Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

Is it possible to make a little money growing/selling edibles?
    #14571926 - 06/06/11 10:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm growing psilocybe cubensis mushrooms right now and it's pretty fun. It's my first time.

Anyway, I was thinking, is it possible to cultivate and sell edible mushrooms from my house or something and sell them for way cheaper than the grocery stores do? (Of course I'd only do it after my cubensis are all gone!) I'm only 24, don't have any money except for what I'm going to spend on my car (cheap clunker of some sort) and I'm going to school.

I don't care to make a lot of money, any amount is fine, as long as it's worth it and pays for all the cost of materials.

Can you guys suggest some species that are good for a beginner? Preferably something that I can do with cakes, at least while I'm still new at this. I have all materials for cake growing using the PF Tek.

I was thinking of morels because they're hella (I haven't used that word for so long) popular. Are those easy to grow? What about portabellos or oyster?

Also, it might make my parents "proud" of me that I can cultivate and sell mushrooms and make cash on the side, though I really don't care about that aspect, lol.

Also, I live in texas. A lot of people here are really stupid and dirt poor and dirt cheap. They'll have no clue how I'm able to sell them so cheap and they'll love that they're so cheap. No offense to anyone living in tx, I'm only making a GENERALIZATION from my observations of people here. I'm originally from cali, but...I digress.

Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineurbanfarmer
l'estranger
Re: Is it possible to make a little money growing/selling edibles? [Re: occollegeboi]
    #14572225 - 06/06/11 11:25 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Where in Texas?

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

Re: Is it possible to make a little money growing/selling edibles? [Re: urbanfarmer]
    #14572429 - 06/07/11 12:26 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Arlington. My friend just told me about "farmer's market."

Could I grow edibles in my house?

Offlinecurry
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is it possible to make a little money growing/selling edibles? [Re: occollegeboi]
    #14572568 - 06/07/11 01:35 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm currently growing woodlovers (edibles) in my basement and it's a lot of fun.  Much better than cubes cause you don't have to worry about jail.  Oysters are easiest to grow (blue oyster or golden oyster recommended), king oysters are a little harder.  Shitake takes forever to grow, but is fun.  Then I would say black poplar, lions mane, and nameko are also good ones (I am currently growing all of those).  I gave a box of shitake to my buddy this afternoon and he was very grateful.  My family eats them everyday, so it's a great hobby for me.  But it takes up a lot of space in my basement, and it's work.  I'm almost ready to start selling to the public, but it takes building up quite a bit before you have enough to.  Figure on at least six months before that's even a possibility.  Find a source for wood shavings and wood chips and you'll be set.  Good luck.

Invisibleatricoz
O.o
 User Gallery

Loc: Italy Flag
    #14572583 - 06/07/11 01:41 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

To make money growing edibles, you'd need an appropriate equipment, like a big flowhood, a big sterilizer (like RR's one), a dedicated place where incubating big quantities of spawn and let mushrooms grow, big quantities of substrate (straw, sawdust, manure, depending the kind of mushroom you want to grow) to inoculate. PF-Cake is absolutely not suitable to professional cultivation, since it works well only for cubies. Moreover, you'd need also a lot of time to dedicate to this activity!
Morels are one of the hardest mushroom to grow, and a lot of them are mychorrizhal species.
If you think you can deal with all these expenses and have a lot of free time, then you can think of mushrooms grow professionally. Otherwise, do it as a hobby.
Me too would like to cultivate on a large scale, but I have neither the equipment nor the time to dedicate it :crazy:

--------------------

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

Re: Is it possible to make a little money growing/selling edibles? [Re: atricoz]
    #14572636 - 06/07/11 02:12 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Wow. I'm glad I asked before I got ahead of myself. I was on ralphstersspores looking at the woodlovers and edibles.

I think I will do it as hobby though because I've never eaten oyster mushrooms before. I'm also curious about growing morels, even if it is the only one that I grow. I've never eaten morels. I heard they taste bomb in french cuisine.

As hobby, can I do pf tek with any edibles?

Invisibleatricoz
O.o
 User Gallery

Loc: Italy Flag
    #14572662 - 06/07/11 02:29 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Sure you can; oysters and lion's mane will grow on pf-cakes (maybe you can add sawdust to the cakes to let them to be colonized better)although it's not economically viable. On RR's site you can find a grow of edibles on cakes

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/BRF-Pf-Tek

--------------------

Offlineurbanfarmer
l'estranger
Re: Is it possible to make a little money growing/selling edibles? [Re: atricoz]
    #14573430 - 06/07/11 09:22 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You can probably make a small bit of cash, but generally it's a bad sign when one starts a business with contempt for one's customers.  Long-term that tends to bite one in the ass.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Is it possible to make a little money growing/selling edibles? [Re: urbanfarmer]
    #14574474 - 06/07/11 01:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

generally it's a bad sign when one starts a business with contempt for one's customers.

True, but when you live in a place where trailer parks outnumber houses, it leaves one to wonder.  :lol:

Actually, I've spent quite a few years in TX and three of my four grown kids still call the metroplex home.

To the OP, don't start growing mushrooms to make money or you'll spend ten dollars for every dollar you make.  Grow them because you love them, get good at it, and then the money will come to you.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

Re: Is it possible to make a little money growing/selling edibles? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14581768 - 06/08/11 08:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

generally it's a bad sign when one starts a business with contempt for one's customers.

True, but when you live in a place where trailer parks outnumber houses, it leaves one to wonder.  :lol:

Actually, I've spent quite a few years in TX and three of my four grown kids still call the metroplex home.

To the OP, don't start growing mushrooms to make money or you'll spend ten dollars for every dollar you make.  Grow them because you love them, get good at it, and then the money will come to you.
RR

LOLOLOLOL!!! Yah, I was thinking the exact same thing (trailer park thing) when I posted that statement! Classic! That really is the reason I have contempt for these people. lol.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags