Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

lol- talking over a religous person showing there is no proof of god
    #14505488 - 05/24/11 04:58 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

someone i know from my area who's deeply religious buys me food sometimes so i was talking to him earlier and he wanted to know statistics of scientists that believe in god so i sent him some, such as  in a survey of 1,646 scientists 9% believed god exists and 31% deisbelieve.  and in national science academy 96% don't believe in god.

than he replies back-

"Wow! so many crazy people out there who want to believe so that they could do whatever they want! thanks"

:rofl::rofl:  The ignorance is staggering.  I feel like religious people are just screwed from not doing their own research in their earlier days and now most of them are just attached to their beliefs.    He couldn't come up with one logical reason god exists except that 'he has to exist'.    :eyeball:  well long as he brings it up ill continue to dismantle his beliefs :shrug:  ill prob stop meeting with him tho religion talk is annoying :suicide:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepropensity
۞̷ ̶۞̷ ̶
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Bedrock America
Re: lol- talking over a religous person showing there is no proof of god [Re: skatealex2]
    #14505510 - 05/24/11 05:01 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yes. Religion talk is annoying.

So you make a thread about religion talk.

--------------------

۞̷̛̗̗͉͇̰̅͒ͯͩ̆ͯ̑͘ ̶̖̭ͧ͛ͬ͑ͣͦ̍ͧ͐͟͢ www.cactophage.com ۞̷̛̗̗͉͇̰̅͒ͯͩ̆ͯ̑͘ ̶̖̭ͧ͛ͬ͑ͣͦ̍ͧ͐͟͢
̸ۨ͜۞̷̛̗̗͉͇̰̅͒ͯͩ̆ͯ̑͘ ̶̖̭ͧ͛ͬ͑ͣͦ̍ͧ͐͟Dolphins of Dank۞̷̛̗̗͉͇̰̅͒ͯͩ̆

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Re: lol- talking over a religous person showing there is no proof of god [Re: propensity]
    #14505513 - 05/24/11 05:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

<----- :facepalm:

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Re: lol- talking over a religous person showing there is no proof of god [Re: skatealex2]
    #14505518 - 05/24/11 05:03 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i hearby denounce talking about religion    :pimp2:

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
    #14505542 - 05/24/11 05:07 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

skatealex2 said:
i hearby denounce talking about religion    :pimp2:

Care to elaborate?
:maximumtrolling:

--------------------

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

#14505548 - 05/24/11 05:08 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

How do you and those scientists define god?

What if you define god as "the all" or the "source of the all?"

Don't you and scientists acknowledge the existence of existence itself?  or is there not enough "proof?" it's hard to deny God in that context.

One funny thing about science is that it is all based off of completely fallible human senses and perceptions.

I always laugh at people who think they can find absolution in science. 

Science is a tool for best proving truths, it is not the truth itself - that would be god.

--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Re: lol- talking over a religous person showing there is no proof of god [Re: Shins]
    #14505574 - 05/24/11 05:13 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Shins said:
How do you and those scientists define god?

What if you define god as "the all" or the "source of the all?"

Don't you and scientists acknowledge the existence of existence itself?  or is there not enough "proof?" it's hard to deny God in that context.

One funny thing about science is that it is all based off of completely fallible human senses and perceptions.

I always laugh at people who think they can find absolution in science. 

Science is a tool for best proving truths, it is not the truth itself - that would be god.

I get what you are saying but my main point in arguing is that I want nothing to do with a religious god that doesn't show himself and that there is no proof he has anything to do with anything.

Science doesn't prove how are existence came to be but neither does religion.  So why should anyone praise god?    If god is real I may be greatful for my existence but I'd also feel as if he left everyone sort of hanging.  What do 100,000 year old scriptures have anything to do with anything?

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Re: lol- talking over a religous person showing there is no proof of god [Re: Shins]
    #14505575 - 05/24/11 05:14 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

:horly:

how does god prove truths?

And I'm sure most of those scientists define god as do a majority of other human beings, an omniscient, omnipotent creator of everything.

--------------------

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
Re: lol- talking over a religous person showing there is no proof of god [Re: Shins] * 1
    #14505599 - 05/24/11 05:17 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

the worst part about science/scientists is that so many of them think as if humanity already knows everything there is to know about a lot of things.. and when a new idea/discovery/theory comes up they respond to it like its complete nonsensical lunacy at first.  eventually the community comes around when that controversial or revolutionary idea is proven to be correct.

but its such bullshit because science is intended to discover new information about the universe.. but when new information comes up, a lot of scientists scoff at it.  how can someone who dedicates their life to discovering new things be so closed off to new things?

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Re: lol- talking over a religous person showing there is no proof of god [Re: BoneMan]
    #14505629 - 05/24/11 05:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

BoneMan said:
the worst part about science/scientists is that so many of them think as if humanity already knows everything there is to know about a lot of things.. and when a new idea/discovery/theory comes up they respond to it like its complete nonsensical lunacy at first.  eventually the community comes around when that controversial or revolutionary idea is proven to be correct.

but its such bullshit because science is intended to discover new information about the universe.. but when new information comes up, a lot of scientists scoff at it.  how can someone who dedicates their life to discovering new things be so closed off to new things?

Normalcy bias.

I'm sure if some earth-shattering discovery came to light with indisputable evidence, however, any logical person would accpet it as truth. Most new "discoveries" like the Higgs boson for example, are still in the theory stage.

--------------------

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: lol- talking over a religous person showing there is no proof of god [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #14505668 - 05/24/11 05:26 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You guys are missing the point.  God does reveal himself but you are blind to see.  God is Everywhere, everything, and reveals himself in everything everywhere. 

God is not said to be an omnipotent man in the clouds by any Abrahamic religion, that's a misconception.

The reason god is said to be an all seeing and all knowing creator is because god IS "The All" and the source of it all. 

Acknowledging God is basically acknowledging that there is a huge universe out there beyond your little ego.

--------------------

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

Loc: Glenn Gould's Fuck Windmill Flag
Re: lol- talking over a religous person showing there is no proof of god [Re: Shins] * 2
    #14505676 - 05/24/11 05:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Why do you call it a he?

Anyway. You don't even need to call the entirety 'god', its an unnecessary extra step. Plus the word is far too stigmatized and far too misleading. Universe suffices to express itself.

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: lol- talking over a religous person showing there is no proof of god [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #14505686 - 05/24/11 05:29 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
Quote:

BoneMan said:

Normalcy bias.

I'm sure if some earth-shattering discovery came to light with indisputable evidence, however, any logical person would accpet it as truth. Most new "discoveries" like the Higgs boson for example, are still in the theory stage.

Good point, It's also interesting to point out that people like newton and Einstein could not have formulated their Theories of gravity without religious/occult inspiration.

--------------------

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

#14505690 - 05/24/11 05:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yes? Why not?

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#14505698 - 05/24/11 05:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

god =/= existence.

Your definition of god differs from 99.9% of humans.

Do I think the universe is all connected?  in a sense, yes.  That doesn't mean it's god though, it's just existence.  Matter.  Time and space.

--------------------

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

#14505704 - 05/24/11 05:32 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Shins said:
You guys are missing the point.  God does reveal himself but you are blind to see.  God is Everywhere, everything, and reveals himself in everything everywhere. 

God is not said to be an omnipotent man in the clouds by any Abrahamic religion, that's a misconception.

The reason god is said to be an all seeing and all knowing creator is because god IS "The All" and the source of it all. 

Acknowledging God is basically acknowledging that there is a huge universe out there beyond your little ego.

I acknowledge there is something way beyond me.............. were less than ants compared to the size of the universe haha,  but i can't claim to know if god is 'god' or just some force of nature or something. i dont know whats really going on in the big picture if im to look at the entirety of the world  :shrug:

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: lol- talking over a religous person showing there is no proof of god [Re: twighead]
    #14505710 - 05/24/11 05:32 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

twighead said:
Why do you call it a he?

Anyway. You don't even need to call the entirety 'god', its an unnecessary extra step. Plus the word is far too stigmatized and far too misleading. Universe suffices to express itself.

"The entirety" has been called god a lot longer than "man in the clouds" have been falsely called that.

"Universe" does not suggest creation or a creative "spirit" but more just the current state of what is.

--------------------

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

Re: lol- talking over a religous person showing there is no proof of god [Re: Shins] * 1
    #14505726 - 05/24/11 05:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Universe suggests whatever you want it to suggest - to me it is everything there has been and will be.

Anyway. Useless semantic argument.

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

#14505729 - 05/24/11 05:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
god =/= existence.

Your definition of god differs from 99.9% of humans.

Do I think the universe is all connected?  in a sense, yes.  That doesn't mean it's god though, it's just existence.  Matter.  Time and space.

Again, This has been the definition of the top god since ancient times.  I highly question you 99.9% number as BS.

--------------------

Invisibleblazenn
rawdog the whale.
Male

Loc: Flag
    #14505730 - 05/24/11 05:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

yea, shins, i see what you're saying, but you're not blowing all our minds with some new idea of what god is. you're just using a totally different definition than what OP means by god. and yes there are many christians who think god is a man in the clouds waiting to smite them or accept them upon death.

this is really a bizaare conversation because to discuss what 'god' is we'd have to come to an agreement on what we define 'god' to be.

in essence i see god (though i NEVER refer to anything as god and never use the term) as nature. nature truly is infinite, as far as we know this universe and all of existence is going to continue expanding and evolving....forever.

nature is the force which creates. nature is the big bang. nature is the apocalypse. nature is what breeds all life.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order