Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrjack
Stranger
Little grubs/ maggots in mushrooms
    #15072901 - 09/13/11 12:50 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I dried out about 20 mushrooms I picked today (crap find I know) under a lamp, and I noticed about 7 little white maggots just under half a cm long in the container with them. The mushrooms looked fine when I picked them, with the exception of one that I threw away due to bite marks in it. I've checked each one now they're dry and they're maggot free. Is it safe to eat these? I remember last year I found one in a batch I was about to eat, but I brushed it off and hoped for the best, but now there's more than one it worries me slightly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEl Douche
El Douchius Maximus

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Drippin Outa Da Vag Flag
Re: Little grubs/ maggots in mushrooms [Re: Mrjack]
    #15072919 - 09/13/11 12:53 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

:popcorn:

I have seen them with maggots too. Not very appetizing. I just found some, and got a sporeprint overnight for an ID, and it was infested with hairy maggots.

--------------------
I'm The Douche, Doucher, His Royal Doucheness, or El Doucherino if you are not into that whole brevity thing.

Trade List : Wanted/have edible cultures, ethobotanicals, cool plants, cacti.

Offlinefrenchtoaststix
Male

Loc: Southern California
Re: Little grubs/ maggots in mushrooms [Re: El Douche]
    #15072996 - 09/13/11 01:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The maggots come out when you dry them, or at least many do. I don't know if any get trapped by the shrinking mushroom. Check out my post I made last night. Maggots liquified a Pluteus I found. :eek: Most mushrooms I find have some living creatures in them, but they are small. I wouldn't go looking for them if I were you.

Edit: I forgot to say just eat them too. You know they stole some of your magic right?  :bigjoint:

Edited by frenchtoaststix (09/13/11 01:19 PM)

OfflineMrjack
Stranger
Re: Little grubs/ maggots in mushrooms [Re: frenchtoaststix]
    #15073112 - 09/13/11 01:39 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Haha, thanks for the info. I just wonder how the little bastards found them before I did!

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Re: Little grubs/ maggots in mushrooms [Re: Mrjack]
    #15073653 - 09/13/11 03:22 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

We call them Added Protein

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

OfflineFungi01
John Plischke
Male User Gallery

Loc: Western Pennsylvania
Trusted Identifier
Re: Little grubs/ maggots in mushrooms [Re: HarryL]
    #15073663 - 09/13/11 03:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

HarryL said:
We call them Added Protein

Yep and as long as I dont see any after I am done picking and cleaning the shrooms I dont mind.  I do try trimming back the stem however if their are lots of holes through it.

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Re: Little grubs/ maggots in mushrooms [Re: Fungi01]
    #15074400 - 09/13/11 06:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

If you ever hunt oyster mushrooms... There is a little beetle you need to wash out of the gills... Don't need a 'pop' sound while eating them....

Probably one of those things we don't want to know, how many bugs we eat...

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

Offlinejust1witness
Strange once
Female

Loc: Central NY
    #15074953 - 09/13/11 07:58 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Lol, I agree with the added protein statement, doesn't bother me one bit.............just as long as no squishy guts remain... 

:chew:  :cthulhu: hello!  :puke:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #15076048 - 09/13/11 11:36 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The bugs themselves are, of course, actually good for you. High in protein, low in fat. Most of the peoples of the world eat insects, as protein is often difficult to get enough of.

The bad part is that, as they tunnel through the mushroom, they're leaving shit behind. The issue with eating shit (aside from the disgust factor) is actually the pathogenic bacteria that are often in it. And the maggot shit often contains exactly the same pathogenic bacteria that are often found in human shit.

As long as there isn't very much shit, your immune system will generally handle things without any problems. If there are a lot of tunnels, the balance can shift toward the bacteria. Washing and cooking mushrooms will help eliminate the shit and bacteria (and maggots).

The rule I follow is to ask myself if I'd eat a regular fruit or vegetable that's in that shape. If I see one or two small tunnels in something, it's not really a big deal. If there are lots of tunnels, or it's starting to look like it's rotting, time to throw it out. Food poisoning sucks.

Just use common sense while looking at them, and don't allow yourself to become desperate to justify eating them no matter what. If you've found some good ones, you'll find more. With practice, you'll get better and better at finding them.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinejanjunk
Stranger
Female
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio Flag
Re: Little grubs/ maggots in mushrooms [Re: El Douche]
    #24524435 - 08/02/17 09:24 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

So, I don't know how this all works as I just joined.  I was googling mushrooms that melt and turn into white maggots and found your site so I joined.  I had two large groups of multiple mushrooms one day and the nest day they were a melting, brown pile of goo with wiggling, small, white worms in them.  Should I kill them? What are they?  Will they turn into a fly of some sort? Are they bad? Help, I am just so curious.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies