Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: BaSSidio Head] * 1
    #14847459 - 07/30/11 07:00 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I was obsessed with thru-hiking the AT for years, never fully did it but talked to tons of thru-hikers from previous years

General consensus was that you COULD do it for as little as ~$1,000. Provided you have most/all of the gear already and dehydrate most of your meals in advance and supplement along the way with wild foods and go super thrifty style and go without a lot of the special luxuries people like to get along the way. (some people like to take 1 or 2 day "town" breaks, where you spend a day in a hotel or hostel or something in town to rest/shower/clean clothes/pick up supplies/gorge on food etc. ) And when you are in the woods for weeks at a time those days are precious.

Most people plan for it costing around 2-3k total is about the average consensus for a "comfortable" trip. 2k at least JUST for the trip without any gear seems to be about the minimum most people are comfortable with. 5k seems like a little overkill to me but I guess overall including all gear and splurging on stuff that might be a little realistic. I'm just taking a random guesstimate here, but you could get fully decked out in ultralight gear for a thru hike for ~1k. I've bought all my stuff pieces at a time over long periods of time so I'm not sure but I'm guessing around that.

Also depends how many miles you cover a day. Some people a full thru-hike takes ~3 months some people takes 6-7.
Also have to consider you are gone from "reality" for 6 months, so you are not working, and if you have bills and rent.. well need to figure that out too.. that's the main thing that ever held me back from fully doing it. I just couldn't afford that... AND leaving work, and not paying rent. If you have the monies and can escape from society for months at a time then I would do it in a heartbeat. Although it takes a certain kind of person, not everyone wants to or can walk 2,000+ miles in the woods with a backpack.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlueLightRain
WhoaUnbrokenChain
Male User Gallery

Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: Capers]
    #14850909 - 07/31/11 09:49 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hey zappateer...if you get a chance could you post your gear list? Thanks!

--------------------
mushroomjoe.com - that's me!

Invisiblemoonrockmushy
High on Spite
 User Gallery

#14860037 - 08/02/11 04:20 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

zappateer said:
I am taking lots of pictures but won't have time to post them until I get home. If anyone has any questions I would be glad to answer them but will be unable to check often or give very thoughtful responses until I get home.

Thanks for reading. It's been such an amazing experience that I want to share it with more people.

Awesome!!!  Hope to hear more!

Offlinei like cow poo
Nature Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mother Nature's Vagina
Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #14864424 - 08/02/11 09:36 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

living the dream. I eat like a bottomless pit and I'm only 135lbs!
I'd be worried about having enough food on the trail! And getting mugged.
But I do wish to make this same exact epic journey someday!:awesomenod:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: i like cow poo]
    #14865597 - 08/03/11 02:33 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Don't think you have to worry about getting mugged on the AT.... not many thugs in the middle of the forest :lol:
Seriously though, people that hike the trail are like an extended family. They look out for each other. I've never really run across a complete douchebag backpacker.

--------------------

Offlinei like cow poo
Nature Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mother Nature's Vagina
Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: Shroomism]
    #14866191 - 08/03/11 07:42 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

thats awesome! how often do you restock food?

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Charm City
Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: BaSSidio Head]
    #14874629 - 08/04/11 11:04 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BaSSidio Head said:
But you have to have that food shipped to places, plus most often you have to buy ultralight minimalist gear so you don't have a 65 lb pack. I am sure you could do it cheaper, but things add up pretty quickly

Shipping doesn't cost that much. A flat rate usps box that costs 10 bucks to ship held about 2-3 weeks worth of dehydrated food when I did it. I opted for the cooking stove made out of an empty cat food tin. Really doesn't need to be expensive.

A food dehydrator, especially if you dumspter dive, pays for itself very, very quickly.

--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil

- Thomas Paine

Offlinesasquatch
Living Proof
Male

Loc: United States of America Flag
Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: gluke bastid]
    #14893146 - 08/08/11 10:10 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I too am gearing up for a AT hike, though I won't be able to through hike it just yet, my situation won't allow it at the moment sadly, I will be starting a section hike at Springer Mountain on May 31 or June 1 of 2012, and I will be ending at Hot Springs, North Carolina. Around 278.2 miles I believe to be exact! I will be taking it very slow as my girlfriend and soon to be fiance will be joining me covering about 8 miles a day, it will take about 30 days with some zeros in there too! Good vibes to you and your grow my lad!

--------------------
BE EASY

In 1965, Leary commented that he "learned more about his brain and its possibilities and more about psychology in the five hours after taking these mushrooms than he had in the preceding fifteen years of studying and doing research in psychology."

:awebig: :awetrippie: :raveface: :awecid:

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: sasquatch]
    #14971038 - 08/24/11 01:21 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, this got a lot of responses, thanks. I don't have time to answer each question right now, but I will make sure to do so when I get home.

I've really been cruising lately, 20-25 miles a day. I'm in Harper's Ferry, WV right now at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy HQ. I'm about 1167 miles in with about 1014 to go. Later today or tomorrow I will enter Virginia, which contains more of the trail than any other state: about 550 miles.

I will post a gear list when I get home along with pics and thoughtful responses. I'll try to post a couple more times before then too.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #14973711 - 08/24/11 10:13 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Rock on zappateer. Good health too.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineAnonymousRabbit
Comrade
 User Gallery

. [Re: Capers]
    #14973760 - 08/24/11 10:22 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

Edited by AnonymousRabbit (05/19/22 12:38 AM)

OfflineBlueLightRain
WhoaUnbrokenChain
Male User Gallery

#14981511 - 08/26/11 11:20 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

zappateer said:
I've really been cruising lately, 20-25 miles a day. I'm in Harper's Ferry, WV right now at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy HQ. I'm about 1167 miles in with about 1014 to go. Later today or tomorrow I will enter Virginia, which contains more of the trail than any other state: about 550 miles.

You're half way through dude that's badass!

--------------------
mushroomjoe.com - that's me!

Offlinethetonebone72
Hunter -Gatherer
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #15133525 - 09/25/11 06:04 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Can't wait to hear about the journey Zappateer!

Trudgin' through the forest, mile after mile...all the way down to Georgia.  Watch out for Nanook.  :zappa:

--------------------
Hunt On, Good Fellow

InvisibleMeetzu
G̙̗͙̞̮͖̥a͉̭̹r̝̹͖̬d̞̮̻̪en̫̭e̱r̼
Male

Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: thetonebone72]
    #15189610 - 10/06/11 11:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Posting to follow this. I did 26 days in Jan-Feb in 06 just to kind of push things as far as body and mind. I admire this dedication.

--------------------

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: Meetzu]
    #15305994 - 10/31/11 09:25 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hey all. I finished my thru hike October 20 in the cold fog on Springer Mtn. It was the coldest afternoon on the trail. The journey took 4 months and 1 week. It was the most fun I have ever had.

I've been meaning to post this for a while, I've just been really busy since I got home. I also wanna take time to answer all questions.

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: BaSSidio Head]
    #15306009 - 10/31/11 09:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

BaSSidio Head said:
Enjoy every step, man.  It is a beautiful stretch and an awesome experience.  I can't wait until I get a chance to do it thru.  Are you trying to finish by any deadline or just going at whatever pace you like?

I didn't have much of a deadline. I went into it with no idea of how long it would take. Toward the end, when I was familiar with my pace I had my eyes on October 13, which would have made a 4 month thru hike. However, I ended up meeting some people to hike with and we just took it easy and chilled for the final few hundred miles.

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: PDU]
    #15306060 - 10/31/11 09:38 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

supernovasky said:
You are doing great man. Is it everything you dreamed it would be?

Yes it was. All the freedom, solitude, beauty, satisfaction and comeraderie I had hoped for.

Quote:

PDU said:
Whats the most difficult part? Favorite part?

The most difficult part was also my favorite: Maine. My opinion on the difficulty is biased because it was the first terrain I faced, so I wasn't in good shape yet. But it was definitely intense hiking: lots of rocks, streams to ford, steep inclines, lots of bugs and few resupply points. Granted, Maine is a long section (281 miles) so there's bound to be a lot of variety. There were some easy portions but it was mostly difficult.

It was also my favorite section because of its ruggedness. The challenge was fun and I was rewarded with the greatest views on the trail. There were a lot of bald mountain peaks where you could look as far as you could in any direction without seeing a man made obstruction.

Invisiblebryguy27007
Cosmonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #15306087 - 10/31/11 09:42 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Congratulations! That's awesome man! I'd love to hear more about it. I don't know what questions to ask though, haha.

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Charm City
    #15310994 - 11/01/11 09:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

zappateer said:
Hey all. I finished my thru hike October 20 in the cold fog on Springer Mtn. It was the coldest afternoon on the trail. The journey took 4 months and 1 week. It was the most fun I have ever had.

I've been meaning to post this for a while, I've just been really busy since I got home. I also wanna take time to answer all questions.

:congrats:

Great Job dude!

What was your favorite section?

--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil

- Thomas Paine

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: PDU]
    #15314230 - 11/02/11 06:07 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PDU said:

OP - i would be interested to hear about your food set up and what your eating.

walkin, walkin, walkin..

I ate a wide variety of food on the trail. The most important quality of trail food is calorie to ounce ratio. Anything you carry should be at least 100 cals per ounce.

For the first 1700 miles I carried a stove. For the final 500 miles I ate only cold food. I prefer hiking w/o a stove because it saves the hassle of fuel resupply and it saves a lot of weight between stove, fuel and cooking pot.

The staples of my trail diet were: peanut butter, bagels, pepperoni/salami, cheese, trail mix, ramen, candy bars and power/energy bars.

Other foods I sometimes carried were nutella, instant mashed potatoes, tuna and Lipton pasta/rice sides.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds