Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineluckee8989
Stranger

1st grow roller coaster: metabolites, fast pinning, uneven progress and fluctuating temps (pics)
    #15078674 - 09/14/11 03:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

So, I have 9/12 jars that made it through to near 100% colonization and had to throw out 3 to contams. They colonized extremely quickly in a darker place with some light (cardboard tray on side shelf of an open closet facing the window) and in ~68-70 deg F. Unfortunately we keep our place pretty cool, but I try to turn up the thermostat when no one is home.

They've probably continued colonizing only a small amount, if at all, this past week. However, I expected much whiter, more solid mycelium than this. Additionally, one of my jars has already started pinning and growing invitro (below)! There are some pins on a couple others too. Is it okay to keep waiting just a few more days to birth them all at the same time? The less colonized jars:

Also, the yellow on this myc worries me. It's just metabolites, right? It's been there for a good while and doesn't seem to be going away. The metabolites on the left and the fast pinner on the right:

Also...will temps of ~65-68 really be terrible?

Thanks for any help! I'm having a blast!

Edited by luckee8989 (09/14/11 03:10 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIntotheMystic
Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st grow roller coaster: metabolites, fast pinning, uneven progress and fluctuating temps (pics) [Re: luckee8989]
    #15078776 - 09/14/11 03:38 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I stuck a heating pad in the space with mine and got the temp up to about 80 but BE CAREFUL not to get them too hot...and I have no idea about the yellow stuff I'm new to this too

--------------------
"We'll ride the spiral to the end we may just go where no one's been"

Offlinetrophycase
Dickface

Re: 1st grow roller coaster: metabolites, fast pinning, uneven progress and fluctuating temps (pics) [Re: luckee8989]
    #15078843 - 09/14/11 03:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

That jar on the left don't look quite right to me... I would toss it. Most of the pics I've seen of metabolites are small little drops, and I believe that metabolites are a reaction to bacteria/contams competing with the myc... It could be metabolites, but there's definitely something a little out of the ordinary with that jar.
Wait for others to chime in, as I haven't really had experience with metabolites... I'm not saying it's for sure a contam, it just doesn't look quite right.

And don't worry about the pins. Let that bad boy finish colonizing and throw it into the FC. :thumbup:

P.S. Your temps should be OK, but not prefered, and will probably be al ittle slower than the norm.

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: infinite dimensional void
Re: 1st grow roller coaster: metabolites, fast pinning, uneven progress and fluctuating temps (pics) [Re: trophycase]
    #15078973 - 09/14/11 04:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

At least 25% of your jaws contaminated. That means you're doing something wrong.

Quote:

However, I expected much whiter, more solid mycelium than this.

Don't worry about it. It's MS culture. :shrug:

Quote:

Additionally, one of my jars has already started pinning and growing invitro (below)!

It might be contaminated. Early fruiting is usually caused by contamination. You can either keep it in the jaw and hope that it will reach 100% or toss it.

Quote:

Is it okay to keep waiting just a few more days to birth them all at the same time?

A few days won't do much harm.

Quote:

Also, the yellow on this myc worries me. It's just metabolites, right?

It might be contaminated with bacteria. If it reaches 100% don't worry about it either.

Quote:

Also...will temps of ~65-68 really be terrible?

75°F would be better, but it will just slow down the metabolism of the myc. You'll be fine.

--------------------
Stand up. You're not alone.

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

Loc: U.S. Flag
Re: 1st grow roller coaster: metabolites, fast pinning, uneven progress and fluctuating temps (pics) [Re: Lord_McLovin]
    #15079025 - 09/14/11 05:06 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Where have you seen that early pinning is a sign of contamination? Let alone usually caused by contamination.
Ever jar i've had so far has pinned invitro.

--------------------
My Trade List

I post fictional information that i have developed through years of extreme delirium and from suffering strange delusions that i partake in illegal activites. The shroomery.org is merely my outlet for these delusions.

Offlinetrophycase
Dickface

Re: 1st grow roller coaster: metabolites, fast pinning, uneven progress and fluctuating temps (pics) [Re: Fungus_monk]
    #15079065 - 09/14/11 05:16 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fungus_monk said:
Where have you seen that early pinning is a sign of contamination? Let alone usually caused by contamination.

I was wondering the same thing... I've never heard anybody say that invitro pinning is a sign of contams. RR talks about invitro pins all the time in some of this notes, and never says anything about contams being the cause. Furthermore, I don't think I've ever seen somebody say that their jar with invitros got contam'd soon after... Most people leave it till full colonization and birth it with no problems... Do you have any sources?

--------------------
All of the cultivation photos uploaded by this account were taken in an area of the globe where such practices are legal and uninhibited.

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st grow roller coaster: metabolites, fast pinning, uneven progress and fluctuating temps (pics) [Re: Fungus_monk]
    #15079093 - 09/14/11 05:21 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I read it in one of RR's responses. He said, that the myc tries to reproduce itself by forming fruitbodies, because it cannot fight of the contam well enough.
Unfortunately, I cannot find the exact post, only this one:
Quote:

RR said
Usually, something is the trigger for early pinning, such as bacterial contamination.

I mean it's certainly not too much FAE during colonization which causes his cake to pin. Contamination seems pretty plausible.

--------------------

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

Re: 1st grow roller coaster: metabolites, fast pinning, uneven progress and fluctuating temps (pics) [Re: Lord_McLovin]
    #15079101 - 09/14/11 05:23 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I think i've heard of bacteria causing it on grains. But that doesnt apply to the op.
I might be wrong though, idk :shrug:

--------------------
My Trade List

I post fictional information that i have developed through years of extreme delirium and from suffering strange delusions that i partake in illegal activites. The shroomery.org is merely my outlet for these delusions.

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

#15079126 - 09/14/11 05:31 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fungus_monk said:

Do your jaws take very long until they are fully colonized? Maybe you pack your substrate too tightly.

Quote:

I think i've heard of bacteria causing it on grains. But that doesnt apply to the op.

That's just another kind of substrate. :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

#15079161 - 09/14/11 05:42 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

No i dont pack too tight.
I use tall half pints but i think it is more determined by genetics. Its only happened to my b+ cakes.

And yes i know grains are a substrate, but i personally feel bacterial contaminations are more common on grains than on brf.

--------------------
My Trade List

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

#15079185 - 09/14/11 05:48 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fungus_monk said:
No i dont pack too tight.
I use tall half pints but i think it is more determined by genetics. Its only happened to my b+ cakes.

To be honest, I'm not sure about this one. It might be that genetics play a role here, maybe not. I don't know.

Quote:

And yes i know grains are a substrate, but i personally feel bacterial contaminations are more common on grains than on brf.

That doesn't make sense to me. Why should bacterial contamination be more common in grains than in cakes?

--------------------

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

#15079252 - 09/14/11 06:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Im just telling you thats what i've seen :shrug:
Im not here to argue

--------------------
My Trade List

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

#15079297 - 09/14/11 06:13 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Haha.
Sorry, I did not mean to start an argument. :smile:
I suppose bacterial contamination just becomes more visible in grains. Maybe I'm wrong though.
No, I probably am wrong. :ahahaha:

--------------------

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

#15079305 - 09/14/11 06:15 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Lord_McLovin said:

I suppose bacterial contamination just becomes more visible in grains.

thats probably it, never thought of that

--------------------
My Trade List

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

#15079312 - 09/14/11 06:16 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I think that's just speculation.

--------------------

Offlineluckee8989
Stranger

#15083565 - 09/15/11 04:15 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the feedback regardless guys. Now waiting to birth until they look perfect.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale