Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineClintHC
Stranger
Re: Failed first-time BRF cake colonization [Re: Vajrakila]
    #15099885 - 09/19/11 08:37 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hello again. I performed two inoculations in one weekend since my last post here, two jars each time. Procedure as follows:

1) Clean jars and pressure cooker
2) Prepare 2:1:1 mixture of vermiculite, brf, and tap water
3) Dry jars and fill each with the mixture till the beginning of where the lid goes on
4) Wipe the inside and outside of the top of the jar
5) Close the jars, rubber side up
6) Put microfiber/medical tape on each inoculation hole and aluminum foil over the top
7) Line the bottom of the pressure cooker with jar lids and a layer of aluminum foil
8) Fill the PC with water till the aluminum foil is just covered, then add the jars
9) Pressure cook for 90 minutes
10) Let cool overnight
11) Start a load of clean clothes for the inoculation including a lab coat
12) Take a shower and brush teeth
13) Empty bathroom, wipe all surfaces with isopropyl alcohol solution and Vim, mop the floor, spray with Lysol
14) After letting the Lysol settle, spray again
15) Clean the glove box
16) Put glove box into bathroom, and spray with Lysol for the last time
17) Take another shower and brush teeth again
18) Put on clean clothes and lab coat
19) Sanitize hands, put on white medical gloves, sanitize again, put on yellow kitchen gloves with sleeves tucked in, sanitize again
20) Spray self with Lysol (dunno if this is stupid or not)
21) Bring equipment into the bathroom: PC, homemade alcohol burner, lighter, spore syringe
22) Open the PC and put both jars into glove box
23) Light the alcohol burner, flame the needle till red hot, and then inoculate a jar without the needle touching anything else
24) Inoculate the other jar

If you ask me, this is pretty much perfect, and not much went wrong during the two procedures. The alcohol burner was crap so I had to flame with my zippo once or twice, but that's about it. Everything went extremely smoothly.

Both batches are contaminated.

So I've officially given up. Fuck mycology.

As a last ditch attempt, I pressure cooked a mix of cow manure and vermiculite, lay half of it down in a cardboard box, sprayed all the rest of my spore solution on top, then laid down the rest on top.

This box is now kept in my shed in a spot where light reaches it through the window once a day for a while. I doubt it'll work since I've read around here that this rarely does, not to mention the fact that the temperature here is a little low nowadays. Perhaps something will happen... :undecided:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekolie
Female User Gallery

Re: Failed first-time BRF cake colonization [Re: ClintHC]
    #15099906 - 09/19/11 08:44 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Did you use a layer of dry verm over the top of your 2:1:1 mixture?

OfflineClintHC
Stranger
Re: Failed first-time BRF cake colonization [Re: kolie]
    #15100553 - 09/19/11 11:54 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I did. Forgot to mention it.

OfflineFuckMeRunnin
REALLY good looking
 User Gallery

#15100791 - 09/19/11 12:52 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

100% failure rate? Seems like you may want to contact the vendor and say that there were trich spores mixed into the syringe and you discovered them while looking at the syringe under the microscope. Most people don't take near the precautions you did and have 100% success rates. Either the summer has brought an uncontrollable amount of trich to your area or that syringe was contamed. I'm leaning toward the syringe being contamed. All I do is PC grain, let it sit out on table till I'm ready. Put in glove box spray some lysol in the box(no shower, no clean clothes just gloves). I have a very very very low failure rate, and have never seen trich indoors yet. So I think it was the syringe. Plus you PCed while most first time growers steam and still don't see that high of a failure rate.

--------------------
Grain Jar to Homemade Mycobag Tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10954174

Offlinetrophycase
Dickface

Re: Failed first-time BRF cake colonization [Re: FuckMeRunnin]
    #15100946 - 09/19/11 01:18 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Don't say fuck mycology  :sad:  It sounds like it's not your fault.

If you're doing PF jars... You should have been 100% fine, unless your syringe is contam'd. I do not shower or put on clean clothes before inoculation. I do not use a glovebox. I only spray with lysol and clean all surfaces very thoroughly. Make sure hands (gloves)and all supplies are clean, and keep air circulation non-existant. I have only had one contam'd jar doing this, and it was a jar that didn't germinate. I left it to sit for a little over a month before it started getting cobweb in it...

P.S. I think taking two showers was a little overkill. :crazy2: Save some of that water to make new cakes with!

--------------------
All of the cultivation photos uploaded by this account were taken in an area of the globe where such practices are legal and uninhibited.

OfflineClintHC
Stranger
Re: Failed first-time BRF cake colonization [Re: trophycase]
    #15321817 - 11/04/11 12:20 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Here's an update.

My experiment putting the spores on manure failed as well. There was a sort of whitish hairy stuff growing on it, but it was very faint, and over time looked less and less white but there was never enough for me to tell.

When I threw it out, I noticed that the bottom of the box it was in had greenish mold on the bottom.

I let Ralph know about the possibility of contamination and linked him to this thread. He was amazingly nice enough to send me another 4 syringes free of charge, and recommended I get some from the strains Brazilian and GT, which I did.

After they arrived, I did another 3 jars as I had before. I took a look at them today, and all three are GOOD! There is plain white mycelium growing in them!

So I think it was because the syringes were contaminated in the end. There's also the possibility that my conditions weren't right for Psilocybe cubensis and that's why they didn't grow (since the strain growing now is GT).

But from what I've researched, the conditions should have been fine, so I do believe it was the syringes. I'm definitely ecstatic about this ^_^

OfflineClintHC
Stranger
    #15455565 - 12/02/11 04:51 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Just another update. I've inoculated two batches of 5 jars each. All ten jars are about halfway colonized at this point. No signs of contaminations. Thank you all again for your support and replies!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale