Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleThe Whale

Loc: Flag
This one is for Icelander
    #14870711 - 08/04/11 04:22 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Satire aside, are our cognitive abilities inseparable from the emotional roller coaster of life? Other relatively "intelligent" species don't become chronically depressed, irrationally suicidal, or find themselves reflecting on their mortality (as far as we can tell). 

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: This one is for Icelander [Re: The Whale]
    #14870722 - 08/04/11 04:29 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

lol i m a bit confused... is this part fact and fiction?

--------------------

InvisibleThe Whale

Re: This one is for Icelander [Re: Noteworthy]
    #14870847 - 08/04/11 05:49 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It's the Onion.

--------------------

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#14870929 - 08/04/11 06:33 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

yeah but the onion often mixes fact and fiction. Other times it uses primarily fiction.

in this clip, the actress is in contact with a gorrila. Is that a trick of editing? or has the onion payed for access to a gorrila???

or another explanation - the footage is genuine but the onion has extracted scenes that make the zoologists seem ridiculous

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #14870941 - 08/04/11 06:40 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The Whale said:
Satire aside, are our cognitive abilities inseparable from the emotional roller coaster of life? Other relatively "intelligent" species don't become chronically depressed, irrationally suicidal, or find themselves reflecting on their mortality (as far as we can tell). 

:lol:  I've seen that one.  pretty funny.  From my experience and studies our impermanence anxieties are the core issue of our existence for us.  We all use shields to avoid the constant confrontation with that reality, (Terror Management Theory).  Our choices center around the shields we choose for ourselves. Some make for an interesting and relatively pleasant journey here and other for intense suffering.  The only way one can have the most choice in which shields they choose imo is to face death anxiety to some degree and bring it into conscious awareness.  Not an easy or pleasant process by a long shot with no guarantees.  Most people flee from the idea.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: This one is for Icelander [Re: Icelander]
    #14871094 - 08/04/11 07:48 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

The Whale said:

:lol:  I've seen that one.  pretty funny.  From my experience and studies our impermanence anxieties are the core issue of our existence for us.  We all use shields to avoid the constant confrontation with that reality, (Terror Management Theory).  Our choices center around the shields we choose for ourselves. Some make for an interesting and relatively pleasant journey here and other for intense suffering.  The only way one can have the most choice in which shields they choose imo is to face death anxiety to some degree and bring it into conscious awareness.  Not an easy or pleasant process by a long shot with no guarantees.  Most people flee from the idea.

Yes let's reinforce death anxiety.  This should help us deal with our death anxiety. 

I liked the part where they were proud to have induced a panic attack in the gorilla.  For some reason that amused me.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: This one is for Icelander [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #14871145 - 08/04/11 08:02 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It's working well for me, actually I can honestly say I've never been happier in my life that I can remember.  Your mileage may vary, like I stated, no guarantees.:shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleThe Whale

#14871249 - 08/04/11 08:44 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

In a paradoxical fashion, what if our desire and motivation to admit to ourselves the influence of our behavior is mostly death anxiety is but itself another form of death anxiety? In other words, because we cannot seek refuge in ideology, we create rationalization and ideology out of death and its inescapability by embracing it. In essence it's still embracing something, no?

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#14871266 - 08/04/11 08:53 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah right, if I understand you correctly, I've thought a lot about that.  it's a convoluted process imo. It's just my shield now.  I know there is no way to exist without some shield. Confronting death and impermanence on a conscious level has gotten the :thumbup: from many sources such as the Buddhists, and Carlos Castaneda via don Juan etc.  In my case it seems to reduce the anxiety better than anything I've ever used and created a state of acceptance and clarity in myself and about myself that I've never had before.  However the process was very difficult and I was on the edge of suicide for over a year and had several years of very dark depression. I could have killed myself easily before I had my breakthrough of sorts.  It's likely more of the road less traveled and only for certain temperaments.  :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

#14871294 - 08/04/11 09:02 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

yeah ^_^

--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

InvisibleThe Whale

#14872300 - 08/04/11 01:07 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Yeah right, if I understand you correctly, I've thought a lot about that.  it's a convoluted process imo. It's just my shield now.  I know there is no way to exist without some shield. Confronting death and impermanence on a conscious level has gotten the :thumbup: from many sources such as the Buddhists, and Carlos Castaneda via don Juan etc.  In my case it seems to reduce the anxiety better than anything I've ever used and created a state of acceptance and clarity in myself and about myself that I've never had before.  However the process was very difficult and I was on the edge of suicide for over a year and had several years of very dark depression. I could have killed myself easily before I had my breakthrough of sorts.  It's likely more of the road less traveled and only for certain temperaments. 
:shrug:

Very honest and straight-forward response.

Regarding its potential as a perceptual "shield," I've personally begun to see people's identities (in the form of careers, hobbies, personalities, etc.) as more or less masks and shields. Behind the labels that we inhabit like race car drivers behind the wheel exists something else. The primal, confused, and needy ape that we all are no doubt varies among the different people of the world - but in my own world view I'm starting to see a lot of overlap and similarity in people.

--------------------

Offlinefoliocb
always running
Male

#14872506 - 08/04/11 01:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

what was the breakthrough like?

--------------------
^v^

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#14872591 - 08/04/11 02:17 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The Whale said:
Quote:

Icelander said:
Yeah right, if I understand you correctly, I've thought a lot about that.  it's a convoluted process imo. It's just my shield now.  I know there is no way to exist without some shield. Confronting death and impermanence on a conscious level has gotten the :thumbup: from many sources such as the Buddhists, and Carlos Castaneda via don Juan etc.  In my case it seems to reduce the anxiety better than anything I've ever used and created a state of acceptance and clarity in myself and about myself that I've never had before.  However the process was very difficult and I was on the edge of suicide for over a year and had several years of very dark depression. I could have killed myself easily before I had my breakthrough of sorts.  It's likely more of the road less traveled and only for certain temperaments. 
:shrug:

Very honest and straight-forward response.

Regarding its potential as a perceptual "shield," I've personally begun to see people's identities (in the form of careers, hobbies, personalities, etc.) as more or less masks and shields. Behind the labels that we inhabit like race car drivers behind the wheel exists something else. The primal, confused, and needy ape that we all are no doubt varies among the different people of the world - but in my own world view I'm starting to see a lot of overlap and similarity in people.

You have come on your own the the conclusions Becker has reached and I'm sure you would get a ton out of reading Denial of Death. :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder