Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisible5-HT2A
New York - Lawmakers Pass 911 Good Samaritan Bill
    #14646647 - 06/21/11 04:15 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/06/20/ny-lawmakers-pass-911-good-samaritan-bill/

New York State lawmakers have passed a bill designed to help prevent fatal drug overdoses by sparing witnesses who report them from being prosecuted for minor drug possession charges—a fear that has inhibited some substance abusers from calling for help, sometimes with deadly consequences.

Anti-drug advocates on Long Island lauded the unanimous state Senate passage of the 911 Good Samaritan Bill on Monday afternoon. The bill had previously passed the state Assembly and has been sent to Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who is expected to sign it into law. The bill would go into effect immediately after being signed.

“When it comes to getting help for someone suffering from a drug or alcohol overdose, we need fewer bystanders and more people willing to get help,” Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos (R-Rockville Centre) said.

The bill would not protect drug dealers caught with large quantities of narcotics. Its passage comes at a time when Long Island is in the throes of a heroin and prescription drug abuse epidemic that has been estimated to claim up to 300 people annually.

“We don’t want to condone drug use, but neither would we want to subject drug users to a death penalty,” lawmakers wrote in a memo justifying the legislation.

“This is a way to stem the tide of overdoses that are 100-percent preventable,” said Jeffrey Reynolds, executive director of the Long Island Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, a nonprofit group that has been lobbying for the law.

“Now our attention turns to ensuring that this new law is implemented quickly and effectively, as we work to let people know that calling for help is critical,” he added.

Teri Kroll, coordinator of People United to Stop Heroin on Long Island (PUSH-LI) who lost her son to drug abuse, also praised the bill’s passage.

“I’m thankful that lawmakers have realized the severity of the ongoing drug crisis on Long Island,” she said.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineIllyabo
Snow Angel

Loc: Outer Space
Re: New York - Lawmakers Pass 911 Good Samaritan Bill [Re: 5-HT2A]
    #14646725 - 06/21/11 04:53 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

now all those bodies will stop turning up at the beach.

--------------------
Education and Recovery Based Sentencing
http://www.petitiononline.com/LERA/petition.html
Patient Right
www.viennadeclaration.com
Penitentiary can be traded for wit and creativity.

Offlinedondoodle
Stranger
Re: New York - Lawmakers Pass 911 Good Samaritan Bill [Re: Illyabo]
    #14646826 - 06/21/11 06:25 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

If you read the bill you will see this is a weak bill and police may still charge people. Piss poor effort that will do little good.

--------------------
End American imperialism and colonization around the world and among the people conquered within the domestic empire.

OfflineIllyabo
Snow Angel

Re: New York - Lawmakers Pass 911 Good Samaritan Bill [Re: dondoodle]
    #14646865 - 06/21/11 06:53 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

well mabye you should have your homosexual erotic fantasy's elsewhere cause if anyone is goin to be goin through this STASH ITS GOIN TO BE ME!

--------------------
Patient Right

OfflineIllyabo
Snow Angel

Re: New York - Lawmakers Pass 911 Good Samaritan Bill [Re: Illyabo]
    #14646876 - 06/21/11 06:56 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

BUT NAH MY FIREND got put on probation cuz this guy he was with he took to the hospital OD'd (lol) and like it pretty much ruined his life he wasnt even doin drugs he had a bad temper to begin with but i dunno he's just weird now and his mom is all sensitive/psycho lol he's probably less worse then he was when he was in middle school even tho he's like on mood stabilizers and shit which i dont approve of

--------------------
Patient Right

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service