Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sissy's Cooter, Alabama
Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: bootster]
    #14803926 - 07/21/11 03:41 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The thing I dont get is why they make it look soo easy in the video (PF tek video) But when you go to attempt it, and even follow the instructions to a tee (as much as you can from what they show you), you still get rampant contamination. IDK, I'm obviously not speaking from experience, since Im the 1st timer asking the thread question, but Iv'e read alot of "first grow" threads, and 90% of them ended up losing at least half of their jars, if not more...I am REALLY trying to avoid that and not be them!!! Thoughts,,,??

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegrainbrain
Tribalistic

Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: Mr.FunGuy]
    #14803935 - 07/21/11 03:43 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

If you follow the tek precisely, you will not end up with contamination - unless you had a bad syringe to begin with.

Most people fail in the BRF/Grain sterilization process, imho.

--------------------
Stop cold shocking your mycelium!
Hot Spawn - Get It On

InvisibleUnnamedGrower
The AMUiest
Male User Gallery

Loc: I'll be where I'm at
Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: grainbrain]
    #14803954 - 07/21/11 03:47 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

:shrug:
Follow the tek like it has been stated this isnt rocket science.  I didnt get a contam for the first 8 months that I grew.  Be careful, be sterile, use a glove box and a pressure cooker

Invisiblebootster
Male User Gallery
Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: Mr.FunGuy]
    #14824185 - 07/25/11 07:31 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I forgot about this one. This was my first time using a syringe and thought I had everything figured out.

I didn't have a stopper in my sink in the bathroom. I set a syringe plug on the side of it and went about my business. I ended up knocking the plug down the drain into the "P" trap. I never had searched about what to do with the syringe when I was done with it. I closed the glove box and went to the search engine.

I learned that if I left the needle on the syringe and put it back in the fridge,it could suck in contaminated air and I certainly didn't want that. I fished the plug out of the "P" trap,dropped it in a thimble of alcohol,and placed it on the end of the syringe. :thumbdown:

That was the end of that syringe,nothing but green ever came out of it again. I have learned a new respect for sterility and sanitary procedures.

OfflineOMGitsBigCheeze
Grandmaster cat petter
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: bootster]
    #14824318 - 07/25/11 07:53 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I got a electric all american autoclave, an alcohol lamp, some latex gloves, and a flowhood from fungi perfecti, that pretty much solved everything.

--------------------
"Fuck that Morpheus, I'm takin em both!"                                                     
                                -Cheeze

Offlinemnunes810
 User Gallery

Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: OMGitsBigCheeze]
    #14824589 - 07/25/11 08:50 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

anyone ever done it outside?

OfflineRush
Stranger
Male
Loc: Michigan Flag
Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: EvilMushroom666]
    #14825026 - 07/25/11 10:24 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

EvilMushroom666 said:
Biggest mistake made by first time growers:

Telling anyone what you plan to do, or what you are doing.

The first rule of mushroom club.....is do not talk about mushrooms

Unless of course you are growing edibles.

Haha, this, because when you fail due to rampant contamination no one will be disappointed that there will be no mushies :bigjoint:

OfflineHakim0777
aka RACKBONE!!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW Flag
Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: Rush]
    #14825286 - 07/25/11 11:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

opening up moldy jars and contaminating the shit out of your grow area. Introducing trich to your area is a BITCH to deal with.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck