Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Article: SSRI antidepressants are about as active vs depression as unripe LOLWUT pears. * 3
    #14641557 - 06/20/11 06:58 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

:lolwut:

The article in a nutshell:

SSRI antidepressants (prozac, paxil, zoloft) have been objectively reviewed vs placebo. A placebo is a pill that essentially has no drug, so basically a LOLWUT pear.

It turned out that if of a population SSRI's cured 5 people, a lolwut pear would cure 4.
Just 25% more effective than placebo thats bad no?

It gets worse.

Someone smart thought the following: "an SSRI has side effects, a LOLWUT pear does not. Because of this, people will know whether they drew the drug or the pear and the trial is no longer double blind."

So this smart guy took a drug that had nothing to do with depression, but which did cause side effects, lets say an unripe LOLWUT pear as unripe pears give you tummyache, and used THAT as the placebo.

And to utter amazement, the unripe LOLWUT pear was JUST AS EFFECTIVE AGAINST DEPRESSION AS AN SSRI.

He tried atropine, stimulants,m depressants.. it mattered not. As long as the placebo gave side effects, it was equally effective against depression as prozac, paxil or zoloft.

To cut this short:

It appears that SSRI antidepressants only work through the power of suggestion, and not by specificv drug action. But! They do so with serious consequences for the brain.

If you didnt have a serotonin imbalance, after having been on SSRI's you WILL have one. The SSRI causes it. They cause physical dependence. They are associated with suicide risks at the onset of treatment. Weight gain, personality changes...
They cost a friggin fortune.

And all this for something that is no more effective than ANY placebo that gives side effects.

Wanna read the article?

Click the LOLWUT pear below, and remember theres 3 pages to the article!

:lolwut:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoraks
Re: Article: SSRI antidepressants are about as active vs depression as unripe LOLWUT pears. [Re: Asante]
    #14641573 - 06/20/11 07:07 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
SSRI antidepressants (prozac, paxil, zoloft) have been objectively reviewed vs placebo. A placebo is a pill that essentially has no drug, so basically a LOLWUT pear.

Then again, it was recently suggested that about 80% of the effectiveness of pharmaceutical drugs is attributable to placebo effect, so this finding does not mean that SSRI's don't work; they indeed work just as well as LOLWUT pears, which is still better than no treatment. Of course, one should be aware that when substituting SSRI's with unripe LOLWUT fruit, the brain zaps might be replaced by runny LOLshits.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Article: SSRI antidepressants are about as active vs depression as unripe LOLWUT pears. [Re: koraks]
    #14641578 - 06/20/11 07:11 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

it was recently suggested that about 80% of the effectiveness of pharmaceutical drugs is attributable to placebo effect

Isnt that scary if you think about it?

"Thats a badly stubbed toe Mr Koraks, here's a script."
"THATS PROZAC WTF?!"
"its just as effective as the anti-inflammatory I should presacribe you, but the risk of stroke is smaller."

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Article: SSRI antidepressants are about as active vs depression as unripe LOLWUT pears. [Re: Asante]
    #14641592 - 06/20/11 07:19 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
Quote:

it was recently suggested that about 80% of the effectiveness of pharmaceutical drugs is attributable to placebo effect

Isnt that scary if you think about it?

"Thats a badly stubbed toe Mr Koraks, here's a script."
"THATS PROZAC WTF?!"
"its just as effective as the anti-inflammatory I should presacribe you, but the risk of stroke is smaller."

Well, that's great, isn't it? It would mean that a doctor would actually be thoughtful of the risk of stroke, and he would prescribe me with something to make me last longer during sex at the same time :awesome: I mean, if I would step up to my doctor now, asking for SSRI's to help me postpone orgasm, I damn sure wouldn't get them. So perhaps this would actually improve matters overall.

PLUS, the upside is that you can go to the supermarket, get 20 paracetamols for € 0,80, and take one for any sort of ailment you're suffering from. Because it was demonstrated that even when people are aware that they're given a placebo, the effect is still there. And it gives instant support for all those alternative treatments that were not considered previously as evidence-based.

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery
Loc: Geospatial inversion.
Re: Article: SSRI antidepressants are about as active vs depression as unripe LOLWUT pears. [Re: koraks]
    #14641601 - 06/20/11 07:22 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

SSRI's are outdated anyway

All the reading i've done about ketamine and how it actually works is far more wonderful.

Mind over matter :awegroove:

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#14641607 - 06/20/11 07:23 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Because it was demonstrated that even when people are aware that they're given a placebo, the effect is still there.

*gets a lifetime supply of M&M's*

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Article: SSRI antidepressants are about as active vs depression as unripe LOLWUT pears. [Re: Beanhead]
    #14641612 - 06/20/11 07:26 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Anyone who says Ketamine is a placebo should get the experience I read in a Coaster thread, returning from the bathroom, a friend surprise-jabbing you with a K needle and dropping to the ground right where you stand :wink:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Invisiblekoraks
    #14641615 - 06/20/11 07:27 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
Quote:

Because it was demonstrated that even when people are aware that they're given a placebo, the effect is still there.

*gets a lifetime supply of M&M's*

Those 20mg vitamin C pills better fit your weight-loss plans.

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery
    #14641620 - 06/20/11 07:29 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

No I meant how i'm learning a lot about the enzyme mTOR and that it sounds more feasible then SSRI.

Ketamine placebo, that'd suck because I use it almost daily :kingtard: :lol:

Edited by Beanhead (06/20/11 07:29 AM)

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#14641621 - 06/20/11 07:29 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Are you kidding? Blue M&M's are known to cause radical appetite suppression causing people to lose between 2 and 4 kilos in two weeks, with daily use!

And red M&M's, if you wash em down with Sprite, affect your mood as acutely as 150mg MDMA :awesomenod:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#14641630 - 06/20/11 07:31 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Imasgine setting up a deliberately bogus pharmaceutical house that develops and markets solely placebos :yesnod:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Invisiblekoraks
    #14641631 - 06/20/11 07:32 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

So I'll still need to phone ahead to the hotel, asking the peepz there to pick the brown, green and yellow ones from the bowl on the bedstand?

OfflineDrMambo
hamburger time
 User Gallery

Loc: 53rd & 3rd
    #14641637 - 06/20/11 07:34 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
"Yeah, he's a professor...... OF BEING A DOG!"

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#14641639 - 06/20/11 07:35 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Those are the most medicinal ones.

Especially the yellow ones. Scientists have conclusively proven that if you get a script for 90 yellow M&Ms filled, you will have decidedly more money in your bank account than if you get a script for 90 Prozac filled.
I'll be rich!

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14641644 - 06/20/11 07:36 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Bupropion wasn't included in these conclusions from what I gather?

Curious.

At least SSRI are good at making sex last longer for some.:awedance:

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Article: SSRI antidepressants are about as active vs depression as unripe LOLWUT pears. [Re: the spiral]
    #14641651 - 06/20/11 07:39 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Bupropion isnt an SSRI.

Quote:

For others they make sex and rolling impossible and tripping futile.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineManicMongrel
Paragorn of pointless comments
Male

Loc: Across the Atlantic
    #14641660 - 06/20/11 07:41 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Here's an old epic read about depression:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/199903/depression-beyond-serotonin

It explains that depression can have much deeper causes than chemical imbalance. It does shed some light on why antidepressants doesn't have anti depressive effect on everyone, I have had the problem myself so I know.

The article is being updated every now and then, so its not outdated.

It does explain why I can take low doses of tricyclic antidepression for insomnia, it retards over active neural clusters. Its nice that it can work for both ADHD- and depression- based familial insomnia, in small doses no less so you dont get the side-effects.

--------------------
Rules and laws are guidelines, to follow them by definition is equivalent to ignoring responsibility

- Let me know if anything in my Trade List got your attention! New asian pan varieties up for trade [10.july.2013]

"Familiarity breeds contempt"

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14641691 - 06/20/11 07:56 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
Bupropion isnt an SSRI.

Quote:

For others they make sex and rolling impossible and tripping futile.

I'm aware its not a SSRI, which is why I asked.  I hear it equated incorrectly with SSRIS too often. From what I've seen , aside from the different mechanism of action (norepinephrine/ dopamine mostly) , the stuff also differs in that it seems to actually do some of what the drug companies claim.I'd be interested to know if this is indeed true.

Regarding my sarcastic comment about prolonged sex, I wish thick sarcasm was more easily communicated online!  Moving to Northern Cali soon so maybe I will get to unlearn my sarcastic ways.  I've seen those side effects you mentioned manifest in friends many times. :frown:  Friends whose depression did not improve included.

Edited by the spiral (06/20/11 08:02 AM)

Offlinenice1
Not the droid your looking for
 User Gallery

Loc: earth
    #14641701 - 06/20/11 08:00 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've been telling people this for years but they don't listen to me.

Its marketing of madness... convince people they have a "mental disorder" and "cure" it with an addictive placebo :smirk: Yet the "mental diseases" are something everyone has.  If you happy or sad your bi-polar.  If you have anxiety you have a disorder.  If you have a short attention span you have a disorder.  Yet everybody has these traits.  :lol:

Its basically the best scam business model I've ever seen in my life.

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery
Re: Article: SSRI antidepressants are about as active vs depression as unripe LOLWUT pears. [Re: nice1]
    #14641727 - 06/20/11 08:12 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nice1 said:
I've been telling people this for years but they don't listen to me.

Its marketing of madness... convince people they have a "mental disorder" and "cure" it with an addictive placebo :smirk: Yet the "mental diseases" are something everyone has.  If you happy or sad your bi-polar.  If you have anxiety you have a disorder.  If you have a short attention span you have a disorder.  Yet everybody has these traits.  :lol:

Its basically the best scam business model I've ever seen in my life.

Well a mental illness can range from mild to severe...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals