Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Straight Outta Compton Flag
Re: Why does my laptop run Team Fortress 2 and Portal 1 but can't run minecraft? [Re: K K]
    #15113479 - 09/21/11 07:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

K K said:
Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.
In the left pane, click Change settings. Under Optional updates, choose the option that you want. Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box, and then click ok.

Or You can do this.

Go to HERE and download the file. Save it to your Downloads folder or whatever you use and run it and follow the on screen directions.

Thanks I downloaded a couple updates.  Doesn't seem like they help with minecraft though.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineK K
Mr.e
Male

Loc: Somewhere, USA Flag
Re: Why does my laptop run Team Fortress 2 and Portal 1 but can't run minecraft? [Re: RonaldFuckingPaul]
    #15113793 - 09/21/11 07:56 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Oh man, running out of options. The last thing I can suggest which should have been number one is the change the view distance while in the game. I believe its v or something like that. Hit the key and move/look around and if its choppy hit it again and repeat. You should notice the distant blocks being obscured by fog.

Edit:

Go in the game and get to the main menu (Single player, Multiplayer, etc.) and go to options, then video settings.

Set>>        Graphics: Fast          Render Distance: Tiny or Short
            Smooth Lighting: Off      Performance: Max FPS or Power Saver
            3D Analyph: Off          View Bobbing: Off (doesn't matter)
            GUI Scale: Large        Advanced OpenGL: Off

The GUI Scale and View Bobbing are more personal preference but the others will definitely affect performance or the low FPS (laggy) that you are experiencing (ESPECIALLY the Render Distance). I will guarantee that adjusting these variable will have your game running super smooth. I really hope this fixes your issue because I'm out of ideas. If its still slow, compare the minimum system requirements to your laptop. Good Luck

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Straight Outta Compton Flag
Re: Why does my laptop run Team Fortress 2 and Portal 1 but can't run minecraft? [Re: K K]
    #15113844 - 09/21/11 08:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

K K said:
Oh man, running out of options. The last thing I can suggest which should have been number one is the change the view distance while in the game. I believe its v or something like that. Hit the key and move/look around and if its choppy hit it again and repeat. You should notice the distant blocks being obscured by fog.

Edit:

Go in the game and get to the main menu (Single player, Multiplayer, etc.) and go to options, then video settings.

Set>>        Graphics: Fast          Render Distance: Tiny or Short
            Smooth Lighting: Off      Performance: Max FPS or Power Saver
            3D Analyph: Off          View Bobbing: Off (doesn't matter)
            GUI Scale: Large        Advanced OpenGL: Off

The GUI Scale and View Bobbing are more personal preference but the others will definitely affect performance or the low FPS (laggy) that you are experiencing (ESPECIALLY the Render Distance). I will guarantee that adjusting these variable will have your game running super smooth. I really hope this fixes your issue because I'm out of ideas. If its still slow, compare the minimum system requirements to your laptop. Good Luck

Runs a bit better but still laggy.  Fuck my life.:feelsbadman:  I'm gonna wait for 5Ht-synaptrip to respond hopefully he can help me with the optimus bullshit.

--------------------

OfflineK K
Mr.e
Male

Loc: Somewhere, USA Flag
Re: Why does my laptop run Team Fortress 2 and Portal 1 but can't run minecraft? [Re: RonaldFuckingPaul]
    #15113878 - 09/21/11 08:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Damn. Sorry brother, tried the best I could. Good luck :laugh:

Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
    #15122097 - 09/23/11 10:42 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

dude, didn't you say you are having video driver problems?? :facepalm:

this will effect all applications that you try and run that use video memory. It's cool that you got it running at all though. good stuff, but let me know when you fix your nvidia driver :lol:

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Re: Why does my laptop run Team Fortress 2 and Portal 1 but can't run minecraft? [Re: 5HTSynaptrip]
    #15122153 - 09/23/11 10:57 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

5HTSynaptrip said:
Do you have Optimus or whatever the fuck it's called where the laptop is supposed to dynamically switch to the dedicated chip when needed?  You may have installed the wrong driver or the 310m isn't taking over on the video for some reason.  This technology is still early, and you have the earlier version of it, so that may be it.  I've seen a ton of people have problems with that shit.  Some laptops even allow you to switch it somehow with modded BIOS' I believe. 

You should definitely be able to play Minecraft with a 310m.  The DXDIAG only shows the intel HD because the 310m isn't being used or the test is so low the 310 wasn't needed.  Try to run a benchmark using something like 3DMark.  If you updated drivers without using the right ones or without using DriverSweeper you may have artifacts preventing correct functionality.

yeah I'd bench mark using fur or whatever it is. but this guy is having driver problems with his optimus nvidia technology, it is supposed to switch gpu's automatically, which sounds like a recipe for disaster. I'd go to the bios and try and select one for usage instead of letting winblows decide to switch gpu usage after the bios have well and loaded.

but you are forgetting, this guy has a post in the science and technology forum, his computer won't boot if he boots using the nvidia gpu, he is having driver/hardware issues. we don't know if that problem is resolved yet :lol:

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Why does my laptop run Team Fortress 2 and Portal 1 but can't run minecraft? [Re: imachavel]
    #15135373 - 09/26/11 02:56 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

normal is the best veiw distance

it keeps multiplayer from reloading over and over and keeps single player smooth

InvisibleMike_yy
Male User Gallery

#15135652 - 09/26/11 06:41 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I don't understand all this computer chat but make sure your laptop's not set to power saver.

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

#15135958 - 09/26/11 08:59 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

reeferaddict69 said:
Quote:

Bretdaniel said:
How well does your PC actually run Portal and TF2? What settings? What kind of laptop do you have?

It runs TF2 and Portal quite well at normal settings.  I have an asus with 4096Mb of RAM.  Intel core(I think quad) i3 CPU U 330 @ 1.20 GHz, Nvidia GeForce 310M(I'm pretty sure it's a low end graphics card right?).

Very slow processor, comparably weak graphics. You didn't specify a lot of pertinent info, like what DX level you're running source games at, what resolution, what texture size, etc.

Source dates back to (06'?) and is known for it's scalability. It's entirely feasible that Source games would have lower requirements (scaled back) than Minecraft. Add onto that the fact that Minecraft hasn't always been the most reliable program.

--------------------

wat man rly

Edited by blujay (09/26/11 09:00 AM)

Offlinesnoochy42
Professional Hobbiest
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston Texas
    #20946803 - 12/08/14 10:17 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

So, this was never answered properly it seems. Reason more then likely is your lack of RAM. Minecraft isn't like most games and was poorly coded using Java, Notch didn't expect it originally to take off the way it did. On average a computer with 2 gigs or less may struggle, you'll have to drop your Rendor Distance almost all the way down, and set it for basic lighting. If you have 4 gigs then you should be able to handle the game just fine unless you using a ridiculous amount of modes. Apart from RAM, this games requires just about as much graphics requirements as Solitare, and a minimal grade processor. I host a Minecraft server out of my house from a "bare bones" computer that graphically can't handle a Playstation 1 emulator, but with 12 gigs of ram and good internet,  supports a 20 player server. This server only cost $280 online.

--------------------
"Thing's are only impossible because your state of mind make it so!" Prof. John R. Searl

Edited by snoochy42 (12/08/14 10:20 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder