Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

[IL] Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker in Teen's Death
    #14479736 - 05/19/11 05:03 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker in Teen's Death
May 19, 2011 - centredaily.com

CHICAGO -- Calling attention to the dangers of a beverage that packs a whopping 12 percent alcohol and is aimed at young people, the family of a teen who died after drinking Phusion Projects' Four Loko is suing the company and urging authorities to pull the product from store shelves.

This is the first lawsuit filed in Cook County Circuit Court that is aimed at the Chicago-based company that heavily markets the beverage to young people. The family of 15-year-old Bo Rupp, who died after ingesting two cans of the beverage, wants to raise awareness of the product as the prom and graduation party season kicks in. They warn parents that this type of beverage — which has earned the nickname "blackout in a can" — was not part of the landscape a generation ago.

Rupp's parents, John and Karla, charge in the suit that Phusion Projects "was careless and negligent in formulating a caffeinated, alcoholic beverage that desensitizes users to the symptoms of intoxication, and increases the potential for alcohol-related harm."

In addition, it notes that Four Loko is a dangerous concoction that serves up the buzz of nearly a six-pack of beer, which could make a 225-pound man too drunk to drive legally. It comes in a variety of fruit flavors that appeal to young people and is packed in single-serve, non-resealable 23-ounce cans.

Rupp, of suburban Washington, D.C., drank two cans of Four Loko, lost touch with reality and then lost his life after he headed onto a roadway near his home last fall, according to the lawsuit.

At a news conference today, Karla Rupp, Bo's distraught mother, recalled the events of Sept. 25, 2010. She had driven her son and some friends to a concert about an hour before showtime, "He and several classmates had wanted to 'tailgate' for about three hours before the concert, but I insisted that he cut that back to one hour," she said. "I figured, 'What could happen in an hour?'

"Well, it turns out a lot can happen in an hour," she said. During that time, her son drank the contents of two Four Lokos. When the concert staff noticed Bo's behavior and that he appeared extremely intoxicated, they called his mother to retrieve him.

The drive home was stressful for Bo and his mother as she had never seen him so paranoid and disoriented. When they arrived in their suburban neighborhood, Bo took off on foot. Although both of his parents urged him to come home via text messages, Bo's responses were confusing. "Eventually we lost all contact. Bo made his way on foot onto a busy road, and then he was hit by a car.

"We could hear the ambulance sirens from our home," Mrs. Rupp said. "My husband and I just knew the sirens were for Bo. It was a parent's worst nightmare come true.''

Karla Rupp explained that she is speaking out to help prevent other teen and young adult deaths. "I hope other parents will talk to their children about this drink,'' she said. "We don't want any other family to go through the sheer terror of losing a child.''

"This was a boy who was raised by concerned parents, who had a stable home life and lots of friends," said Jeffrey Simon of Simon, Eddins & Greenstone, LLP of Dallas, which is serving as co-counsel in the lawsuit. "What killed him was not the type of alcohol that adults might serve at a party. Four Loko is so deliberately different — it's sweet and fruity and marketed directly at the underage crowd – that it is far more dangerous than other drinks. And the founders of Four Loko knew that from the beginning."

Simon pointed out that if Rupp had overindulged on most any other alcoholic beverage that night, he probably would have vomited or passed out. But the stimulants in the drink are known to mask the effects of being drunk, and so even more experienced drinkers don't realize they're intoxicated.

Chicago-based Cooney & Conway is serving as co-counsel.

Four Loko is sold in brightly colored cans that closely resemble prepackaged iced teas and energy drinks, and the marketing is directly aimed at inexperienced drinkers. It's a whole new category of alcoholic beverages.

The beverage, also known as "liquid cocaine" has been wildly popular on college campuses. It's been linked in lawsuits to date rape cases and auto accidents, Simon said. By pricing the drink around $3 and distributing it through convenience stores and gas station quick marts, it's available where young people shop.

In addition to the creators of Four Loko, the suit also names as defendants the convenience store franchise in Manassas, Va., where the product was purchased as well as companies that assisted in the manufacture, distribution and packaging of Four Loko.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
Re: [IL] Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker in Teen's Death [Re: veggie]
    #14479859 - 05/19/11 05:26 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

So they're suing four loko's because some 15 year old kid drank an alcoholic beverage and ran out in front of traffic like a moron.  I was 15 at one time, i would get really drunk.  Never did i blindly run out into traffic.  Ignore the fact that the kid was underage, don't go after the individual who bought or sold him the alcoholic beverage.  Focus on the dangerous dangerous caffeine and b vitamin additives, the oh so pretty kiddie enticing can, and the fact the can is not resealable.  GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK!

Offlineeqt146
Stranger

Re: [IL] Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker in Teen's Death [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #14479913 - 05/19/11 05:36 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Really? "Simon pointed out that if Rupp had overindulged on most any other alcoholic beverage that night, he probably would have vomited or passed out. But the stimulants in the drink are known to mask the effects of being drunk, and so even more experienced drinkers don't realize they're intoxicated".

There you go. This company is deliberately marketing a toxic and dangerous chemical (ethanol), with other additives that make it even more dangerous, TO UNDERAGE MINORS WHO ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DRINK IT. This company is most definitely at fault. Do you seriously think it is justified to market highly-concentrated ethanol and caffeine to underage kids using appealing flavors, colors, etc?

Offline12468
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: [IL] Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker in Teen's Death [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #14479915 - 05/19/11 05:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Who the fuck calls Four Loko "liquid cocaine"?? Am I missing something here? That sounds like some eighth-grade bullshit

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
Re: [IL] Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker in Teen's Death [Re: eqt146] * 1
    #14479920 - 05/19/11 05:39 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

OfflineLeAto
Listener

#14480035 - 05/19/11 06:03 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

eqt146 seriously....  smirnoff is sweet tasting, saphire blue has a pretty bottle, guess we should ban those as well...  Or maybe that crappy beer in tomato juice stuff...  Its about the individual users, their FAMILY(eqt146 you sound like a member of the tea or a conservative fuck that believes treat them symptom not the cause as most people do) Oh for the sake of the children.  Why don't you get involved in your kids lives instead of taking a high and mighty moral stance and proclaiming "its the devil bobby bouche)  FO you pos eqt146...  To everyone else sorry for the troll

Offlinej0nnyb0y05
IBelieveInBelivin
Male

Loc: Going Going, Back Back to
Re: [IL] Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker in Teen's Death [Re: LeAto] * 2
    #14480664 - 05/19/11 07:59 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

So she KNEW her son was going to drink (negligent parenting), drove him home when he was drunk (good parenting), he ran away and she didnt pursue him when he was drunk only texting him to come home(again negligent parenting), He dies.

This is 100% the parents fault. And they say that it's the fault of the beverage creator?

fuck you whore.

--------------------
.....Healing Of People Everywhere.....

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: [IL] Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker in Teen's Death [Re: veggie] * 2
    #14481038 - 05/19/11 09:07 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

So their son broke the law by drinking underage and walking around in traffic... and they are suing the company and convenience store.  And people are taking this seriously?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I fucking hate this culture.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

#14481453 - 05/19/11 10:18 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I thought the caffeine was removed from 4-loko ages ago.

Offlinewortiesbo
Male

Loc: new vegas
Re: [IL] Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker in Teen's Death [Re: BothHands]
    #14481563 - 05/19/11 10:33 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

they dont sell 4loco with caffiene here in georgia... i thought this was everywhere?

--------------------

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Re: [IL] Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker in Teen's Death [Re: wortiesbo]
    #14481569 - 05/19/11 10:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's an FDA thing.  As in Federal.  As in none of the states can sell it.  So wtf is with the article?

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Re: [IL] Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker in Teen's Death [Re: BothHands]
    #14481775 - 05/19/11 11:17 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

BothHands said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's an FDA thing.  As in Federal.  As in none of the states can sell it.  So wtf is with the article?

The parents are pissed off that they didn't remove the alcohol, too, so that their son can continue to drink his favorite drink.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Invisibleiamnotadream
Enis the Penis
Male User Gallery

#14482566 - 05/20/11 02:44 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

A WHOPPING 12% alcohol content, eh?

*continues sipping 92 proof spiced rum*

Offlineguest1
Mycena
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: [IL] Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker in Teen's Death [Re: iamnotadream]
    #14482612 - 05/20/11 03:01 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

:slowtard: McDonalds made me fat! It's not MMYYYYY fault! :slowtard:

Yeah exactly, I have some 80 proof (40% alcohol) and you don't see me dead.

He was drunk and "he was hit by a car" It wasn't the alcohol that killed him, it was him being retarded on alcohol and running in front of a car.

It should say:
"Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker After Their Underage Drunk Teenager Died From a Car Accident. Parents Say It's Not Their Fault, The Alcohol Company Forced Him To Do It."

Edited by guest1 (05/20/11 03:55 AM)

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
    #14482798 - 05/20/11 04:41 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

"This was a boy who was raised by concerned parents, who had a stable home life and lots of friends," said Jeffrey Simon of Simon, Eddins & Greenstone, LLP of Dallas, which is serving as co-counsel in the lawsuit. "What killed him was not the type of alcohol that adults might serve at a party. Four Loko is so deliberately different — it's sweet and fruity and marketed directly at the underage crowd – that it is far more dangerous than other drinks. And the founders of Four Loko knew that from the beginning."

Concerned parents wouldn't be letting their 15 year old kid go out and get fucked up all the time on 4-loko.  Highly doubt this is their 'little angel's' first time getting fucked up on this nasty corner-market bumdrink.

I like how a 22oz can becomes a 6 pack of beer because it's got a higher alcohol content.  I'm sorry but not everyone drinks 4.3% Ice House as their primary beer, some of us drink good beers with average %'s in the 7-9% range, making 12% nothing.

OfflineMisto
Scoop
Male

Loc: CO
Re: [IL] Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker in Teen's Death [Re: Maverick]
    #14483427 - 05/20/11 09:10 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Natural Selection.

This pisses me off... I'm not really a drinker but I've drank my fair share of four lokos and 2 of them gets me on a whole nother level and im 22 years old.

If a 15 year old is dumb enough to drink 2 of them and then to walk into traffic how the fuck is that the company's fault?

I'm really getting sick of this country tbh.

--------------------

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: [IL] Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker in Teen's Death [Re: Misto]
    #14483509 - 05/20/11 09:40 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ill bet it was a marilyn manson concert. hes really the one who should be sued because his music has messages in it that make people want to hurt themselves and do drugs.

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

#14483588 - 05/20/11 10:05 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'd sue that dead bitch and her family for costing my company millions in litigation fees.

Where in the fuck do they get off thinking they can take money from someone because their daughter ineptly ingested substances and killed herself?

The answer is that these shitheads are so "distraught" that they don't even see themselves as capable of accepting the blame that is rightfully theirs.

Maybe if they'd taught their daughter the first thing about ingesting potentially harmful substances she wouldn't be dead.  Who in the fuck dies from Four Loko anyway?  Fucking morons, that's who.

There are millions of heroin addicts that got high last night and are still alive.  Fuck this bitch's family.

--------------------

OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

Re: [IL] Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker in Teen's Death [Re: eqt146]
    #14483610 - 05/20/11 10:10 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

eqt146 said:
Really? "Simon pointed out that if Rupp had overindulged on most any other alcoholic beverage that night, he probably would have vomited or passed out. But the stimulants in the drink are known to mask the effects of being drunk, and so even more experienced drinkers don't realize they're intoxicated".

There you go. This company is deliberately marketing a toxic and dangerous chemical (ethanol), with other additives that make it even more dangerous, TO UNDERAGE MINORS WHO ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DRINK IT. This company is most definitely at fault. Do you seriously think it is justified to market highly-concentrated ethanol and caffeine to underage kids using appealing flavors, colors, etc?

I wish there weren't rules against flaming because you'd be on fire right now.

In short, yes it's justified.

Do you think it's justified to lock up the creators and marketers of a product for someone else's decision to imbibe it?  Where does ultimate responsibility lie?

Who is more responsible for the ingestion of Four Loko, those who choose to drink it or the people who make it available to be imbibed?

I've got a feeling you're going to get this one wrong.

--------------------

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Re: [IL] Family Sues Four Loko's Chicago Maker in Teen's Death [Re: ManianFH] * 1
    #14483926 - 05/20/11 11:25 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Yeah, they don't exactly hide how much alcohol is in their beverage.  As far as I understand, Four Loko has its ABV in the largest font allowed by the FDA.

So apparently the kid was illiterate.  So they should also sue the public school system for not adequately educating their 15 year to read food/alcohol product labels.

Quote:

mick said:
Ill bet it was a marilyn manson concert. hes really the one who should be sued because his music has messages in it that make people want to hurt themselves and do drugs.

Yeah he's a big fat meanie! One Bill O'Reilly interview will set him straight!

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order