Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

They come at night and sit on your chest. You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises. They're Evil
    #14559057 - 06/04/11 07:11 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Familiar?

Congratulations, it's not just you, it's called Night Terrors and they happen to many people all over the world.

Are they real? Toughie. Theres something thats going to sit on your chest at night, suffocating you, thats presumably amorphous. You give it shape. It can be a dusty coal black creature, or an evil leathery leprechaun like witch, or a black cat. Or undifferentiated as an amorphous mass.  But it does hop on your chest, often throws you around like a ragdoll if you struggle, is quite evil and constricts your breath.

Heres a sighting dating several centuries back:

They come to you when you fall asleep or wake up in a state known as Sleep paralysis.

But this type of creature is described the world over:

Quote:

East Asia

In Chinese culture, sleep paralysis is widely known as "鬼壓身/鬼压身" (pinyin: guǐ yā shēn) or "鬼壓床/鬼压床" (pinyin: guǐ yā chuáng), which literally translate into "ghost pressing on body" or "ghost pressing on bed." A more modern term is "夢魘/梦魇" (pinyin: mèng yǎn).
    In Japanese culture, sleep paralysis is referred to as kanashibari (金縛り, literally "bound or fastened in metal," from "kane" (metal) and "shibaru" (to bind, to tie, to fasten). This term is occasionally used by English speaking authors to refer to the phenomenon both in academic papers and in pop psych literature.[28]
    In Korean culture, sleep paralysis is called gawee nulim (Hangul: 가위눌림), literally meaning "being pressed down by a scissor". It is often associated with a superstitious belief that a ghost or spirit is lying on top of or pressing down on the sufferer.
    In Mongolian culture, nightmares in general as well as sleep paralysis is referred to by the verb-phrase khar darakh (written kara darahu), meaning "to be pressed by the Black" or "when the Dark presses". "Kara" means black and may refer to the dark side personified. "Kharin buu" means shaman of the Black (shamans of the dark side only survive in far-northern Mongolia), while "tsaghaan zugiin buu" means shaman of the white direction (referring to shamans who only invoke the benevolent spirits). Compare 'karabasan' (the dark presser) in Turkish, which may date from pre-Islamic times when the Turks had the same religion and mythology as the Mongols. See Mythology of the Turkic and Mongolian peoples and Tengriism.

[edit] South-East Asia

In Cambodian, Laotian, and Thai culture, sleep paralysis is called phǐǐ am and khmout sukkhot. It is described as an event in which the person is sleeping and dreams that one or more ghostly figures are nearby or even holding him or her down. The sufferer usually thinks that he or she is awake but unable to move or make any noises. This is not to be confused with pee khao and khmout jool, ghost possession.
    In Hmong culture, sleep paralysis is understood to be caused by a nocturnal pressing spirit, "dab tsog." Dab tsog attacks "sleepers" by sitting on their chests, sometimes attempting to strangle them. Some believe that dab tsog is responsible for Sudden Unexpected Nocturnal Death Syndrome (SUNDS), which claimed the lives of over 100 Southeast Asian immigrants in the late 1970s and early 1980s. In Sleep Paralysis: Night-mares, Nocebos, and the Mind-Body Connection (Rutgers University Press, 2011), Shelley Adler, PhD, offers a biocultural perspective on sleep paralysis and the sudden deaths. She suggests that an interplay between the Brugada syndrome (a genetic cardiac disorder) and the traditional meaning of a dab tsog attack are at the heart of the sudden deaths.[29]
    In Vietnamese culture, sleep paralysis is referred to as "ma đè", meaning "held down by a ghost" or "bóng đè", meaning "held down by a shadow".
    In Philippine culture, "bangungut", or sudden unexplained death syndrome, has traditionally been attributed to nightmares.[30] People who have claimed to survive such nightmares have reported experiencing the symptoms of sleep paralysis.[citation needed]
    In New Guinea, people refer to this phenomenon as "Suk Ninmyo", believed to originate from sacred trees that use human essence to sustain its life. The trees are said to feed on human essence during night as to not disturb the human's daily life, but sometimes people wake unnaturally during the feeding, resulting in the paralysis.
    In Malay of Malay Peninsula, sleep paralysis is known as 'kena tindih' (or 'ketindihan' in Indonesia), which means "being pressed".[31] Incidents are commonly considered to be the work of a malign agency; occurring in what are explained as blind spots in the field of vision, they are reported as demonic figures.

[edit] South Asia

In Pakistan, sleep paralysis is considered to be an encounter with Shaitan (Urdu: شيطان ) (Satan), evil jinns or demons who have taken over one's body. Like Iran, this ghoul is known as 'bakhtak' (Urdu: بختک). It is also assumed that it is caused by the black magic performed by enemies and jealous persons. People, especially children and young girls, wear Ta'wiz (Urdu: تعویز) (Amulet) to ward of evil eye. Spells, incantations and curses could also result in ghouls haunting a person. Some homes and places are also haunted by evil ghosts, satanic or other supernatural beings and they could haunt people living there especially during the night. Muslim holy persons (Imams, Maulvis, Sufis, Mullahs, Faqirs) perform exorcism on individuals who are possessed. The homes, houses, buildings and grounds are blessed and consecrated by Mullahs or Imams by reciting Qur'an and Adhan (Urdu: أَذَان), the Islamic call to prayer, recited by the muezzin.
    In Tamil Nadu and Sri Lankan Tamil culture, this particular phenomenon is referred to as 'Amuku Be' or 'Amuku Pei' meaning "the ghost that forces one down".
    In Nepal, especially Newari culture it is also known as 'Khyaak' a ghost-like figure believed to reside in the darkness under the staircases of a house.

[edit] Middle-East, Western and Central Asia

In Arabic Culture, sleep paralysis is often referred to as 'Kaboos' (Arabic: كابوس‎), literally "presser" or 'Ja-thoom' (Arabic: جاثوم‎) literally "What sits heavily on something", though the term 'Kaboos' is also used to refer to any form of bad dreams. In folklore across Arab countries, the 'Kaboos' is believed to be a shayṭān or a ‘ifrīt which sits, heavily, on people's chests.
    In Turkish culture, sleep paralysis is often referred to as "karabasan" ("The dark presser/assailer"). It is believed to be a creature that attacks people in their sleep, pressing on their chest and stealing their breath. However, folk legends do not provide a reason why the devil or ifrit does that.
    In Persian culture it is known as 'bakhtak' (Persian: بختک), which is a ghost-like black creature that sits on the dreamer's chest, making breathing hard for him/her.

[edit] Africa

In African culture, isolated sleep paralysis is commonly referred to as "the witch riding your back".[24][25]
    Several studies have shown that African-Americans may be predisposed to isolated sleep paralysis also known as "the witch is riding you" or "the haint is riding you".[26] In addition, other studies have shown that African-Americans who have frequent episodes of isolated sleep paralysis, i.e., reporting having one or more sleep paralysis episodes per month coined as "sleep paralysis disorder," were predisposed to having panic attacks.[32] This finding has been replicated by other independent researchers.[33][34]
    Ogun Oru is a traditional explanation for nocturnal disturbances among the Yoruba of Southwest Nigeria; ogun oru (nocturnal warfare) involves an acute night-time disturbance that is culturally attributed to demonic infiltration of the body and psyche during dreaming. Ogun oru is characterized by its occurrence, a female preponderance, the perception of an underlying feud between the sufferer's earthly spouse and a 'spiritual' spouse, and the event of bewitchment through eating while dreaming. The condition is believed to be treatable through Christian prayers or elaborate traditional rituals designed to exorcise the imbibed demonic elements.[35]
    In Zimbabwean Shona culture the word Madzikirira is used to refer something really pressing one down. This mostly refers to the spiritual world in which some spirit—especially an evil one—tries to use its victim for some evil purpose. The people believe that witches can only be people of close relations to be effective, and hence a witches often try to use one's spirit to bewitch one's relatives.
    In Ethiopian culture the word 'dukak' is used, which is believed to be an evil spirit that possesses people during their sleep. Some people believe this experience is linked to use of Khat ('Chat'). Khat users experience sleep paralysis when suddenly quitting chewing Khat after use for a long time.
    In Swahili speaking East Africa, it is known as 'jinamizi', which refers to a creature sitting on one's chest making it difficult for him/her to breathe. It is attributed to result from a person sleeping on his back. Most people also recall being strangled by this 'creature'. People generally survive these 'attacks'

[edit] Europe

In Hungarian folk culture sleep paralysis is called "lidércnyomás" ("lidérc pressing") and can be attributed to a number of supernatural entities like "lidérc" (wraith), "boszorkány" (witch), "tündér" (fairy) or "ördögszerető" (demon lover).[36] The word "boszorkány" itself stems from the Turkish root "bas-", meaning "to press".[37]
    In Iceland folk culture sleep paralysis is generally called having a "Mara". A goblin or a succubus (since it is generally female) believed to cause nightmares (the origin of the word 'Nightmare' itself is derived from her name). Other European cultures share variants of the same folklore, calling her under different names; Proto-Germanic: marōn; Old English: mære; German: Mahr; Dutch: nachtmerrie; Icelandic, Old Norse, Faroese, and Swedish: mara; Danish: mare; Norwegian: mare; Old Irish: morrigain; Croatian, Serbian, Slovene: môra; Bulgarian, Polish: mara; French: cauchemar; Romanian: moroi; Czech: můra. The origin of the belief itself is much older and goes back to the reconstructed Proto Indo-European root mora-, an incubus, from the root mer- "to rub away" or "to harm".
    In Malta, folk culture attributes a sleep paralysis incident to an attack by the "Haddiela" who is the wife of the "Hares", an entity in Maltese folk culture that haunts the individual in ways similar to a poltergeist. As believed in folk culture, to rid oneself of the Haddiela, one must place a piece of silverware or a knife under the pillow prior to sleep.
    In Greece and Cyprus, it is believed that sleep paralysis occurs when a ghost-like creature or Demon named Mora, Vrachnas or Varypnas (Greek: Μόρα, Βραχνάς, Βαρυπνάς) tries to steal the victim's speech or sits on the victim's chest causing asphyxiation.

[edit] Americas

During the Salem witch trials several people reported nighttime attacks by various alleged witches including Bridget Bishop that may have been the result of sleep paralysis.[38]
    In Mexico, it is believed that this is caused by the spirit of a dead person. This ghost lies down upon the body of the sleeper, rendering him unable to move. People refer to this as "Subirse el Muerto" (Dead Person on you).[citation needed]
    In many parts of the Southern United States, the phenomenon is known as a "hag", and the event is said to often be a sign of an approaching tragedy or accident.
    In Newfoundland and Labrador, it is known as the 'Old Hag'.[39] In island folklore, the Hag can be summoned to attack a third party, like a curse. In his 1982 book, The Terror that Comes in the Night, David J. Hufford writes that in local culture the way to call the Hag is to recite the Lord's Prayer backwards. It is also common for believers to claim that those who are not wakened from this paralysis will die.
    In contemporary western culture it is believed that the phenomenon of reported Alien abduction is caused by sleep paralysis where the hallucination of aliens has been generated by 20th and 21st century science fiction.[40]

A hot night, a heavy meal, stimulant and MDMA analog abuse all are conductive to ending up in the realm of sleep paralysis and possibly meeting this "entity".

What I generally do is when I notice i'm in that state I try as hard as I can to violently shake my limbs. That wakes you up. As episodes often recur the moment you fall back to sleep at this point I tend to reach for the equivalent of 20mg valium, sit behind the computer till it kicks in, then lay down again, which usually bypasses the Sleep Paralysis stage by rapidly falling asleep.

I only had it in my adult life because of abuse of MDMA or close analogs like 6-ABP and Methylone, and this a few nights after the abuse took place.

It can be so unbelievably upsetting that if I abuse an MDMA analog I will take the equivalent of 20mg Valium each night for a week to beat it, and taper to zero in the week thereafter, just to avoid the experience.

Bad trips asre nothing in comparison to the level of terror such an encounter can produce. I generally need nitro immediately after the occurrence vs chest pain, its that bad. As you saw in the quote, it can be an actual attack on your health.

Another creature you can encounter, depending on your sexual affiliation is the Incubus, the Succubus (yes they make same sex house calls if you're gay, I find them very pleasurable) and more forcefully so, the Popobawa.

Key features as opposed to lets say Alien Abduction is that it comes to you in your bedroom, it lies on top of you and does something, be it take your breath, rides you like a horse or sex you up with or without your consent.

Does anyone else have experiences with this phenomenon?

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: They come at night and sit on your chest. You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises. They're Evil [Re: Asante]
    #14559071 - 06/04/11 07:26 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yes.  it sucks.  and its the most terrifying experience one can imagine.  terrible, terrible ,terrible.

OfflineMoronicus
smokehousebacon.
Male

Re: They come at night and sit on your chest. You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises. They're Evil [Re: memes]
    #14559079 - 06/04/11 07:32 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Fuck those things. They used to haunt me when I was a child and upwards until my teen years.

I used to always jump out of my bed as a child and hide, trembling with fear, never to sleep until sunrise.

--------------------

BACON RANCH, FUCK YEAH

A post about m00nshine

Anonymous #6 said:
Yes, it is. The shine stands for his job title, which is Shoe Shiner, the moon stands for the time he comes out to be a nigger, which is best suited for the negroid camouflage.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: They come at night and sit on your chest. You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises. They're Evil [Re: Asante]
    #14559083 - 06/04/11 07:35 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Interesting.  I guess I always sort of assumed night terrors were just a sever nightmare.

Its also curious that the DSM-IV clinical criteria usually describe amnesia.  It seems though that you guys clearly remember yours...

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Invisiblegzuf
٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: They come at night and sit on your chest. You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises. They're Evil [Re: badchad] * 1
    #14559098 - 06/04/11 07:39 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Can't say that has ever happened to me but it sounds pretty terrible. I have a hard time remembering my dreams despite my efforts I think it might have to due with regular marijuana usage. Sometimes when I'm drifting off I'll "hear" a loud noise or something shocks me out of sleep really fast but that's it.

--------------------
+1 Post ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: They come at night and sit on your chest. You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises. They're Evil [Re: badchad]
    #14559103 - 06/04/11 07:42 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Some people who die in their sleep don't die peacefully but are literally scared to death, the facial expression, a mask of terror, is telltale. Those of us who had em have a pretty good idea what they encountered.

Take the most scared you ever been while sober and mentally healthy and multiply by oh say, five?

Its extremely upsetting, often traumatically so.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineMoronicus
smokehousebacon.
Male

Re: They come at night and sit on your chest. You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises. They're Evil [Re: gzuf] * 1
    #14559109 - 06/04/11 07:44 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

gzuf said:
Can't say that has ever happened to me but it sounds pretty terrible. I have a hard time remembering my dreams despite my efforts I think it might have to due with regular marijuana usage. Sometimes when I'm drifting off I'll "hear" a loud noise or something shocks me out of sleep really fast but that's it.

The worst nightmares are the ones where you are incapacitated by an invisible force, while the assailant taunts/advances towards you slowly. I wake up screaming to those, because I feel so helpless AND I can't wake up

--------------------

BACON RANCH, FUCK YEAH

A post about m00nshine

Anonymous #6 said:
Yes, it is. The shine stands for his job title, which is Shoe Shiner, the moon stands for the time he comes out to be a nigger, which is best suited for the negroid camouflage.

Offlinepouihi
Mary Jane Doe
 User Gallery

Re: They come at night and sit on your chest. You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises. They're Evil [Re: Moronicus]
    #14559113 - 06/04/11 07:48 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

a few years ago I used to have a lot of these night terrors. Lately I've had more nightmares but the really fucked up, anxiety generating ones, every night. I'd go to bed at 2am and wake up extremely nervous and in panic at 7am, wouldn't be able to fall asleep again. Started taking valerian root, although it doesn't make the nightmares go away it does make me feel more relaxed about them. Today I had this delicious dream about a menage a trois w/my bf and another girl.

--------------------

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Offlinealtershroom
Earth Cohabitant
Male

Loc: under a lake in the north...
Re: They come at night and sit on your chest. You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises. They're Evil [Re: pouihi]
    #14559123 - 06/04/11 07:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've encountered it a few times. It is totally like the write up. I have also had what seem to be classic alien abduction scenarios a few times when I was about 9. All in all I sleep pretty well nowadays unless I am detoxing on something or another.

--------------------

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: They come at night and sit on your chest. You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises. They're Evil [Re: altershroom]
    #14559133 - 06/04/11 08:00 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Oh this one is nice:

They are usually between the size of a cat or a large dog though.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineTritium
 User Gallery

#14559135 - 06/04/11 08:02 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've had sleep paralysis a couple times, often accompanied with auditory hallucinations. Never with anything on my chest though. And although while theyre happening its the most terrifying feeling I've ever experienced once I wake up I find them strangely exhilarating.

I enjoy nightmares to the point where I try to induce them occasionally, but I'm rarely successful

Offlinex Ju x
Aubergine Of The Sun
Male

Loc: Shpongleland, Canada Flag
Re: They come at night and sit on your chest.You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises.They're Evil [Re: altershroom]
    #14559139 - 06/04/11 08:03 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've never had sleep paralysis, so I can't imagine exactly how scary and upsetting it can be.

I've know a few people who have had it happen to the a few times, and they all say it was horrible. If it's like the descriptions above, it must be terrifying.

--------------------

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: They come at night and sit on your chest. You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises. They're Evil [Re: Tritium]
    #14559145 - 06/04/11 08:07 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I've had sleep paralysis a couple times, often accompanied with auditory hallucinations. Never with anything on my chest though. And although while theyre happening its the most terrifying feeling I've ever experienced once I wake up I find them strangely exhilarating.

Wait how exhilarated you're going to be if some asphyxiating creature decides to take advantage of the situation, a good sized one that presses the air from you, does not leave when you feel you wake up, and when you finally do actually RL wake up, sends a shriek after you, a cold malicious laugh or a vow to be back when you close your eyes again. A vow, typically kept.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlinepouihi
Mary Jane Doe
 User Gallery

#14559149 - 06/04/11 08:09 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

on the latest most fucked up, my bf had to wake me up. According to him I was grinding/beating my teeth/jaws so hard he says he doesn't even know how I didn't break a tooth.

--------------------

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Offlinewocka
Lurker

Re: They come at night and sit on your chest.You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises.They're Evil [Re: x Ju x]
    #14559150 - 06/04/11 08:09 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

ive had that once and when i woke in the sleep paralysis in the corner of my room i couldnt move my body or face to look at it but i could still see this black cloud hovering in the right corner of my room. like the size of a exhale of smoke but if it were black. i thought it was creating the paralysis when i looked at it cuz thats when it was happening.. a second or two later i was able to move

and lastnight and the night before ive had shitty dreams. 2 nights ago i feel the presence of a dead ghost cat in my room. i have no other way to explain it. but i feel its body or some shit jump up on my bed. i think im dreaming..

and lastnight i felt it on my bed again, it woke me up

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: They come at night and sit on your chest.You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises.They're Evil [Re: wocka]
    #14559201 - 06/04/11 08:41 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

My latest encounter with one of those was a brownish female hag about the size and stoutness of a robust baby.

I saw something moving in the darkness. Me, Mr Genius goes: "come, don't be afraid". It walked around my bed to the foot end, I could feel it brush past the sole of my foot as it climbed on, then took position on my chest then materialized as an old midgety leprecaun sort of hag, female, foot and a half long, weighing approx 15lbs, wearing a hooded brown leather outfit (really a lot like in the vid I posted but a lot more humanoid-faced, clearly human and supernatural-powered, a witch/hag type) I go "GO AWAY!!!" she just slams me in my matress, sitting on my chest growling evilly anmd highly aggressively: "WELL THAT ISNT VERY NICE!" and starts a ferociously angry rant that I lost to amnesia but I know it was very psychologiocally hurtful and I got slammed into the matress several times until I remembered "shaking myself awake" and woke up.

At the end of that sequence that lasted several nights I was visited by an Incubus type spirit of neither gender who slipped into my bed, upon questioning it it told me it was there to offer me sexual pleasure. It was invisible, yet very arousing. I proceeded fucking it until the fucking got so rough it woke me up :facepalm:
That was highly erotic but very scary in a way as it felt really there, I couldnt see it but it was tangible, not at all human and not even gendered. It was completely invisible but you could hold onto it like there was an actual (unhuman) body there. It was humansized but unhuman and felt entirely made of solid flesh, no hairlike or fatty textures. No body temperature either, neither warm or cold. It played my mind like a fiddle and did seduce me to intercourse with something inhuman though so it was one of the Incubus/Succubus type.
I was really pissed off I woke up from that one. I felt no evil of any kind, more a kind of spirit that draws some kind of nourishment from getting a human all excited, in a benign way.
I hope it'll be back, I have some more questions to ask it and I want to see what happens after a full sequence. Also, I'd like to see it, even if thats a major turnoff.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: They come at night and sit on your chest.You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises.They're Evil [Re: Asante]
    #14559244 - 06/04/11 08:56 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

great thread. very interesting :awehigh:

Never experienced this phenomenon myself, but I've heard stories from friends.

:Awesketch:

--------------------

OfflineFlusH
Random person on Internet

Loc: Bizzaro World
Re: They come at night and sit on your chest.You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises.They're Evil [Re: Asante] * 1
    #14559277 - 06/04/11 09:10 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

My daughter had bad constant reoccuring night terrors between the ages of 2 and 4.  She has not had them for the last couple years.

She would start screaming, and either violently trash around, or start sleep walking in a weird mental state.

We googled it, asked a few of our psychiatrist friends for recommendations, but never have we heard of those mythical creatures that sit on your chest or ghosts' that take your breath away.  Personally I feel there is a logical reason for sleep paralysis, more so than ghosts and whatnot. 

With our daughter, we found that what she eat's a couple hours before bed is what determined if she would have a night terror or not.  So heavy meats ( red meat like cow, deer, moose ) we stopped feeding her in the evenings, stuck to fish, soy, beans and that kinda stuff for protein and that made the difference.

I have no medical training, or any logical explanation other than a hunch, but I feel a strong imagination combined with your body working either on digesting, or some other energy consuming process is what will cause a night terror. 

I have had them too, I understand what the terror is all about, but its something that happens:shrug:  nothing to really worry about imo

--------------------

OfflineBrugman
antisobrietarian
Male

Loc: the land up over Flag
Re: They come at night and sit on your chest.You cannot move or breathe. Strange noises.They're Evil [Re: Asante]
    #14559291 - 06/04/11 09:16 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've discussed this with a doctor at my work (I work in a sleep clinic), because I've had it happen a few times. Apparently it only happens to like 5% of people. Craziness...

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
Re: [Re: badchad]
    #14559315 - 06/04/11 09:23 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Interesting.  I guess I always sort of assumed night terrors were just a sever nightmare.

Its also curious that the DSM-IV clinical criteria usually describe amnesia.  It seems though that you guys clearly remember yours...

yeah, and night terrors usually involve you thrashing about and screaming.

sounds more like he is talking about sleep paralysis (parasomnia NOS) with hypnagogic hallucinations.

i had some sleep paralysis like that a few days ago actually. i was dreaming but completely aware of my room around me and then started to have this feeling like something really bad was going to happen. all of a sudden, i felt this thing reach over me and pin me down. i repeatedly looked up and saw its outline but i couldn't move. after a minute or so i "woke up," but not like normal waking up. i just kinda realized that i had my eyes open and i could suddenly move again.

***re-read the other posts. wiccan did mention sleep paralysis. what i was trying to say is that in psych, sleep paralysis is different to night terrors. both are scary though

Edited by JT (06/04/11 09:27 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate