Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Offlineshroomer33
Mack Daddy PIMP
Male

Loc: Beyond the Sun
Re: anyone here actually understand Quantum Physics? [Re: realfuzzhead]
    #14476509 - 05/19/11 01:17 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

realfuzzhead said:
Quote:

KrishnaDreamer said:
i once read that there was a one in (insert obscenely large number here) chance that your hand could go through a wall due to all the electrons lining up.

:aweoverdose:

Quote:

iwasaClown said:
All i remember is learning thangs about electrons being able to be in 2 places at once...so that means we could be in two places at once (parallel universes)

Is it possible all of this (the universe) is just what the inside of an electron is made of?:strokebeard:

its not so much that they are in two places at once, it that each space throughout the field has a particular "probability-density" that the electron will be there at that point in time. It was first interpreted to mean that they are nowhere in between point A and B, but was then realized in can equally mean they are everywhere inbetween point A and B. They take all possible paths and by adding up through a process known as "sum over histories" you get the probability density very near 1 that an electron will take a specific path more closely recognizable by the Newtonian laws of motion.

Also, there is the uncertainty principle that allows particles to be two places at once, or smeared out, if you will.
With all of this quantum mechanics stuff, there is a lot that is just interpretation.  There are also different mathematical methods to get the same answers.
Bohm had a completely different interpretation of quantum mechanics than what gets taught in school, but even he came to some really bizarre conclusions about quantum mechanics.  Do a google search for Bohm and quantum mechanics.  You should find some cool shit.

--------------------
Formula: 0
-------------

Diabolical prismatic streaks of bitterness frame the grim and frostbitten dawn; their furious glow enthroned upon arctic heavens, destined to reign above Lucifer’s Windows XP desktop wallpaper for all eternity.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebryguy27007
Cosmonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: anyone here actually understand Quantum Physics? [Re: shroomer33]
    #14476542 - 05/19/11 01:34 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm posting for my threads. I read a lot of pop-science in high school and got really interested in quantum physics and science. I started going to school for astrophysics and changed shortly afterwards. I will leave the number crunching to the professionals, just tell me the implications. It is all very interesting, but I will keep the reading to laymen level and keep it as a hobby and not a profession.

Offlineshroomer33
Mack Daddy PIMP
Male

Loc: Beyond the Sun
Re: anyone here actually understand Quantum Physics? [Re: realfuzzhead]
    #14476543 - 05/19/11 01:35 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

realfuzzhead said:
I know quite a few of us here are familiar with Schrödinger's experiments and the apparent wave/particle duality of microscopic particles, I know alot of us here have a decent understanding of the Qualitative explanations of Quantum Physics but does anyone have a Quantitative understanding of it?

Like does anyone here actually understand the Standard Model? OR the Feynman Diagrams?  Or the probability density of particles?

Ive been reading very heavily into Quantum physics, and man it is some HARD SHIT. Common sense has absolutely no place here.. but it is all so interesting. I plan on taking at least some classes that tie into this but I was wondering if anyone here has done this before?

how hard was it?

Thats what she said.

I get most of the standard model and its formulation.
Any questions?

--------------------
Formula: 0
-------------

Diabolical prismatic streaks of bitterness frame the grim and frostbitten dawn; their furious glow enthroned upon arctic heavens, destined to reign above Lucifer’s Windows XP desktop wallpaper for all eternity.

Invisibleifoundwaldo

Loc: Denver, CO Flag
Re: anyone here actually understand Quantum Physics? [Re: thoughts]
    #14476985 - 05/19/11 05:34 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

iwasaClown said:
What's a good book on this subject?:strokebeard:

Haven't read many books on the subject, but I used to search around the Internet and find all the information my little head could contain.

I really enjoyed Hawking's "A Brief History of Time." It is definitely written for the layman. It starts with the basics (Newtonian physics) and covers most of the interesting topics of relativity and quantum physics.

The chapters are short, but the writing is very dense in points. This would be my only complaint: Hawking sometimes compounds a lot of hard-to-visualize concepts into a single sentence, and some of these sentences took multiple reads before I could say, "I think I have an idea of what he's saying." :smile:

I guarantee that even if you only read chapter 2, you'll enjoy the read.

--------------------

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

Loc: No fuckin tellin
Re: anyone here actually understand Quantum Physics? [Re: ifoundwaldo]
    #14477047 - 05/19/11 06:05 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

This is why vortex based mathematics are sofa king awesome. It shows that nature has a deeper, more elegant pattern that doesn't need greek symbols in her description. The days of chemistry and physics and higher science in general being dependent upon long cumbersome equations are coming to an end.
:murray:

--------------------
Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. But, by that time you're a mile away and you got his shoes, so fuck em.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order