153481 - 09/29/11 03:06 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

BUMP*
I've read that straw compost is good. I currently dont have a compost going and its getting cold out, could I possibly start an indoor worm compost to get a good substrate going while I wait for the jars to colonize? I have a friend who does worm composting and could get some red wrigglers from.

--------------------

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Berlin Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #15154110 - 09/29/11 05:10 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Wait a moment. Compost mushrooms and especially ABM are not what I would call beginner friendly. Without experience, fruiting will be close to impossible. It would still be hard, if you know how to fruit easier Agaricus species like A. bisporus. If you still want to try, please start reading some of the existing threads to get some background knowledge.

Carsten

OnlineSulfurshelfsean
Defender of Cubes
 User Gallery

Re: Agaricus Blazei Murrill [Re: Mycelio]
    #15154392 - 09/29/11 06:06 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well I've definately been doing alot of reading on it, but for this species in particular I'm having a hard time finding anyone whose even attempted, or at least very few people. Maybe thats a testimant to how hard it really is. I was just wondering if worm compost would be suitable as I can't really do a hot compost, i  live in ny and its getting cold for that. I know this is kind of out of my league but I want to try this, my friend patrick is very ill and has expressed desire to try using an extract of these in treatment for his chrons disease and ulcerative cholitis, and looking online even capsulated ABM is very expensive. If I can supply him with them myself and for low cost that would be awsome.

--------------------

OnlineSulfurshelfsean
Defender of Cubes
 User Gallery

#15154428 - 09/29/11 06:12 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I actually just read your post on growing A. Bisporus on non-compstyed substrates, and was wondering if you thought that tek would work with the ABMs?

--------------------

Offlinetrout
Flyfisherman
Male User Gallery

#15154444 - 09/29/11 06:16 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Do you have a garage?  You could produce relatively good compost in a large trash can or barrel.  The garage temps should be good enough to get started and you could cover with insulation or just blankets to hold in the heat.  Smell is not a problem if you balance your mixture and keep it well turned, Lowe's has a turner that is very good for these types of composting.  I know nothing about ABM but I just thought this might be worth a shot.

Trout

--------------------
I need tropical cultures, ABM, V.v....!!!!

Well things don't always look as they are and things can be misread and mistaken for what they realy are so don't read too much into what I say since I might be mistaken myself. And remember I rarely ever give a definate answer.

OfflineFried Brains
    #15154467 - 09/29/11 06:22 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

In a nutshell, spore are very hard to get a good strain going,because the mycelium  looks different to most other mushrooms, rather buy mycelium in a syringe
Fuck straw, Fresh horse manure wet from the stable, sun dry (takes a few days and dont leave it out over night) , dry by any other means. place in pillow case , place in pot with with water, boil it for 1.5 hours . Once you have colonized jars/ bags( wheat is good ), mix  into manure 50-50 at first few attempts, cover containers filled at least 50-70 mm deep for a few days, peek at the mycelium, ( mycelium is a bit hairy and u might think you have contam, stick with it) once it has grown though the manure, grab some sandy soil from the garden ( preferably with old decomposed manure in it ) cover the mycelium about 15mm to 25mm. remove to grow room / fishtank whatever u use, must get some oxygen but not too much, .If mycelium grows through very quickly , chuck some more soil on it to prevent overlay,after it has grown through up the oxygen and of course it needs light, keep moist, hot and humid
surprise, suprise, nice big fatties will pop up, normally 2 good flushes, if you can grow oyster's then with a little bit of patience and experience they are actually much easier to grow than I thought they would be, the secrets in the casing soil. If u want pic's I can email

Edited by Fried Brains (09/29/11 06:24 PM)

OnlineSulfurshelfsean
Defender of Cubes
 User Gallery

Re: Agaricus Blazei Murrill [Re: Fried Brains]
    #15154499 - 09/29/11 06:28 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Pics would be amazing, thanks for the detailed and helpful response! Like I said its been hard finding someone whose had experience with these. Ill pm you my email adress if you can send me those pictures.

--------------------

OfflineFried Brains
    #15154553 - 09/29/11 06:39 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Footnote: There is no reason why these mushroom should be so expensive, the yields by weight are normally very good, they are big mushrooms, cost of growing is not that much more than oysters, because the average cultivator is intimidated by what sounds to be difficult, its a bit of a "closed shop" can u believe Stamet wants $40,000 dollars for his strain ? they actually easier than some illegal mushrooms, its really important to get a good strain, or you will have problems. I recommend Mycelia, Belgium about $100. I will post a link later.

OfflineFried Brains
    #15154559 - 09/29/11 06:40 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Cool !

OnlineSulfurshelfsean
Defender of Cubes
 User Gallery

#15154666 - 09/29/11 07:03 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Next time I buy ABM spores I'll definately look at your source, but do you think isolating on agar will help my chances of getting a good strain? I have a bunch of plates and pre-mixed agar powder on their way, and already have some agar-agar in the noodle style here. Also, will a standard agar recipe be good? Or is there anything different I should do for growing agaricus?

--------------------

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #15154757 - 09/29/11 07:24 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Interesting. Can't you post pictures here Fried Brains? It would be really nice to see some success. The strain I have (cloned from a fruiting MRCA-multispore culture) only gives me headaches. Most of the cultures never get past tiny primordia and only very few outdoor attempts manage to fruit properly.

Regarding substrates, besides everything that works for Agaricus bisporus, like compost and manure, ABM can also be grown on sawdust/bran as well as spent substrate from other mushroom species with some added bran. For agar, MEA or PDA will be fine.

Carsten

OnlineSulfurshelfsean
Defender of Cubes
 User Gallery

#15154822 - 09/29/11 07:39 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you! Yeah I got the some pre-mixed MEA on the way, I'll go with that for the time being.

--------------------

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #15156123 - 09/30/11 12:17 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

:popcorn:

(sorry, nothing to add, but compost types are something that I am studying)

--------------------
Boyd Rice told my brother that life is a corny pack of freesakes

Myco-tek.org

OnlineSulfurshelfsean
Defender of Cubes
 User Gallery

Re: Agaricus Blazei Murrill [Re: Javadog]
    #15162722 - 10/01/11 02:21 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Okay so heres the plan thus far: I have access to leaf and grass compost in different stages of composition. I'm thinking I'll take a few pounds of semi-decomposed grass, and a few cupfulls of the compost hummus and mixing them together with some horse poo from my neighbors horses, and maybe a tablespoon of gypsum. Take the mixture put it in a bin with a bunch of holes drilled in it, put that bin in an identacle bin, and putting them both in another bin, no holes, with a brick in the bottom to suspend the upper bins from puddles (pretty much the same setup as a vermicompost). Its rained just about every day here, and doesnt look like its gonna end soon, any thoughts on drying the poo? it should already be well leeched... I'll let this decompose while my jars are colonizing (plan to use straight rye berries,any better suggestions?). Past that, I think I'll follow

--------------------

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #15163342 - 10/01/11 04:47 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Your composting idea won't work, as composting need lots of oxygen and your ingredients are already decomposed. That mixture sounds OK though, so you better just pasteurize it and follow the advice of Fried Brains.

Carsten

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #15164697 - 10/01/11 10:25 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

If I remember correctly. The reason Stamet's Blazei strain is so expensive is because it is patented and is said to produce a lot of medicinal product. I have been working with 12 new Blazei strains lately and I must say they have been producing lots of primordia on dog food /carbon agar.

Here is a couple I tore into today. Once they start fluffing up it is hard to get wedges off the plates. Yeah they are old plates. They take off like a rocket though.

Lipa

Edited by lipa (10/01/11 10:40 PM)

OnlineSulfurshelfsean
Defender of Cubes
 User Gallery

Re: Agaricus Blazei Murrill [Re: lipa]
    #15164723 - 10/01/11 10:32 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Oh wow, thats some dank looking mycellium. I'd love to get a culture off of you sometime if its possible (probably after I've tried my hand at it).

--------------------

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #15164742 - 10/01/11 10:37 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Sure

Lipa

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agaricus Blazei Murrill [Re: lipa]
    #15164779 - 10/01/11 10:50 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Wow Lipa, that mycelium in the first dish is beautiful.

Carsten

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract