Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegnome4766
Stranger
Male

Loc: U.K. Flag
Worms and mites in drying mushrooms
    #15047833 - 09/08/11 12:28 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hello shroomery.  A friend of mine recently picked over 300 liberty caps.  He has laid these mushrooms out on cardboard and left them to air dry.  But after 1 days worth of drying many have became infected with worms and mites. 
I suggested these may die off when the drying process completes. 

Is there any remedy for these pests.  Could they be smoked out?  or suffocated? 

Also I mentioned it may have been because he collected mouldy, infected mushrooms in the first place.  Could this be the cause?

Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpeck1186
Student
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Worms and mites in drying mushrooms [Re: gnome4766]
    #15047843 - 09/08/11 12:29 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

why don't you look up a drying method and tell him about it lol.:rocket:

--------------------

Offlinemasspan
l'eclair
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Worms and mites in drying mushrooms [Re: gnome4766]
    #15048355 - 09/08/11 02:01 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

make tea and strain it, store it for a few frigid days

or chuck it, you won't convince anyone they actually like the idea of eating grubs

although someone might come on here and say 'just eat them you pussy', of course they may or may not actually do that themselves, my guess is...sometimes

:sunny:

--------------------

my mother said, to get things done, you'd better not mess with Major Tom...whose status is the baddest, everytime 'they' bless the apparatus

OfflineNeoSporen
Antibiotic cream
Other User Gallery

Loc: Graham, WA
Re: Worms and mites in drying mushrooms [Re: masspan]
    #15048388 - 09/08/11 02:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

masspan said:
'just eat them you pussy',

I find little bugs and what not all the time chowing away at the actives I pick. They die off in the dehydrator, but if you eat fresh fungi from outside, you better believe you are eating bugs. Nothing wrong with a bit of extra protein:wink: If they are super infested, you might wanna just chuck them. Also, just laying them on cardboard in a room will result in a pile of mush. You need to research proper drying techniques if you want "dry" mushrooms, not soggy and half dry.

--------------------
Having lived through an existence close to nature, one accepts the small and simple things as most important in life. Sun, wind, rain and snow. The sounds birds make, smells of fresh wild flowers. Love of all kinds, from friends and family, thy self and our neighbors. Beautiful sunrises to the darkest clouds dancing above in the sky. To forgive, learn, share and express. This is the only thing a man such as myself can ask for. What comes as the result is nothing short of the core of human existence, to truly live free in body and mind.

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Re: Worms and mites in drying mushrooms [Re: NeoSporen]
    #15048504 - 09/08/11 02:32 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Just to be clear

The mushrooms had the maggots and bugs before they were picked... Did not happen while they were drying. If you let them dry, most will leave the mushrooms and eating them will be mostly bug free.

But yes, do not pick moldy mushrooms. They can cause gastric upset, not because of the bugs but because of the mold.

Hope this doesn't really bug you....

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

Offlineehtdaedlufetarg
Toadstool Taxonomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Trusted Identifier
Re: Worms and mites in drying mushrooms [Re: NeoSporen]
    #15048816 - 09/08/11 03:28 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

bfogg8706 said:
Quote:

masspan said:
'just eat them you pussy',

I find little bugs and what not all the time chowing away at the actives I pick. They die off in the dehydrator, but if you eat fresh fungi from outside, you better believe you are eating bugs.

I recently took some of the racks of my dehydrator, and looked at the part to catch debris that sifts thru the racks. I found a 8th inch of dead insects.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains